The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 10 July 2008, 07:08 AM   #31
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Thanks for the review. I'm a big fan of the Air King, and I believe it will be the next Rolex I try to purchase.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 11:00 PM   #32
lorsban
"TRF" Member

I think AirKing114200 said it best: "Its puristic design communicates clear understatement – and thus shows the owner’s style and exclusivity. "

In today's world of bling, super-sized cases, and outward shows of extravagance, the Air-King represents a return to traditional simplicity.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 01:39 AM   #33
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I remember when you could buy a preowned AK for $12-1500.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 01:50 AM   #34
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Spectacular review enjoyed reading it

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2008, 04:54 PM   #35
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Spectacular review enjoyed reading it
Thanks, Frostie!
Old 18 September 2008, 09:04 AM   #36
lagalaxy27
"TRF" Member

New here, but I just got my first Rolex. It's an air king. Just love it. It's the new model, blue face with orange numerals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akr.jpg (39.5 KB, 1213 views)
lagalaxy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2008, 02:49 PM   #37
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The blue/orange combination is very attractive. Congratulations on your new watch purchase.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 06:17 AM   #38
jbrockiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagalaxy27 View Post
New here, but I just got my first Rolex. It's an air king. Just love it. It's the new model, blue face with orange numerals
I like this face so much, I think it looks great on the AirKing. I'm thinking about getting this same watch. Wish they had this face on the Datejust too.
jbrockiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 06:55 AM   #39
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
I had been admiring the AirKing for many, many months thinking that'd be the watch for me only to realize how small it is, once I had it on my wrist.

It looks good on lorsban's wrist, fantastic, in fact, but on mine it looked to be about the size of a dime.

I went with the Explorer which was about $700 more, but worth it.
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 05:25 AM   #40
Ivy League
Banned

Watch: 116710LN
Technically speaking........is there any difference between an Airking and an Explorer?
Ivy League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 11:43 AM   #41
lorsban
"TRF" Member

I think the Explorer, No Date Sub and Air-King all use the same movement. The Explorer has a bigger case than the Air-King, matching the size of the Datejust series, which is 36mm vs. 34mm for the Air-King. The deployment clasp of the Air-King is an updated version and I understand is more secure than the one of the Explorer.
Old 5 October 2008, 03:25 AM   #42
365drills

Air King with a bit of bling

365drills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2008, 02:45 PM   #43
lorsban
"TRF" Member

What a beauty! I normally don't like diamonds on watch dials but it's so tastefully done on yours.

I think Rolex should add more options like this to the Air-King range. It's such a great platform to add options to.
Old 16 November 2008, 12:18 PM   #44
petespendthrift

Love that new AirKing with the silver dial. I thought Rolex had completely lost the plot but it seems they really got this one right. Of the new models the GMT-IIc is nearly right (just the polished links are not to my liking) but this silver dialled AirKing looks like it scores 10/10.

I hope this model sells well as it will encourage Rolex to get back to practical watches.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2008, 11:23 AM   #45
Lagom70116
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=lorsban;633136]Hmm...I never really gave it much thought but it seems ok to me. As long as there's a little light, you can tell the time. The silver dial is matte, while the hands are shinny so it contrasts pretty well with the dial. But, the white faced model would probably give you better visibility.

I had the same question. My AD has the steel face models, which look very nice under the store lighting, but I was curious how easy it is to read in daylight. (I do like the roman numerals.)

I was also considering the Date model. Same size, but provides the half-link adjustment to the bracelet. I also like the polished center link too.

I have time to decide, and enjoy reading others' experiences.
Lagom70116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2008, 02:53 AM   #46
alphamale2012
"TRF" Member

Are all the airkings the same size???
alphamale2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2008, 06:09 AM   #47
rolexjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 41
Hello to you all. This is my first post as I am the proud 1st time owner of a brand new Rolex. My wife surprised me with an Air King yesterday. It has the blue face with the orange numerals as the previous poster showed in his picture. I absolutely love it. I never thought the day would come that I would own a Rolex as I have always desired one. I am now semi-retired after selling my long standing business so I suppose she figures I "have arrived"!!

I plan to do much reading here to garner information and I am sure I will post some questions too.

Cheers.
rolexjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2008, 11:10 AM   #48
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale2012 View Post
Are all the airkings the same size???
Yup, AK's and Oyster Date's are all 34mm. Closest thing to an AK with a larger size is the Explorer I, which is the same size as the DJ: 36mm.
Old 14 December 2008, 11:14 AM   #49
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexjim View Post
Hello to you all. This is my first post as I am the proud 1st time owner of a brand new Rolex. My wife surprised me with an Air King yesterday. It has the blue face with the orange numerals as the previous poster showed in his picture. I absolutely love it. I never thought the day would come that I would own a Rolex as I have always desired one. I am now semi-retired after selling my long standing business so I suppose she figures I "have arrived"!!

I plan to do much reading here to garner information and I am sure I will post some questions too.

Cheers.
Yeah, that blue/orange combo looks real sharp! The Air-King itself is a great no-nonsense watch. It's minimalist, classic and the blue and orange scheme gives it an edge. Definitely an awesome present!
Old 14 December 2008, 01:25 PM   #50
rolexjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 41
I am certainly enjoying it. What I like the most are it's conservative looks. I never wanted a Rolex for others to admire, but for my own satisfaction. I doubt anyone will ever ask what kind of watch I am wearing based on it's looks, and that's fine with me.

Great forum here.
rolexjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 08:17 AM   #51
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
the AK is definitely under the radar. mine ocasionally attracts attention - i think that's because the fit and finish (904L has a sheen all it's own) naturally draws the eye of those attracted to quality - but i never get asked 'the question'. which suits me just fine.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2008, 10:24 AM   #52
werc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
the AK is definitely under the radar. mine ocasionally attracts attention - i think that's because the fit and finish (904L has a sheen all it's own) naturally draws the eye of those attracted to quality - but i never get asked 'the question'. which suits me just fine.
I agree, I'm looking to pick up an AK. Was at my local Tourneau and tried one on. Very understated, as to not draw a lot of attention as some of my other watches.
werc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2008, 12:17 AM   #53
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
Just to add, the AK looks really good in dim lighting, for some reason.
Old 23 March 2009, 10:40 AM   #54
tthopp05

Watch: THE MIGHTY DEEPSEA
Thats sharp
tthopp05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2009, 11:53 AM   #55
HRHaldermn

Watch: SS & Plat Yachty
I like what you have to say about the size and weight, which I think are often very overlooked characteristics. The Platinum Yachtmaster is absolutely gorgeous, but it's almost too heavy to be practical, especially when most of us mouse and keyboard during the day. it looks elegant and can be worn with jeans and T just as easily as a suit. But for those of you still shopping around, please take the weight into consideration, especially if it's something you'll be sensitive to.
HRHaldermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2009, 02:41 AM   #56
Tau44
"TRF" Member

air king 1963

i was researching the air king today on the internet and came about this website. it is great.. i was doing research on a 1963 SS Air King Rolex watch I have the chance to buy from an estate for $1000. I was trying to find some pics of this watch and info on it. I am suppose to go and look at it this weekend. I was trying to find out if it was a good deal or not. I have found quite a bit of information on late 60's and early 50's but not much on a 1963 model. Is it a good watch? Just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can before I go and look at it. This would be my first Rolex.

Thanks,

Tau
Tau44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2009, 01:24 PM   #57
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
nice review
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 11:04 PM   #58
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
An Air King thread! Great, there should be more of them.

I have been looking for a while and was lucky to find this one, 5501, on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I just love the simple classic lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airking.JPG (58.2 KB, 967 views)
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2009, 06:14 AM   #59
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Wow, a rare Air-King Thread. Nice write up.
Old 8 July 2009, 07:38 AM   #60
JoeACE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air King
I guess thats all what ak is about: the simple classic lines.:) Love it for that, so simple but still so complicated.. it's such a complex relationship.. hehe
JoeACE is offline   Reply With Quote