The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2022, 07:02 AM   #31
Willows
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, Sub, Airking
Sincere condolences. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings with the forum.
Willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 10:19 AM   #32
AlabamaLawyer1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I’m very sorry to hear about your loss and you have my sincere condolences.

DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2022, 10:38 AM   #33
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I am so sorry to hear of your loss Paul. I do understand what you’re feeling right now as I lost my younger brother and my mother within the past 10 months.

You have written about your mother often on this forum and it was quite easy to see the bond that you shared with each other. If it brings any comfort, you must know how much she loved you and how proud she was of the person you became.
God Bless
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 04:37 PM   #34
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
My mother passed very peacefully about a month and a half ago. It was in her living room, with her dog at her side, music playing, water fountain she enjoyed hearing running, wind chimes chiming, and me holding her hand. My father died when I was young, and my stepfather passed about five years ago. I am an only child so my mother and I were very very close. It was… I don’t think there are words, but a lot of you understand. Now.. I am finishing up getting the condo in order, her affairs, and getting prepared for her funeral, November 5th. I am progressing, it sucks, but I am getting though it. I know a lot of you have already experienced this and understand exactly what I am experiencing. I have learned a lot from this, I thought I would pass on a few notes in case anyone else is going through this. Losing a parent or a loved one is a part of life, one that sucks, but a part. The biggest thing I can say is you will get through it, your loved one wants you to.

What I have learned:

1. It is OK NOT to feel OK. If you are having a bad day, not with it or just down after losing a loved one, that IS OK. There is no script to any of this, but it is a stressful time and if you are having a difficult/emotional day, that is part of being human.

2. YOU grieve how YOU feel. Grieving is the most individual of human processes. DON’T let anyone else tell you what you SHOULD be doing, or how to feel better. If you want advice, by all means, ask, follow or not as you see fit, but however YOU grieve is the right way.

3. You are NOT diminishing memories or hurting your passed loved one by getting rid of items and pictures from the past. I had family members, neighbors and friends, all well-intentioned, telling me: “Oh you don’t want to get rid of this…” Items are items. Choose the ones that YOU want to keep, you are not being disrespectful or unloving/caring to your loved one by getting rid of physical items.

4. TREAT YOURSELF WELL. Physically and emotionally harming yourself (not getting enough sleep, not allowing yourself to grieve, not eating etc) is NOT going to bring your loved one back. You have to know your loved one would want you to be taking good care of yourself, abide by their wishes.

5. ASK FOR HELP when you need it. There are some wonderful members here on TRF, some I have never met in person but have enjoyed being in contact and would be honored if they would consider me a friend. When I entered the condo after my mother passed for the first time and there was no mother, no dog, completely quiet, I was having a very very difficult time. I texted a TRF member and he called me. We talked about other TRF members, (made fun of some of you guys ), watches, the weather, and when I wanted to; my mother. Your friends are there for you. When they offer to listen, and it will help, take them up on it.

6. Finally, for me, one of the most difficult times was going through their stuff, you will find so many pictures, items, etc. That trigger memories. Be prepared, it is not going to be easy, but remember point #1 if you feel upset. I was going through her picture albums when I came upon the pic below. I was 2 1/2, and I remember that day; we traveled to a an outdoor church, I was praying with my mother. It will be displayed at her funeral and is a wonderful memory for me.

Thanks to all the TRFers that offered and did help me through this difficult time
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Your post is so spot on, and well written. You hit so many important points. The last one - "going through their stuff" - reminded me of going through my parents' things after they died. (I posted previously about how they died a little over a month apart.) I came across a box in which they kept every card, every note, and every letter they ever sent to each other. They met in 1945, married in 1947, and died in 1970, so there were a lot of cards, notes, and letters. It was so very difficult for me to get rid of them, but I had to realize that these things meant something to THEM. That they were items for THEM to cherish, not me.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 04:53 PM   #35
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Yep grief sucks, but to grieve you must love and that is what you did. Stay strong.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 09:41 PM   #36
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Just saw this.. sincere condolences Paul
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 06:34 PM   #37
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
My mom died 3yrs ago today, with me by her side, at 4:17am. Every year, I am by her side again, on this day, at 4:17am. You never get over their loss. All you can do is grieve in your own way, accept it, and move on. I wish you all the luck and happiness in the world.

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 12:48 PM   #38
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
So sorry for your loss, Paul. My sincere condolences.

My husband lost his father and stepfather more than five years ago, and I lost my mother two years ago.

We lost a very close family friend about 2 weeks ago. His wife said she’s not ready for a memorial service, and probably won’t be for months. Everyone grieves differently.

It can be very, very tough, even with elderly parents. It isn’t often said how much that can really affect us.

Your points are all spot-on.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:21 AM   #39
colpol
"TRF" Member

Great photo

I’ll say a prayer for your mum on the 5th
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 03:55 AM   #40
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry for your loss. We too have experienced significant family losses recently.
I can't stress enough how important your items 1 and 2 are. Spot on.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 05:35 AM   #41
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Lost my wife last month and #2 is my key.. Folks telling me how I should feel and what I need to be doing... Sleep, good whisky and cigar has helped tremendously!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 06:41 AM   #42
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

So sorry for your loss Paul.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 08:09 PM   #43
Calborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytonas
oh man, I dread this day...

My most sincere condolences... thanks for sharing your wisdom..
Calborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 12:26 AM   #44
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
My condolences Paul, as you know and have already stated it is very difficult and you will get through this.

All the very best!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 03:49 AM   #45
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I’m very sorry to hear this my very best friend. My condolenses and stay strong.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 12:14 PM   #46
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Dear Paul:

Sending sincere condolences to you in the loss of your Mother.

Sincerely, DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote