The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 June 2023, 01:05 AM   #1
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Time Tolerance +8/10secs

What tolerance should one have to get something serviced. My 118206 has started running 8/10 secs fast. It’s under warranty so I was wondering if this was fast enough to warrant getting it fixed or not. Most of my Rolexes keep amazing time and this watch did for much of the last year. It’s something I noticed. If it was one of my PP’s I would tolerate it more but I tend ti expect for from Rolex. Is this OCD or should I get it fixed? Thx much in advance.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 01:11 AM   #2
Dave O
"TRF" Member

I sent mine in for warranty service when mine suddenly jumped to 6 secs/day fast. I think they are warrantied for being no more than +- 4 sec/day. The AD serviced it and came back +1 sec/day all under warranty.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 01:48 AM   #3
suskompany
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss Z-Blue
For some reason, even if it's within spec, anything more than 3 seconds a day drives me crazy. 3 seconds fine, 4 seconds looking at service
suskompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 02:00 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suskompany View Post
For some reason, even if it's within spec, anything more than 3 seconds a day drives me crazy. 3 seconds fine, 4 seconds looking at service
Well seeing there are 86400 seconds in a day even if 4 seconds out either way cannot see what difference that would make to anyone's life today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 02:05 AM   #5
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
has it ever been serviced? My explorer I ran consistently 2-3 seconds a day for years then around 6 years it jumped to about 7. It was due for a service so I sent it in, now runs about +4 per day.

seconds per day gain/loss really only bothers me when I have 2-3 watches in a rotation and they are all a couple seconds off. Not sure who to beleive!
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 03:51 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Your watch can do much better than that.

If you don't mind it being gone for a while, have it regulated under warranty.
Old 1 June 2023, 06:20 AM   #7
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
I have just received my 116710 back from RSC for a similar issue (-9spd). It was just outside of the two year window, and RSC resolved the accuracy issue and returned the watch in 9 days (RSC 700 — Toronto, I believe). It’s currently running +0.3spd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 06:33 AM   #8
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
If it was one of my PP’s I would tolerate it more but I tend ti expect for from Rolex. Is this OCD or should I get it fixed? Thx much in advance.
Sincerely curious..

Why would you have more tolerance for an under performing Patek compared to a Rolex? It's (unfortunately) a brand I can't afford, but considering the cost of admission, it seems counterintuitive to have lower performance expectations for a product generally considered more premium.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 07:54 AM   #9
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Accuracy does not go hand in hand with price or luxury standing. Nor does durability. For example, the finest Rolex mechanical watch pales severely against a GS9F in every possible subject except resale, which I could care less about.
Grand Seiko 9F on a bad year is more durable, just as Anti-magnetic, 10 seconds a year, extremely shock resistant and a 50 year run between services. All the while maintaining that 10 seconds a year Accuracy. For a poultry $3000 brand new.

Many Rolex's never make it to the end of warranty before a intervention is needed much less the suggested 10 year mark. I'm talking 32xx's here.

As far as full mechanical movements are concerned, I will trust a Omega 8800 or 8900 movement to hold up much better than any new Rolex. They are outstanding. But so are alot of other movements. Precision over Prestige I always say. Get a movement with the lowest delta, Anti-magnetic and materials that are not concerned with temperature variations and adjusted to 6 positions in the case you will have a watch that will provide you with years/decades of accurate service.

Hype or paying more won't guarantee you durability or Accuracy. People make the assumption that paying more some how equates to Accuracy, It does not.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think some watch companies make a mistake touting such tight tolerances, a second or two a day, on mechanical watches. Most of the high-end brands do not do this. If such accuracy is needed, resort to a cell phone is the best option.
Timekeeping only bothers me if I have to reset the watch more than a minute weekly. That is about my rotation anyway.

But since your timekeeping is out of range and is a new development, I would have it looked at as it may only get worse.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:57 AM   #11
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Sincerely curious..

Why would you have more tolerance for an under performing Patek compared to a Rolex? It's (unfortunately) a brand I can't afford, but considering the cost of admission, it seems counterintuitive to have lower performance expectations for a product generally considered more premium.
My experience is that they are more delicate and temperamental. My 5726 keeps time dead on but my 5712 has always run a bit off even after service. My old 3700’s were just very inconsistent. My Rolexes have always been dead on.
Old 1 June 2023, 10:12 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
+10/day was within chronometer specs till the 1970s.
Old 1 June 2023, 10:19 AM   #13
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suskompany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well seeing there are 86400 seconds in a day even if 4 seconds out either way cannot see what difference that would make to anyone's life today.
The OP states that it makes a difference to them. So saying that it shouldn’t make a difference, helps in what way?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 10:20 AM   #14
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
+10/day was within chronometer specs till the 1970s.

I don’t have your experience, but I thought Rolex’s COSC rating was +4-6 on everything from the 1675 up? That’s 10seconds, but not +10spd.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 10:21 AM   #15
Rafeeq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
On the one hand, in the grand scheme of things, sure, 8 or 10 seconds isn't the end of the world. But when the thing is marketed for 2 seconds--and presuming you've jiggered your routine, if applicable, for best results--I certainly understand the dissatisfaction. My DJ started in the +2 neighborhood, but when it gradually slid to a -5 even with best night resting procedures, sorry, it was RSC time. I'm glad I had mine adjusted.
Rafeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 10:25 AM   #16
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
I don’t have your experience, but I thought Rolex’s COSC rating was +4-6 on everything from the 1675 up? That’s 10seconds, but not +10spd.

While competitive chronometer testing took place at the observatories in Neuchâtel (1866–1975) and Geneva (1873–1967), testing of large numbers of watches intended for public sale was conducted by the independent Bureaux officiels de contrôle de la marche des montres (B.O.s) established between 1877 and 1956. Between 1961 and 1973,[22] “a chronometer [was] a precision watch, which [was] regulated in several positions and at different temperatures and which had received a certificate [from the (“B.O.)]." Collective certificates, rather than individual certificates, were usually issued. The 1961–73 standard required a mean daily rate in five positions of −1/+10. In 1973, the B.O.’s came under the C.O.S.C. which specified a daily rate of −4/+6 sec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC
Old 1 June 2023, 02:21 PM   #17
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Only one question comes to mind in this instance.
Has the watch been knocked or bumped up against something, or even dropped?
If so and there's some visible damage to it then it may need a service
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 02:29 PM   #18
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Sincerely curious..

In some circles a Patek is regarded as more premium than a Rolex, but that's applying a totally different set of metrics altogether
A Rolex is better in some respects and a Patek is better in other respects, it's just the priorities are very different but in some quarters they are equal.
It's a balance between perceptions and practical realities
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 05:49 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post

Fact before the Swiss COSC was formed as it is now it, there were Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard than the now antiquated Swiss COSC test.And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%.And in those days just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The others were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.That was until Seiko come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry.Only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of serial production for normal retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made one off movements just for the competition.And it was ended by the swiss in the early 1970s after two straight wins by the Japanese straight off the production line Seiko Grand watches.

Seiko first entered the competition,with watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.For a much higher standard than the COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard.Out of many watches summited only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days. ---Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated in the very late 1960s and the two preceding events, in 1972 some Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,thats when the watered down COSC test was founded.Its most important to remember that a "COSC certified chronometer" is not the Holy Grail of watchmaking. With the high quality of modern day robotised manufacturing, this test is not that important in reality. As today most decent modern watches from all countries even some from China like the Seagull movements, when adequately adjusted, should be able to match the performance specified by the now quite antiquated Swiss COSC test even the newer Rolex introduced -2+2 spec.

A chronometer certificate is not a guarantee of future accuracy for life only a certification that the bare uncased movement was tested at the COSC and passed the AVERAGE -4+6 second spec at time of testing same for the new Rolex machine precision -2+2 test. Watch movements that have been certified can get out of adjustment and still perform quite poorly outside the COSC spec or the -2+2 spec.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 June 2023, 06:55 PM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's out of Roles spec. The difference bothers you. It's in warranty. A no brainer for me. Your choice. What if it gets worse after the warranty has run out?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 07:16 PM   #21
ExplorerGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 2 16570
8-10 seconds is unacceptable. At the end of a month you will be five minutes too fast which in my option is no better than a sundial at night. I would get in in spec based on the model.
ExplorerGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 07:46 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It wouldn’t bother me and I’d wait till next service.

I understand it might be an issue for others. Send in for service if it does
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 07:50 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Accuracy does not go hand in hand with price or luxury standing. Nor does durability. For example, the finest Rolex mechanical watch pales severely against a GS9F in every possible subject except resale, which I could care less about.
Grand Seiko 9F on a bad year is more durable, just as Anti-magnetic, 10 seconds a year, extremely shock resistant and a 50 year run between services. All the while maintaining that 10 seconds a year Accuracy. For a poultry $3000 brand new.

Many Rolex's never make it to the end of warranty before a intervention is needed much less the suggested 10 year mark. I'm talking 32xx's here.

As far as full mechanical movements are concerned, I will trust a Omega 8800 or 8900 movement to hold up much better than any new Rolex. They are outstanding. But so are alot of other movements. Precision over Prestige I always say. Get a movement with the lowest delta, Anti-magnetic and materials that are not concerned with temperature variations and adjusted to 6 positions in the case you will have a watch that will provide you with years/decades of accurate service.

Hype or paying more won't guarantee you durability or Accuracy. People make the assumption that paying more some how equates to Accuracy, It does not.
Have to agree take the Chinese Seagull ST 19 movement normally out of the box can run a consistent +4 to +10 seconds a day.But after careful regulation can match COSC spec even the new Rolex -2+2 precision test cost of movement around £60.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 June 2023, 10:33 PM   #24
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
When I upgraded from Rolex to higher end brands including PP, VC, AP, Breiget and Blancpain I wasn’t expecting accuracy near the Rolex level but have actually found the opposite.
Most Rolex I’ve had are in the plus 4/5 seconds a day while the higher end watches have generally been spot on to plus 3 seconds!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:48 PM   #25
Snowballs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Service time IMHO
Old 2 June 2023, 12:58 AM   #26
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Am going to see if it’s a 7 per day or not. If it is then I am going to take it in.
Old 2 June 2023, 01:25 AM   #27
Catatafish
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub 126610LV
Within the warranty period I typically just take it to the local AD to have a look. The two times I've done that (once for Rolex, once for Seiko) the local shop regulated it and gave it back to me a couple of days later. The Seiko wouldn't stay regulated so I sold it. The Rolex has been under +1 a day ever since (3 years later still running strong).
Catatafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 02:27 AM   #28
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
In some circles a Patek is regarded as more premium than a Rolex, but that's applying a totally different set of metrics altogether
A Rolex is better in some respects and a Patek is better in other respects, it's just the priorities are very different but in some quarters they are equal.
It's a balance between perceptions and practical realities
Well put.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 02:33 AM   #29
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
Is this OCD or should I get it fixed? Thx much in advance.
If you lose your job because you are obsessing about your watch then it’s OCD. Otherwise it’s just mild understandable concern. You’re welcome.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 02:37 AM   #30
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My 2018 black SS Sky Dweller was taken off, adjusted for correct time, put on a winder and left in a safe on 01/03/2023. I took it out to wear today. It could have been a couple of minutes out in either direction. I would have settled for five minutes. It is showing the correct date and time and it hasn't lost or gained a second since I last wore it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote