The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 March 2020, 12:20 PM   #3991
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Real Name: Chris M.
Location: Great White North
Posts: 144
Global Coronavirus tracker https://ncov2019.live/
Crazy Canuck is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 12:24 PM   #3992
Dawg2
"TRF" Member
 
Dawg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Global Coronavirus tracker https://ncov2019.live/
Mortality rate of 4.5%

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Dawg2 is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 12:29 PM   #3993
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Real Name: Chris M.
Location: Great White North
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2 View Post
Mortality rate of 4.5%

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Of those tested.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 12:35 PM   #3994
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member
 
Letsgodiving's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Real Name: Mike
Location: Virginia, US
Watch: SD 16600
Posts: 4,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Personal communication from a colleague in Detroit regarding mandatory Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders for Coronavirus patients:

....the percentage of patients put on a ventilator who eventually get off them is in the single digits, and most of those are younger. Some US hospitals haven't been able to successfully wean anyone off ventilator support.
This must be getting out there because Dr. Birx was asked about it in the press conference today and stated:

"Please for the reassurance of people around the world, to wake up this morning and look at people talking about creating DNR situations, Do Not Resuscitate situations for patients, there is no situation in the United States right now that warrants that kind of discussion."

She may have been talking about it in the context of ventilator availability. I'm sure it is a hot topic in the medical community right now.
__________________
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Epicurus (341–270 BC)
Letsgodiving is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 12:39 PM   #3995
Dawg2
"TRF" Member
 
Dawg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Of those tested.
Correct. It could be higher (those that died prior to being tested) or lower (as more get tested and recover). Keep in mind some countries (Russia / China) are not being forthright with their numbers.

The point being, look at Italy and Spain. That is a pretty good indication of how serious this is. Coupled with the fact that those that go on a ventilator are on them for 14+ days and many have a poor diagnosis for survival once on a ventilator.

We will be on and off quarantine protocols for an extended period unless an anti-viral or vaccine is available.

It bothers me when people compare this with the flu.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Dawg2 is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 12:56 PM   #3996
jatco
"TRF" Member
 
jatco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Real Name: Thomas
Location: YVR
Watch: 116233/79190
Posts: 47,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Exactly. Can't trust China or Russia. China is lying. People are dying.

I'm surprised POTUS hasn't told China to take their debt and shove it.
That's pretty much a political statement if I ever heard one before. Ya think... ??
__________________
.

.
' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now  
Old 27 March 2020, 01:32 PM   #3997
Andad
2024 Pledge Member
 
Andad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Real Name: Eddie
Location: Australia
Watch: A few.
Posts: 36,777
I have just watched the Queensland update on the news.

Have they lost the plot?

Have they decided to go with 'herd immunity' as there were crowds at the polls with no noticeable separation?


https://www.theguardian.com/australi...rs-experts-say


In any event their borders are closed and time will tell if this was a bad decision.
__________________
E

Andad is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 01:34 PM   #3998
Star Ferry
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: down by the river
Posts: 4,926
I have heard dozens of ambulances here in Chicago, just west of the Loop. friends in Manhattan say the sirens are now constant. RIP.
Star Ferry is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 01:46 PM   #3999
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I have heard dozens of ambulances here in Chicago, just west of the Loop. friends in Manhattan say the sirens are now constant. RIP.
But how are you feeling???

Hope you are starting on the upslope towards recovery.
__________________
Jason

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 01:49 PM   #4000
RWH
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New York
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I have heard dozens of ambulances here in Chicago, just west of the Loop. friends in Manhattan say the sirens are now constant. RIP.
Actually to be fair, the sirens are constant even before the coronavirus. I live in manhattan most of my life and sirens don't even bother me because I'm so used to hearing it throughout the day. It's actually less sirens believe it or not since the lockdown started.
RWH is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 02:03 PM   #4001
Star Ferry
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: down by the river
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWH View Post
Actually to be fair, the sirens are constant even before the coronavirus. I live in manhattan most of my life and sirens don't even bother me because I'm so used to hearing it throughout the day. It's actually less sirens believe it or not since the lockdown started.
I've lived in Manhattan and didn't think it was constant sirens, but yes they were common. I'm not there right now, just relaying what a few friends told me. Their sensitivity to it could be higher these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
But how are you feeling???

Hope you are starting on the upslope towards recovery.
thanks. Lungs/chest still burning a bit. taking Z Pack, acetaminophen and vitamin C. If still symptoms on Sunday, the doctor said he'll get me a COVID test.
Star Ferry is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 06:16 PM   #4002
makak
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I have just watched the Queensland update on the news.

Have they lost the plot?

Have they decided to go with 'herd immunity' as there were crowds at the polls with no noticeable separation?


https://www.theguardian.com/australi...rs-experts-say


In any event their borders are closed and time will tell if this was a bad decision.
For the first time ever, I refuse to line up in that madness and vote. You just know it's going to be a complete cluster*&&& tomorrow
makak is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 06:55 PM   #4003
swatty
"TRF" Member
 
swatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Real Name: Peter
Location: Sydney
Watch: The Game
Posts: 17,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by makak View Post
For the first time ever, I refuse to line up in that madness and vote. You just know it's going to be a complete cluster*&&& tomorrow
I agree, stay home like they want you to do
__________________
5513, 7928, 1601(gifted to my daughter), 16610LV, 14060, 16610(Random serial),116610, ,79280P, 70330, 25600TB, 792500BM, M56000, 79030B, 25707B/21 (won this special watch),
swatty is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 07:38 PM   #4004
Rock
2024 Pledge Member
 
Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Real Name: Rocky
Location: Australia
Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Posts: 17,649
Wife and I applied for Postal Votes as we had no intention of going anywhere near a polling station which I would regard as a germ-incubator on a similar level to a cruise ship. Apparently more than half of all registered voters have already done so at the pre-voting stations that open weeks before the event.
I would be very surprised if anyone is fined for not voting. I think it will be a case of "any excuse will be accepted".
__________________
Cellini 4112. Sub 14060M. DJ 16233. Rotherhams 1847 Pocket-watch.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 07:50 PM   #4005
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: H
Location: North Carolina
Watch: M99230B-0008
Posts: 5,672
Interesting article about a white paper on strategies, costs and benefits of same.

It argues that the "surrender" approach would have a higher economic cost than proponents acknowledge and also break the social contract of government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...store-economy/

Stay safe.
__________________
The King of Cool.

Last edited by mountainjogger; 27 March 2020 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
mountainjogger is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 08:33 PM   #4006
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member
 
sgwatchguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Real Name: KP Jimmy
Location: Singapore
Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Posts: 6,597
There must be an investigation into the WHO once the situation improves and the pandemic is behind us. What they knew and when, what they did about it, their shocking deference to regimes and towing the official lines. Their role and charter should be re-examined. When 3Bn are under a lockdown, it means the WHO has failed and the entire leadership especially the director general must resign.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
sgwatchguy is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 09:01 PM   #4007
Dawg2
"TRF" Member
 
Dawg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
There must be an investigation into the WHO once the situation improves and the pandemic is behind us. What they knew and when, what they did about it, their shocking deference to regimes and towing the official lines. Their role and charter should be re-examined. When 3Bn are under a lockdown, it means the WHO has failed and the entire leadership especially the director general must resign.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could not agree more. They are broken, that in and of itself is a blinding flash of reality.
Dawg2 is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 09:17 PM   #4008
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member
 
sgwatchguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Real Name: KP Jimmy
Location: Singapore
Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Posts: 6,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2 View Post
I could not agree more. They are broken, that in and of itself is a blinding flash of reality.

I’m surprised no one’s calling for their heads. A month back they were objecting to nations putting flight restrictions on China, now they’re trying to shame countries into crippling lockdowns while praising the Chinese response. That guy needs to go, he’s failed miserably and the WHO has no credibility left, at least till the same guys in charge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
sgwatchguy is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 09:24 PM   #4009
Art 1
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida, Canada
Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Posts: 30,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
I’m surprised no one’s calling for their heads. A month back they were objecting to nations putting flight restrictions on China, now they’re trying to shame countries into crippling lockdowns while praising the Chinese response. That guy needs to go, he’s failed miserably and the WHO has no credibility left, at least till the same guys in charge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true, I heard repeatedly how I was from a resist nation for wanting to ban flights from China, Now, I constantly hear I'm from a careless society that is endangering other bordering nations.
Art 1 is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 09:25 PM   #4010
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member
 
DLRIDES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Real Name: Don
Location: NC/WY
Watch: Me
Posts: 4,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Exactly.

I'm surprised POTUS hasn't told China to take their debt and shove it.
__________________
”When citizens learn to vote themselves the treasury, they limit prosperity.”
DLRIDES is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 09:36 PM   #4011
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member
 
GB-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Watch: addiction issues
Posts: 36,848
CNBC reporting UK PM has CV
__________________
GB-man is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:10 PM   #4012
Dawg2
"TRF" Member
 
Dawg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
CNBC reporting UK PM has CV
Just saw that.
Dawg2 is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:11 PM   #4013
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member
 
joeychitwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Way Up North USA
Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Posts: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
This must be getting out there because Dr. Birx was asked about it in the press conference today and stated:

"Please for the reassurance of people around the world, to wake up this morning and look at people talking about creating DNR situations, Do Not Resuscitate situations for patients, there is no situation in the United States right now that warrants that kind of discussion."

She may have been talking about it in the context of ventilator availability. I'm sure it is a hot topic in the medical community right now.
The difference is that my friend and his colleagues are dealing with the virus on the front lines. Birx is discussing this as a politician standing on a stage surrounded by politicians.
joeychitwood is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:14 PM   #4014
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member
 
jaisonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Watch: 5 digit models
Posts: 1,515
Published this morning. My wife (a M.D.) told me last month this was likely going on with the test kits.

“ The coronavirus test that wasn’t: How federal health officials misled state scientists and derailed the best chance at containment”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...OTMlcZ-vvM-4jE
jaisonline is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:32 PM   #4015
djgallo
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Eastwest
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
The difference is that my friend and his colleagues are dealing with the virus on the front lines. Birx is discussing this as a politician standing on a stage surrounded by politicians.
The political comments are not necessary.....we ALL want to keep this thread open....
djgallo is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:33 PM   #4016
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member
 
jaisonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Watch: 5 digit models
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
The political comments are not necessary.....we ALL want to keep this thread open....
Yep.

I had to briefly lock our COVID-19 topic yesterday on Brickpicker.
jaisonline is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:39 PM   #4017
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I would be very surprised if anyone is fined for not voting. I think it will be a case of "any excuse will be accepted".


In Australia are you fined for not voting?
Or was that an auto-correct snafu...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:44 PM   #4018
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member
 
Patton250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Brett
Location: Florida
Watch: 5205R
Posts: 5,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Yep.

I had to briefly lock our COVID-19 topic yesterday on Brickpicker.
Yet you just linked that hit piece from a remarkably biased newspaper that was written to accomplish one thing?
__________________
Morality does not derive from consensus. It only comes from one place.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:47 PM   #4019
gnuyork
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Yet you just linked that hit piece from a remarkably biased newspaper that was written to accomplish one thing?
What to give people facts about what's really going on? Bias and facts are two different things.
gnuyork is offline  
Old 27 March 2020, 10:47 PM   #4020
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 40,656
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

If I could reissue an earlier request - please resist the urge to post politically slanted opinions per TRF rules.

Things have been up and down in all the areas where we live - and the urge to rant about officials of this country or that is strong. Please let it go. If you can’t let it go, find a Facebook page to rant. But leave it off this thread.

And let’s not attack each other either...

We all thank you in advance - no fingers pointed in any direction. The vast majority here have done great - and the Mods have thinned the herd when needed.

to the Mods.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Takuya Watches

Bobs Watches

Asset Appeal

My Watch LLC

OCWatches

DavidSW Watches

Coronet


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2024, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.