The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20 March 2020, 07:41 AM   #2881
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
How do the apparent cases of reinfection differentiate this outlook in your view, if we will not achieve herd immunity.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...-test-positive
Reinfection is possible and can occur with any infectious agent. Sometimes it’s caused by an inadequate immune response to the first infection. Other times, it’s cause by a rapid mutation of the infectious agent. It remains to be seen what the cause(s) of reinfection are associated with the Coronavirus. A high reinfection rate would obviously be bad for the overall course of the pandemic.
Old 20 March 2020, 07:44 AM   #2882
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
My gut feeling is that science will, if not prevail, at least blunt the severity of the pandemic. There will still be suffering, deaths and disruption. But based on a 30 year career in emergency medicine, I have faith in the ingenuity, determination and persistence of the world’s medical communities, and in the vast majority of people who will do the right thing for the good of the many.
Thanks Doc.

Stay safe.
Old 20 March 2020, 07:47 AM   #2883
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It’s not. That was canned about 24 hours after it was announced (though even then it wasn’t the core of the strategy, rather an intended side-effect). The Imperial study posted and quoted extensively above saw to that.
Agreed. Herd mentality doctrine has gone the wayside.

Stay safe.
Old 20 March 2020, 08:01 AM   #2884
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
There are quite a few Monday morning quarterbacks here aren’t there?

What I don’t understand is Italy. How can that little country have 1/3 of all the deaths in the world????? They have now surpassed China with the amount of deaths with only half the known cases.
The reason for Italy:

1. Unique social structure where cost of living has driven multiple generations to need live together within the same household.

2. Area most impacted initially is industrial center. If you review satellite images of pollution and its reduction over Italy recently, you will see the north is most greatly impacted. It's very likely for there to be a high correlation between air quality and respiratory health. Cigarette smoking is still very common in Italy compared to some other countries as well.

3. The Industrial North of Italy has a large population of international workers that help in the fashion industry for less expensive labor and that traveled frequently between initial outbreak center and the breakout center in Italy. Combined with more frequent travel from the Middle East which was experiencing a large initial outbreak as well caused quick initial spread in a country that wasn't able to place as draconian lockdown as China was able to reduce transmission due to the free flowing movement among the EU.

I worry the same issues could hit the US industrial NE. Hopefully the seasonal change can lessen with UV light having shown to kill the pathogen in some cases and Humidity having shown to make aerosol particulates to become heavier and drop to the ground more quickly as opposed to dry weather which allows those pathogens to remain suspended in air longer. The US also has a large degree of international trade and travel which imo has made this almost impossible to contain initially.

For all the criticism of the US, I highly doubt any other country would've been able to do much better with a similar diverse population, climate, and international travel/trade hub. Perhaps if boarders would've been completely locked down from all directions months ago, but I'm not sure that wouldn't have just been equally criticized.
Old 20 March 2020, 08:35 AM   #2885
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Reinfection is possible and can occur with any infectious agent. Sometimes it’s caused by an inadequate immune response to the first infection. Other times, it’s cause by a rapid mutation of the infectious agent. It remains to be seen what the cause(s) of reinfection are associated with the Coronavirus. A high reinfection rate would obviously be bad for the overall course of the pandemic.

The good news thus far is the reinfections rate reported by China in the study showed 0.2% reinfections.

WHO also noted that was in the range of error rates of testing too soon after recovery. Patients can be coronavirus positive for a time after COVID-19 symptoms are over.

More study of the phenomenon in other hotspots like Europe is needed to confirm if it is any of the aforementioned causes you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 20 March 2020, 08:52 AM   #2886
Recondope
"TRF" Member

One topic I have yet to see discussed is that of mental health. With all the uncertainty, panic, stress and now for a good many being cooped up indoors with limited social interaction I would imagine this would have an effect on even folks with no history of mental illness or anxiety issues especially if this continues for several months.
Old 20 March 2020, 09:02 AM   #2887
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondope View Post
One topic I have yet to see discussed is that of mental health. With all the uncertainty, panic, stress and now for a good many being cooped up indoors with limited social interaction I would imagine this would have an effect on even folks with no history of mental illness or anxiety issues especially if this continues for several months.
I’m keeping a close eye on my lawn.

“HEY kid............yeah YOU.......”
Old 20 March 2020, 09:09 AM   #2888
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Apparently some American actress called Evangeline Lilly has said that she values her freedom more than her life so she will be carrying on with life as normal.

That’s “Kate” from Lost, and she plays “Wasp” in the Ant Man/Marvel stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 March 2020, 09:19 AM   #2889
dimag333
"TRF" Member

That actress is Canadian btw, can’t believe everything you read on the internet

steve
Old 20 March 2020, 09:21 AM   #2890
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
I guess you didn’t see the “are you wearing your Rolex while quarantined” thread

steve
Is this really a thread?
Old 20 March 2020, 09:23 AM   #2891
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Is this really a thread?
Yes, cringe

steve
Old 20 March 2020, 09:25 AM   #2892
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Is this really a thread?

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 March 2020, 09:26 AM   #2893
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Is this really a thread?
But, is it SAFE?
Old 20 March 2020, 09:27 AM   #2894
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
Update from Pennsylvania: Pa. Governor: All Businesses Not ‘Life-Sustaining’ Must Shut Down

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-down/2333625/
Old 20 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #2895
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
Update from Pennsylvania: Pa. Governor: All Businesses Not ‘Life-Sustaining’ Must Shut Down

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-down/2333625/
Well if you’re going to finish off the workingman in the state you might as well do it all at once right? The slow painful demise seems unreasonable.

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 March 2020, 09:30 AM   #2896
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondope View Post

The toll it could take is large. My sister and one niece are practicing behavioral therapists. I asked last weekend.

No large bump up in new clients but the exiting ones have expressed issues. Not an alarming trend yet.

One is in NC, other is VA/DC area.

Old 20 March 2020, 09:31 AM   #2897
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Well if you’re going to finish off the workingman in the state you might as well do it all at once right? The slow painful demise seems unreasonable.
Isn't the "workingman" and everyone else going to get a $1000 check from the government?
Old 20 March 2020, 09:31 AM   #2898
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

‘About to Get Real’: Top Doc Warns of ‘Many’ Coronavirus Infections in Philly
“With this data, we have to assume that this virus is spreading very rapidly through the city of Philadelphia,” Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley said.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...hilly/2333462/
Old 20 March 2020, 09:35 AM   #2899
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Isn't the "workingman" and everyone else going to get a $1000
In the United States the house of representatives is in charge of the bank. Besides I don’t see how a sitting president can stroke checks to anyone. Yes I realize you were being facetious. No real need to bring that into this thread because it will just derail it and get it closed.

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 March 2020, 09:38 AM   #2900
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah i just had half my yearly business get pushed to after June, gonna be a busy fall! It’s best though I’m not complaining

steve
Old 20 March 2020, 09:39 AM   #2901
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Isn't the "workingman" and everyone else going to get a $1000 check from Trump?

Do you know how to edit a post?
If not, no time like the present to learn.

Let’s drop the political quips, please.

Old 20 March 2020, 09:42 AM   #2902
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Let’s bury that comment, I literally try to get me balanced news on the subject here

This thread kept me ahead of the “curve” really helped me prepare my business for the shut down weeks before it was mentioned

steve
Old 20 March 2020, 09:46 AM   #2903
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Do you know how to edit a post?
If not, no time like the present to learn.

Let’s drop the political quips, please.

I fixed my response.

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 March 2020, 09:47 AM   #2904
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Let’s bury that comment, I literally try to get me balanced news on the subject here

This thread kept me ahead of the “curve” really helped me prepare my business for the shut down weeks before it was mentioned

steve
Truth brother.
Old 20 March 2020, 09:58 AM   #2905
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Yes, cringe

steve
Just found it, really sad it's allowed to stay up...
Old 20 March 2020, 10:15 AM   #2906
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
My gut feeling is that science will, if not prevail, at least blunt the severity of the pandemic. There will still be suffering, deaths and disruption. But based on a 30 year career in emergency medicine, I have faith in the ingenuity, determination and persistence of the world’s medical communities, and in the vast majority of people who will do the right thing for the good of the many.
Hear Hear!!!!! Thank you Joey, I expressed this opinion and was assaulted by a Doctor for having an uninformed and ridiculous view; it is a prayer and a hope that the hundreds of thousands that COULD die from this will not. Thank you for your opinion and hope, as an experienced Doctor.

PS, now go get to work on my room.
Old 20 March 2020, 11:55 AM   #2907
newu5er
"TRF" Member

All 40 million residents in the state of California have been ordered to stay home to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Old 20 March 2020, 12:00 PM   #2908
Bryant Park
Banned

In NYC and the surrounding areas this is no longer a scare, a theoretical discussion, or a hassle. It is now a full blown life and death health crisis.

A 21 year old young man we know well from NJ is hospitalized, 2 NYC colleagues 1 confirmed the other waiting test results (2 others in their building but different employer confirmed). A friend in UK whose mom, dad and brother all have it (dad 82 in bad shape), former colleagues 46 year old husband in a London hospital waiting "official" notice but was told you wouldn't have been tested unless you have it.

All in the last 36 hours. I understand the desire to debate aspects of this pandemic but certain aspects are beyond debate. Families are and will be suffering and losing members.

This is not political, pro or anti media, or about winning an argument. We are now at a tipping point where this discussion should avoid the minimizing of this tragedy because even the few victims I know personally (and the others across the world) are unfortunately too many, and there are regrettably many more to come.

Have a good night and be safe!
Old 20 March 2020, 12:02 PM   #2909
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,

Coronavirus: California estimates 25.5 million residents will get it over 8 weeks

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/coro...pyToPasteboard

Like I’ve been saying, we’re all going to get it, at least 60% of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 March 2020, 12:08 PM   #2910
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
In NYC and the surrounding areas this is no longer a scare, a theoretical discussion, or a hassle. It is now a full blown life and death health crisis.

A 21 year old young man we know well from NJ is hospitalized, 2 NYC colleagues 1 confirmed the other waiting test results (2 others in their building but different employer confirmed). A friend in UK whose mom, dad and brother all have it (dad 82 in bad shape), former colleagues 46 year old husband in a London hospital waiting "official" notice but was told you wouldn't have been tested unless you have it.

All in the last 36 hours. I understand the desire to debate aspects of this pandemic but certain aspects are beyond debate. Families are and will be suffering and losing members.

This is not political, pro or anti media, or about winning an argument. We are now at a tipping point where this discussion should avoid the minimizing of this tragedy because even the few victims I know personally (and the others across the world) are unfortunately too many, and there are regrettably many more to come.

Have a good night and be safe!
Welp, my already high anxiety level just went up a few notches
Closed Thread