The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 October 2018, 07:53 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
My Sub is advertised to be used as a diving watch, I have looked around and cannot see where it says that it should be used when carrying out work with heavy machinery. I have never seen a Rolex advertisement of it being used with a jackhammer on dry land.
this is the confusion. we are not responding to the OP jackhammer, we are responding to a blanket statement about regardless if a watch is designed for an activity because its expensive i wont wear it for an activity it hypothetically is designed for. If you have a rolex jackhammer master II then i assume you might actually jackhammer with it and it would probably be expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_UKSheffield View Post
I can’t understand the desire to wear a £5k plus watch whilst doing that sort of work. Regardless of whether the watch can withstand it or not whether it was made for it or not
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 08:18 PM   #32
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
this is the confusion. we are not responding to the OP jackhammer, we are responding to a blanket statement about regardless if a watch is designed for an activity because its expensive i wont wear it for an activity it hypothetically is designed for. If you have a rolex jackhammer master II then i assume you might actually jackhammer with it and it would probably be expensive
Thats fabulous, thank you, that caused me to laugh. Brilliant explanation, that wins the internet for me.

I cant even respond. Brilliant.

I think it's all down to price, what one can afford and is willing to pay for a watch to work in. I work part time in a supermarket for 12 hours a week (3 days) because I was bored of being retired, my work colleagues would be horrified to know that the watch I wear (Sinn U1) would take me 5 months of my take home pay to buy.

I'm still laughing about the Rolex Jackhammer Master II, I didn't even know there was a Jackhammer Master I, so it just shows how much I know.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 08:56 PM   #33
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
There's a Jack Hammer Master II avaiable? Wow early release for Basel 2019.....
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 08:58 PM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatHarry View Post
There's a Jack Hammer Master II avaiable? Wow early release for Basel 2019.....
i hope not the last thing we need is another watch based around a function people wont use it for

they tried it with a GMTII as a travel watch, and people go on vacation with a G shock

come to think about it, the Yachtmaster is the best professional watch ever... you sit on a boat and drink cocktails with little umbrellas in them, and you are using the watch as intended. The YMII, thats more for racing boats, dangerous.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 09:07 PM   #35
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I believe in the right tool for the right job. Just because you can does not mean that you should.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 09:14 PM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would use a Rolex for hard work that I don't think will mark it up, but I often find any watch cuts into my skin, as my wrist swells quick quickly when it is in action, so I'd rather have it off. This post sounds a lot dirtier than I had intended...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 09:16 PM   #37
1675-David
"TRF" Member

sometimes it just happens, you forget to take it off. I'm working with some big power tool, drilling a hole in concrete or felling trees and I realize I've still got my watch on. It gives me a sense of relief to know it's a Rolex and it's not going to fall apart. These watches perform very well under pressure...

1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:31 AM   #38
austinp
"TRF" Member

My daily is a sub and i never give it much thought regarding my work day.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:44 AM   #39
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

I was using a hammer drill the other day. After about a minute of drilling, I realized I had my sub on. I took it off and put it in my pocket until I was done. I just felt the vibration was way too much for anything mechanical and it would be foolish of me to leave it on.

Not saying it will break but I would honestly be surprised if it didn’t eventually mess something up. And a jackhammer has a lot more vibration. I frankly wouldn’t feel comfortable with it, in my honest opinion.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:05 AM   #40
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
You mean like those people on here who buy a 200mph supercar and only drive it at the speed limit? Or those who have a 4X4 and never go off road or even those that buy a 160 mph 4X4 who use it as a city car. Those are better analogies my friend.

My Sub is advertised to be used as a diving watch, I have looked around and cannot see where it says that it should be used when carrying out work with heavy machinery. I have never seen a Rolex advertisement of it being used with a jackhammer on dry land.

Are we saying that those people that want to keep their watch as nice as possible and who cant afford to buy one every 5 minutes when it becomes so scratched that it looks bad should not be allowed in this elitist work ware club?

My Rolex is special to me, I worked hard for it, I will be damned if some rich person is going to tell me that I should bang it around with abandon to show how little I care for the item or the money I spent on it.

I'll be honest, if someone can afford to scratch his watch till it looks bad while doing manual work, then crack on, you are a richer person than me.

Are we all so rich that we don't value our expensive possessions? Are we all so elitists that we look down on those that don't want to scratch their watches for the simple fact of taking them off while carrying out manual labour? Here's a fact, the polished areas of these watches and bracelets scratch very easily, honestly, they do. Why would I use that watch rather than a Sinn U1 (still an expensive watch) for manual work?

I have never, ever looked in a jewellers for my work gear.
The replacement value of my 4x4 is more than a platona. It goes offroad, hauls hay, pulls my boat and stock trailer, and has quite a few “character” marks on it. I wasn’t careless with it. I simply bought the best available truck I could, then used it for its intended purpose. I still have it 17 years on. Buy right, use right, and your tools will outlast you (I have some of my grand dads carpentry tools)

A Rolex is the same animal. It’s a robust tool intended to go where I go. If my wrist can take it, my wristwatch can take it too. I’m not careless with it, but it doesn’t come off my wrist until the recliner calls my name at days end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 92D67EED-EE58-4F79-A4B0-99639BFF6112.jpeg (164.5 KB, 40 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:26 AM   #41
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The replacement value of my 4x4 is more than a platona. It goes offroad, hauls hay, pulls my boat and stock trailer, and has quite a few “character” marks on it. I wasn’t careless with it. I simply bought the best available truck I could, then used it for its intended purpose. I still have it 17 years on. Buy right, use right, and your tools will outlast you (I have some of my grand dads carpentry tools)

A Rolex is the same animal. It’s a robust tool intended to go where I go. If my wrist can take it, my wristwatch can take it too. I’m not careless with it, but it doesn’t come off my wrist until the recliner calls my name at days end.
Are you bothered if you dent or scratch your truck, if someone hits it in the parking lot and scratches it, do you shrug your shoulders and think, thats what happens, it's a tool, it has added character?

But, you absolutely miss my point, you may be able to afford a 10K watch and call it a tool, congratulations, it may be a tool to you, not to me it isnt, it is a luxury, my tool watch cost much less. This is what gets me about rich people, they don't live in the world I live, I save for my watch. Money means nothing to some, they dial up their account and buy another watch. I don't have that luxury. So don't turn round to me and say I should scratch my watch because thats what it is meant for, thats bollocks to me. If it's not to you, then congratulations, if you cant see my point, then well done, you are truly a success, go ruin your watch and don't give it a second thought. I think different.

Truthfully? You absolutely miss my point. I have nothing more to say to say on the subject.

DAVE

Old 16 October 2018, 07:55 AM   #42
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Are you bothered if you dent or scratch your truck, if someone hits it in the parking lot and scratches it, do you shrug your shoulders and think, thats what happens, it's a tool, it has added character?

But, you absolutely miss my point, you may be able to afford a 10K watch and call it a tool, congratulations, it may be a tool to you, not to me it isnt, it is a luxury, my tool watch cost much less. This is what gets me about rich people, they don't live in the world I live, I save for my watch. Money means nothing to some, they dial up their account and buy another watch. I don't have that luxury. So don't turn round to me and say I should scratch my watch because thats what it is meant for, thats bollocks to me. If it's not to you, then congratulations, if you cant see my point, then well done, you are truly a success, go ruin your watch and don't give it a second thought. I think different.

Truthfully? You absolutely miss my point. I have nothing more to say to say on the subject.
Apologies Dave. I did not intend to offend.

And I am far from rich. Disappointed that you think I don’t work hard for what I have.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 10:19 AM   #43
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Apologies Dave. I did not intend to offend.

And I am far from rich. Disappointed that you think I don’t work hard for what I have.
I also apologise also Abdullah, that was far from my intent my friend.

DAVE