The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2023, 06:37 AM   #1
rockysw
"TRF" Member

starbucks vs batman

I am sure this topic has been discussed to death but I htought I will add my views as well.

For the first time today, I saw the two side by side. Actually, this was the first time my seeing new GMT and new submariner side by side. So below are some of my observations (again nothing new):

- Submariner feels a little smaller on wrist.

- Submariner is more understated of the two. One is becuase of the bracelet ofcourse with GMT having PCL but I think the bigger factor is the font/numbers on bezel. GMT has large font and it covers all of the bezel. Submariner on the other hand has small font and is not graduated, and looks a bit sleeker.

- Same as the second point above, the bezel on GMT is two colour, so bit more striking and with large font it pops significantly more. Only exception perhaps would be bright sunlight, where I expect the green to pop more from a distance.

- Batman does feel more verstaile given the blue/black colour scheme. Although think era green watches are also considered quite versatile these days. I usually wear blue a lot so I do have some doubts about starbucks being a viable daily watch for me. Any views from people who have it and wear blue a lot?

On the wrist I really liked both of them. My wife preferred BLNR but she agreed that from a daily watch perspective starbucks is a better choice (realtively understated) if I can be ok with wearing green with my blue shirts. But itnerestingly, she said she preferred my DJ41 Azzurro Blue on both these watches which I would have to sell to fund one of them. I was quite surprised but she doesnt know watches a lot so perhaps a hype free view. She didnt seem to have any strong obejctions, so I think she wouldnt mind whichever way I go :D
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 06:42 AM   #2
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
LV is a bigger watch in everything but the lugs, which many here prefer over the thicker one. I love the BLNR. It can go without almost everything. Some love to mix and max colors and others do not. Buy what sings to you the most and don't sweat the rest.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 06:47 AM   #3
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
You really cannot loose either way. Both are great watches. For a daily thought, I report the LV. Admittedly I haven’t had the 6 digit GMT, but having two watches with pcls comparatively I think I would go with the Sub.

My wife actually says the same. She prefers my Datejust over any of my sports watches. She thinks they are all a bit ugly.
Old 30 May 2023, 06:47 AM   #4
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Owned both and 3 different datejusts. Only the black sub date now. Datejust just felt wrong on my wrists. The fluted bezel looked old overtime and I always missed the black ceramic bezel when I didn’t have it on. Green is nice but can’t wear with everything, plus the black sub is classic and timeless. There is a reason it is the most iconic watch ever. My wife and son prefer the black sub date and appreciate their opinion. The lugs are too big on current GMTs, look forward to the updated case.
Old 30 May 2023, 07:00 AM   #5
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I have all of them and love them all, no wrong choice here, just depends on individual preference. Go with the one that sings to you the most.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 07:18 AM   #6
ducatiti
Banned

Blnr, dj coming in close second because you can dress down the blnr better.

I have a DJ41 in blue, fluted and jubilee. After three years of ownership, I find it too dressy now.

Easier to match blue with anything compared to green and the gmt wears a little thinner compared to sub.

That being said, good to have all three :)
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 07:20 AM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If choosing between the two another factor to consider is that one is a diver and one is a GMT. The utility is different regardless of how they look. Which is more useful? For me it's a GMT function because I actually use it for working/traveling in different time zones. I don't dive or even swim.

Ideally, if building a collection, they are strong contenders for joint inclusion. In my case it's the 126710BLRO alongside the 116610LV. Each to our own.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 08:36 AM   #8
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If choosing between the two another factor to consider is that one is a diver and one is a GMT. The utility is different regardless of how they look. Which is more useful? For me it's a GMT function because I actually use it for working/traveling in different time zones. I don't dive or even swim.

Ideally, if building a collection, they are strong contenders for joint inclusion. In my case it's the 126710BLRO alongside the 116610LV. Each to our own.
Utility wise, I just want a robust watch that can take the daily bearing which I think both are good enough for. I do have BLRO on jubliee, but I think BLNR on oyster is different enough to have both.

I dont have a diver so sub will sit better in my collection and overall I think I like it more but the only downside is that the colour may not go with everything (I am two minded about this point though).
Old 30 May 2023, 09:10 AM   #9
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
Utility wise, I just want a robust watch that can take the daily bearing which I think both are good enough for. I do have BLRO on jubliee, but I think BLNR on oyster is different enough to have both.

I dont have a diver so sub will sit better in my collection and overall I think I like it more but the only downside is that the colour may not go with everything (I am two minded about this point though).
I think the black sub would be a perfect complement to you DJ. I had the sub and blue DJ at one point.
Old 30 May 2023, 09:17 AM   #10
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date

I wear a ton of blue. Navy to royal and I find the green actually compliments it. Wore it with a blue suit and it was perfect amount of color.

You can’t go wrong either way but I think the green on this sub is the best possible shade they could use. I would imagine the more lime color would be harder to just throw on with stuff.

I’m also not one for being too matchy either. The green is actually fairly subtle in most light so 9/10 people won’t even notice.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 09:22 AM   #11
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post

I wear a ton of blue. Navy to royal and I find the green actually compliments it. Wore it with a blue suit and it was perfect amount of color.

You can’t go wrong either way but I think the green on this sub is the best possible shade they could use. I would imagine the more lime color would be harder to just throw on with stuff.

I’m also not one for being too matchy either. The green is actually fairly subtle in most light so 9/10 people won’t even notice.

Hope this helps!

I agree the new green would be tougher to match. I couldn’t pull off blue and green, I know what the OP is thinking. Some people care, probably too much, about being matchy, like me lol.
Old 30 May 2023, 10:28 AM   #12
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post

Hope this helps!

Thanks mate, it actually helps a lot, especially the pictures. It does seem to go very well
Old 30 May 2023, 10:33 AM   #13
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Batman.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 10:49 AM   #14
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Since you have a BLRO, I'd suggest a black Sub unless you want the splash of green specifically in your collection.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 11:08 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Since you already have a GMT, I’d get the diver
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 12:44 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
IMO, it's not really a "vs" situation. They're both incredible watches that I think a lot of collectors will accumulate, depending on the size/composition of their collection.

As far as picking one, I prefer the brushed bracelet and have always had a soft spot for green bezeled subs. But, that doesn't mean I would rule out adding the BLRNR at some point. My two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 12:51 AM   #17
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nicknames �
I feel submariner bigger and heavier ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-6916.jpg (261.8 KB, 639 views)

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 12:55 AM   #18
bjdub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
LV is my only Rolex. Wear it daily with anything from sweats to a suit and love it. Not once have I thought about the bezel possibly clashing with any outfit.

Personally, I don't think a watch needs to match and its not something I put any thought into when making my decision to get the green sub. That being said (since it sounds like you care), for a colored bezel, the green is pretty understated... It is under the radar enough that it isn't like you are making a fashion statement wearing the watch.
bjdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 01:04 AM   #19
zi464
"TRF" Member

Really depends on what situation.
Between these specific color for long term I will go for batman. IMO black and blue will age well than green.
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 02:34 AM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
I can definitely feel a Sub coming on there. All the best with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 02:37 AM   #21
BobbyB
Banned

Is the submariner 41 actually bigger than the gmt master 2? I know people say it’s feels bigger. But any measurements to prove this?

BobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:19 AM   #22
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
For me it would be the BLNR since I refer to GMT several times daily. The blue and black bezel insert go with anything from t-shirt, shorts, and sandals to black tie. For recreational diving and swimming, the BLNR WR is quite adequate. The BLRO and BLNR look different enough that both can be in a collection.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:35 AM   #23
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Funny you thought the Sub felt smaller. I have just purchased a black one and have had a black ceramic GMT in what feels like forever. Side by side, the sun feels decidedly larger to me.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:48 AM   #24
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I would go with a Starbucks. A diver is much more practical for everyday use. Unless you do need to track an additional time-zone.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:49 AM   #25
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I wear a lot of blue, and I thought the Starbucks when I had it looked great.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:56 AM   #26
j.mo
"TRF" Member

I have a black sub and a BLNR. The lady has taken to wearing the sub lately, so BLNR has become my daily.
I will say it does go with nearly anything, and I do like the look. However, if I had to choose only one, LN sub.
The LN sub was my only watch for many years.

j.mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 03:58 AM   #27
j.mo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdub View Post
LV is my only Rolex. Wear it daily with anything from sweats to a suit and love it. Not once have I thought about the bezel possibly clashing with any outfit.

Personally, I don't think a watch needs to match and its not something I put any thought into when making my decision to get the green sub. That being said (since it sounds like you care), for a colored bezel, the green is pretty understated... It is under the radar enough that it isn't like you are making a fashion statement wearing the watch.

I tend to disagree. My hulk definitely makes a presence on the wrist. It could be the dial though more so than bezel.

j.mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 08:05 AM   #28
rockysw
"TRF" Member

thank you everyone for the comments. very helpful response from the forum as always :)
Old 31 May 2023, 08:39 AM   #29
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

GMT for me--BLNR is the choice among the options given. Although I sold both my BLNR and CHNR because to me the BLRO is the only GMT I desire.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 06:27 PM   #30
boltz
Banned

I own both of them, i think they're great.
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote