The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 February 2020, 02:26 AM   #1
melkyor2701
"TRF" Member

Advice on authenticity please

There's a guy on my local forum who wants to sell a Daytona 116500 LN with warranty card dated 2018, box and papers with original receipt for £12500.

Sounds to good to be true.
He wants to meet face to face for a cash transaction.

How can I be sure it's genuine, not a scam.
Meeting him at a local AD and asking the AD to check if genuine should do the trick?
melkyor2701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:33 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkyor2701 View Post
There's a guy on my local forum who wants to sell a Daytona 116500 LN with warranty card dated 2018, box and papers with original receipt for £12500.

Meeting him at a local AD and asking the AD to check if genuine should do the trick?
Well you could try that if the AD will accommodate you.

Personally it sounds like a setup/scam so I would pass
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:36 AM   #3
melkyor2701
"TRF" Member

Do you think any AD have the "tools" to check if the watch is 100% genuine or can they be fooled too?
Old 28 February 2020, 03:01 AM   #4
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Why not meet him at the Rolex Service Centre in London? They can do an authentication right there.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:24 AM   #5
melkyor2701
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Why not meet him at the Rolex Service Centre in London? They can do an authentication right there.
There is no in London, only Head Office
Old 28 February 2020, 03:48 AM   #6
S``
"TRF" Member

If it's too good to be true....

How hard is it for a person on the internet, to open the internet and check for market prices...

Sure, you might have the occasional steal once in a while.... But a forum is internet based isn't it... Yet this person cant be bothered going online to check on the value of his goods? Too hard to believe...

Good luck OP. You can buy those genuine accessories on Ebay... It doesn't prove any provenance until the watch is vetted for.
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:55 AM   #7
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
There is no in London, only Head Office
https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/.../london/london
Old 28 February 2020, 04:01 AM   #8
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you think any AD have the "tools" to check if the watch is 100% genuine or can they be fooled too?
ADs with official service centers will have all necessary equipment
Old 28 February 2020, 04:53 AM   #9
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

That watch is selling for double the asking price at greys. You could sell a full-set D500 to Watchfinder for £15000 bare minimum for absolutely zero hassle. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that any sane, honest human being would sell it privately for such a low amount whilst accepting the attendant risks associated with meeting a stranger.

So if you go through with this you’re either having a face to face with a mentalist or you’re going to get scammed - quite likely by being robbed.

Run away, fast.
Old 28 February 2020, 06:30 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
The old saying "If it sounds too good to be true . . ."

PASS. Or don't but be sure to tell us the outcome.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:19 AM   #11
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Run away, fast.

This dude is right.

But if you do move forward, call me, as I have some oceanfront property in Nottinghamshire that I’d like to sell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 08:50 PM   #12
melkyor2701
"TRF" Member

I understand the concerns and you guys are right, it's really written SCAM all over in capital letter.
However, if I manage to drag the seller to a Rolex Service Centre and they confirm it's all genuine, I might have found the deal of the year!
He told me that he is now on business trip and will contact me when he is back. Something is telling me that he won't...I'm asking him too many questions...
Old 29 February 2020, 01:32 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i understand the concerns and you guys are right, it's really written scam all over in capital letter.
However, if i manage to drag the seller to a rolex service centre and they confirm it's all genuine, i might have found the deal of the year!
he told me that he is now on business trip and will contact me when he is back. Something is telling me that he won't...i'm asking him too many questions...
dream on!
Old 29 February 2020, 06:51 AM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
I understand the concerns and you guys are right, it's really written SCAM all over in capital letter.
However, if I manage to drag the seller to a Rolex Service Centre and they confirm it's all genuine, I might have found the deal of the year!
He told me that he is now on business trip and will contact me when he is back. Something is telling me that he won't...I'm asking him too many questions...

We have all been through the “oh my gosh, I have found the deal of the century! Amazing that no one has found this yet! I’m so lucky lucky Do you have stumbled upon this so early in this hobby for me! It’s amazing the seller doesn’t know what he has!” phase of this hobby / passion.

Next thing you know, you’ve spent a ton of time chasing a fart in the wind (or, in the rare and worst case scenario, facedown in a ditch with your money gone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 07:17 AM   #15
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:

Hi, id tread very Very carefully, prior to having it authenticated consider contacting the watch register (1, 63-66 Hatton Garden, Holborn, London EC1N 8LE Phone: 020 7841 5781)you will need the serial number, if its a genuine sale then the seller should not have a problem, from there on have it authenticated by the RSC London as already suggested. hope this helps and good luck.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 11:49 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The seller appears to be hedging, now that you look serious. He's just done you a favour. How much more evidence do you want? You know this is some kind of scam really, don't you?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 02:14 AM   #17
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Hmmm, watch out. If you decide to go ahead with RSC, I think your only option is Kent as the st James branch is temporarily closed. All the signs are telling you to run away ..... :)
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 06:46 PM   #18
melkyor2701
"TRF" Member

Thank you everybody for your sound advices! I realised how naive I could have been. Lesson learnt hopefully.
Just to let you know that the seller "disappeared" and remove his listing. Hopefully nobody has been scammed.

Just to be clear, if I want to buy a Rolex not available in any AD, the best and safest places are the the big online store such as Watchmaster, Chrono24...etc...? Or in here?
Old 12 March 2020, 09:18 PM   #19
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Scam....don’t be an idiot....you could sell it to a blind man for that price if it was real....your not special
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 09:42 PM   #20
usling15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you everybody for your sound advices! I realised how naive I could have been. Lesson learnt hopefully.
Just to let you know that the seller "disappeared" and remove his listing. Hopefully nobody has been scammed.

Just to be clear, if I want to buy a Rolex not available in any AD, the best and safest places are the the big online store such as Watchmaster, Chrono24...etc...? Or in here?
Perhaps you should realize the limits of your Rolex knowledge & buy GRAY. Realize there are no deals out there, & you’re going to have to pay the going rate if you want a Rolex.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 10:44 PM   #21
melkyor2701
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usling15 View Post
Perhaps you should realize the limits of your Rolex knowledge & buy GRAY. Realize there are no deals out there, & you’re going to have to pay the going rate if you want a Rolex.
I agree and this is why I asked if the safest place for a second hand are the big online stores such as Watchmaster, Chrono24...etc...

I only own one datejust bought at my local AD so I really am not an expert!
Old 13 March 2020, 03:54 PM   #22
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Lucky man, dodged a bullet!
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote