The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2018, 10:58 PM   #1201
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
As the guy who started this thread back on December 11, 2017, I’m curious to know if you all are having any fun in this sector? Any big profits made? Hopefully, at least a few Rolexes were made. Lord only knows it’s been wild and woolly ride.

Rumor has it that Monday could bring a big announcement according to BNN Bloomberg News GM’s comments in a radio interview, so that ought to give folks some excitement for next week. Sounds like a large global brand will be tying up with a Canadian LP, but only time will tell who it is.

Diageo or Anheuser-Busch, Novartis, Altria/Philip Morris? Who’s the target? Aphria, Tilray, Aurora, CannTrust, Hexo?
It’s funny i keep counting my gains in the market by Rolexes.. kinda like up or down a Daytona or two today. Made some crazy profits - but now just looking for the undervalued (relatively speaking). I actually shorted Tilray for a quick scalp as well. Some of these stocks are beyond bubble territory. I think we’ll see a big correction within the next six months but until then enjoy the ride!
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:12 AM   #1202
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
mcorliss - I got in Nov 2017 with about $15k in a non-IRA and another $15k in an IRA. The former has nearly doubled and if it holds into Dec, will pay for my solar system for the house (new roof going on this week). The IRA was invested a little later but is doing well too. I believe in the industry but eventually will sell off the investment and let the profits ride.

Thanks for the tips!
Nice work! Very happy for your gains.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:23 AM   #1203
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicator View Post
It’s funny i keep counting my gains in the market by Rolexes.. kinda like up or down a Daytona or two today. Made some crazy profits - but now just looking for the undervalued (relatively speaking). I actually shorted Tilray for a quick scalp as well. Some of these stocks are beyond bubble territory. I think we’ll see a big correction within the next six months but until then enjoy the ride!
I hear you. The volatility and certain valuations ate off the charts right now. There was a brief period when I was counting my daily gains and loses in multiple Platonas. Make them Monday, give them all back Tuesday, make them again Wednesday...you get the drift. Was so emotionally wrenching that based on the speed of the rally, ultimately locked in prior profits, and went to almost all cash, perhaps 2 days too early (ugh!), but do feel sometimes making a clean break to reset perspective, even if for just a week or so, helps regain a balanced perspective and objectivity. Trying to remain disciplined regarding re-entry points is very difficult to navigate, especially when it sounds like there may be big news coming this week. If one misses it, so be it, there will be lots of other opportunities. You kind of have to feel good about your purchases, because if you end up chasing too hard, things can be catastrophic in this segment...like real fast.
Old 18 September 2018, 12:15 AM   #1204
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Aurora. Possible Coca-Cola deal. Up 19%.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 12:38 AM   #1205
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Aurora. Possible Coca-Cola deal. Up 19%.
Trading halted as Aurora came out and said there is no such deal with a beverage company - expecting a big pull back once trading resumes.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 12:40 AM   #1206
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Trading halted as Aurora came out and said there is no such deal with a beverage company - expecting a big pull back once trading resumes.
Not for nothing but this probably won't be pretty!?!?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:34 AM   #1207
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Aurora is back up on my feed. And its up 4.5%. nothing crazy. but looking good.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:55 AM   #1208
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Aurora is back up on my feed. And its up 4.5%. nothing crazy. but looking good.
Yeah, just saw that and it's surprising. It jumped on news of a big deal and then they come out and say there is no deal and it's still going up again after the trading halt is lifted. Go figure.

Not complaining, but I don't get it.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 19 September 2018, 01:59 AM   #1209
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Cashed out on most of my holdings today. Was up a decent amount and would like to wait for another dip to buy back
Old 19 September 2018, 02:20 AM   #1210
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
Cashed out on most of my holdings today. Was up a decent amount and would like to wait for another dip to buy back
I just sold out shares to cover my initial investments in Canopy and Aurora and that will pay for my solar system for the house. I'll let the gains ride for a while and see where the industry goes. It's all house money in the non-IRA account at this point.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:21 AM   #1211
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
I am actually thinking about doing this....

Not sure if it goes against my philosophy. But I do think we are in a bubble.

And while I vehemently disagree with trying to time the market, this seems like a smart idea right now....

I would simply sell my stock, keep the loot ready and load up when the bubble bursts.

But I am a bit of chicken with these things....

Old 19 September 2018, 03:33 AM   #1212
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Not really trying to time the market. Just trying to collect some profit after a long long time I’ve been waiting at ~40% down.
I made $1500 profit over a $8000 investment which isn’t a whole lot but I’m happy with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 September 2018, 12:11 AM   #1213
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

WTF?

Tiray up 35% this morning?
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:05 AM   #1214
SlowhandBuzz
"TRF" Member

Tilray appears to be in a big short squeeze. I would think it is creating a Bitcoin esque buying frenzy that will burst when the original shares are unlocked to the market.
SlowhandBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 01:29 AM   #1215
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

Yes it does.

Now up 53%
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:35 AM   #1216
blevine
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C with date
Great thread. After a long period of being in the red on the investments I made based on recommendations here, (aphria, canopy, hypothecary) they are finally up big and in the black. It has been a gut wrenching road and to lock in some gains I have sold a little at a profit, yet the majority is still riding and rising.

My question to the group is this:
The first date for full on recreational sales of Cannabis in canada is coming up soon in October. If you were planning on selling would you sell:
1. Before this date?
2. Right on or near this date?
3. Well after this date?
*. This date is irrelevant to movement up or down in these Cannabis stocks.

Please let me know your opinion as I am perplexed on how to proceed as this (I believe) significant date approaches.
blevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 06:09 AM   #1217
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

TLRY.
What a ride

Thx for posting.
Wish I bought more. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Of course, do your due diligence.
Tomorrow (July 19th, 2018) a first true cannabis play will IPO on a US exchange. Tilray (TLRY) will debut on Nasdaq, around $14-$16. Tilray is closely tied to Privateer Holdings, one of whose largest investors is none other than Peter Thiel’s (founder of PayPal) Founder’s Fund.
Here’s some reading info, this company is doing things right, and has already hit the ground running with several provincial contracts in Canada in addition to other revenue sources.

https://www.investors.com/news/marij...blic-offering/

https://www.tilray.com

https://www.tilray.ca

Personally (and by no means should you listen to me, again, do your own research), I will watch it closely. Don’t think I will be opening a position right away, as 1) weed IPO’s have experienced short term initial decline post-IPO (Green Tec, TGOD, etc) and 2) we are balls-deep into summer doldrums and most days my long portfolio looks like Carrie on prom night. There may be a better entry few days post-IPO, there may not. I will be on the sidelines ready to jump in on any kind of post-IPO-euphoria dip, should there be one.
Old 20 September 2018, 08:58 AM   #1218
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Sold half my position in tlry today was up over $200 per share and now letting the rest of the houses money ride since my initial investment money is out. Also bought some cgc and acbff today on dips. Tlry defies logic reminds me of jdsu for all the old school fiber optic stock investors.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:26 AM   #1219
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am actually thinking about doing this....

Not sure if it goes against my philosophy. But I do think we are in a bubble.

And while I vehemently disagree with trying to time the market, this seems like a smart idea right now....

I would simply sell my stock, keep the loot ready and load up when the bubble bursts.

But I am a bit of chicken with these things....
FWIW. I’m not doing this. Almost did it today. Up over 20k. And I’m thrilled.

But I’m conservative at heart. Sticking to my guns. Letting it sit.

I think I’ll be up over 100k in less than 2 years. If that happens, I sell the GTS and pick up a nice low mileage 458.

Just kidding. I really want to do that. I do. But I want to ride this train for ten years and see where it goes.

Old 20 September 2018, 11:33 AM   #1220
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think I’ll be up over 100k in less than 2 years. If that happens, I sell the GTS and pick up a nice low mileage 458.

Just kidding. I really want to do that. I do. But I want to ride this train for ten years and see where it goes.
Like you, I’ve been down and now up. Can lose what I have in here.
Wish I picked TLRY. Was waiting for a pullback at $26.
I’ll stay in for the long haul. Sadly had limits set so up $ but with fewer shares.
I’ll buy Seth’s car when he gets his Ferrari!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 12:33 PM   #1221
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevine View Post
Great thread. After a long period of being in the red on the investments I made based on recommendations here, (aphria, canopy, hypothecary) they are finally up big and in the black. It has been a gut wrenching road and to lock in some gains I have sold a little at a profit, yet the majority is still riding and rising.

My question to the group is this:
The first date for full on recreational sales of Cannabis in canada is coming up soon in October. If you were planning on selling would you sell:
1. Before this date?
2. Right on or near this date?
3. Well after this date?
*. This date is irrelevant to movement up or down in these Cannabis stocks.

Please let me know your opinion as I am perplexed on how to proceed as this (I believe) significant date approaches.

I’m going to try to hold until January when they report first Q earnings.
Old 20 September 2018, 09:11 PM   #1222
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:

Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:06 PM   #1223
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Yeah I've been dancing around 50% gains. I wish I had something to invest in Tilray when it IPO'd but didn't.
I'm holding, I converted AET stock for these investments. So by my math - Sold AET for 180, today it's 206. That's a 14% gain in 8 months which would have been pretty darn good.
My portfolio of pot stocks after pull back today is 41% for same time period. That's almost three times the gain which is good. Of course the bad is if I sell before a year is up I get capital gains tax, which I wouldn't have had on the AET stock. So I gotta ride this train a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:07 PM   #1224
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick8moses View Post
Yeah I've been dancing around 50% gains. I wish I had something to invest in Tilray when it IPO'd but didn't.
I'm holding, I converted AET stock for these investments. So by my math - Sold AET for 180, today it's 206. That's a 14% gain in 8 months which would have been pretty darn good.
My portfolio of pot stocks after pull back today is 41% for same time period. That's almost three times the gain which is good. Of course the bad is if I sell before a year is up I get capital gains tax, which I wouldn't have had on the AET stock. So I gotta ride this train a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
World of advice, NEVER let tax planning guide investment strategy. It seldom works out. Got 30 years of professional investing experience examples to prove that thesis.

Personally, my feelings are if you’re taking a gain, you will still owe taxes regardless of timing. I’ve gotten burned more times than I can count about waiting just 3-4 extra days to sell into the new year.

If tax efficiency is important, do what I do, make your IRA your primary short-term trading vehicle. The decades long tax deferral really exploits the power of compounding...in an exponential way. Eventually, you’ll pay income tax on withdrawals, but in the interim you will have been able to make money on what would have been lost to taxes years ago.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:59 AM   #1225
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Anybody following NBEV? Been incredible this week...
SADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 12:57 PM   #1226
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Make sure to watch PYX at the open, could be a massive day tomorrow.
SADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:10 AM   #1227
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
World of advice, NEVER let tax planning guide investment strategy. It seldom works out. Got 30 years of professional investing experience examples to prove that thesis.

Personally, my feelings are if you’re taking a gain, you will still owe taxes regardless of timing. I’ve gotten burned more times than I can count about waiting just 3-4 extra days to sell into the new year.

If tax efficiency is important, do what I do, make your IRA your primary short-term trading vehicle. The decades long tax deferral really exploits the power of compounding...in an exponential way. Eventually, you’ll pay income tax on withdrawals, but in the interim you will have been able to make money on what would have been lost to taxes years ago.
Good advice thank you.
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 08:48 AM   #1228
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

ALEF turned into a 4-bagger for me this week. could hit 5x next week.

Still need many of my core holdings to pull doubles to get back to where i was in Jan though.

Shoppers Drug Mart just announced they received their license after hours today which should be good news for APH, EMC, WMD and others with SDM supply agreements.
bing240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 11:23 PM   #1229
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Lots of hype in the space hopefully everyone took profits.

While I believe weed is here to stay. Supply will be the biggest overhang.

Yes its fun to smoke.have weed once in a while, but once the novelty wears off most don't do it every single day like drinking.

Still long term think the market is there....>medical looks interesting

but the valuations here got insane. Maybe 1-3 years of depressed prices then increase again
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:26 AM   #1230
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SADDLE View Post
Anybody following NBEV? Been incredible this week...

Just picked up some today-I like the potential in this company.

This is not a swing trade-buy and hold.

s2h904 is offline   Reply With Quote