The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2018, 10:15 AM   #1
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
My Rolex AD Shopping Visit September 19 2018

Please excuse the length of this post –
I am reporting about my Rolex-shopping experience, and I also have an interesting story about a local AD almost being shut down due to a Gray Market issue.
Made a road trip Sept. 19 to one of our several local Rolex AD’s. We are a large Metropolitan area with four Rolex AD’s.
This particular AD is a many-decades-old family-run high-end custom Jewelry and Rolex retailer. They are favored as a high sales dealer and they quite often receive some of Rolex’s “most exclusive items.” Can you say “Rainbow”? (No, it is long gone now, sold.) If you do not know what the now-discontinued Rainbow is, do some research. It is a fascinating piece.
The search was on to expand my collection with the elusive 214270 Explorer. I really do want this to use as a daily wearer. “Babying” my others is too much effort and it is long overdue for a “tool watch.”
Of course, they have no SS models of anything except a pair of Explorer II’s, and have not seen any other SS for over two months. But I was promised the very next Explorer that arrives. (It really does help to be a long term customer at your AD and have a good working relationship with them.)
They are quote “inundated on a daily basis” unquote with folks - all over the country - calling them about SS models. They are also annoyed from Gray Market dealers looking to buy any and all SS models.
The AD only wants to deal with walk-in’s --locals plus a lot of visitors from around the world-- or other long term customers, and avoid the “phone pests.”
This is a very affluent area with a lot of well-to-do folk, and I got to hear some fascinating stories. There are too many good stories to even think of listing in this message.
One man has purchased from them, over the years, “at least” 100 Rolexes. And he won’t even take the receipts, so the store retains them in his own file folder.
Hope that guy has a premium safe, good insurance, 24 hour armed guards and a pack of trained wolves.
My AD’s overall stock of Rolex items is quite extensive. They even have quite a few Daytona’s and YM’s, but not in SS or Platinum.
One thing that does not ever move for them – the ladies watches in the smaller sizes of 26mm to 34mm. Some of the stock they have goes back years, and they just do not move. My sales person told me that ladies today in general prefer larger, easier to read sizes of 36mm up even to 41mm, with 36mm being by far the most popular. He is wondering if someday they may have to try to move the smaller models at severely reduced cost. If so, might Rolex need to provide input on that? Currently this older stock is a rather perplexing situation for them. Those watches may actually need service before they sell, due to dried lube!
Another story that shocked me – the Everose Gold models. Women do not want it, yet men do. Quote “For every 50 Everose’s sold to men, we might sell one to a woman” unquote. My sales person is scratching his head over that.
(BTW - Have we noticed that a large amount of the newer production items at the Rolex website seem to be increasingly featuring Everose Gold, with YG-offered items seemingly on the decline?)
Everose Gold looked odd in the incandescent-lit showcases – almost like slightly tinted Yellow Gold. But I was not able to look at one outside in the sun as it is overcast and very rainy today. I would have liked to know if it has a pink cast under normal sunlight.
Perhaps on my next trip an Everose can be viewed in sunlight. (heh – with my running shoes on?)
For fit and evaluation purposes, I asked to try on a 39 to 41mm watch to see how one might fit me; my wrist is quite small at about 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 inches or so, as near as I can tape-measure. I have never had a large-ish watch.
My sales friend handed me a 42mm Explorer II Black Dial and was surprised and pleased to see that it fit nicely on my small wrist. So that made me even more excited to know that the 39mm Explorer will be a really good size choice. The three-link bracelet wrapped around nicely and looked good too. Still do not care much for the EXP II though. It is just not for me.
For anyone who is concerned how a larger Rolex watch might look on their smaller 6-1/2 – 6-3/4 inch wrist – there should be no issue up to at least 42mm, so do not worry.
Now on to the “angered Rolex!” story.
A watch that this AD sold turned up at a Gray Market site. Rolex somehow discovered that and was threatening to shut down this AD. The AD makes copies of all the warranty cards, and when they checked the sale they found that everything seemed to be good. Rolex then sent them a photocopy of the warranty signature. The store enlarged the warranty on their computer screen and discovered that the original owner’s name was ALMOST erased, but was still quite faintly visible on the card. The first signature had been erased and the second signature was done in a wide Sharpie pen, almost obscuring the original. Had more effort been made up front to examine the card, the threat-of-shutdown situation for the AD would not have occurred. So our AD was saved, having done nothing wrong. Rolex was initially very angry with the AD until the truth was eventually revealed. And it was also revealed to my AD that Rolex has indeed shut down “a number” of AD’s who were unethical with regard of willingly selling items to Gray Market dealers.
Rolex now has policy in place (as most of us already know,) that has directed (at least in the U.S.) that NO watch is to leave any store without the warranty card being signed in front of and verified by the sales person. (So no using Number 2 pencils, eh?)
My AD sales person goes to Rolex meetings around the country when they occur. He is told nothing of any real use to us – he is not privy to sales figures, models / production amounts currently in production, etc. The one thing that he was told as being of any real interest is that quote “Rolex is currently running their facilities full tilt 24/7” unquote.
Perhaps some folk local to the Geneva facilities could verify that for the Watch-enthusiast websites.
Now the wait begins for my Explorer. As my friend at the store told me: It could be this week – it could be next month – it could be next year.
So we all just have to wait for our desired watches to appear whenever and wherever.
Oh and my sales rep gave me a nice thick manual about all the charitable work Rolex does. Need to go through it. It could be a nice read.
I make no claim as to the accuracy of the above information; I merely restate what my AD friend has told me directly.
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:19 AM   #2
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
That warranty card policy isn’t applied in the UK. I bought a DJ for the wife 3 weeks ago and they didn’t make us sign the card and left most of the stickers on too. Maybe would have been different for a sports model but who knows.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:01 PM   #3
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Oh dear, all the above and no PIX

Is it even safe to buy a watch from an AD, or will I be tracked by the "ROLEX POLICE"

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT, YM,
Good read! Thank you for taking the time to write it.
Cesarmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:22 PM   #5
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

I am a little surprised by the warranty card thing. As I understand, it is just a reference. When the watch is sold, the AD is supposed to register it on the spot with Rolex. So even if the card is altered, Rolex should be able to lookup the serial number and see that your AD did in fact register the watch when it was sold. If all the ADs did this the Grey dealers would be easy to spot because the names would come up over and over again. I think the ADs are just selling without registering. In that case the watch cannot ever be registered with Rolex for warranty, unless the AD is willing to sell to the Gray and then also register the watch for the Grey when sold to the ultimate end user.
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:34 PM   #6
SkyDwelling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
A watch that this AD sold turned up at a Gray Market site. Rolex somehow discovered that and was threatening to shut down this AD.
I understand what they are coming from, but would never have thought that they actively scan the internet examining watches
SkyDwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:36 PM   #7
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Thanks for sharing your visit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:43 PM   #8
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
That warranty card policy isn’t applied in the UK. I bought a DJ for the wife 3 weeks ago and they didn’t make us sign the card and left most of the stickers on too. Maybe would have been different for a sports model but who knows.
Yup i can confirm; i had a similar experience in buying from the UK, my wife’s Datejust came with the card un named and stickers intact while my Daytona; card had to be signed by me and kept by them for 12 months. I didnt mind and the AD was more than wonderful, but i see why its an issue to some people.
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:44 PM   #9
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
different ADs, different stories
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Litflynt912
"TRF" Member

Has to be Hamra Jewlers....
I walked in looking for a 114060 a few months back and they couldn’t be more snobbish
Litflynt912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:43 PM   #11
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
The one thing that he was told as being of any real interest is that quote “Rolex is currently running their facilities full tilt 24/7” unquote.
But, but, I thought Rolex was cutting back production in order to move the brand upmarket???
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:47 PM   #12
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
And no paragraph breaks. Lordy that's hard to read!
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:49 PM   #13
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Can someone give the cliff notes version?
Old 20 September 2018, 03:18 PM   #14
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Well, the rose gold watches, even though they were bought by men, are they sure they aren’t for wives or girlfriends?
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:38 PM   #15
mrhanzdotcom
Banned

Watch: 14060 116710BLNR
Thanks for sharing. There is one explorer been sitting at my ad for one month.
mrhanzdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:54 PM   #16
w!dowmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date, Exp 1
Thanks for sharing. Something I enjoy reading from time to time.

Here my 214270 Mk1 on a 6.5” wrist. It’s a sweet spot for me and definitely a joy to wear.
w!dowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:27 PM   #17
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

I really like my Explorer I MkII and my wrist is about the same size. I think the AD's stories might be a bit embellished. I don't see how Rolex can be producing '24/7'. Certainly not literally. If so there would be all sorts of evidence that was happening. There is certainly not a doubling of supply out there. If all these extra watches are in fact being produced, where are they going? The AD you visited certainly doesn't seem to be getting them, unless they are going out the back door to a grey dealer. All the evidence from folks on this site visiting ADs, including myself, indicate there is less supply, fewer shipments and fewer watches in those shipments. It even seems to be this way in many markets, not only the US but from recent visitors to Dubai and the largest Rolex AD. So I'd ask the AD where do all those watches go?

Could be that Rolex reps tell the AD's this to make them feel like Rolex is 'doing all they can' while the AD's cash flow suffers from lack of supply. "Hey, it is not our fault!" says Rolex. I think the real case is that Rolex is in fact cutting supply to maintain demand. I don't think they are doing it to battle the grey market. If anything the grey market is flourishing and it has the secondary effect of showing Rolex what the true market value is of some of their watches. To paraphrase...

"Rolex doth protest too much, methinks."
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:31 PM   #18
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Yeah, I'm scrolling down looking for highlights...I just can't, I tried lol.
And no pix.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:38 PM   #19
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ
OP can you arrange it nicely on paragraph format pls.
Old 20 September 2018, 08:20 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The saga continues... instead of watches we now have a daily soap opera.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 08:23 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good read. Thanks for sharing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:25 PM   #22
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
You mentioned Exp II three times in your story including trying one on but as always, no purchasing interest.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:30 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
it would have
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 01:43 AM   #24
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
No pix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post

Is it even safe to buy a watch from an AD, or will I be tracked by the "ROLEX POLICE"
Yes, please show us a picture of no watches in the display!
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 01:47 AM   #25
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Yeah, I'm scrolling down looking for highlights...I just can't, I tried lol.
And no pix.
Jeez! Again. Why are you asking for a pix? There are no watches in the display!
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 02:57 AM   #26
R!$
Banned

welcome to the forum
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 03:18 AM   #27
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Hi All!

Thanks for all the efforts made to read my monstrosity. Yes the formatting (lack thereof) is very annoying. Next time I will make a draft and do it right before posting (NEVER make a post when you are very tired.)

PICTURES: I was actually afraid to ask about taking any photos inside the store. Not sure how they would react, and there is no way that I am going to make a potential risk to my long term relationship with them. Did not care about photo'ing what was on my wrist anyway. They may not appreciate potentially thinking they were going to have their stock displayed all over the internet, either up close or in the background. It made me uncomfortable to even consider asking, so that issue was off the table for me. All the times I have been in there I have never seen anyone snapping photos. It would just seem very rude and thoughtless anyway.

24/7 FACTORY RUN: I also agree that sounds a bit farfetched. It would mean the staff working very long double or triple shifts, and I just can't see that as a tenable situation. But once again, I am merely reporting what the sales person stated.

THE RETAILER MENTIONED BY NAME: No. Been there, done that. I would not go back there if they were the only Rolex retailer on the face of the earth. My go-to AD treats everyone with respect and friendliness. They do get a lot of foreign people on vacation who are just out and about generically shopping, often wearings shorts and flip-flops, and you just never know WHO has the money.

MISC: My AD has at least four meteorite dial watches. These are really beautiful to see up close.
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 03:26 AM   #28
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

I don't quite follow this. AD do not sell to grey dealers, but prefer to sell to their best customers - one of whom has bought 100 Rolexs!

No one needs or wants 100 Rolex watches...
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 05:39 AM   #29
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
And then summarize the cliff notes please?
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 07:45 AM   #30
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
I don't quite follow this. AD do not sell to grey dealers, but prefer to sell to their best customers - one of whom has bought 100 Rolexs!

No one needs or wants 100 Rolex watches...
Sounds like a grey to me.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote