The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 June 2020, 11:53 PM   #1
Muhle
"TRF" Member

Hublot Classic fusion Chronograph

Hello,

I’m tempted by a Hublot Classic fusion chronograph in blue as It doesn’t look like il be getting my call from the AD for a GMT anytime soon.

Different watches I know but the Classic fusion is the only Hublot I like, most are vile. I’m getting a 10% discount which makes me think I shouldn’t loose too much money. I’m just a bit reluctant to ‘throw money away’ does anyone know what their value retention is like? I can’t really take chrono24 and eBay for gospel at the moment due to the pandemic changing prices.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 11:53 PM   #2
Muhle
"TRF" Member

Old 25 June 2020, 12:45 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
If you like it, that’s all that matters. Hublot is not popular on this board. I doubt it retains value well, most watches do not. I just find most Hublots to be derivative of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. No innovation points there.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 12:50 AM   #4
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhle View Post

Looks good on your wrist. Usually Hublot don't do well on the secondary market, basically because their street price is quite high; however, their build quality and attention to details is second to none IMHO.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 02:07 AM   #5
Muhle
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I agree if I like it that’s all that matters. A strong second for me is it being able to retain value or not dropping value massively otherwise it’s money down the drain

Old 25 June 2020, 02:17 AM   #6
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
you should be able to 25-35% discount.
Old 25 June 2020, 06:20 AM   #7
Muhle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
you should be able to 25-35% discount.

The hublot store would only give me a maximum of 4%, Watches of Switzerland 5% that’s all they will offer so I was happy with 10%

Old 1 July 2020, 02:45 PM   #8
stevec0
"TRF" Member

I bought my classic fusion chrono titanium earlier this year and got 25% off from AD. Better off buying from AD than hublot boutique

stevec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 01:36 AM   #9
Muhle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec0 View Post
I bought my classic fusion chrono titanium earlier this year and got 25% off from AD. Better off buying from AD than hublot boutique

Which AD was this? Thanks

Old 3 July 2020, 11:15 PM   #10
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I dont think I can post the link here, but a quick search on the 'net came up with a 31% disc

msg me for more info
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 01:39 AM   #11
Muhle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
I dont think I can post the link here, but a quick search on the 'net came up with a 31% disc

msg me for more info

I’m based in the UK, was that a Discount available in the UK?

Old 13 July 2020, 08:53 PM   #12
DNX
"TRF" Member

OP i too am looking at a hublot - how are you getting on with yours - did you get the 38, 42, or 45mm - i am looking at a slightly different model - the classic fusion titanium - where did you end up buying it from and any other thoughts during the purchase and after you can share?
DNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:17 AM   #13
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

I got 18% discount off a LE Hublot. That was my offer and AD said yes right away so I probably could have got a few more percentages off.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:27 AM   #14
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I like a lot from the Hublot catalogue. There’s some LE I’m not particularly fond of but overall I like the brand and think it gets an unfair reputation. Wonderful talks from Jean Claude Biver floating around the web/YouTube, definitely, worth watching. Fantastic insight on the brand and watches in general.

That said:
1) I would go used here if possible
2) if you find one particular watch from ANY brand attractive and most everything else from their catalogue you find vile, you just may not appreciate the watch in question for the long run.

Just my thoughts. And I also think the fusion looks awesome on you!
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:44 AM   #15
Muhle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNX View Post
OP i too am looking at a hublot - how are you getting on with yours - did you get the 38, 42, or 45mm - i am looking at a slightly different model - the classic fusion titanium - where did you end up buying it from and any other thoughts during the purchase and after you can share?

Hello, I haven’t purchased yet I am collecting it on Saturday! Where are you based? I have gone for the 42mm as I think that looks most suited to my wrist. Its a similar size to my 116610LN submariner.

Old 14 July 2020, 01:34 PM   #16
prostmalone07
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot Aerofusion
Hublot's are striking and leave a lasting impression. I've got a Hublot Classic Fusion Aerofusion with titanium bracelet available.
prostmalone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 01:53 AM   #17
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Hublot get an unfair bashing because of the similarities to AP and RM. For me they are just fantastic pieces of art.

JCB (my watch idol - I hang off his every word) has been asked specifically about this likeness and answers the question perfectly, referencing Patek copying AP in the early days of the RO. Basically they are ahead of their time and they will be appreciated more as times goes by.

Most innovations are not truly appreciated at the time of conception. Regrettably Jean Claude Biver is in bad health, I do wish him a healthy recovery. However, when he passes the brand will likely see a resurgence and some of the pieces that WIS community hate will likely become collectibles.

I have a Hublot on my grail list and would pick one up ahead of most 'hot' pieces. Moreover, I owe it to my man JCB to be in the Hublot club. Living legend.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 09:07 PM   #18
slawa
"TRF" Member

there is nothing wrong with Hublot, hire is mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_20191207_120335.jpg (151.9 KB, 432 views)
slawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:16 AM   #19
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawa View Post
there is nothing wrong with Hublot, hire is mine
Nothing wrong and everything right. That sir is a beautiful watch, congrats.

Looks like it has a few complications too, I particularly like the moonphase.

Remain blessed.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 10:02 AM   #20
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
Hublot get an unfair bashing because of the similarities to AP and RM. For me they are just fantastic pieces of art.

JCB (my watch idol - I hang off his every word) has been asked specifically about this likeness and answers the question perfectly, referencing Patek copying AP in the early days of the RO. Basically they are ahead of their time and they will be appreciated more as times goes by.

Most innovations are not truly appreciated at the time of conception. Regrettably Jean Claude Biver is in bad health, I do wish him a healthy recovery. However, when he passes the brand will likely see a resurgence and some of the pieces that WIS community hate will likely become collectibles.

I have a Hublot on my grail list and would pick one up ahead of most 'hot' pieces. Moreover, I owe it to my man JCB to be in the Hublot club. Living legend.
Agree here. Biver is awesome.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:06 AM   #21
slawa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
Nothing wrong and everything right. That sir is a beautiful watch, congrats.

Looks like it has a few complications too, I particularly like the moonphase.

Remain blessed.
thank you sir , the watch has 10 hands and moon phase (chrono and perpetual calendar ) , it's practically the analog computer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_20200503_111635 (2).jpg (148.3 KB, 421 views)
Old 16 July 2020, 09:42 PM   #22
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawa View Post
thank you sir , the watch has 10 hands and moon phase (chrono and perpetual calendar ) , it's practically the analog computer
Yup, an amazing watch. I really wish Hublot used a real dial instead of sapphire.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:34 PM   #23
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I’ve never understood the argument that Hublot is derivative of AP. Because there are screws on the bezel? Cmon. It seems like a groupthink has taken hold where if you consider yourself a WIS you’re supposed to hate Hublot. But I don’t see any good reason for it.

That being said, value retention is terrible based on MSRP so I’d definitely go used.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 10:27 AM   #24
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
I’ve never understood the argument that Hublot is derivative of AP. Because there are screws on the bezel? Cmon. It seems like a groupthink has taken hold where if you consider yourself a WIS you’re supposed to hate Hublot. But I don’t see any good reason for it.

That being said, value retention is terrible based on MSRP so I’d definitely go used.
Yeah i'm with you on this one. Guess that's the good thing about not having a herd mentality. Just means we can pay 30%+ less on secondary instead of 30%+ more. Every cloud and all that.
Old 18 July 2020, 06:38 PM   #25
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Op, why don’t you walk in with an envelope containing the list price -20 percent in cash, let your AD look at the money for a little while and tell them they may keep either the envelope or the watch... and then watch what happens... monounsaturated intended. You lot over there in the English high spheres should really learn to be a little less polite, as 10% on this watch is not nearly enough.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 06:40 PM   #26
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post

It’s not, but it also cannot really be compared with what you’ll get from AP... Hublot will give you fairly simple industrial finish in cool exotic materials, AP will give you about the best machine made finish there is in pretty traditional materials... if anything, Hublot compares to modern day Panerai.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 01:23 AM   #27
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
If you like it, that’s all that matters. Hublot is not popular on this board. I doubt it retains value well, most watches do not. I just find most Hublots to be derivative of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. No innovation points there.
No innovations points? Sorry I couldn't disagree more.

Hublot (meaning porthole in French) were the first to 'fuse' gold and rubber in the same watch. An industry first and the inspiration for the name, fusion.

Same with the Big Bang, they brought gold and rubber together for the first time since the beginning of time. They've continued to be innovative and bring new and old materials together including bronze with carbon.

The comparisons to AP were only highlighted when AP began to offer rubber straps. Their products were considered very innovate at the time they launched.

Do you feel the Nautilus has copied off the Royal Oak? What's the difference between copying and taking inspiration? Popular opinion and nothing else would be my guess.
Old 19 July 2020, 01:48 AM   #28
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
The same person designed the Nautilus and the Royal Oak, the late Gerald Genta. So he did somewhat copy himself. I think all artists have a style that repeats itself in different variations.

I am generally not a Hublot fan. The originally posted watch is reasonably attractive, but if I am going to spend that kind of money, I would buy something else. That’s just me.

But there are many avid Hublot fans and I hope they enjoy their watches. My opinion should have no bearing on them.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 02:46 AM   #29
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
The same person designed the Nautilus and the Royal Oak, the late Gerald Genta. So he did somewhat copy himself. I think all artists have a style that repeats itself in different variations.

I am generally not a Hublot fan. The originally posted watch is reasonably attractive, but if I am going to spend that kind of money, I would buy something else. That’s just me.

But there are many avid Hublot fans and I hope they enjoy their watches. My opinion should have no bearing on them.
I know Genta designed them both, that was kind of my point. AP was furious at the time though and it was considered a direct rip off of the RO. Many moons later it's a work of art and absolutely timeless. That was my point about popular opinion.

I don't think you opinion would have any bearing on Hublot fans. Don't think anyone was claiming as much, but to say they brand doesn't innovate is factually incorrect. That was the point I was expressing.

Peace
Old 20 July 2020, 05:25 AM   #30
slawa
"TRF" Member

the best way to choose, is to set them side by side and see what you like best .When I buy watches I want them to be different from all others.
Here are the pics of my deepsea next to Hublot and AP.
When looking throughout Hublot portfolio I'm sure one can find something of interest
But ,if one is looking for the investment and not watch to wear, then the best way is to go for grant complications from Patek. .
Last pictures is of AP. that I pass ( price was great) - for me the proportions of numbers where way to big for the dial - regardless of the quality we should own what gives us a pleasure, life is short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_20191206_102050 (2).jpg (98.9 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg tn_20191206_102927 (2).jpg (155.1 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg tn_IMG_50071.jpg (103.1 KB, 337 views)