The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2018, 03:06 PM   #1
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Sub c for sub c lv

As some of you guy probably know, tomorrow I and family will go to japan. I has been researching on Jackroad, Kamekichi, Housekihiroba web like once every 1 minute.

I kinda come up with idea to flip my sub c ln to sub c lv.

I probably need to add up some cash around usd3000.

Please someone tell me whether Im crazy or not.

Many points of my consideration:

1. Black sub is like everywhere
2. Hold value better???
3. I can install the cash up to 6 months with 0% interest
4. Sub c lv here in my country sells like 5-10% higher than their selling price

Please someone help
DanielBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 03:11 PM   #2
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBoncu2902 View Post
Please someone tell me whether Im crazy or not.

Many points of my consideration:

1. Black sub is like everywhere
2. Hold value better???
3. I can install the cash up to 6 months with 0% interest
4. Sub c lv here in my country sells like 5-10% higher than their selling price
I'd say you're crazy. The MSRP on the LV is only $500 more than the LN. The current hype is what's pushing it, but who knows how long that will last. By criteria:

1. Who cares? Which one do you prefer?
2. Nobody can really know in the long run. Watches aren't investments, so you're better off just wearing the one you like.
3. If you have to finance a watch, you can't afford it. Essentially, you would be financing a loss on your LN. This alone is a pretty strong argument for sticking with the watch you already have.
4. Again, hype. Which one do you like better? You obviously liked the LN enough to buy it in the first place. How much better do you like the LV?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 03:19 PM   #3
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I would not but if its something you want then go for it. The heart wants what it wants.
Old 20 March 2018, 03:20 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I like the idea since lvc is the one for me....but 3k on top sounds like a lose situation to me.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I’d do it if I really liked the LVc. I’m old school and like the 16610 LV better. Those are gonna be your watch and $ 5-10+,000 more.

If you really want the LVc though it’s unlikely to get any cheaper.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 03:36 PM   #6
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I'd say you're crazy. The MSRP on the LV is only $500 more than the LN. The current hype is what's pushing it, but who knows how long that will last. By criteria:

1. Who cares? Which one do you prefer?
2. Nobody can really know in the long run. Watches aren't investments, so you're better off just wearing the one you like.
3. If you have to finance a watch, you can't afford it. This alone is a pretty strong argument for sticking with the watch you already have.
4. Again, hype. Which one do you like better? You obviously liked the LN enough to buy it in the first place. How much better do you like the LV?
Thank you for your response. Price wise if you compare to MSRP, everybody would say Im crazy. But Im crazy now remembering how my wife asked me to take ln over lv 5 years ago.

1. I like both and up to now, i can not decide which one is better. Its probably like 50.1% - 49.9% to LV side. But i might be biased

2. Im no flipper... so I dont consider watch is investment but im sure everybody here would love to see their "thing" hold value better, including you

3. Honestly I can afford a few more watch cash though. But 0% interest for 6 months? Why not? It is 0%? I would not think to finance if i need to pay an interest.

4. I know its a hype, nobody know whether price is going stay the same or not. Only Rolex know

But anyway, thank you for your response.
Old 20 March 2018, 03:43 PM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Yeah, I don't get this stigma against financing when it's 0%. That's free money and leverage. I'd finance at 0% all day, every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 03:45 PM   #8
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Yeah, I don't get this stigma against financing when it's 0%. That's free money and leverage. I'd finance at 0% all day, every day.
I misunderstood what he was getting at. 0% is great until you can't pay it back in six months, and then you get socked with interest. But if OP can afford to pay the tab now, and also in six months, and he's just using the 0% to get free use of capital during that time, then yeah...why not?
Old 20 March 2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I would wait a week
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 03:50 PM   #10
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
I’d do it if I really liked the LVc. I’m old school and like the 16610 LV better. Those are gonna be your watch and $ 5-10+,000 more.

If you really want the LVc though it’s unlikely to get any cheaper.
Thank you Gaijin!!!

I try to explain more about my thought. Honestly LN and LV both are gorgeous watch. I probably like LV more, but once again i might be biased. But surely I can not say i like LN over LV. Can say its 50-50.

Now if the case is 50-50, 2nd thought is coming down to the value. Which one should you choose now that probably hold value better (or incrase more in value). I know im already late when the time I choose LN over LV 5 years ago, usd500 difference become usd3000 difference in 5 years. Im no somone who can predict a future, but i dont see the gap will be smaller soon.

So do you think am I right? Do you think ceramic LV will have the same value like Kermit over sub black?
Old 20 March 2018, 03:56 PM   #11
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
For an additional 3,000 ? I won’t flip it.
Carrera_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 03:57 PM   #12
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
I would wait a week
After Basel honestly can make everything worse or better. Depends on the condition. If @Basel, rolex really discontinuing sub C Lv, what dk you think gonna happen? Usd3000 will probably usd10k in a day hahaha

Kermit nightmare is once again happening
Old 20 March 2018, 03:59 PM   #13
Cru Jones

Like with any watch, if you love it, yes, for sure! Based on your post, not sure if you do....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:00 PM   #14
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
If the LV speaks to you more than your current LN, I'm in full support for the trade. I personally agree with this, but that's also because I've never loved the LN enough for me to consider it a perfect go-to everyday watch.

What I wouldn't support is trading your LN in for a LV and paying an additional $3K+ for it. I'm assuming this wouldn't just be due to a discount on selling your LN but a combination of that and paying a premium for the LV to have it today. From what I've heard firsthand from ADs and what I've seen a friend who recently purchased the Hulk, it's not an impossible watch to get new. I'd maybe suggest getting an LV at MSRP and selling your LN. This should help lessen that incremental cash investment.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:01 PM   #15
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Like with any watch, if you love it, yes, for sure! Based on your post, not sure if you do....
Which part of it showing im not sure liking it
Old 20 March 2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Cru Jones

Quote:
Which part of it showing im not sure liking it
The 4-step analysis struck me as being more technical/practical than emotional. But, I could very well be misinterpreting, sorry.

All I can say is that unless this is an investment play, the best reason to get the LVc is that "you HAVE to have it".... and then there's no need for analysis. :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:13 PM   #17
Andad

Watch: A few.
I prefer the black dial on the ceramic model even at retail price.

Too much green on the LVc for me.

But if it's what you really want then go for it if you can find the right one.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:14 PM   #18
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
3 grand more??? I'd never do that. The Hulk is in demand because speculators think its going to be discontinued, so they want to buy one to flip and make a quick buck, that's why. That's the crude reality of it. By giving away 3 grand you're feeding the monster.

Are you 100% sure you want a green watch that can turn vivid green in daylight? Have you seen it in the flesh, tried it on? If the answer is yes, then buy it because you like it, not because it sounds like a good investment. Green watches will never be timeless classics. Before all this hype, the Hulk was not easy to resell, people would lose cash on the LV as opposed to the LN.

So again, buy if you love green. I took a risk with a green diver but paid only €900 for it. When I pay 10 grand or more, I want to make sure I won't get tired of the watch too soon.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:17 PM   #19
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Go for it my friend!
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:23 PM   #20
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
3 grand more??? I'd never do that. The Hulk is in demand because speculators think its going to be discontinued, so they want to buy one to flip and make a quick buck, that's why. That's the crude reality of it. By giving away 3 grand you're feeding the monster.

Are you 100% sure you want a green watch that can turn vivid green in daylight? Have you seen it in the flesh, tried it on? If the answer is yes, then buy it because you like it, not because it sounds like a good investment. Green watches will never be timeless classics. Before all this hype, the Hulk was not easy to resell, people would lose cash on the LV as opposed to the LN.

So again, buy if you love green. I took a risk with a green diver but paid only €900 for it. When I pay 10 grand or more, I want to make sure I won't get tired of the watch too soon.
Well said. It's not just a matter of flipping the LN for the LV. It's taking a $3k bath in the process.
Old 20 March 2018, 04:24 PM   #21
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
If the LV speaks to you more than your current LN, I'm in full support for the trade. I personally agree with this, but that's also because I've never loved the LN enough for me to consider it a perfect go-to everyday watch.

What I wouldn't support is trading your LN in for a LV and paying an additional $3K+ for it. I'm assuming this wouldn't just be due to a discount on selling your LN but a combination of that and paying a premium for the LV to have it today. From what I've heard firsthand from ADs and what I've seen a friend who recently purchased the Hulk, it's not an impossible watch to get new. I'd maybe suggest getting an LV at MSRP and selling your LN. This should help lessen that incremental cash investment.

If i can get LV with msrp price, I wont think twice. I will surely get it haha..

But seems it is almost zero% chance. To give you broader information about how AD work here in Indonesia. One big company who i know have the only license to sell Rolex has worked together with bank to provide a 0% interest installment up tp 24-36 months.

You know how sweet it is for someone who able to buy in MSRP then selling it again cash with big margin AND still able to install those money 0%!!!!!!

Money doesnt fall from tree, but if you can get it here in MSRP. It is indeed fall from tree.

Maybe we indonesian like installment hahah
Old 20 March 2018, 04:38 PM   #22
speedbird90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610LV
Nah mate, don't let the hype get to you. Keep your sub C. The hype for the Hulk will die down.
speedbird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 04:41 PM   #23
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post

I touched it, tried it quite plenty of time. As I said, i originally choosed LV over LN 5 years ago but my wife said I was crazy to choose green over black as my first Rolex.

I probably not on your guys level yet. If im buying watch, i want to make sure I dont buy something that losing value too much. I need to like It, and i need my money safe there. Maybe im being too stingy.

My other hobby already so expensive
Old 20 March 2018, 04:44 PM   #24
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird90 View Post
Nah mate, don't let the hype get to you. Keep your sub C. The hype for the Hulk will die down.
Thank you. Im not too long in this hobby yet. But can you memorize some rolex hype that end up shrinking the watch price become even lower than MSRP??

I heard Daytona once experiencing those fake hype?
Old 20 March 2018, 04:57 PM   #25
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
If i can get LV with msrp price, I wont think twice. I will surely get it haha..

But seems it is almost zero% chance. To give you broader information about how AD work here in Indonesia. One big company who i know have the only license to sell Rolex has worked together with bank to provide a 0% interest installment up tp 24-36 months.

You know how sweet it is for someone who able to buy in MSRP then selling it again cash with big margin AND still able to install those money 0%!!!!!!

Money doesnt fall from tree, but if you can get it here in MSRP. It is indeed fall from tree.

Maybe we indonesian like installment hahah
My apologies. I didn't notice you live in outside the US when I wrote my original message. Based on what you've said, that sure puts you in a tough situation in your local market. I still think part of my advice still holds true -- I wouldn't cough up an extra $3K to bridge the difference in the trade. I think LV prices are artificially rich right now if you consider the history of this particular model since it's launch. Also, after re-reading your posts again, I think you're in a position where it's worth waiting it out to see what happens on getting a better deal for the LV. By that I mean you seem a bit split on the LN and LV, and it's not just due to the additional cash outlay the LV requires.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 05:03 PM   #26
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Thank you. Im not too long in this hobby yet. But can you memorize some rolex hype that end up shrinking the watch price become even lower than MSRP??

I heard Daytona once experiencing those fake hype?
Can someone please explain whether this condition ever happened before?
Old 20 March 2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Once it’s in your head, it’s only going to end one way. I’d look to make the trade, but I’d try to get more favourable terms. The LN is also rising, so I don’t see a 3k difference necessarily. By offering 0% they may be able to inflate the price a little. I’d look elsewhere and pay cash for the difference and you may be able to save a few bucks.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 05:21 PM   #28
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

With only 0.2 % difference on your liking scale, sellers remorse is a high probability!
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 05:27 PM   #29
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
3000usd is crazy, especially if your flipping a like for like (ie used for used).
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 05:30 PM   #30
troways
"TRF" Member

Both are great but LV is more collectable. $3000 is acceptable for the future because LV is more difficult to get .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2202018152833.jpg (223.6 KB, 503 views)
troways is offline   Reply With Quote