The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2022, 04:35 AM   #61
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I don't think anyone should ever buy a car with the premise it will go up in value. Especially more so than an alternative investment such as equities.

Car guys will tell you the 2005 Ford GT is a crazy example but it really is not. The car was 160k with tax. That's 264k in today's dollars. I saw one for sale for 425k. Presuming you could unload it for that much without the use of a broker it sounds great. The reality is that 160k in the market in 2005 is now over 700k. Add in insurance and maintenance the difference is probably close to 400k.

I think the premise of car ownership should be enjoyment and / or utilization.

The FOMO mentality never works out. You have to step outside the community of people who are into high end super cars to get a clear view.

Now I'm not saying you can't enjoy and own a super car but trends can change. Especially price trends.

Right now rolex Patek and ap price trends have changed. Some deny it. Will be clear eventually and that is when smart buyers will resume.
Good points. In the commodity markets, they would call that cost of carry. Often overlooked with autos.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 07:30 AM   #62
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Good points. In the commodity markets, they would call that cost of carry. Often overlooked with autos.
Well, let’s not forget my FA’s fees though.

So while I get the point, I don’t think this is too different.

But it appears the market has already softened enough that it helps me solidify my decision.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 07:37 AM   #63
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Well, let’s not forget my FA’s fees though.

So while I get the point, I don’t think this is too different.

But it appears the market has already softened enough that it helps me solidify my decision.

Does that mean you’re keeping her!!?? Or, you can send her to FL (my house) for a month and see how you feel without her before making hasty decisions. Lol, just spitballing ideas here brotha.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 08:01 AM   #64
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Does that mean you’re keeping her!!?? Or, you can send her to FL (my house) for a month and see how you feel without her before making hasty decisions. Lol, just spitballing ideas here brotha.

Lmao. Love where your head is at.

Truth is, I think I was keeping her all along. I just didn’t know it. And needed to talk it out. Which is my way.

While I get all the comments, I really really get them, I think this car is simply too special. I like owning it. So very much.

Old 26 August 2022, 08:24 AM   #65
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
What would you do?

Quote:

Truth is, I think I was keeping her all along. I just didn’t know it. And needed to talk it out. Which is my way.

While I get all the comments, I really really get them, I think this car is simply too special. I like owning it. So very much.

Lol, great news my man!! Especially because my intuition was right. When you do start thinking of getting rid of her my offer still stands.

I’ve wanted a LP640 roadster manual for years. Turned one down for 150 about 8 yrs ago from my local lambo dealer. I feel like an idiot now because they’ve gone so crazy, I can’t justify the new price point for a good example.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 10:12 AM   #66
fistwatches
Banned

It’s a beautiful car! My stance on it is that it’s your car, you sound like you like it and enjoy it fairly well. That being said, again it’s yours and you like it so definitely do not sell until you’ve lost that spark with it. The spec it is and all I don’t think you’ll really loose.
fistwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 10:15 AM   #67
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

i think it's the logical choice. i feel like the worst case is you drive it for a year and sell it for no loss/slight profit and that's a good worst case for something that will bring you a lot of joy
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 11:17 AM   #68
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

I don’t have an opinion on whether you should or shouldn’t but I do know you’re never going to keep it.

It’s just a car, just like they’re just watches. Toys that come and go like acquaintances throughout our lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 11:28 AM   #69
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
I don’t have an opinion on whether you should or shouldn’t but I do know you’re never going to keep it.

It’s just a car, just like they’re just watches. Toys that come and go like acquaintances throughout our lives.

Sadly, I do agree with this statement.

Nothing in my life is permanent. For better or worse.

Old 26 August 2022, 11:35 AM   #70
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Sadly, I do agree with this statement.

Nothing in my life is permanent. For better or worse.
What the O/U on the sale? Eight months?
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 07:15 PM   #71
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

If it was a painting that you thought was really beautiful, and you really, really loved.......would you sell it, if you didn't need to?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 09:17 PM   #72
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
If it was a painting that you thought was really beautiful, and you really, really loved.......would you sell it, if you didn't need to?
Good point. I likely would not.

And while I know myself well, and must admit, the future of this car is uncertain, for now, I’m going to hold on and simply enjoy it.

Great thread all.

My thanks to everyone that chimed in.

Old 27 August 2022, 12:34 AM   #73
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good point. I likely would not.

And while I know myself well, and must admit, the future of this car is uncertain, for now, I’m going to hold on and simply enjoy it.

Great thread all.

My thanks to everyone that chimed in.

When you've finished enjoying driving it, you could have it mounted over a fireplace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th-4111683398.jpeg (22.9 KB, 124 views)
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 12:19 PM   #74
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
That’s a beautiful machine, irreplaceable.

I still have my E46 M3, not an Uber car like the Lambo, but pretty cool. Still in perfect condition, runs like new, great everyday wheels, a true manual, no paddles. Not bad for 18 years old.
Old 27 August 2022, 01:05 PM   #75
Rybour
"TRF" Member

Few more years worth a few more 😎
Rybour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 07:18 PM   #76
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
First off what a car! Don’t even think about it. Keep loving that bad boy brother.
This is why you work so hard - so enjoy the fruit of that labor! My guess is every time you park it you turn around to give it a second or maybe even third look. You only live once and you are living!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 07:36 PM   #77
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
First off what a car! Don’t even think about it. Keep loving that bad boy brother.
This is why you work so hard - so enjoy the fruit of that labor! My guess is every time you park it you turn around to give it a second or maybe even third look. You only live once and you are living!
Brother man. Took it out last night. And oh boy. Drives as good as it looks. It’s just so mouth fun.

Thinking I’ll keep living it up for sure!!

Old 27 August 2022, 09:30 PM   #78
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you are familiar with the car world, it’s similar to the watch world.

Things were way way inflated. Some cars, like some watches, if they are limited enough are still going for big money over.

I admit, when I got this Ultimae, I definitely entertained selling it. Heck, I told a broker if he gets me the right number, I’d do it. But I’m about to increase that number.

I’ve never been in a car like this before. Yes, I’ve had some cool cars. 458, 720, DBS etc. Even the Turbo S is borderline Supercar performance.

None of these even compare with the Ultimae. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the 911 in almost every way. But those are individual preferences based on my own personality.

Truth is, this lambo is mind blowing. Never have I felt so grounded and planted. Never have I felt this giddy power. Words just can’t do it justice.

So now, I really don’t want to sell it. I could wipe out nearly all my dumb mistakes in one sale. But, I’m thinking selling might be another dumb mistake. Whether I’m in a stock, or this car, I’m not sure the investment aspect is too different.

Sure, there are carrying costs for the car. But not terrible. And I do pay a fee to my FA. And my guess is that I’ll have as good a chance of this car doubling in value as I would any given blue chip stock. Likely, my chances are better. Last NA V12 lambo ever. Last of the Aventador line. 1 of 250 made. Only about 1/3 of them in the states.

And this spec is just super classy. Hard to part with it. Think I’ll be keeping it for the time being.

Curious though, for you car guys, and you non car guys, what would you do?

Sell for the quick buck. Or keep in hopes of purse enjoyment along with it also being a good short term or long term investment.

(Please don’t tell me that cars should not be an investment. If you know even a little about me, you know I love and drive my cars. Hard. This is simply a very different opportunity).

Btw, not my house. That’s a buddies and his STO.

My man this car is no comparison to a 911. Why did you buy if you didn’t want to keep? Sounds like you actually didn’t want it long term from the jump. Have you changed your mind now or not? That’s really the bottom line. I say this as an owner.
gliazzurri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 10:03 PM   #79
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Money on the bank never made me smile. I’d keep this beautiful car and drive it with a huge grin on my face.
Old 27 August 2022, 10:17 PM   #80
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
My man this car is no comparison to a 911. Why did you buy if you didn’t want to keep? Sounds like you actually didn’t want it long term from the jump. Have you changed your mind now or not? That’s really the bottom line. I say this as an owner.
You have an ultimae? Please post pics. Would love to see your spec.

I actually had to reread my post as I thought I was pretty clear. But I can add some color.

I ordered this car nearly a year ago. When I ordered it, I had zero intentions of moving it.

Over that time frame, I split with my wife. Had a prenup but gave her a 1/3 anyway. Then the markets tanked. Lost 20%.

None of this changes my life, in regard finances and how I live it. But it sure as heck changes my thoughts on fun money.

Anyway, I’m not a flipper or cars or watches in the traditional sense. Meaning, I don’t buy to sell. And I never, if very rarely, make money. But I move through cars and watches pretty fast. I get bored. I move on. I use the value of one to pay for the next.

Only car I’ll never sell is my Turbo S. Best all around car I’ve ever had. By far. But as you can see from my OP. I literally say, nothing I have driven compares to this lambo. Preference is subjective.

So, when I got it, given what the markets were I certainly did entertain the idea of making a quick buck. Fist time for everything I suppose.

But after having for a few weeks and driving it a few hundred miles, I’m pretty sure I’ll keep it. It’s just that good.

Problem now is, it’s not likely going to sit. Which was my original plan. I’m pretty sure I’ll put some serious miles on it.

You never can tell though with me. Everyday I get new information. And new info means new decisions are being made.

Time will tell. But for now, I see this car sticking around for at least a few years.

Old 27 August 2022, 10:41 PM   #81
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Don't get too hung up on the miles....the difference in money is not as bad as you would expect. For example, when I had the 2012 Mercedes SLS, drove it for about 4 years and accumulated 28,000KM. I drove it and loved it. In the end, when I sold it if I had say under 10k, the dealer said I would have squeezed another $15,000.
Then I had the 15 458 Italia, drove that for four years, and sold it with almost the same 28,000km. For a Ferrari, the dealer thought there was an error on the odometer as the cars condition was pristine, with the full PPF etc. I drive my cars, but am super anal in keeping them clean. Anyway, the Ferrari dealer nearly crapped himself when I told him there was no error in the odometer reading, that it's real mileage. In the end, the dealer said I would have gotten about $30,000 more if it were lower.
The moral for me is that life depreciates with every breath I take, every step I make, and every sleep is one less in life. So whatever hit you take in the depreciation on money on the car is just a little more meaningless to me. Seth, my man, enjoy this car!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 10:48 PM   #82
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Don't get too hung up on the miles....the difference in money is not as bad as you would expect. For example, when I had the 2012 Mercedes SLS, drove it for about 4 years and accumulated 28,000KM. I drove it and loved it. In the end, when I sold it if I had say under 10k, the dealer said I would have squeezed another $15,000.
Then I had the 15 458 Italia, drove that for four years, and sold it with almost the same 28,000km. For a Ferrari, the dealer thought there was an error on the odometer as the cars condition was pristine, with the full PPF etc. I drive my cars, but am super anal in keeping them clean. Anyway, the Ferrari dealer nearly crapped himself when I told him there was no error in the odometer reading, that it's real mileage. In the end, the dealer said I would have gotten about $30,000 more if it were lower.
The moral for me is that life depreciates with every breath I take, every step I make, and every sleep is one less in life. So whatever hit you take in the depreciation on money on the car is just a little more meaningless to me. Seth, my man, enjoy this car!
Great point brother. Really great point. Right now, that’s the plan.

Crazy driving a car like this. Absolutely crazy.

Have 18k on the 911 right now. Just over a year. This won’t get the same treatment. But I’ll get a lot of use out if it.

Thought I’d feel super stressed driving something at this price point. But after a few runs, I’m feeling pretty good in it. I still can’t get over how crazy it drives.

Old 27 August 2022, 10:59 PM   #83
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
No problem Seth, I am the voice of reasonings. And my plan has not changed with my current 812SF, a car that is fetching huge money and since buying it last year I have managed to put about 10k. And love every minute of it.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 11:20 PM   #84
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
No problem Seth, I am the voice of reasonings. And my plan has not changed with my current 812SF, a car that is fetching huge money and since buying it last year I have managed to put about 10k. And love every minute of it.

Gosh I love that thing.

And you really do always seem to pick the right cars. Every time. It’s impressive.

Old 28 August 2022, 08:40 PM   #85
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You have an ultimae? Please post pics. Would love to see your spec.

I actually had to reread my post as I thought I was pretty clear. But I can add some color.

I ordered this car nearly a year ago. When I ordered it, I had zero intentions of moving it.

Over that time frame, I split with my wife. Had a prenup but gave her a 1/3 anyway. Then the markets tanked. Lost 20%.

None of this changes my life, in regard finances and how I live it. But it sure as heck changes my thoughts on fun money.

Anyway, I’m not a flipper or cars or watches in the traditional sense. Meaning, I don’t buy to sell. And I never, if very rarely, make money. But I move through cars and watches pretty fast. I get bored. I move on. I use the value of one to pay for the next.

Only car I’ll never sell is my Turbo S. Best all around car I’ve ever had. By far. But as you can see from my OP. I literally say, nothing I have driven compares to this lambo. Preference is subjective.

So, when I got it, given what the markets were I certainly did entertain the idea of making a quick buck. Fist time for everything I suppose.

But after having for a few weeks and driving it a few hundred miles, I’m pretty sure I’ll keep it. It’s just that good.

Problem now is, it’s not likely going to sit. Which was my original plan. I’m pretty sure I’ll put some serious miles on it.

You never can tell though with me. Everyday I get new information. And new info means new decisions are being made.

Time will tell. But for now, I see this car sticking around for at least a few years.

I have the same car just prior iteration. Had since 2019 when bought new. Effectively same. Either way they are identical in cache and overall experience.
I just wasn’t sure from your post if your intention was to buy to drive or buy to get out of it.
Old 28 August 2022, 09:32 PM   #86
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear you are keeping it for now.

My thought when first reading the thread is keep it until the next car that tickles your fancy comes around. Then you unload the car. With the way the economy might be heading, it will be a bit tricky to time the market.

Not sure how it works in the Lambo world, but how long do you have to keep it before they consider not being a quick flip? Do you have to trade it back in to them? You never know, they might have a classic Lambo show up that you might want. Or use this car as leverage to have them look for one that you want.

Personally, I always have these head vs heart discussion in my head when spending bigs bucks buying toys. At the end of the day, we do whatever mental gymnastics to justify our decision. There really is no right or wrong decision. Things just happen. And it is only money if you did miss the peak. I always say you can't take it with you when you are gone. Might as well enjoy the experience.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 09:34 PM   #87
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have the same car just prior iteration. Had since 2019 when bought new. Effectively same. Either way they are identical in cache and overall experience.
I just wasn’t sure from your post if your intention was to buy to drive or buy to get out of it.
That’s not the same at all.

That’s like saying a GTR and a Black Series are the same.

And now you know. Glad I could clear it up for you.

Old 28 August 2022, 09:38 PM   #88
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

What would you do?

Quote:
That’s not the same at all.

That’s like saying a GTR and a Black Series are the same.

And now you know. Glad I could clear it up for you.

Not sure I get your drift my friend. Mind helping me out? No need for any hostilities here. No those cars are not the same that you described.
Old 28 August 2022, 09:41 PM   #89
HMHM
"TRF" Member

First of all, congratulations! The Ultimae is a special car. If you want to sell, wait till Lamborghini releases the new replacement with the hybrid engine which is bound to be disappointing compared to the Aventador. There’s a high chance your car will go up further in value being the last NA V12 from Lamborghini with all the emission BS. And it’s a roadster which is even rarer!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 09:49 PM   #90
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not sure I get your drift my friend. Mind helping me out? No need for any hostilities here.
I admit, I might need you to clear it up for me.

You said you didn’t know what my intentions were. I cleared that up for you.

And you compared a 2019 Aventador, with the last one ever. The last series. One of 250 manufactured. And one that has similar models listed for sale at nearly double MSRP.

I pointed out how, given the point of the thread, it’s not an appropriate comparison.

Nothing hostile here, friend. Quite literally just responding to you.