The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 March 2022, 11:34 PM   #1
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Any recommendations for a simple Timegrapher or watch meter?

I have a few Rolex watches... well actually more than a few and I am looking for a decent non-professional timegrapher to sometimes determine and compare the movement and accuracy of each watch. I don't need a fancy and intricate model being used in youtube by the professional watch makers. Just a decent little gadget for home use.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 4 March 2022, 06:25 AM   #2
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Weishi 1000 Timegrapher. They can be found on numerous sites for $140 dollars. I have one myself, and find it very valuable.

If you are looking for a free option, check out the app "Watch Accuracy Meter". It uses your phone's microphone to listen to the escapement, and is surprisingly accurate. Its only going to tell you the rate and beat error, not the amplitude, so its not as useful as a true timegrapher.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 09:49 AM   #3
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRat View Post
Weishi 1000 Timegrapher. They can be found on numerous sites for $140 dollars. I have one myself, and find it very valuable.

If you are looking for a free option, check out the app "Watch Accuracy Meter". It uses your phone's microphone to listen to the escapement, and is surprisingly accurate. Its only going to tell you the rate and beat error, not the amplitude, so its not as useful as a true timegrapher.
Saw that in Amazon.
Its an option.

Old 6 April 2023, 12:58 PM   #4
msum
"TRF" Member

With the ongoing 32xx movement talk, I’m bumping this up.

Any other recommendations as to a budget timegrapher? Yes, I know budget and Rolex is perhaps incongruous (yes, at the same time, I suppose Rolex is budget in comparison to other things…).
msum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:01 PM   #5
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msum View Post
With the ongoing 32xx movement talk, I’m bumping this up.

Any other recommendations as to a budget timegrapher? Yes, I know budget and Rolex is perhaps incongruous (yes, at the same time, I suppose Rolex is budget in comparison to other things…).
The answer hasn't really changed. The Weishi and other non-branded "1000" and "1900" models are still the most common cheap options. The 1900 has a better display, but the 1000 will give you the data you need for this type of analysis.

Some will say you can go even cheaper and use a phone app, but I think having a real watch holding device which can be easily placed in the various positions (dial up, crown down, crown up, etc) easily makes something like the 1000 worth the purchase.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 03:25 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yup, Amazon and get a 1000... the 1900 has nicer display and does Omega coax movement too. I have the 1000.

Czapek_Monochrome_White.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 06:56 AM   #7
msum
"TRF" Member

Thanks.

Is it definitely the case that the 1900 can do coaxial and the 1000 cannot?

What are the going rates for the two models?

And are there any particularly good places to buy? Say, is AliExpress reliable?
Old 11 April 2023, 01:33 AM   #8
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Is it definitely the case that the 1900 can do coaxial and the 1000 cannot?

What are the going rates for the two models?

And are there any particularly good places to buy? Say, is AliExpress reliable?
I wouldn't count on any of the no-name machines to do amplitude on a coaxial. They will all do timing (seconds per day) without issues. From speaking with an Omega-trained watchmaker it sounds like even the original Witschi machines had a hard time getting amplitudes right on coaxials. So while the new 1000 or the 1900 might claim to do coaxial, and some number may show up on the screen, it's not a number I'd feel confident in from what I've read.
Old 11 April 2023, 03:48 AM   #9
HkPlinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
I have the 1000 and really like it. Fun to pull out to hook up a "pawn shop" potential purchase.
HkPlinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 10:44 AM   #10
msum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I wouldn't count on any of the no-name machines to do amplitude on a coaxial. They will all do timing (seconds per day) without issues. From speaking with an Omega-trained watchmaker it sounds like even the original Witschi machines had a hard time getting amplitudes right on coaxials. So while the new 1000 or the 1900 might claim to do coaxial, and some number may show up on the screen, it's not a number I'd feel confident in from what I've read.

Thanks.

Trying to do a bit more reading on the subject, it sounds like your comment is pretty reasonable!

Any suggestions as to places to purchase from…?

Is there a generally recommended Witschi for the hobbyist? Even the cheapest seems quite a price jump.
Old 12 April 2023, 11:07 PM   #11
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Trying to do a bit more reading on the subject, it sounds like your comment is pretty reasonable!

Any suggestions as to places to purchase from…?

Is there a generally recommended Witschi for the hobbyist? Even the cheapest seems quite a price jump.
A lot of people just buy them on ebay. The real Witschi machines are much, much more expensive. There also seem to be the "real" Weishi" and the complete no-name "No. 1000", "No. 1900", etc.

Cousins in the UK is the main place I've seen that carries a full line of actual Weishi models alongside the real Witshi machines:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/m...-watch-testing