The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 January 2018, 12:45 AM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
I think you answered your own question. Busy dial - not so easily legible, and pales next to the mighty sub and gmt in popularity. I like them, but haven't bought one...
I agree
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 03:42 AM   #32
storm66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita70 View Post
I love vintage. Just wish my bank account agreed with me. If I had the money to have a vintage Rolex collection the 1655 would have a place. Till then I’ll make do with my 16760.
I love the ‘70’s retro look which is why I have a 1655 and a Tudor heritage chronograph ‘blue’........
I wonder if Tudor will do a re-issue similar to the 1655 like their heritage range

Also ,isn’t it about time the 16760 really took off,they seem totally undervalued compared to all the other GMT’s of the same era
What’s your views
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 03:53 AM   #33
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
I'm with swish, my feelings are the same towards the 1655. Instantly recognizable from a distance and only piece I get compliments on.

The details are truly something.. While I do think the minute track is confusing and harder to read, owning vintage isn't really about functionality is it? Do we really look at a vintage purchase from a functional standpoint or a beauty stand point?

For me its the beauty in the details. For years I looked at the 1655's and was always hard to find a pristine example. The orange arrow hand is wide and has a lot of real-estate for the tritium to cover, so 9 times out of 10 these hands are cracked due to miss handling or just age.. Personally seeing a huge crack on the orange hand is a big eye sore; much more so than on a regular set of Mercedes hands.

Prices really have sky rocketed as of late on many sports models.. I been following the market closely on 1655's.. I actually just asked a well know dealer this morning about his mint 1655 MK1 and he's asking 30k firm. Shear asking 22k for his mk2 as of a month ago, not sure if he still has it.

This is a huge chunk of change to throw down on a matte dialed piece. this is double red territory.

I honestly was always looking for a 1655 but wasn't pushing it. Eventually I was in the right place at the right time and found exactly what I was looking for. After I bought it and was able to spend some time looking it over for a few days, I began to "get it" even more, I began to appreciate all the busy dial details.

there is truly nothing quite like it. I think the 1655 is for the collector that truly is looking for something completely different in a non traditional sense.

as for the prices for quality pieces, I guess you really have to want one to justify spending that much (as with anything you want in life). Some details of mine below to share some of the beauty at 20x magnification.

In the end, pictures never do justice. Have to have it on your wrist.

SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 04:18 AM   #34
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Not a fan of the new 42mm Exp II.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 12:18 PM   #35
BristolCavendish
Banned

Nice 'lollipop' 1655 SubKing. Your Explorer II is immaculate.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 03:03 PM   #36
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Nice 'lollipop' 1655 SubKing. Your Explorer II is immaculate.
Thank you sir!
Old 28 January 2018, 03:55 PM   #37
T<25
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
1655 looks better in person than in pictures. I love the the steel bezel, the hour and min hands. Nothing wrong with the orange hand, but personally I wish it isn’t there. Overall it still uniquely cool though.
T<25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 07:58 PM   #38
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Ha, yes indeed. I was actually joking about cave exploration. I believe that was the Rolex marketing explanation at the time, which is silly, of course. That 24-hour hand, while fabulous looking, isn't all that helpful.
They should have called it the Cavedweller.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:14 AM   #39
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
They should have called it the Cavedweller.
I think calling it the Subterranean would have been cool, to tie it in with the Submariner.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:21 AM   #40
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Love the 1655

Do we think the Explorer II will ever get a ceramic upgrade?

I cant really see how they would do it (or rather my imagination cant picture it)
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:44 AM   #41
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Subking, what kind of strap is that on your 1655?
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 05:49 AM   #42
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Love the 1655

Do we think the Explorer II will ever get a ceramic upgrade?

I cant really see how they would do it (or rather my imagination cant picture it)
I hope not. It kinda defeats the purpose of a watch meant to be bashed around on rock and whatnot.
Old 29 January 2018, 06:37 AM   #43
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Subking, what kind of strap is that on your 1655?
it's Elephant that I had custom made by a small leather shop in Paris called ABP.

They have always been my go to for custom straps for years, especially exotic skins which are their specialty.
Old 29 January 2018, 09:07 AM   #44
BristolCavendish
Banned

Another Rare Bird/5513-Explorer Dial

Apparently this model was only available in 1964 and they have since gone up in value. It was roughly 69.00 UK pounds 'back in the day' but currently appraised at 197,000.00. I haven't the foggiest what this is in American dollars but the 69 pound figure looks reasonable enough while the 197,000 seems like a lot of pounds.

Rolex didn't make/issue too many of these Sub-Explorer models. As far as dial attractiveness is concerned, it's strictly in the eye of the beholder. Then again, at 197,000 UK pounds it probably becomes an attractive watch to anyone who owns one. The 3-6-9 dial configuration is unusual and of the two pictorial examples shown, the lower 5513/Explorer seems to have a different or replacement dial as the triangle at 12 + the markers are blunter (for lack of better wording/description).

Be interesting if any TRFers own one of these models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 5513 Explorer.jpg (142.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 5513 Explorer 2.jpg (103.1 KB, 83 views)
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:37 PM   #45
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apparently this model was only available in 1964 and they have since gone up in value. It was roughly 69.00 UK pounds 'back in the day' but currently appraised at 197,000.00. I haven't the foggiest what this is in American dollars but the 69 pound figure looks reasonable enough while the 197,000 seems like a lot of pounds.

Rolex didn't make/issue too many of these Sub-Explorer models. As far as dial attractiveness is concerned, it's strictly in the eye of the beholder. Then again, at 197,000 UK pounds it probably becomes an attractive watch to anyone who owns one. The 3-6-9 dial configuration is unusual and of the two pictorial examples shown, the lower 5513/Explorer seems to have a different or replacement dial as the triangle at 12 + the markers are blunter (for lack of better wording/description).

Be interesting if any TRFers own one of these models.
Phew, I'd have a hard time choosing just about any Sub ever made over that 5513/Explorer.
Old 3 February 2018, 05:33 AM   #46
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
For a watch that was specifically designed for cave exploration, you'd think that Rolex could have come up with at least one noteworthy speleologist (no matter how obscure in name recognition) to promote the 1655 in their National Geographic ads.

An example. Most folks had never heard of Red Adair until his appearance in the Rolex/National Geographic ads.

While 'big name' splelunkers are a rare breed, Bill Steele was pretty well established by the 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_S...(cave_explorer)

BTW. You have to click again on the (Do you mean: 'Bill Steele (cave explorer)?' reference in order to bring up his wikipedia profile.
Well, this guy was/is a pretty famous speleologist/explorer who wore his 1655 all the time and was featured in Rolex ads. I believe Rolex also gave a 1655 to Sir Edmund Hillary, although he famously wore a predecessor of the original Explorer when he first climbed Everest. And Italian climber Reinhold Messner also wore a 1655 and was used in Rolex ads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.20.33 PM.jpg (288.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.18.00 PM.jpg (289.8 KB, 42 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote