The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 September 2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

What do you guys think of IWC?

I was browsing the other day and came across with this interesting piece: The Portuguese dragon year edition. If am not mistaken its 25k. My question is, is it worth it? or would you better treat yourself, or invest in lets say a rolex, a patek, or an audemars? Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IW5001_SE_DragonYear_VS_2012.jpg (172.9 KB, 357 views)
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 05:49 AM   #2
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
They have some exceptional pieces. Not straight across board mind you, but few manufacturers do
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

But would you go for it? or have some better pieces in mind?
Old 11 September 2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Another look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IWC_5001_SE_DragonYear_2012.jpg (190.5 KB, 354 views)
Old 11 September 2012, 05:57 AM   #5
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Love the IWC Portuguese and that gold edition looks great as well.
Can't comment on whether you should get it or not, that's gotta be up to you.
Old 11 September 2012, 05:58 AM   #6
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
I was browsing the other day and came across with this interesting piece: The Portuguese dragon year edition. If am not mistaken its 25k. My question is, is it worth it? or would you better treat yourself, or invest in lets say a rolex, a patek, or an audemars? Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
"No" watch is an investment. I would say that a watch priced at 25k is going to be worse of an investment than one priced at <10k or >100k. It's sort of dead spot, where you're talking about a lot of money yet you're not getting some sort of horological masterpiece. For that reason, you don't get value seekers (as in the 2nd hand Rolex market) or serious collectors (as you would for some special ref. Patek perpetual calendar chronograph).

Regarding IWC - I like the company very much (though the pre-Richemont watches are what I collect). This particular watch is fairly tasteful for a special edition (thank goodness they kept the dragon off the dial). You should buy it if you like, however I can't imagine it's going to be a good investment. I would consider the much cheaper SS version - this is actually one of the only current IWCs that I really like.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 06:06 AM   #7
Auragentum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
or have some better pieces in mind?
"Better" is subjective and depending on the person "better" can range from its level of ruggedness, to in-house vs non-inhouse movement, to brand exclusivity, to how well it keeps its value, to history, to rareness, to... you get the point

I like IWC for the most part, but there are quite a few alternatives, depending on which type of watch you are interested in and which criteria you believe constitute "better".

Off the top of my mind I would mention brands like Rolex, Omega, JLC, Zenith as some of the more well known brands which have watches in similar price range and with watches which could be comparable with or better than the options from IWC. If strictly talking dress watches, JLC makes some very nice models which are in the same league or higher than the IW500125 you mention.

Btw, IWC is deliberately targeting the Chinese customers with the dragon theme and the production volume of 888 pieces
Old 11 September 2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I have tried to like them, I really have. But I just don't. Heck, they even send me a nice catalogue from time to time and an e mail every month or so.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Watchonisto
Banned

Watch: AP, ROLEX, PP, PAM
They make good watches
Watchonisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Great comments guys. You are right, the "watch as an investment" thing has been discussed to death and I would like to buy a watch if is something that I really like. But just thinking about the sale process of a used piece gives me a headache. As far as the IWC line goes i love them. They is something for everyone. I remember reading the column of the Watch snob in ask men magazine and he said that IWC was like the song the village people. They have something for everyone, the diver, the pilot, the sail man etc. What a tool!! But their dress watches are really something and their movements are very well made. Are they in house? Specially the one in their portuguese?

I am really a sucker for in house movements and prefer to try and acquire something with tradition and history in mind. Thats why I mentioned patek or AP.

And you are right, they might be targeting the chinese people with the Dragon thing, although 888 pieces is very limited quantity. And yes, thank God the dragon is not on the face
Old 11 September 2012, 06:54 AM   #11
316lad
"TRF" Member

I think IWC are really quite lovely in all the right ways.

I love the styling, movements and personality of the pieces. They really look good.

I'm going to spend some money on one someday soon.

(Just got the gist of the Thread - and yes, I also think they're a good investment watch as well. They stand alone, in terms of styling, they work well and they're...I don't know...different; all the things that make a good collectable piece.)
316lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 07:01 AM   #12
conrail
"TRF" Member

That particular watch is awesome. Across the board they have very pretty dials but their newer case size is bloated out of proportion; many around 44m. Not up there with Patek or AP though.
Old 11 September 2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

I think this particular model is a 42.5 mm
Old 11 September 2012, 07:40 AM   #14
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
I have an IWC pilot's chronograph (371701) and love its bold styling, clear design and large size. If I were in the market for another watch, I would seriously consider the Portuguese range, as they are distinctive and original. I also like the fact that they are focussing increasingly on in-house movements.

I am currently getting my pilot's chronograph serviced (the triangular 12 o'clock marker fell off, in warranty by a few days!) so the outcome of this interaction will determine my future relationship with the brand.

One other bonus point re IWC - you hardly ever see them in the wild and they are very understated.
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 07:41 AM   #15
apeogre
"TRF" Member

This particular watch is very tall. It's almost out of proportion tall. But I believe they made it that tall so they could fit the 7 days movement in it. I've tried on the SS one and really liked the face, but the height just didn't work. My 2 cents.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 07:54 AM   #16
Boardman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, IWC
Fell in love with the port chrono last year. Really wanted the 7 day but was just too big for my liking. Love the iwcs. Need a pilot one of these days

Boardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 07:56 AM   #17
caryyee
"TRF" Member

I think IWC have sorta lost their way in their sports watch range, but their more classic / dressy watch lines have a unique look that no other volume luxury emualtes as well. Love their Portugieser line. Unfortunately they are a little too big for my small Asian wrists :-((
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
They make some winners. I've got one in my stable and I'm always on the lookout for another rare bird. The new in house movement is quite large, so you're not going to see anything under 42mm.
I don't care much about resale much because I don't flip my watches. But, I'd want at least 20%.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 09:06 AM   #19
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

i love iwc and have had a few, flipped some but this one has never left my stable

i love the 42.5 mm size plus the thickness, it makes the portuguese auto completely different from the other port lines. Get one you will love it.
Old 11 September 2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Wow. Beautiful. Love that Blue Port.
Old 11 September 2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Maxfli
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
One of the top 10 all-time great timepieces in my humble opinion. Nothing else in the IWC range really moves me, however.
Old 11 September 2012, 12:08 PM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
very nice watches , distinctive styling.
shop for price as they can be found steeply discounted
Old 11 September 2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Lt.Arclight
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270,116300
IWC is a fantastic company,but if I'm spending 20K or more, its going to be a Patek. IWC's are sold frequently at 35-40 percent off retail price.And you will take a beating if you flip watches.

Their workmanship is fantastic. Just beware that "investment" watches are,at least IMO, few and far between. Bottom line, if you like it-buy it. But shop around and don't even think about paying retail.
Lt.Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 01:45 PM   #24
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeogre View Post
This particular watch is very tall. It's almost out of proportion tall. But I believe they made it that tall so they could fit the 7 days movement in it. I've tried on the SS one and really liked the face, but the height just didn't work. My 2 cents.
x2. I love the ref. 5001 7-day power reserve line, but it sits like a three-story house on your wrist. WAY too thick.
Old 11 September 2012, 01:49 PM   #25
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
i love iwc and have had a few, flipped some but this one has never left my stable

i love the 42.5 mm size plus the thickness, it makes the portuguese auto completely different from the other port lines. Get one you will love it.

What a beauty

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 09:04 PM   #26
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I really like the look of the IWC Port's. It's certainly a big watch with a bigger look because of the wide open face but a beauty. IMO, when you make this thing in gold and put it in the $25k range, it's suddenly in very stiff competition (think Patek, gold Rolex on gold bracelet of all sort, VC, etc.), and I'm not sure it belongs there. I'd be worried about depreciation if you are concerned about resale-- it could be huge on this watch.

If it were stainless, I wouldn't hesitate.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:14 PM   #27
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
I really like the look of the IWC Port's. It's certainly a big watch with a bigger look because of the wide open face but a beauty. IMO, when you make this thing in gold and put it in the $25k range, it's suddenly in very stiff competition (think Patek, gold Rolex on gold bracelet of all sort, VC, etc.), and I'm not sure it belongs there. I'd be worried about depreciation if you are concerned about resale-- it could be huge on this watch.

If it were stainless, I wouldn't hesitate.
I agree with you regarding the competition at 25k, but I don't think a solid gold Rolex is much to write home about. It's the same exact watch as the SS model, only made out of a large hunk of gold. In a horological sense, this IWC is a lot more desirable than a gold Day Date, Sub, GMT, or Daytona (in the case you don't care about a Chrono). It's also a lot less "in your face" than the YM2.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 12:41 AM   #28
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I've been an IWC fan for a long time.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 03:55 AM   #29
jim251
Banned

Last year I came close to buying a IWC pilot's watch (see avatar) but my friendly AD advised me to hold on for the refurb to the entire line for 2012. By the time that happened I had fallen far down the Rolex hole and never got back to the IWC.

Very recently I again took a close look and even tried a few on. I guess Top Gun, ugh, is IWC's answer to James Bond, but if one can get past that, the basic MK XVII 3-hander is now pretty sweet at 41mm. And the Spitfire chrono is now actually readable with it's beautiful new slate dial. To me these are the "pilot" watches to have, with many clones/copycats/imitators out there, just as the Rolex Sub is the real deal in its world.

I also must add that the bracelet for the IWC was redesigned this year and now is IMO certifiably awesome, with perfect glide-lock-like, on-the-fly micro-adjustability. The link add/remove mechanism is also new with no pins or screws visible at all when the watch is on the wrist. Beautiful...

IWC has been on my radar since before even Rolex so it's probably just a matter of time. I wish I was a fan of chronos, which I'm not, because the IWC Pilot Chronos are sweet. That said, I think the Mark XVII w/bracelet is about as nice as it gets in that style of watch (great wrist presence) and won't fight the impulse buy, whenever it strikes...
jim251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 04:25 AM   #30
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Wow Mike!! Great collection! Love that Vintage Aquanat. I think I might be thinking on pulling the trigger soon a blue or black Port. Some great photos guys have made me a believer.