The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 March 2023, 04:12 PM   #1
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Recent service changes to 31xx movements??

I understand there are occassional changes or updates to service parts.
My question relates to my recently serviced 116660 which is absolutely sublime to wind and set. It was great the last time it was serviced in 2017 and better than it was from new, but it's superb now

More specifically my question relates to when i came to set the time, there was no appreciable springy backlash of the Minute hand when turning the hands backward which made setting the time easier than it's ever been.

Does anyone with more intimate knowledge around this have any insight they may care to share as to why this may be so?
Have there been any updated parts for the 3135 which would contribute to the reduced springy backlash?

Many thanks
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 04:44 PM   #2
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Interesting observation and question
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 07:14 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Your centre pinion and cannon pinion might be lubricated a little heavier than it came with from the factory, and/or they were replaced.
These two parts connect the hand setting to the gear train side of the movement, thus also powering the hands.

When you use them to change the time, the cannon pinion slips over the centre pinion.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 09:46 PM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Your centre pinion and cannon pinion might be lubricated a little heavier than it came with from the factory, and/or they were replaced.
These two parts connect the hand setting to the gear train side of the movement, thus also powering the hands.

When you use them to change the time, the cannon pinion slips over the centre pinion.
Great.
Many thanks for that. It's along the lines of what I was holding in the furthest recesses of my mind about Cannon pinion tension.
The confirmation is greatly appreciated.

If they had changed the Cannom pinion or Centre pinion, would it be a chargeable item?
Originally, the quote only included an extra charge for what was described as the Oscillating weight and nothing else as an extra. Frankly I just passed it off as being the axle post was replaced due to excessive wear otherwise the Oscillating weight would've potentially damaged other items which may also need replacement. To that, I've never literally heard any rattling around inside the watch.
Or was it simply a matter of the jewelled bearings being replaced as part of the Oscilating weight with it classed as being an assembly?

Old 7 March 2023, 08:18 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Great.
Many thanks for that. It's along the lines of what I was holding in the furthest recesses of my mind about Cannon pinion tension.
The confirmation is greatly appreciated.

If they had changed the Cannom pinion or Centre pinion, would it be a chargeable item?
Originally, the quote only included an extra charge for what was described as the Oscillating weight and nothing else as an extra. Frankly I just passed it off as being the axle post was replaced due to excessive wear otherwise the Oscillating weight would've potentially damaged other items which may also need replacement. To that, I've never literally heard any rattling around inside the watch.
Or was it simply a matter of the jewelled bearings being replaced as part of the Oscilating weight with it classed as being an assembly?

The cannon and centre pinion are a set, and are commonly replaced, it is not a chargeable item and is covered by the service cost.

The oscillating weight / rotor might have had a very worn out axle and hit either the bridges or the caseback, causing the rhodium plating to wear off. The plating on the rotor is pretty flakey and easily lets larger chunks loose which would get into the movement. It frequently needs replacing on the 31xx movements.
Old 8 March 2023, 05:55 AM   #6
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The cannon and centre pinion are a set, and are commonly replaced, it is not a chargeable item and is covered by the service cost.

The oscillating weight / rotor might have had a very worn out axle and hit either the bridges or the caseback, causing the rhodium plating to wear off. The plating on the rotor is pretty flakey and easily lets larger chunks loose which would get into the movement. It frequently needs replacing on the 31xx movements.
Thankyou so much for sharing your insights.
Old 11 March 2023, 09:22 PM   #7
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

Bas, that is EXACTLY what I thought…. I mean, the oscillating…. Axle of the rack and pinion steering module, next to the flux capacitor and the carburetor… With the … uhm.. er…. Valve train….

I wish I were as smart as you.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 10:05 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Bas, that is EXACTLY what I thought…. I mean, the oscillating…. Axle of the rack and pinion steering module, next to the flux capacitor and the carburetor… With the … uhm.. er…. Valve train….

I'm just a watchmaker, you're a fighter pilot, much more skill and intelligence needed for that
Old 11 March 2023, 10:09 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

I’m right there with you. I refer to all the Rolex parts as “dumaflickies”
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 10:11 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I'm just a watchmaker, you're a fighter pilot, much more skill and intelligence needed for that
Intelligence and skill required for both me thinks
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 04:05 PM   #11
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Seachart is correct. It may also be that the original cannon pinion was tightened.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 04:57 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I agree with Paul.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 04:57 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Seachart is correct. It may also be that the original cannon pinion was tightened.
I considered that Rolex wouldn't bother with mucking around with that and simply replace it out of expediency. Bas had indicated it would be replaced as a set along with the Centre pinion
From my understanding, tightening the tension can be a little tricky in that just that little fraction more could end up being way too much
In that regard it could be a counter productive exercise

Still, with everything else basically working fine with the watch from my point of view and end user experience. I wonder what criterior was met that would require replacement or any changes with regard to the Cannon pinion.
Anyway, that would be yet another question
Old 23 March 2023, 05:21 PM   #14
Denniscohle
"TRF" Member

Very interesting and thanks for the observation. I have a 3135 sub that goes into service soon.
Denniscohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 09:44 PM   #15
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscohle View Post
Very interesting and thanks for the observation. I have a 3135 sub that goes into service soon.
3135 is an honest workhorse regardless of its flaws

Further to the above.
Bas initially mentioned that they possibly lubed the Cannon pinion a little heavier than is customary.
On reflection I would be inclined to agree with this analysis as it fits best as an explanation for what I have experienced post service.
Anyway, since I've had it back it's running well and has only lost 13 seconds steadily since I've been wearing it.
It has settled back into it's normal rhythm that it has always had and with the added bonus of the minute hand not springing back when setting the time, which i won't have to worry about for a while.
It's all good so far
Old 4 April 2023, 02:50 PM   #16
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
I considered that Rolex wouldn't bother with mucking around with that and simply replace it out of expediency. Bas had indicated it would be replaced as a set along with the Centre pinion
From my understanding, tightening the tension can be a little tricky in that just that little fraction more could end up being way too much

Still, with everything else basically working fine with the watch from my point of view and end user experience. I wonder what criterior was met that would require replacement or any changes with regard to the Cannon pinion.
Good question: This is really an illustration of traditional watchmaking vs the "replace everything" mentality. Tightening the cannon pinion is reliable and works great if done correctly with proper tools. Adding new parts on vintage movements can sometimes introduce a bigger hassle than reconditioning the original parts (if possible). Newer watches less so the case... but still seems wasteful if the original part can be set within spec.

That said, cannon pinions if overtightened can crack or fail in which case replacement is the only option. If it is slightly too tight then broaching gets the job done nicely. Of course if this is done too extensively such that integrity is compromised then replacement is again necessary.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 02:42 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

Rolex even sells a tool that is made specifically for tightening the cannon pinion, which gets frequent use in our workshop
Old 5 April 2023, 06:15 AM   #18
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Bas, May I ask:

Could you post a picture of that tool, very interested to see a fool proof tool for tightening.

Thanks
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 05:33 PM   #19
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Bas, May I ask:

Could you post a picture of that tool, very interested to see a fool proof tool for tightening.

Thanks

Old 7 April 2023, 06:24 AM   #20
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Thansk Bas,

Nice tool, looks a lot like the Bergeon tool.
Old 7 April 2023, 02:29 PM   #21
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Thansk Bas,

Nice tool, looks a lot like the Bergeon tool.
Begeon might make it and Rolex rebrands it? Don't know
Old 7 April 2023, 04:01 PM   #22
Ron P
"TRF" Member

The Rolex tool looks slightly more elegant, just like the watches compared to many other brands.