The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2013, 12:51 AM   #1
D10S
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Deep Sea question

I just got back from vacation and when I got home I noticed that the, what I will call, pearl on the face of my bezel is missing (The round object that sits on the triangle at the top of the bezel). What is this actually called and what is it made of?

I am going to call my seller this morning to find out about getting it replaced. The watch is still (I believe) under warranty. Should I expect to pay for this?
D10S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
If that little piece has fallen off inside the face, you could have a problem. I would say that you should immediately pull out the crown to stop the movement in order to prevent that little piece for interfering with the hands and possibly damaging the movement.
Is it new? When did you buy it? The answers to those questions should tell you if it's still under warranty.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 01:13 AM   #3
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor View Post
If that little piece has fallen off inside the face, you could have a problem. I would say that you should immediately pull out the crown to stop the movement in order to prevent that little piece for interfering with the hands and possibly damaging the movement.
Is it new? When did you buy it? The answers to those questions should tell you if it's still under warranty.
How can it go inside? It is on the bezel.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:24 AM   #4
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
If its under warranty it should be free but will require a new insert. If its not under warranty, you're looking at $1,000+ for a new ceramic insert.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:24 AM   #5
D10S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingSubTT View Post
How can it go inside? It is on the bezel.
Correct. It is (was) on the outside of the watch. So no problem with it interfering with anything. It is missing. What is it called? And what is it made of?
Old 19 February 2013, 01:35 AM   #6
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Sorry, my mistake for not reading properly.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 01:36 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D10S View Post
I just got back from vacation and when I got home I noticed that the, what I will call, pearl on the face of my bezel is missing (The round object that sits on the triangle at the top of the bezel). What is this actually called and what is it made of?

I am going to call my seller this morning to find out about getting it replaced. The watch is still (I believe) under warranty. Should I expect to pay for this?
There have been a few incidents of the pearl falling out of the ceramic inserts on forum,perhaps another case where ceramic is not always better.But you should be covered by the Rolex warranty to get it replaced I hope they do honour it otherwise its very expensive to replace as the whole insert will have to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor View Post
How can anything that located on a bezel insert outside the case possibly get into any watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 01:38 AM   #8
APguy1
Banned

Watch: Sub C 116610
Pics ????
APguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 01:41 AM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The pearl is gone? Unfortunately the entire insert has to be replaced as Rolex doesn't sell just that part.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 01:42 AM   #10
D10S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The pearl is gone? Unfortunately the entire insert has to be replaced as Rolex doesn't sell just that part.
Yes. And is it just called the pearl or is it in fact actually pearl?
Old 19 February 2013, 01:44 AM   #11
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
I'm not sure if that would be replaceable under the warranty, but I've heard of this before with the ceramic bezels, and feel this is a design flaw with the new bezels. If possible would you mind posting a pic? I'm curious to see how it looks without the pearl. Thanks and best of luck.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:46 AM   #12
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes. And is it just called the pearl or is it in fact actually pearl?
Yup it's generally called a pearl but not an actual pearl. I think it's made of sapphire as well?
Old 19 February 2013, 01:47 AM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRolexRyan View Post
I'm not sure if that would be replaceable under the warranty, but I've heard of this before with the ceramic bezels, and feel this is a design flaw with the new bezels.
No less than the gazillion aluminium bezels out there with missing pearls.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:59 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
No less than the gazillion aluminium bezels out there with missing pearls.
I would doubt that yes a few aluminum ones have lost the pearl but the whole inserts are very easy and quite cheap to replace.Now if it was the same price and ease of re-fitting for the ceramic then perhaps the ceramic would be a slight advantage.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2013, 02:04 AM   #15
D10S
"TRF" Member

Spoke with my dealer on the phone. I have to bring it in for them to look at. Not sure if they can fix it themselves or if Rolex will make them send it in for repair. Seems this model is special and Rolex may not get them the parts they need to fix it.
Old 19 February 2013, 02:19 AM   #16
watchupee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cell phone
Quote:
Spoke with my dealer on the phone. I have to bring it in for them to look at. Not sure if they can fix it themselves or if Rolex will make them send it in for repair. Seems this model is special and Rolex may not get them the parts they need to fix it.
Probably just send it to rolex,they most likely don't know what they are talking About. Special model? It matters not that it is a DSSD, It's just a simple bezel replacement. Pop out, pop in.
watchupee is offline   Reply With Quote