The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2013, 04:00 AM   #1
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Question Regarding Restoring PCLs

I have read many posts regarding brushing PCLs and I am considering that for my GMT IIC. However, most of those posts say the same thing - namely: " restoring the PCLs later is no problem and that is what the RSC would do anyway".

My questions is.... has anyone actually restored their PCLs and if so is it as easy as described?

Pics would be appreciated.
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2013, 04:11 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfduff723 View Post
I have read many posts regarding brushing PCLs and I am considering that for my GMT IIC. However, most of those posts say the same thing - namely: " restoring the PCLs later is no problem and that is what the RSC would do anyway".

My questions is.... has anyone actually restored their PCLs and if so is it as easy as described?

Pics would be appreciated.
Well just as any ss surface can be brushed its just as easy with the correct tools to have a polished surface its not rocket science.Done it myself quite a few years back to a SD but it only lasted about 5 minuets as I brushed it straight back again it just did not look correct on a tool watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2013, 04:26 AM   #3
xxthe_remedyxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Question Regarding Restoring PCLs

Not a good idea to brush the PCL's. Brushing them leaves fine grooves in the metal which is fine if you want to leave it brushed, but if you decide to polish back you'll have to take quite a bit of metal off to get it back to looking the way it did.

Also, the outer links adjacent to the center link will never look the same. It's quite difficult to get them looking stock after the brushing. Hopefully your watchmaker is a master and knows exactly what he's doing.

BTW - The above information comes from a very reputable and respected watchmaker who is a member of this forum.
xxthe_remedyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2013, 03:21 AM   #4
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses guys... it sounds like the easier part is brushing versus restoring. That being the case brushing is probably for those folks that really don't intend to go back to PCLs. Would you agree?

Has anyone out there actually reversed the brushing of PCLs and were you able to regain original condition?
Old 18 February 2013, 06:05 AM   #5
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
I reversed, and yes, exactly back to the original. And all done by my local watchmaker. I only reversed back to PCL's as I flipped my GMTC.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2013, 07:51 AM   #6
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexplorerII View Post
I reversed, and yes, exactly back to the original. And all done by my local watchmaker. I only reversed back to PCL's as I flipped my GMTC.
Great - appreciate the reponse.
Old 18 February 2013, 11:39 AM   #7
rolio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Birdies
Don't you like the polished center links? I think anything is fitting if it's "original."

Rolex~By way of an extraordinary life,
and all the simple pleasures it has to offer
~
rolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 02:31 AM   #8
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolio View Post
Don't you like the polished center links? I think anything is fitting if it's "original."
Honestly... I am on the fence. Most of the time it is that little bit of extra bling that I don't care for. Really just a question of personal style.

I do agree with your point about original - I just wish that Rolex offered the option of brushed or PCLs when purchasing the GMT IIC.

That said it is an awesome watch all around.