The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 19 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #2671
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I have been following the stats diligently. Russia’s data is a big problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020...emic_in_Russia

They are mainly counting people who were diagnosed outside of Russia, as if there were no contractions happening within Russia. At this point, that is criminally inexcusable. Russia has the worst kind of situation- one where they not only don’t know what they have, but refuse to find out.

I emailed my senator and asked him to contact the CDC. We need a travel ban to and from Russia. Look- little Norway has 1,500 cases and we’re supposed to believe that great big Russia has only 150?

Russia isn’t alone. Mexico, Pakistan and many others have checked their reports as imported. This has been going on from the beginning.

Look at the WHO report directly here, just scroll down to the tables.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=20876712_2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 19 March 2020, 10:00 AM   #2672
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
Username checks out...feel like I should trust this guy. Oh and 8525 cases in US now.

Wikipedia can be edited by many people so it is at best a secondary source.

Old 19 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #2673
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Wikipedia can be edited by many people so it is at best a secondary source.

Was a joke or attempt to lighten mood a little. (He posted stats - his name is statsman).
Old 19 March 2020, 10:10 AM   #2674
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
Was a joke or attempt to lighten mood a little. (He posted stats - his name is statsman).

That is funny - I was only focused on the wiki - went over my head.

Old 19 March 2020, 10:10 AM   #2675
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
It was posted on the WFLA TV news Tampa website about the Pinellas-Clearwater beaches staying open.

Florida beaches remain open and packed
After living in Tampa for 10 years - not shocked by this at all. This is busy season and things will get very bad quickly if they don't have the revenue coming in during high season. Should be interesting what goes one in the state.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:17 AM   #2676
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
After living in Tampa for 10 years - not shocked by this at all. This is busy season and things will get very bad quickly if they don't have the revenue coming in during high season. Should be interesting what goes one in the state.
The good news is there are very few older people living in Florida.

Can’t see a problem here.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:24 AM   #2677
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Just as info, that website is not source data, they are using an algorithm. It’s a nice looking dashboard. If it helps people take the situation more seriously then there’s value in that.

I’m not saying people are wrong in believing it - just that their algorithm has been overshooting actual WHO reports.

Not for Singapore. The Singapore number is updated within an hour after Ministry of Health Singapore published the daily result.

The number for Malaysia also accurately mirrors their official source.

Why do you think all the numbers in this site are just algorithm? I have just quoted 2 countries that tie to the source accurately. In fact, they provide a source next to the daily commentary for each countries and at times, breakdown of cities.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:26 AM   #2678
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

Why do you think all the numbers in this site are just algorithm? I have just quoted 2 countries that tie to the source accurately.

Because I read their data schema publicly posted in their FAQ methods and procedures.

Old 19 March 2020, 10:32 AM   #2679
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Because I read their data schema publicly posted in their methods and procedures.

They provide sources to click next to the daily commentary for each countries and at times, breakdown of cities. These sources pointed to official figures from countries' health authorities, while a few were from the countries' media. They don't look like algorithms to me.

Do have a look.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:33 AM   #2680
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been following the stats diligently. Russia’s data is a big problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020...emic_in_Russia

They are mainly counting people who were diagnosed outside of Russia, as if there were no contractions happening within Russia. At this point, that is criminally inexcusable. Russia has the worst kind of situation- one where they not only don’t know what they have, but refuse to find out.

I emailed my senator and asked him to contact the CDC. We need a travel ban to and from Russia. Look- little Norway has 1,500 cases and we’re supposed to believe that great big Russia has only 150?
I am completely on board with aggressive handling of the virus and am very suspicious of Russia, but I do have a devils advocate question...

If Russia had a large number of cases like we suspect, wouldn’t that be hard to hide? Hospitals being overrun and reports leaking out of the calamity on blogs and social media? Unless that is all being clamped down??

It’s very odd they have so few cases given their climate and population.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:38 AM   #2681
77T

Quote:
They provide sources to click next to the daily commentary for each countries and at times, breakdown of cities. These sources pointed to official figures from countries' health authorities.

Do have a look.

I have looked. As I’ve said before, I respect everyone’s opinion to rely on what they choose to read. Check their FAQ.

For my part, chasing specific numbers is like the old saying “you can’t see the forest for the trees”.

It is the larger picture that matters to me - the trends and the actions that we can take in the US to flatten the curve.

I believe each country can do it their own way and I respect that, too.

Old 19 March 2020, 10:41 AM   #2682
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I am completely on board with aggressive handling of the virus and am very suspicious of Russia, but I do have a devils advocate question...

If Russia had a large number of cases like we suspect, wouldn’t that be hard to hide? Hospitals being overrun and reports leaking out of the calamity on blogs and social media? Unless that is all being clamped down??

It’s very odd they have so few cases given their climate and population.
I imagine they’re having a rough “flu season”.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:51 AM   #2683
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have looked. As I’ve said before, I respect everyone’s opinion to rely on what they choose to read. Check their FAQ.

For my part, chasing specific numbers is like the old saying “you can’t see the forest for the trees”.

It is the larger picture that matters to me - the trends and the actions that we can take in the US to flatten the curve.

I believe each country can do it their own way and I respect that, too.

Just to be clear, this not a debate on an opinion. I'm raising a query on your post about this site publishing numbers based on algorithm, although I saw citation/sources in this site that tie to each country's official government or health authorities figures, while a few are from that country's media. And from my knowledge of Singapore and Malaysia numbers, the sources for these 2 countries are legit.
Old 19 March 2020, 10:55 AM   #2684
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
It does seem like Singapore and Japan have been relatively unscathed. Early testing and quarantines? Hygienic populace? Why have they succeeded while things look dire in Italy?
Old 19 March 2020, 10:57 AM   #2685
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Is this accurate

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

steve
Old 19 March 2020, 11:01 AM   #2686
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
It does seem like Singapore and Japan have been relatively unscathed. Early testing and quarantines? Hygienic populace? Why have they succeeded while things look dire in Italy?
In Italy you have multiple generations living together.

And a less than desirable healthcare system.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 19 March 2020, 11:03 AM   #2687
chappuy1750

Watch: JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

Dripping. Sarcasm. Appreciated.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:06 AM   #2688
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Just to be clear, this not a debate on an opinion. I'm raising a query on your post about this site publishing numbers based on algorithm, although I saw citation/sources in this site that tie to each country's official government or health authorities figures, while a few are from that country's media. And from my knowledge of Singapore and Malaysia numbers, the sources for these 2 countries are legit.
Thanks for your help in keeping this real.

To anyone posting here, please try to stick to official facts. There is no need to spread confusion and disinformation. Unless you have a better source than the BBC and local Italian media, then you should not be trying to imply that their numbers are incorrect.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:07 AM   #2689
chappuy1750

Watch: JLC
Quote:

I too have been curious about the 144 million Russians who seem to have largely avoided COVID-19. Yup - "flu season" will surely be rough for them!
Old 19 March 2020, 11:12 AM   #2690
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Probably because they took this seriously early enough. The climate in Singapore may also be helping. It appears as though hot humid conditions are unfavorable for the virus.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:13 AM   #2691
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Quote:

During Russia’s brutal winters many people die on the street, the Muscovites call them teardrops. Russians have been through hell and back the last hundred years, don’t think this Corona virus will freak them out. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 March 2020, 11:15 AM   #2692
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
Pretty much (counting cases is trying to hit a moving target)
Old 19 March 2020, 11:16 AM   #2693
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Can't speak for Japan and Italy, but for Singapore, there is a team that performs contact tracing on contacts of all infected individuals. They will find out where these infected individuals travel and interacted with in the previous 2 weeks, and then issue the contacts with Stay-Home-Notice or quarantine for the next 2 weeks.

The next step is clustering. There will be a team linking all these recently infected individuals with previously infected individuals to identify common clusters. Sometimes, the police will be roped in to assist with this process. Clustering allows the health authority to understand the source/type of transmission and say if clusters always emerge from a particular religious event (just an example), then similar types of religious events will be suspended for the sake of public health.

Above are in addition to the normal advisory on border control, social distancing, sick-stay-home, hygiene, early testing, wear mask, etc. Maybe the hot and humid weather also help in a way, but I don't have the scientific citation to back this assertion.
Old 19 March 2020, 11:18 AM   #2694
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ39 View Post
During Russia’s brutal winters many people die on the street, the Muscovites call them teardrops. Russians have been through hell and back the last hundred years, don’t think this Corona virus will freak them out. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s fine for Russia. We don’t need Covid-19 carrying Russians unknowingly sharing the virus around the world (and in the US).
Old 19 March 2020, 11:29 AM   #2695
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Guidelines for our global community dealing my with this global epidemic

Be safe everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 115F5E89-F873-47E6-A92A-E4A6D89F0797.jpeg (216.4 KB, 200 views)
Old 19 March 2020, 11:41 AM   #2696
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
The bad news is that this seems to be completely out of control in some major population centers such as London. Official statistics also seem unreliable and too low.

"Following UK health advice, Soryl called emergency services – about three times before she managed to get through. She gave her details, and symptoms.

"They essentially said you just need to stay at home, there's nothing we can do.

"They stopped testing people a couple of days before I got sick."

She was told only those over 65, or in hospital care, were being tested.

"Which is ridiculous because it goes against everything the World Health Organisation says we should be doing.

"It makes it really hard to know if you've got the virus."

But nurses and doctors on the country's health phoneline said "they were quite positive that we had the virus".

She was told to self-isolate for 14 days.

Five more came down with the same illness, which made eight of a workplace of 12, followed by her two flatmates.

She believed more people were sick than official numbers would show. Many there were not taking minor symptoms seriously and isolating themselves.

"Being in London, it's a massive risk. On a train that thousands of people commute on every hour.""

They are not testing, there is nothing they can do, stay at home and we hope you don't die is essentially the message from UK health care which is clearly overwhelmed. People like this are not going to appear on official statistics for Corona virus cases.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...covid19-ordeal

The good news is that cures are being developed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN215025

More bad news:
more than 4000 new cases in Italy and more than 400 new deaths. Given the situation in that country this is probably under reported.
That is what people fail to realize. If you get this, there is not really anything they (doctors) can do.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 19 March 2020, 11:42 AM   #2697
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Joey - can you post a link to that photo?

It's on Drudge report.

Old 19 March 2020, 11:48 AM   #2698
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

You forgot to add,: (sarcasm)

Old 19 March 2020, 11:52 AM   #2699
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2 View Post
That is what people fail to realize. If you get this, there is not really anything they (doctors) can do.

Exactly

Old 19 March 2020, 12:47 PM   #2700
77T

Quote:

I agree - I’m not debating. You said you have knowledge of Singapore and Malaysia numbers from those country’s official sources. I think that would be the best source.

I can only state what that other data aggregator states in their own website. What I have suggested is that by checking this, one can see how their data is represented.

https://www.worldometers.info/faq/

Closed Thread