The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 May 2023, 07:01 AM   #1
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Real or fake Datejust?

Hi all, I was just given a Datejust by my dad, who received it from his dad (my grandpa) and he didn’t have the original box or papers, so I’m not sure on the authenticity. Could you please have a look and see if it’s real or fake? If fake, what are the signs?

Edit: Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move to the correct one.
iLovePho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 07:06 AM   #2
Greglaw
Banned

Go away.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 07:18 AM   #3
mignonp13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
Go away.

The watch is all original ! What do you mean ??

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
mignonp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 07:21 AM   #4
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
Go away.
Lol wow, I asked a legitimate question and that's the first response I get.
Old 23 May 2023, 07:27 AM   #5
Borkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 228238
It’s best to crap but looks real to me.
Good luck.
Borkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 07:32 AM   #6
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borkie View Post
Good luck.
Thanks, and yes agreed, it's got quite the patina haha.

Planning to take this to the nearest Rolex authorized service center to refurb it, but didn't want to look like a fool if it was fake.
Old 23 May 2023, 07:34 AM   #7
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borkie View Post
Good luck.
Thanks! and agreed, I'm planning to take it to the nearest Rolex authorized service center, but didn't want to look like a fool if it turned out to be fake.
Old 23 May 2023, 07:45 AM   #8
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLovePho View Post
Lol wow, I asked a legitimate question and that's the first response I get.
We get a lot of people who inherited something and want to get it authenticated or its value. If your story is true do you not trust your family? Do you have reason to believe it is not real?
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 08:01 AM   #9
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
We get a lot of people who inherited something and want to get it authenticated or its value. If your story is true do you not trust your family? Do you have reason to believe it is not real?
I've no reason to lie, not sure how I would benefit from doing so. It's not a trust issue with my family, but more of a knowledge gap. My grandpa had passed away unexpectedly (not recently but when I was much younger) and this was one of his possessions that my dad kept. He never bothered to have it authenticated so hence we don't know if it's real or not.
Old 23 May 2023, 08:10 AM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks fine to me and it certainly has an authentic well-worn look to it. Most likely a ref 1601, bracelet clasp suggests early 1970s. We could confirm if you remove the bracelet and post photos of the numbers between the lugs.
Old 23 May 2023, 08:18 AM   #11
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Looks good to me.
Dr.Smellody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 08:26 AM   #12
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses everyone! No lies here, not sure what benefit I would glean from that...

Backstory is that my grandpa had passed away unexpectedly when I was much younger, and this became my dad's possession. My dad never bothered to find out its authenticity and wore it like any other watch (as evidenced by the well worn condition). That time was a transition period for my family (late 80's, early 90's) when my parents immigrated here from Asia so quite a bit was lost during the move. Now that it's in my possession, I want to have it refurbished by an authorized Rolex service center, but didn't want to look like a fool if it was actually a fake.
Old 23 May 2023, 08:39 AM   #13
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
legitimate responses from Dan_S and Dr.Smellody, as always. Mignonp13 nailed it too. Not even sure what Borkie is saying… And that first comment. That's a WTF. Why respond to a post at all?!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 08:45 AM   #14
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone! No lies here, not sure what benefit I would glean from that...

Backstory is that my grandpa had passed away unexpectedly when I was much younger, and this became my dad's possession. My dad never bothered to find out its authenticity and wore it like any other watch (as evidenced by the well worn condition). That time was a transition period for my family (late 80's, early 90's) when my parents immigrated here from Asia so quite a bit was lost during the move. Now that it's in my possession, I want to have it refurbished by an authorized Rolex service center, but didn't want to look like a fool if it was actually a fake.
Based on the age you would end up unhappy with an RSC service. Phillip Ridley would be one of the many good options. You'll find the forum has many favorite watchmakers for older watches that treat them with the right amount of care while preserving what makes them an heirloom.
Old 23 May 2023, 09:16 AM   #15
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
legitimate responses from Dan_S and Dr.Smellody, as always. Mignonp13 nailed it too. Not even sure what Borkie is saying… And that first comment. That's a WTF. Why respond to a post at all?!
well his recent posts have all been pretty unhelpful so....
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 09:18 AM   #16
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Based on the age you would end up unhappy with an RSC service. Phillip Ridley would be one of the many good options. You'll find the forum has many favorite watchmakers for older watches that treat them with the right amount of care while preserving what makes them an heirloom.
Rolex may or may not even service 1570 movements now so RSC may not even accept but given its just a datejust, its fine to send to RSC.

Independents is obviously the other choice.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 09:28 AM   #17
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Rolex may or may not even service 1570 movements now so RSC may not even accept but given its just a datejust, its fine to send to RSC.

Sound advice!!
Dr.Smellody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 10:19 AM   #18
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, and yes agreed, it's got quite the patina haha.

Planning to take this to the nearest Rolex authorized service center to refurb it, but didn't want to look like a fool if it was fake.

Don’t take vintage Rolex to the SC. They will replace all the vintage (valuable parts) unless that’s what you want.

They will not give your the originals. It’s a swap.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 10:23 AM   #19
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post

Based on the photo, I think that RSC will probably require replacing the hands, at the least. Of course, the OP may be ok with that since they are pretty moldy, but luminova hands will definitely be a big cosmetic change. So it's worth thinking things through.

(1) Keep original tritium hands and dial, even with cosmetic issues?
(2) Replace with luminova service hands and dial?
(3) Replace with period correct (but more attractive) tritium hands and dial purchased on the secondary market (requires some work)?
Old 23 May 2023, 11:58 AM   #20
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I have faced something similar with an heirloom and I opted to relume the original hands. That is what I'd do here. A movement service and address the hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Based on the photo, I think that RSC will probably require replacing the hands, at the least. Of course, the OP may be ok with that since they are pretty moldy, but luminova hands will definitely be a big cosmetic change. So it's worth thinking things through.

(1) Keep original tritium hands and dial, even with cosmetic issues?
(2) Replace with luminova service hands and dial?
(3) Replace with period correct (but more attractive) tritium hands and dial purchased on the secondary market (requires some work)?
Old 23 May 2023, 12:32 PM   #21
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have faced something similar with an heirloom and I opted to relume the original hands. That is what I'd do here. A movement service and address the hands.
Very reasonable choice.
Old 23 May 2023, 12:57 PM   #22
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Strange initial responses here but at least some helpful comments further on. What a special heirloom, especially considering the adventure it’s been on with your family. Take care of it and enjoy.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:06 PM   #23
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Looks good! Don't polish that case!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:33 PM   #24
iLovePho
"TRF" Member

Now I'm super conflicted. I definitely want to "freshen" it up since it's a bit rough around the edges, but at the same time, I don't want to "ruin" it by having a Rolex SC refurbish it with pretty much all new (modern) parts---almost destroying its character.

According to this forum (and my limited google search), they just don't build Datejust (and Rolexes in general) like they used to. I can relate to this as my biggest hobby is cars and I certainly believe in using period correct parts when doing a classic build.
Old 23 May 2023, 01:37 PM   #25
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Great watch!! Any box and papers? Service it. Freshen. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 02:49 PM   #26
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now I'm super conflicted. I definitely want to "freshen" it up since it's a bit rough around the edges, but at the same time, I don't want to "ruin" it by having a Rolex SC refurbish it with pretty much all new (modern) parts---almost destroying its character.

According to this forum (and my limited google search), they just don't build Datejust (and Rolexes in general) like they used to. I can relate to this as my biggest hobby is cars and I certainly believe in using period correct parts when doing a classic build.

You are in the right path; a month ago there was a thread of a family heirloom vacheron that was destroyed by in-house service; the dial got repainted.

If I was in your shoes I’ll send it to an independent watch maker that works on vintage and ask to: 1. Relume the hands, 2. Leave dial as it is, 3. Service the movement. 4. (Optional) light buff of the case. 5. Polish the glass.
Factory glasses new are available but expensive.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 06:24 PM   #27
Mark020
"TRF" Member

@ellimon: do you have a link to the thread on the Vacheron?

Anyway: nice DJ. Have it serviced and wear it
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 09:32 PM   #28
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I think how you service it depends greatly on how you plan to use it. You could keep it all original and keep it in a safe for future generations. Or you could do a service that would make it good to wear occasionally (relume hands, new crystal, refurbish the bracelet, service movement). Or you could do a big overhaul and wear it everyday (recut the case, replace dial and hands, replace bracelet with modern version, etc.). The latter won’t be popular here . For the bracelet refurbishment look to Michael Young in Honk Kong or Roliworks in the US.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 09:49 PM   #29
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Just leave it as it is. It's great. Everything is in keeping with everything else. When it conks out, get the 1570/5 mvt serviced for £350-400. Congratulations on watch classic silver sunburst t Swiss t of 60/70s Ref 1603 by look of it :-)
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 11:32 PM   #30
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
Don’t take vintage Rolex to the SC. They will replace all the vintage (valuable parts) unless that’s what you want.
A Rolex Service Center will not do anything you don't want. That's a myth. You must approve of all changes in advance, because you need to pay for everything, of course. And if you don't agree with any possible mandatory changes (e.g. dial, hands, bezel), just walk away. And you can always specify on paperwork not to polish the watch.

In a case like this, you can most likely just have the movement serviced at an RSC, and probably a new crown and crystal for water resistance. If they insist on changing other parts, just go to an independent. As Dan says, the hands might be an issue because of what looks like corrosion.

As a family heirloom, would be nice to have Rolex paperwork on the watch.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote