The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 March 2020, 10:46 PM   #1201
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Subsided? Where do you get your info?

This virus doesn’t pick its victims, it’s just a wave that keeps coming. I’m in Asia and it keeps getting worse.

Don’t stick your head in the sand guys, stay safe and use common sense please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCP apparently published yesterday that there are 0 new cases in all of China now. So I think that's where travel guy is coming from. Haha $1,000 off In a few weeks it'll be 75% off.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 9 March 2020, 11:09 PM   #1202
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
US has stopped flights from some areas. And passengers from some areas.

The question is how far you go vs. damage to livelihoods. I would prefer that we cut down more flights. But I understand the counter argument.
I was watching the news this morning and it shows most flight are now about 30-40 percent full ...airlines cant make money with a plane 1/3 full so they cut the flight.....of course this will lead to massive layoffs and a snowballing effect.
No matter how you look at it its a very bad situation that going to get worse before it gets better.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:12 PM   #1203
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The idea of cutting off air travel is part of a containment strategy. It might buy some time to institute stronger detection measures.

It could be done - after the 9|11 attack it was done in US. But that didn’t solve the root cause. Eventually we resumed air travel then, and would need to do so in this instance.

With no vaccine to prevent COVID-19, non-pharma interventions to stem spreading coronavirus must shift.

Shift the focus from containment to personal protective measures, “social distancing” measures, and environmental steps like strong surface cleaning measures.

The end result doesn’t solve the other problems with the overall community transmission rate. We will need to run this gauntlet until we can turn the corner on protective measures stemming the spread rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well reasoned.

And for my pet peeve of the day...

Grocery stores in my area have hand wipe stands. If they can do it, why can't restaurants and coffee shops?

I have started carrying my own small hand sanitizer, but many do not. And after being on the road several days last week, and visiting several Starbucks and one fast food place, I wondered why these establishments don't spring for and sanitizers like I see in the grocery stores. These are high volume areas. With high hand to mouth incidence. Seems like this would make sense.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:12 PM   #1204
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
You asked me to try to explain the slower spread in Hong Kong.

I think I did that. In fact you've partly explained it yourself.

If you refer to the mask, it does nothing. If you refer to the 60% alcohol content hand sanitizers that are getting sold like hot bread, it does nothing.

To consider I’ve been in the epicenter of the storm and still weathered it; means it’s not that serious as the media portrays it to be.

Unlike many people who believe this is a doomsday scenario (and buying into the media hype) and have been confined to their residence, I’ve been living the same way - nothing has changed and I’ve cleared 8 countries within the last 6 weeks.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:19 PM   #1205
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Anyone know if South America and the Caribbean are reporting any cases?
Old 9 March 2020, 11:24 PM   #1206
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Several dozen in S. America and just a few in the Caribbean.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Old 9 March 2020, 11:26 PM   #1207
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Several dozen in S. America and just a few in the Caribbean.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Thank you.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:28 PM   #1208
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Yes they are - pretty low numbers at the moment. Hopefully it will stay that way...

Today's confirmed numbers (no deaths) are:

Argentina 12
Chile 8
Brazil 25
Peru 7

St Martin 2
Dominican Republic 5
Old 9 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #1209
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
I I’ve been in the epicenter of the storm and still weathered it; means it’s not that serious as the media portrays it to be.
Phew! No need for anyone to worry then with that extensive survey.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:32 PM   #1210
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Phew! No need for anyone to worry then with that extensive survey.

Schools stopped teaching logical debate and civics and long time ago. Can anyone tell?
Old 9 March 2020, 11:34 PM   #1211
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you refer to the mask, it does nothing. If you refer to the 60% alcohol content hand sanitizers that are getting sold like hot bread, it does nothing.

To consider I’ve been in the epicenter of the storm and still weathered it; means it’s not that serious as the media portrays it to be.

Unlike many people who believe this is a doomsday scenario (and buying into the media hype) and have been confined to their residence, I’ve been living the same way - nothing has changed and I’ve cleared 8 countries within the last 6 weeks.
1. A non n95 mask may not prevent you from catching the virus, but it does inhibit an infected person from spreading it. If you have a contrary reputable cite, please share it.

2. Reputable hand sanitizers are 70% alcohol, not 60%. And every doctor that I know of has opined that use prevents the spread. If you have a contrary reputable cite, please share it.

3. With all due respect, a case study of 1 person such as yourself does not a study or science make. And has no empirical worth. For all you know, you were very lucky, have a natural immunity, or are an asymptomatic spreader.

I fail to understand why you would want to to encourage people to stop using hand sanitizers and practicing other known ways to cut down on transmission. Misinformation that minimizes a risk is as bad as risk over hype. And just as irresponsible.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:36 PM   #1212
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Schools stopped teaching logical debate and civics and long time ago. Can anyone tell?
Yes. Teaching critical thinking and quality debate (and music) seems to be undesired in the USA for grades 12 and below.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:44 PM   #1213
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And here is the link the the CDC which recommends use of hand santizer of at least 60% alcohol.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...treatment.html

And here is the quote from the CDC.

"Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty."

This same link discusses use of face masks.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:44 PM   #1214
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind that low numbers of confirmed cases may be a result of incapability or failure to detect. There aren’t an unlimited number of testing kits, and some countries just don’t have enough testing kits to do an aggressive discovery campaign.

In Korea the reported cases are high, but they also have a high testing rate. They even have drive through testing centers. Other countries have very low reported cases, but aren’t exerting as much effort to detect the cases (fearing a drop in tourism they need for income).
Old 9 March 2020, 11:59 PM   #1215
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I haven't 'picked' anything. These are the official reported cases of contraction and the official reported deaths compiled by the WHO, CDC, ECDH, NHC and DXY. The most authoritative sources - not Google. I am sorry they don't chime with your own research, but rest assured, I have not 'picked' anything - merely given you the official government figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
No. You picked certain statistics to get the higher death rates. I’ve been running the numbers myself and they are not that high even when you don’t use the higher amount of probable cases. You start throwing around 3.5% death rate and we will have a massive global panic the likes that only an intimate world ending astroid impact could create. It’s not 3.5%.

No need to worry guys, our HVAC guy in Florida has “crunched the numbers” better than the WHO, CDC, and other NGOs. We are safe, nothing to worry about....

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 10 March 2020, 12:05 AM   #1216
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
No need to worry guys, our HVAC guy in Florida has “crunched the numbers” better than the WHO, CDC, and other NGOs. We are safe, nothing to worry about....

Didn’t the moderators already warn you about getting nasty with other members? There’s no need for it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 10 March 2020, 12:08 AM   #1217
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Didn’t the moderators already warn you about getting nasty with other members? There’s no need for it.
Agreed.

We have differences of opinion. Let's all get along without being nasty.
Old 10 March 2020, 12:10 AM   #1218
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:

Great! Let me know how you feel in 14 days.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 10 March 2020, 12:11 AM   #1219
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Nope. So far I’ve stayed on the right side of the TRF law.... my point with the above post is that you seem to be talking over a lot of people who share real knowledge and data on the subject. Your bravado and confidence on a subject you know (appear) to know little about is, frankly, dangerous. I’m merely highlighting how absurd some of your points are

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 10 March 2020, 12:15 AM   #1220
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nope. So far I’ve stayed on the right side of the TRF law.... my point with the above post is that you seem to be talking over a lot of people who share real knowledge and data on the subject. Your bravado and confidence on a subject you know (appear) to know little about is, frankly, dangerous. I’m merely highlighting how absurd some of your points are

Keep going.

Basic Guidelines
The following categories of online conduct are unacceptable on The Rolex Forums and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harrassment... Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, threatens, and/or denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment. In other words, no flaming other members (this means no slander of any kind will be tolerated).

Instagram - patton250
Old 10 March 2020, 12:22 AM   #1221
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Quote:

Keep it up and either this thread gets closed or you are out the door. Brett is offering his opinion and he's not attacking anyone. You should keep it that way also.
Old 10 March 2020, 12:22 AM   #1222
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Keep going.

Basic Guidelines
The following categories of online conduct are unacceptable on The Rolex Forums and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harrassment... Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, threatens, and/or denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment. In other words, no flaming other members (this means no slander of any kind will be tolerated).

As the primary instigator in this thread I do find it ironic that you share this.

My post above was focused at your bold opinions that have been shared here for weeks. Often talking over others who share real data and facts. If you take that as a personal attack you’re being silly and defensive. The goal of this thread is to ensure that people get good information on a very serious subject.

Your posts seem to do the opposite and mostly opinion based. Sure, it’s always good to have a contrarian, but at a certain point it becomes distasteful. Don’t be surprised when you get shut down by others for sharing false information / opinion.

Old 10 March 2020, 12:23 AM   #1223
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Keep going.

Basic Guidelines

Envuks- "my words were “don’t be a cheap bast@rd” in regards to you not pledging TRF. For $30 you could have proved me wrong in the moment and helped TRF(where you clearly spend a fair amount of time). In fact, I fully expected you to pledge and prove me wrong (that was the point of my original post), but I guess I’m just proving myself wrong"

Appaently he thinks your dumb and I am cheap. At least I can buy my way out of this vitriol. Hang in there Patton250 you are entitled to express a contrarian view.
Old 10 March 2020, 12:30 AM   #1224
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Envuks- "my words were “don’t be a cheap bast@rd” in regards to you not pledging TRF. For $30 you could have proved me wrong in the moment and helped TRF(where you clearly spend a fair amount of time). In fact, I fully expected you to pledge and prove me wrong (that was the point of my original post), but I guess I’m just proving myself wrong"

Appaently he thinks your dumb and I am cheap. At least I can buy my way out of this vitriol.

Bryant park, I love how I tried to put this little situation to bed and yet you still continue to try to attack me.... I don’t need to think anything, you’re still sitting there with a non-pledged TRF membership so....

Old 10 March 2020, 12:46 AM   #1225
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Envuks has left the building - for good.

I know it’s stressful - let’s keep calm in the discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 10 March 2020, 12:47 AM   #1226
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Thanks Mods for keeping the thread open and using the ban button as needed.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 10 March 2020, 12:50 AM   #1227
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

It's perfectly possible to hold both the view that this COVID-19 outbreak is a serious problem and that there has been an over-reaction/hysteria in some quarters, especially from the media and SM commenters. There is no cognitive dissonance here.

If everyone keeps that in mind then this thread will persist like a mutated virion.
Old 10 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #1228
Bryant Park
Banned

Thank you Mods!
Old 10 March 2020, 01:05 AM   #1229
strettyend
"TRF" Member

If anything this virus has exposed the fact that most people just do not understand statistics, sampling, etc. at all
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
Old 10 March 2020, 01:06 AM   #1230
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It's perfectly possible to hold both the view that this COVID-19 outbreak is a serious problem and that there has been an over-reaction/hysteria in some quarters, especially from the media and SM commenters. There is no cognitive dissonance here.

If everyone keeps that in mind then this thread will persist like a mutated virion.
I agree 100%. Eloquently put. Thank you.

Instagram - patton250
Closed Thread