The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 September 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Glowing tritium on vintage GMT's?

Hi, I recall I had read somewhere that a small batch of vintage GMT's tritium still glows, just wanted to know the reason for that especially since most of the other tritium vintage watches of that era don't emit a glow when exposed to a light source and viewed inthe dark. Also had read somewhere that some vintage tritium Rolexes do glow for a while and fade quickly,is that correct and if so, how quickly?

Thanks

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
It's been relumed in my opinion is the answer!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
U5512
"TRF" Member

Some late '70s original dials with tritium still glow faintly at night...I was surprised when I first notice mine in the midde of the night. The glowing is consistent and won't fade as it's tritium.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:40 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I've never seen a tritium dial or hands glow from the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I have had several 1966 Matte Dialed GMT's in the past that still glowed and the same goes for the submariners of the same batch. They will glow for a long time when charged next to a light. The markers have like a very light lime green tone to them. Many have mistaken this batch as relumed in the past. Here is a Submariner I had a while back that is from this batch.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:49 AM   #6
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Many still glow, seems to be different mixture used

mostly in the mid 2 million era in GMT and Subs as far as I have had anyway.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Mickey®
Banned

Does Tritium really "GET Charged" and glow more when next to a light??
Never seen that on my former Tritium dials...
Old 11 September 2012, 11:52 AM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
my 1981 datejust has the little glow blobs near the batons. every once and again, i glance down and they are shining back. kinda random. i tried to take it to the beach and bake it in the sun,but it had no impact. totally random. a possessed Christine Datejust
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 11:57 AM   #9
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
Does Tritium really "GET Charged" and glow more when next to a light??
Never seen that on my former Tritium dials...
Tritium is a radioactive substance and thus has a half life. My 96 sd still faintly glows when charged. I also had a vintage 70's heuer bund and because the tritium was much more thn t<25. , it was like a torch for a fe minutes after charging. The illumination capacity decreases over time

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 12:46 PM   #10
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
I can make out my hands and plots on my Snowflake (79) if in a real, real dark room - but not from more that a couple inches. It is the same all the time and sun or LED has no bearing on it as far as I can see.
Old 11 September 2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Tritium does not glow at all. It is a radioactive substance that emits high-energy particles that cause the phosphorous paint to glow..

So, if the tritium is active, the lume glows. If it is not active, the lume will not glow. However, some compounds can be excited slightly by light, so - light "charging" can last for a few seconds or minutes.... but it isn't the tritium that is charged, it is just the paint getting excited..

Tritium has a half-life of ~12 years, whether it is on the dial or on the shelf, so you never know how old the tritium on any dial is. After that 12 years it is half as energetic as it was new.... after another 12 years, that is halved again, and so on.. So, a 12 year old watch would have half the energy (if the tritium was brand new), a 24 year old watch would have 1/4 th energy, and a 30+ year old watch close to 1/8 the energy.... this just might not be enough to excite the paint but you still would not want to inhale it - hence, the danger of tritium..
Old 11 September 2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Pete17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Hi, I recall I had read somewhere that a small batch of vintage GMT's tritium still glows, just wanted to know the reason for that especially since most of the other tritium vintage watches of that era don't emit a glow when exposed to a light source and viewed inthe dark. Also had read somewhere that some vintage tritium Rolexes do glow for a while and fade quickly,is that correct and if so, how quickly?

Thanks
perfectly normal mate.
Some Mk1 -> early Mk4 red subs still have a very faint glow too- especially on the hands.
Other models from the mid 60's have also been known to still glow. Very faintly though.
Rolex changed the quality/quantity (?) of tritium soon after. You won't find many, if any, models still glowing from the 70's.
Old 11 September 2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

here's my 5513 from '66... the glowing doesn't last long but it's there

Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Pete17
"TRF" Member

That's an awesome lume still on that one Robby.
Old 11 September 2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

mine is a 1966 gilt dial 1675 GMT. NEVER re-lumed, and still holds a faint glow for a while:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9=11=11.jpg (38.1 KB, 1180 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4289.jpg (18.3 KB, 1170 views)
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2012, 08:29 PM   #16
Puffy
"TRF" Member

my 16750 from 1981 has no glow. how i like it...
Old 11 September 2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Exp & 114270
My T<25 1963 Explorer (dial and hands totally original) display hands with the tiniest degree of glow in the dark - but it takes some time for my eyes to see it. The dial markers, however, show absolutely nothing (different manufacturers of dial and hands?). Show it a strong light for just a few minutes and it glows like crazy - but only for a few seconds. I stopped being able to use it to tell the time at night in about the early eighties.
Old 12 September 2012, 12:05 AM   #18
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Great desription Larry. THANKS
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Great desription Larry. THANKS
X2
Warnsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 09:23 AM   #20
Robbie68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bond 60th
1968 5513 all original, still has some glow if charged. From what I have read its the phosphor in the lume mix from around this time that gets charged. It will glow reasonably bright for a few minutes but fades pretty quick.
My 1981 Sub appears to have no glow when the lights are turned out but if I wake up in the night it has enough left to just make out the time.
Robbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 09:27 AM   #21
Mickey®
Banned

I wonder how many people have "original dials" or "original Tritium" that glow...that are real good re lumes.

A lot can happen over that many years....
Old 12 September 2012, 11:02 AM   #22
Robbie68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bond 60th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
I wonder how many people have "original dials" or "original Tritium" that glow...that are real good re lumes.

A lot can happen over that many years....
Could be the case for some but mid 60s are known for being 'chargeable'. Looking at the aging of the lume on mine it would have to have been relumed at least 30+ years ago to get the patina it has now which would make no sense. Also, with tritium having a half life of 12 years it's not inconceivable that a thirty year old watch would still glow, it would just be at a fraction of % of its original luminosity. My 16800 from 81 does still glow but if it's in the winder next to modern watches and you turn out the light it looks completely dead, wake up in the night and view it in isolation and it is just bright enough to make out the time which seems about right for tritium that is somewhere between a quarter and an eighth of its original glow.
Robbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 11:23 AM   #23
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the detailed info on this and the awesome pics. I am loving the enthusiasm on this topic:).

So I guess relying on the glow factor of the lume is not a wholly valid test by iteself in judging lume originality on vintages. So what other factors do we need to take into consideration when judging lume originality especially on tritium? I have seen some mention a puffed up look on tritium lume compared to luminova but not sure what would be a sure test for us to judge that. Some places even suggest a geiger meter:) for testing radioactivity on older radium lume. It can also be further complicated if the luminova lume was done years ago or worse still if a tritium relume was done decades ago. Add to that some modern techniques used to make a relume have the aged patina look. I am assuming the experts can always tell?

Old 12 September 2012, 02:56 PM   #24
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Thanks guys for the detailed info on this and the awesome pics. I am loving the enthusiasm on this topic:).

So I guess relying on the glow factor of the lume is not a wholly valid test by iteself in judging lume originality on vintages. So what other factors do we need to take into consideration when judging lume originality especially on tritium? I have seen some mention a puffed up look on tritium lume compared to luminova but not sure what would be a sure test for us to judge that. Some places even suggest a geiger meter:) for testing radioactivity on older radium lume. It can also be further complicated if the luminova lume was done years ago or worse still if a tritium relume was done decades ago. Add to that some modern techniques used to make a relume have the aged patina look. I am assuming the experts can always tell?
Ultimately, if you have looked at many dials under high magnification, you can note differences in the structure of the various types of luminous matter used over the years, and what an original should look like. There is really no substitute for looking at a whole lot of dials very very carefully in order to learn the differences. If you compare truly original lume plots with even the best attempt by a clever restorer to mimic the effects of time, age and atmospheric conditions, you will see the difference. There are no perfect relumes.

Oh, and, yes, there was a brief period between c. 1966-68 when the original lume had a slight "greenish" cast to it, and those dials (later gilt/early matte subs and GMTs) do still glow, albeit faintly today.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 10:36 AM   #25
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post
Ultimately, if you have looked at many dials under high magnification, you can note differences in the structure of the various types of luminous matter used over the years, and what an original should look like. There is really no substitute for looking at a whole lot of dials very very carefully in order to learn the differences. If you compare truly original lume plots with even the best attempt by a clever restorer to mimic the effects of time, age and atmospheric conditions, you will see the difference. There are no perfect relumes.

Oh, and, yes, there was a brief period between c. 1966-68 when the original lume had a slight "greenish" cast to it, and those dials (later gilt/early matte subs and GMTs) do still glow, albeit faintly today.

Michael
Thanks Michael, glad the experts can still tell but pity novices like me can't easily without a lot of experience handling watches!

Old 13 September 2012, 02:14 PM   #26
mdw3
"TRF" Member

You will only learn by making your own mistakes. Probably a lot of them. Ask me how I know!

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 11:46 AM   #27
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

I owned Omega Mark 2 from 1970, still lumed for a brief second or so when under a neon light..
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2012, 10:37 PM   #28
mchad

Watch: 114060 SD SMP &S3
There are clearly differences in the lume composition. My 1990 SD has absolutely no effect from exposure to the brightest lights, yet still is completely visible (yet dim) at night. Not bright, but once my eyes adjust to the darkness, I can read the dial. And it stays the same brightness all night, the beauty of tritium. Unlike my service dialed 5513, which is a torch after exposure, but dimmer then the trit towards the early morning. I figure I still have a few years of tritium glow left... Which makes me happy.
mchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2012, 10:30 AM   #29
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

I have 1995 T-Swiss dial Explorer 2 and the lume is far gone. Though I still wish it'd glow even if just a tad.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 11:43 PM   #30
Throttle
"TRF" Member

I have the following which i do not believe have been relumed having inspected under loupe very carefully many times.

MF 5513 from 1967 greenish patina
Mk1 1675 from 1967 greenish patina
Mk4 7928 from 1967 pumpkin patina

All 3 glow when charged with a strong source of light.
All 3 also fade very quickly losing most of the glow within a minute or two the most.

So either it’s factory legit or people just simply like to relume Rolex/Tudors particularly from 1967.

��
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote