The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 January 2024, 11:12 AM   #1
jvcooney
"TRF" Member

Icon20 First timer looking at 5500, but no Air King on dial

Hello and thanks in advance for some guidance. New member and first time searcher for birth year Rolex. Found one I love the look of and started researching. I understand that a ref 5500 is an Air King and thus should say Air King on the dial, except possibly for near 1967 timeframe(?) when perhaps there was an Explorer model that should have either Precision or Super Precision on bottom of dial. The watch I liked was advertised as “Mens Rolex Oyster Perpetual 5500 14k Gold SS Automatic 1960s Vintage” Something doesn’t add up to me, but I’m so new, I figured I’d ask the more knowledgeable folks. Can there be an Oyster Perpetual 5500 1967 that is not an Air King but doesn’t have the precision/super precision wording on the dial and still be legit? It shows Rolex on first line and Oyster Perpetual on second line on top of dial and Superlative Chronometer on the first line and Officially Certified on the second line of the bottom of the dial. I’m trying to add photos and am struggling but will keep at it. Many thanks! John
jvcooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 11:25 AM   #2
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Welcome John, Is this the watch per chance..?
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/men...id30853493.htm
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 11:31 AM   #3
jvcooney
"TRF" Member

Hi Paul! While it isn’t from that site, all the photos look the same as on the site I found it. And the description is the same, so I’m going to say yes. Thank you. John
Old 4 January 2024, 02:08 PM   #4
CTech
"TRF" Member

There are quite a few anomalies with the watch and it interesting that the seller has not shown the case engravings on either the Chrono24 listing TuRo posted or this ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27608600716...SABEgI79_D_BwE

I would start by asking the dealer for evidence that this is a 5500 case, such as photos of the case numbers, sales receipt, service documents, etc.

At some point, possibly around the mid-1960s, the bi-metallic Air Kings were model 5501 and I think the cases were engraved accordingly.

The movement looks like a 1520 and it has an autowind mechanism marked 1520/26 jewels. That might be a later addition to the original (17 jewel?) movement or it might be a later movement altogether.

This could be a 5500 watch that has had a dial swap or it could be an assembled watch made out of whatever parts the watchmaker could source for maximum return.

Whatever it runs out to be, having that dial on a watch with a 1520 movement is incorrect as they were never designed for COSC certification.

However, without further information it's all speculation and conjecture as to who did what and why.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 04:18 PM   #5
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Yeah, avoid that mess. Looks like a 5501 with a 1005 dial at the very best. If it is indeed a 5500 case and movement, the rest of the parts are from a 1005. Either way, avoid it.
Old 5 January 2024, 07:51 AM   #6
jvcooney
"TRF" Member

Thank you both for your insights and counsel. I so very much appreciate it and you. I want this first one to be beyond question, which may be unrealistic , but I definitely think my spidey sense was tingling enough to get help on this one. Have a great day and hope to learn more from these forums. Learning so much already!
Old 6 February 2024, 10:44 PM   #7
charbzzz26
"TRF" Member

Guys! I have the same watch and it shows 5500 on the case, clearly marked and has all the same features as John Mentioned above... Sooooo what's the deal with this watch? i bought it a while back for my wife from a friend and had no papers or anything to identify the model until i removed the bracelet. still not sure when it was made or w/e ..... Help!
charbzzz26 is offline   Reply With Quote