The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 October 2018, 02:30 AM   #1
doramas
Banned

Hard work and Rolex. Compatible?

Does hard work with great tools spoil the movement? Is it compatible to do those jobs with a Rolex?

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:34 AM   #2
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

I can’t understand the desire to wear a £5k plus watch whilst doing that sort of work. Regardless of whether the watch can withstand it or not whether it was made for it or not
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:42 AM   #3
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
I did this type of work one time for about 20min or so with my old Datejust from 1983, worked great, lots of fun too
Old 15 October 2018, 02:53 AM   #4
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_UKSheffield View Post
I can’t understand the desire to wear a £5k plus watch whilst doing that sort of work. Regardless of whether the watch can withstand it or not whether it was made for it or not
I never understood it either. It's like wearing your watch in the shower or to bed.

It is actually possible to take a watch off sometimes.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 02:59 AM   #5
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I am in agreement with this.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:11 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It probably has more to do with the fact that some people, believe it or not, buy a watch and then don't want to think about it all the time. They also dont constantly think about how much it costs, but want something to put on that is reliable and forget about it until they need to know what time it is.

IMO there is a lot of overthinking what situations are or are not acceptable and makes the entire premise of owing such a watch a stressful experience.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:19 AM   #7
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
i am in agreement with this.
+1
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:44 AM   #8
doramas
Banned

Everyone agrees, but only one person has responded to what I mean. It has always been said that it is a
watch tool. What's the problem then?
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:51 AM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
It probably has more to do with the fact that some people, believe it or not, buy a watch and then don't want to think about it all the time. They also dont constantly think about how much it costs, but want something to put on that is reliable and forget about it until they need to know what time it is.

IMO there is a lot of overthinking what situations are or are not acceptable and makes the entire premise of owing such a watch a stressful experience.
Yes, correct and I worked with pneumatic hammers as well wearing one of my Rolex watches, never any problems.
Great brand our Rolex.
Nowadays, evolving from a regular wearer to being more of a collector I strap on my G-shock but would not take off my Rolex if I forget the G and the job comes up requiring me to do some heavy hitting.
Old 15 October 2018, 03:56 AM   #10
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Everyone agrees, but only one person has responded to what I mean. It has always been said that it is a

watch tool. What's the problem then?

The jackhammer, is going to be an issue long term. That thing is violent and the constant shaking is not going to be great for certain watches. If it’s one time, i don’t see you ever noticing an issue.

Other than that, you could probably wear one for just about anything. Isn’t that kind of the point? It’s the number one reason i don’t wear a speedmaster consistently. I want to go to the office, soccer practice, shower, swim, all of the above without having to think about what watch I’m wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:06 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Yes, correct and I worked with pneumatic hammers as well wearing one of my Rolex watches, never any problems.
Great brand our Rolex.
Nowadays, evolving from a regular wearer to being more of a collector I strap on my G-shock but would not take off my Rolex if I forget the G and the job comes up requiring me to do some heavy hitting.
those are some extreme examples but if a watch is designed for it then its all good. RM has some watches specifically designed to play tennis as that puts a lot of stress on a movement. Build to withstand 10,000 Gs and its costs an arm and a leg and im sure people who buy it wouldn't actually wear it for that even though thats what its for.

Im sure its fine for jackhammering too.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 October 2018, 04:09 AM   #12
jabbawock545
"TRF" Member

Your watch will take more of a hammering than you can. Just put it on and don’t worry about it.

jabbawock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:11 AM   #13
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There is that.

There is also the fact that a watch, to some people is a major purchase, I am one of them, I have never earned more than £30K a year ever. If I badly scratch or break my watch, it is unlikely that I would be able to afford another one any time soon, to me, scratches don't add character to a watch, they just make it a scratched watch. My Sub Date is a luxury item to me.

Others on this board can scratch or break their watch and have enough financial ability to not give that fact a second thought, they can throw it in the bin and buy another without worry, they can quite justifiably class their £6K watch a "tool," I can't.

I don't overthink wearing my watch or "baby" it, I really don't, but, in the same token, I look after it and try to keep it looking nice for as long as possible. If I am doing manual work, I wear a G shock or a Sinn U1 that has taken many bangs and still looks brand new.

DAVE

Old 15 October 2018, 04:14 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is that.

There is also the fact that a watch, to some people is a major purchase, I am one of them, I have never earned more than £30K a year ever. If I badly scratch or break my watch, it is unlikely that I would be able to afford another one any time soon, to me, scratches don't add character to a watch, they just makes it a scratched watch. My Sub Date is a luxury item to me.

Others on this board can scratch or break their watch and have enough financial ability to not give that fact a second thought, they can throw it in the bin and buy another without worry, they can quite justifiably class their £6K watch a "tool," I can't.

I don't overthink wearing my watch or "baby" it, I really don't, but, in the same token, I look after it and try to keep it looking nice for as long as possible. If I am doing manual work, I wear a G shock or a Sinn U1 that has taken many bangs and still looks brand new.
if i was a construction worker or something high impact i agree i wouldn't wear my watch but if i happened to be in a situation where i was using some heavy equipment for some reason i wouldn't think twice. More a reflection on the ever growing list of things people overthink watch wearing. Vacation, travel, biking, swimming, diving, skiing, just sort of normal activities. The list is seemingly endless. No different than someone who splurges on an expensive pair of shoes and wont go outside with them on. IMO its better not to have them at all. I know a guy who collects shoes and yes, he doesnt wear them.

i was referring to this bit... "Regardless of whether the watch can withstand it or not whether it was made for it or not"
If you have a watch designed to withstand jackhammering and you own it, then wear it when you jackhammer.
Old 15 October 2018, 04:17 AM   #15
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
There is that.

There is also the fact that a watch, to some people is a major purchase, I am one of them, I have never earned more than £30K a year ever. If I badly scratch or break my watch, it is unlikely that I would be able to afford another one any time soon, to me, scratches don't add character to a watch, they just makes it a scratched watch. My Sub Date is a luxury item to me.

Dave, you just about said it all.

What it boils down to is each persons particular situation.

everybody!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"

Last edited by 214270Explorer; 15 October 2018 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: typos
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:23 AM   #16
jabbawock545
"TRF" Member

Works well in the garden, quick dip in the sink and its as good as new.

jabbawock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:29 AM   #17
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if i was a construction worker or something high impact i agree i wouldn't wear my watch but if i happened to be in a situation where i was using some heavy equipment for some reason i wouldn't think twice. More a reflection on the ever growing list of things people overthink watch wearing. Vacation, travel, biking, swimming, diving, skiing, just sort of normal activities. The list is seemingly endless. No different than someone who splurges on an expensive pair of shoes and wont go outside with them on. IMO its better not to have them at all. I know a guy who collects shoes and yes, he doesnt wear them.
I tend to agree, on the travel etc and I do think there are occasions where the list of "can I wear etc" does get a bit tedious. I do rotate my watches to keep them at their best though, now I am retired, my sub is worn 90% of the time without thought.

I just think about what I am doing and wear accordingly, on the rare times I am gardening, I don't wear my sub or my Crocket & Jones shoes, I don't wear a watch and wear an old pair of army boots, but, living in the countryside, I have no problem wearing those C&J shoes down muddy track or lanes in the rain. Horses for courses perhaps?

Edit; As an afterthought, I have no problem people wearing their watches in whatever situation they desire, there is no "that's wrong" in my musings, people should wear their watches how and where they want.

DAVE

Old 15 October 2018, 04:32 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
There is that.

That's right.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:38 AM   #19
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbawock545 View Post

Yep, changing sprinkler heads too.

Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:40 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tend to agree, on the travel etc and I do think there are occasions where the list of "can I wear etc" does get a bit tedious. I do rotate my watches to keep them at their best though, now I am retired, my sub is worn 90% of the time without thought.

I just think about what I am doing and wear accordingly, on the rare times I am gardening, I don't wear my sub or my Crocket & Jones shoes, I don't wear a watch and wear an old pair of army boots, but, living in the countryside, I have no problem wearing those C&J shoes down muddy track or lanes in the rain. Horses for courses perhaps?

Edit; As an afterthought, I have no problem people wearing their watches in whatever situation they desire, there is no "that's wrong" in my musings, people should wear their watches how and where they want.
within reason is the key. Drives me crazy when someone has a GMT and then leave it home when they go anywhere. Doesn't mean you should wear it to a war zone, but to a normal location its crazy.

As i said above. If a watch is designed for a particular function and you own it then it just seems odd to not wear it when engaged in that activity.

There are some watches i wear or dont wear for certain activities absolutely but its related to what they are for.
Old 15 October 2018, 04:50 AM   #21
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
within reason is the key. Drives me crazy when someone has a GMT and then leave it home when they go anywhere. Doesn't mean you should wear it to a war zone, but to a normal location its crazy.

As i said above. If a watch is designed for a particular function and you own it then it just seems odd to not wear it when engaged in that activity.

There are some watches i wear or dont wear for certain activities absolutely but its related to what they are for.
Totally agree.

DAVE

Old 15 October 2018, 05:52 AM   #22
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I have a friend who is a Paramedic and owns a Sub. That watch was given to him by his mother when she was still alive. It NEVER leaves his wrist. Sure, the bracelet is a little scuffed up, but that watch has seen some pretty rough use, including rescues from burning and crashed cars, water rescues, and flying dust and debris from countless helicopters.

Still works like a Sub is supposed to, and has stories to tell.
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:19 AM   #23
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbawock545 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Yep, changing sprinkler heads too.

It's a watch, not fragile cut crystal. It works fine clearing brush too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Too many trees.jpg (239.6 KB, 207 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:03 AM   #24
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Yes!! Nice to see a TOOL watch being used as such. Kinda like cars. I never understand people with a car that I would love to have and then NOT DRIVE IT.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:19 AM   #25
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
This
Old 15 October 2018, 11:38 AM   #26
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Strange idea... What does the price have to do with it? If it was designed to be a work watch, one should not be hesitant to work with it.

An analogy, my boat costs several times more than any of my watches, and I take it out as often as I can. It was built to be on the water, not in the barn. In the same way, my Rolex's were built to be in a work environment, not in the safe.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 12:06 PM   #27
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Strange idea... What does the price have to do with it? If it was designed to be a work watch, one should not be hesitant to work with it.

An analogy, my boat costs several times more than any of my watches, and I take it out as often as I can. It was built to be on the water, not in the barn. In the same way, my Rolex's were built to be in a work environment, not in the safe.
THIS!!! Thank you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:00 PM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Absolutely.

If you can afford to buy it, you can afford to fix it.

Hard honest work done responsibly while wearing a fine watch is a life pleasure.

Add a beer afterwards and I could die a happy man.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:12 PM   #29
Star Ferry
Banned

I understand the desire to keep the watch on and not fret about it, but operating a jackhammer would be a good reason to take the Rolex off IMO
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:43 PM   #30
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

You mean like those people on here who buy a 200mph supercar and only drive it at the speed limit? Or those who have a 4X4 and never go off road or even those that buy a 160 mph 4X4 who use it as a city car. Those are better analogies my friend.

My Sub is advertised to be used as a diving watch, I have looked around and cannot see where it says that it should be used when carrying out work with heavy machinery. I have never seen a Rolex advertisement of it being used with a jackhammer on dry land.

Are we saying that those people that want to keep their watch as nice as possible and who cant afford to buy one every 5 minutes when it becomes so scratched that it looks bad should not be allowed in this elitist work ware club?

My Rolex is special to me, I worked hard for it, I will be damned if some rich person is going to tell me that I should bang it around with abandon to show how little I care for the item or the money I spent on it.

I'll be honest, if someone can afford to scratch his watch till it looks bad while doing manual work, then crack on, you are a richer person than me.

Are we all so rich that we don't value our expensive possessions? Are we all so elitists that we look down on those that don't want to scratch their watches for the simple fact of taking them off while carrying out manual labour? Here's a fact, the polished areas of these watches and bracelets scratch very easily, honestly, they do. Why would I use that watch rather than a Sinn U1 (still an expensive watch) for manual work?

I have never, ever looked in a jewellers for my work gear.

DAVE