The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2024, 07:46 AM   #1
DougUSMC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
Just got "a call", not necessarily "the call"

I know this starts long, and that I've posted some/all of this in various other threads, but the backstory matters..

I recently started a relationship with an AD near me. I stopped in out of the blue, ostensibly to have another watch serviced. While there I told them I was looking for a new jeweler, as the last couple I worked with had closed/retired. I told them I wanted to talk about a couple of purchases, including a graduation watch for our oldest and a birthday gift for my wife.

I (think) I got on the list for a DJ28 for the wife "in time for July", and bought a Tudor BB 58 39 for our oldest. The SA was extremely helpful and we talked about my wanting a Rolex diver for myself. She helped me realize that the no date sub I was looking at might be a bit small on my wrist, and pointed me to the SD43 that I now I have my eye on. On the way out a pre-owned Glashutte caught my eye (why should I go without), so that was an impulse buy to replace my daily they're likely to have for 3-6 months to fix a stripped stem.

It was a great experience and she was very chatty. One of the things they mentioned was that the shop once had 2 locations, but they closed the other and the one I was in was closing the next day. They would be closed for a week or two, then reopening across the street in a much nicer, newly rebuilt location combining the two.

As someone who believes "relationships matter", I emailed her today. I thanked her for her time and help while shopping, wished her well with the move and re-opening, and let her know I was excited to see the new location once they opened.

She texted me 5 minutes later with an invite to their soft opening tomorrow 12-5. I thanked her for the invitation and let her know a time window I plan to stop by.

So, if you're me: how excited would you be? I don't want to jinx anything, but...

DougUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 08:17 AM   #2
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
She is a talented sales associate. She will go far.

As for you, she gets paid to pump you up. But there may be opportunities at the soft opening that aren’t normally available. You should be ready to buy what they’re selling.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 08:24 AM   #3
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
It sounds encouraging. If nothing more, it's face time.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 08:38 AM   #4
DougUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
She is a talented sales associate. She will go far.

As for you, she gets paid to pump you up. But there may be opportunities at the soft opening that aren’t normally available. You should be ready to buy what they’re selling.
You're more correct than you may have realized. I should have mentioned that she was the store manager of the location that was closed when the two merged. She has been with them 20+ years, and I believe (hope) she will still have a senior position in the new location.

I agree and hope there will be opportunities, and will definitely be ready. I'm crossing my fingers for something on my wish list, but will also be willing to entertain other options if I feel it will earn me some goodwill.
Old 1 March 2024, 08:47 AM   #5
KMalone
"TRF" Member

THIS is the way. I believe in relationships AND kissing a little @$$ along the way too!

Since August 2000, I have purchased the following watches new from an AD:

40mm Submariner
Pepsi on jubilee
31mm Tiffany blue OP for the wife
GMT Sprite
Starbucks Submariner

What waitlist? I had ZERO relationship with a jeweler prior to Aug 2000
KMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 08:55 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
You might get a Rolex magazine and some branded chocolates. Beware the champagne-fuelled bait and switch, as she already upsold you to an SD43. Stay focussed, relax and enjoy the event!
Old 1 March 2024, 09:00 AM   #7
OTX
"TRF" Member

I have a good feeling you might get a watch. If they don’t give you a watch, ask for the gas money back :-)
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 09:02 AM   #8
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Let's see a wrist shot of the Glashütte. It must be a nice piece to have purchased impulsively.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 09:12 PM   #9
DougUSMC

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll post what happened soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Let's see a wrist shot of the Glashütte. It must be a nice piece to have purchased impulsively.
I think it's a great piece, exactly what I was looking for in a new daily.

Old 1 March 2024, 10:21 PM   #10
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMalone View Post
THIS is the way. I believe in relationships AND kissing a little @$$ along the way too!

Since August 2000, I have purchased the following watches new from an AD:

40mm Submariner
Pepsi on jubilee
31mm Tiffany blue OP for the wife
GMT Sprite
Starbucks Submariner

What waitlist? I had ZERO relationship with a jeweler prior to Aug 2000
Mailman, is that you?
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 11:16 PM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Cool, you got invited to their soft opening. Definitely post some pics. Can't wait to see their new store. The old one was nice so I be the new one will be something else.

With you already having spent $ there I don't think you'll have any issues getting the DJ28 or SD. They may be able to simply order the DJ for you, and I suspect if you purchase that they won't make you wait long at all for the SD43.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 11:19 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nice OP, congratulations on the GO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 12:18 AM   #13
DougUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Cool, you got invited to their soft opening. Definitely post some pics. Can't wait to see their new store. The old one was nice so I be the new one will be something else.

With you already having spent $ there I don't think you'll have any issues getting the DJ28 or SD. They may be able to simply order the DJ for you, and I suspect if you purchase that they won't make you wait long at all for the SD43.
Definitely will do, I'm excited to see what the new store looks like.

I hope so. My primary goal is to make sure I'm "really, really on the list" for the DJ28 by July. If that's a given I'll see if there's any daylight with my also getting a SD43.

If they shy away from that, I've already prepped a wishlist of "other Rolex I wouldn't say no to if they're trying to move something".

"Just to make sure it's not a wasted trip" I've also put together a short list of IWC and Breitling I wouldn't mind looking at while I'm there...

Now, the tough question:
Is bringing a small "officewarming gift" too obvious??
Old 2 March 2024, 12:20 AM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Definitely will do, I'm excited to see what the new store looks like.

I hope so. My primary goal is to make sure I'm "really, really on the list" for the DJ28 by July. If that's a given I'll see if there's any daylight with my also getting a SD43.

If they shy away from that, I've already prepped a wishlist of "other Rolex I wouldn't say no to if they're trying to move something".

"Just to make sure it's not a wasted trip" I've also put together a short list of IWC and Breitling I wouldn't mind looking at while I'm there...

Now, the tough question:
Is bringing a small "officewarming gift" too obvious??
Make a point to ask them specifically if they can special order the DJ28. They used to be able to do this on all non-allocated references like ladies Dajejusts.
Old 2 March 2024, 01:05 AM   #15
DougUSMC

Quote:
Make a point to ask them specifically if they can special order the DJ28. They used to be able to do this on all non-allocated references like ladies Dajejusts.
We went through the specs on exactly what I wanted the last time I was in, and the SA said she'd pass it to "our Rolex person". She said "I don't think we'll have a problem getting this before July", but I'm really looking to find out what that means. Was it special ordered? Am I on the list? Did she just put the note in the back, waiting to see if I would follow up?
Old 2 March 2024, 01:20 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We went through the specs on exactly what I wanted the last time I was in, and the SA said she'd pass it to "our Rolex person". She said "I don't think we'll have a problem getting this before July", but I'm really looking to find out what that means. Was it special ordered? Am I on the list? Did she just put the note in the back, waiting to see if I would follow up?
They used to be able to order non allocated models (basically models that aren't in big demand) directly from their Rolex account manager, or whatever they are called. I ordered a gold DJ that way. Basically my SA just took the information on what I wanted, I had to pay for it when ordered, and a couple weeks later it was there. This was a couple years ago and I'm not sure if it's still this way. But at that time all ladies DJ could be ordered and no "list" involved.

When you go today just ask if you can pick it out, pay now, and have them order directly from Rolex for you. DJ28s do not require any sort of list. They are difficult watches for them to sell and should not require a wait.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:08 AM   #17
DougUSMC

Quote:
They used to be able to order non allocated models (basically models that aren't in big demand) directly from their Rolex account manager, or whatever they are called. I ordered a gold DJ that way. Basically my SA just took the information on what I wanted, I had to pay for it when ordered, and a couple weeks later it was there. This was a couple years ago and I'm not sure if it's still this way. But at that time all ladies DJ could be ordered and no "list" involved.

When you go today just ask if you can pick it out, pay now, and have them order directly from Rolex for you. DJ28s do not require any sort of list. They are difficult watches for them to sell and should not require a wait.
That's great info, I had no idea. I'll ask the SA and see what she says.
Old 2 March 2024, 02:14 AM   #18
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Just got "a call", not necessarily "the call"

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll post what happened soon!

I think it's a great piece, exactly what I was looking for in a new daily.

Very nice! I love this German manufacturer. Such attention to detail.
Congrats! Can’t wait to hear what happens.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 02:20 AM   #19
KatGirl

Quote:

The ability to prepay and do an “intent to purchase order” order is “on hold”, for now, according to my AD. It was in play, until very recently.

Kat

Old 2 March 2024, 02:25 AM   #20
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The ability to prepay and do an “intent to purchase order” order is “on hold”, for now, according to my AD. It was in play, until very recently.

Kat

Ahhh, ok. It's been a few years since I special ordered a Rolex and they were tightening the belt on those even back then. Right after I ordered my TT DJ41 they told me all DJ41s were now allocated. I thought maybe they still allowed it on ladies models.

Wonder if it's different based on which part of the country you are in or if it's all ADs affected?

Certainly worth an ask either way OP
Old 2 March 2024, 08:14 AM   #21
DougUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I was just told the same thing. I had a DJ28 ROI, but they couldn't take an order. They reiterated that they did not feel July would be a problem, and were happy to add a second ROI for a SD43.

I had a good visit, and the new location is very impressive. The new Rolex area is incredible - beautiful layout, multiple areas (main entrance, 2x display areas, seating area, VIP delivery area, Rolex in-house repair, etc). They had just about anything you could for exhibition, across all of the models. They had SS, PM, TT, etc. I was not offered anything I was looking for (primarily the SD43), but they told me they had some PM available if I were interested, which I politely declined.

I took a bunch of pictures, which doesn't do it justice. Keep in mind that this ins only what I could see from the front entrance, there are many areas of the store not visible from where I stood. They also would not allow me to walk into the Rolex area to take more pictures, so what you can see is only the "entrance area". It's a beautiful new location (Radcliffe Jewelers, MD, USA) and I can't recommend the team there enough.

Main Entrance:

Bridal area to the left:

Forward from the main Entrance:

Continuing to the right

My favorite part of the store
Old 2 March 2024, 08:43 AM   #22
favx
2024 Pledge Member

Weldone OP and congratulations.
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 09:36 AM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Wow huge store and looks really nice. It sounds like they will be able to accommodate your requests. That store looks like a much bigger version of their Christiana location. I need to get up there to check em out once they do a full grand opening.
Old 2 March 2024, 10:44 AM   #24
DougUSMC

Quote:
Wow huge store and looks really nice. It sounds like they will be able to accommodate your requests. That store looks like a much bigger version of their Christiana location. I need to get up there to check em out once they do a full grand opening.
Yeah, it's definitely enormous with a ton of options. It's also not completely "done" yet. If you look to the left of Breitling you can see the wall of the "store in a store" isn't done yet. I'd say there's still a 1/2 dz like that in there. JLC, IWC, and a few others aren't compete yet. Not only are the decors not complete, but the display cases are temporary. I think that reduced their ability to display all of their available options.

Rolex was definitely complete though, and very impressive.
Old 2 March 2024, 11:02 AM   #25
KatGirl

Nice recon work! Looks like a great store. My own AD is tiny compared to yours. Sounds like you will have your new watches by Summettime. Good luck!

Kat

Old 2 March 2024, 01:49 PM   #26
dawiyo
"TRF" Member

As I read your post, I was like this sounds like Radcliffe. I’ll actually be there tomorrow to buy my first Rolex since joining this forum in 2012.
dawiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 08:42 AM   #27
DougUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiyo View Post
As I read your post, I was like this sounds like Radcliffe. I’ll actually be there tomorrow to buy my first Rolex since joining this forum in 2012.
Very cool, see if you can get some more pics and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Make sure to post your Incoming thread when you get back!