The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 July 2020, 11:22 AM   #1
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Watch: my P&L
Radomir Sizing Question

Hey all, I think I am going to pick up a Radomir soon. I'm a long time fan of Panerai, and I love the 1940s with the solid lugs, and crown. A simple, yet classy watch that can be dressed up, dressed down, and fit under the cuff of a shirt no problems. It will certainly help hold me over while I wait on some calls from my Rolex AD. Ideally I'd pick one up that could work for my wife as well as myself - issue being is that I have about a 7.25" wrist and she has a 6" wrist. I wonder if the 42mm would work for both of us? I really like the 512/ 574, but if I had to size up the next option would be the 514. From your experience what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
mr ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 11:23 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

I’d go with a 42 if you want to share. She can pull it off and it won’t be too small for you.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 12:45 PM   #3
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
I’d go with a 42 if you want to share. She can pull it off and it won’t be too small for you.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 18 July 2020, 01:28 PM   #4
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ling View Post
Hey all, I think I am going to pick up a Radomir soon. I'm a long time fan of Panerai, and I love the 1940s with the solid lugs, and crown. A simple, yet classy watch that can be dressed up, dressed down, and fit under the cuff of a shirt no problems. It will certainly help hold me over while I wait on some calls from my Rolex AD. Ideally I'd pick one up that could work for my wife as well as myself - issue being is that I have about a 7.25" wrist and she has a 6" wrist. I wonder if the 42mm would work for both of us? I really like the 512/ 574, but if I had to size up the next option would be the 514. From your experience what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=752119

The spousal unit changes the size dynamics, probably 42mm.
Old 18 July 2020, 02:24 PM   #5
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=752119

The spousal unit changes the size dynamics, probably 42mm.

Thanks for the suggestion. Great piece in that pic too. I wish I was close to a Panerai store - almost a two hour drive, and prefer to buy grey or used. Do you think the 42mm would fit my larger wrist well?
Old 18 July 2020, 08:02 PM   #6
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Great piece in that pic too. I wish I was close to a Panerai store - almost a two hour drive, and prefer to buy grey or used. Do you think the 42mm would fit my larger wrist well?
Very subjective question pending one’s preference/style vs. wire lug or solid lug Radiomir.

I have the same size wrist, wear a 47mm 425, and to ME it’s perfect. Including the wife as a wearer with a 6” wrist changes the dynamic, and any suggestion will be moot. If you plan on having a Panerai long term, buy two so both parties make no compromises.
Old 18 July 2020, 11:43 PM   #7
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Very subjective question pending one’s preference/style vs. wire lug or solid lug Radiomir.

I have the same size wrist, wear a 47mm 425, and to ME it’s perfect. Including the wife as a wearer with a 6” wrist changes the dynamic, and any suggestion will be moot. If you plan on having a Panerai long term, buy two so both parties make no compromises.

The thought was I’ll probably wear it less and less, with it becoming more of a dedicated piece for her once my new Rolex pieces come in. If that assumption were to be incorrect, I could always pick another one up. Just concerned about the look of a 42mm on my wrist. Additionally I prefer the solid lug Radomir.
Old 19 July 2020, 12:19 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That's a bit of a conundrum.

I think you'll find the 42 quite small for your wrist (YMMV) but it would be perfect for your wife. Seems like it may be a forced compromise ....

I have a 7" wrist and wear this 47mm. It's the only watch I've ever bought sight unseen and I was nervous about the size. Now it's one of, if not my favorite watches.

There's no denying 47mm is big, but the cushion case profile makes this one wear SO comfortablely. IMO, Panerai are supposed to be big watches, that's what they are, so embrace the size 42 just doesn't work for me and I wouldn't buy a watch to split the difference (as much as I do love my wife)

Maybe buy your wife the 42 and get yourself a 47

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 01:59 AM   #9
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I think you'll find the 42 quite small for your wrist (YMMV) but it would be perfect for your wife. Seems like it may be a forced compromise ....

I have a 7" wrist and wear this 47mm. It's the only watch I've ever bought sight unseen and I was nervous about the size. Now it's one of, if not my favorite watches.

There's no denying 47mm is big, but the cushion case profile makes this one wear SO comfortablely. IMO, Panerai are supposed to be big watches, that's what they are, so embrace the size 42 just doesn't work for me and I wouldn't buy a watch to split the difference (as much as I do love my wife)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Seems like this might be the route I go, if she is as much in love with Panerai as I.. Love yours - beautiful. What is the model - 932? I might have to go that route or get a date complication with the 514, although I would like the simplicity of a no date on the black dial.

Thanks again!
Old 19 July 2020, 04:22 AM   #10
sjap68
"TRF" Member

This is great advice.
sjap68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 06:47 AM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Seems like this might be the route I go, if she is as much in love with Panerai as I.. Love yours - beautiful. What is the model - 932? I might have to go that route or get a date complication with the 514, although I would like the simplicity of a no date on the black dial.

Thanks again!
It’s a 690. It’s a 1940 case which means it’s a Radiomir with Luminor lugs instead of wire lugs.
Old 19 July 2020, 10:15 AM   #12
PossumDixon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
514 is a big watch, and it is about the max I would go on my 7.25” wrist. Lugs are just to the edge of my wrist. My other Panerai, a Luminor is 42, and I wish I had bought a 44.
Old 19 July 2020, 12:23 PM   #13
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
It’s a 690. It’s a 1940 case which means it’s a Radiomir with Luminor lugs instead of wire lugs.
Thanks for the correction! One wish of mine is that Panerai would have a Radomir with Luminor lugs, non-GMT, no date complication, wit a blue seconds hand with the standard 'patina-ed' hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumDixon View Post
514 is a big watch, and it is about the max I would go on my 7.25” wrist. Lugs are just to the edge of my wrist. My other Panerai, a Luminor is 42, and I wish I had bought a 44.
Thanks for that rec! I'll look at 44s as well.
Old 19 July 2020, 11:13 PM   #14
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
I personally would go for the 42, maybe a 44 if you feel the 42 very small.

I think there’s no way to know if you don’t try them...

I’ve got 7.2in wrist and 2 42s and a 44...IMHO I like more the 42s

Try them out, I’ve seen guys with 6in wrists wear 47mm and like them.

Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 11:31 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

Late to the game, thank you for answering that
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 12:08 AM   #16
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Decisions are difficult. I might pick up a 45mm Radiomir, but can't decide if I want to go with wire lugs or laminor lugs. Figure a 690 would cover bigger lugs, and that beautiful dial, and I could go with a 609 for a more 'traditional' Radiomir. Preference will always be for sandwich dials. I need to do some more research to see about other models as well. Any recommendations on dealers to purchase grey or used?

Thanks all!
Old 20 July 2020, 12:13 AM   #17
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euge View Post
I personally would go for the 42, maybe a 44 if you feel the 42 very small.

I think there’s no way to know if you don’t try them...

I’ve got 7.2in wrist and 2 42s and a 44...IMHO I like more the 42s

Try them out, I’ve seen guys with 6in wrists wear 47mm and like them.

LOVE that dial - wish I could get that on non-GMT variants. Thanks for the heads up. I think a 42mm on luminor lugs could work..
Old 20 July 2020, 01:22 AM   #18
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
Quote:
LOVE that dial - wish I could get that on non-GMT variants. Thanks for the heads up. I think a 42mm on luminor lugs could work..

Thanks!!! You can hide the 24hrs hand below the hrs hand.
I prefer to show the 24hrs hand, guess it’s matter of taste.

Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 02:45 AM   #19
mr ling
"TRF" Member

If I could find a good example of 512 I'd be all over it.