The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2020, 09:47 AM   #61
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I measured mine with a ruler, it's somewhere between 27 and 28mm, just like the Sub / YM / DSSD. I couldn't see a significant difference between my SD43 and YM 116622 dials.

Calipers on a dismounted dial will be the only way to know for sure down to a tenth of mm or two.

For hose interested you can download the Rolex dial catalogue here.

IDGuy is suggesting that the cyclops on the SD43 is an afterthought but it's the other way around, Rolex dials with a date window are designed with a cyclops in mind from the start. This is the reason why the Sea-Dweller range without a cyclops have the date window looking oddly inset. Rolex were not going to make a different movement size just for the no-cyclops Sea-Dweller range. With the SD43, things go back to normal as they should be when the date window is meant to be seen though a cyclops.

The day they make a movement with a date disc meant to be seen without a cyclops, they'll put the date window further to the right. But I doubt this will ever happen as the cyclops is part of Rolex's DNA.
Verniers measuring the ID of the Rehaut is the only metric that matters here.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 09:52 AM   #62
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
SDs always had a date window that looked slightly "inset" and not flush/closer to the minute marks, going back to the DRSD. Nothing new here, and that video .... could the guy get to the darn point a little faster, please!? (Skip to the 4-minute mark, if you haven't clicked on it yet.)

I don't buy the theory at all. A cyclops is iconically Rolex. They simply updated the "anniversary" SD, like they've done with a lot of their watches. Bigger cases, thicker hands, updated movements, etc ... Just part of the evolution. Some love it, some don't, like everything else in the watch world.
Yes, it always looked inset when focusing on its relationship with the minute marks.
But consider this.
There's a better degree of symmetry when viewing the inside distance of the date window and the 9 o'clock marker to the center where the hands are fitted.
Old 10 April 2020, 10:20 AM   #63
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Didn't think this would stir up quite the lively chatter. Personally I think Rolex really got everything right with the SD43. I always felt the older iterations of the SD were a bit on the small and thick side. And with the new release, it handles the thickness better overall..IMO
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 10:25 AM   #64
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Then what happens with the DSSD, have a case even bigger and do not have problem with the design and date position. I think is not true, Rolex made the best possible version for the SD in his 50th. And the Cyclops is a Rolex iconic feature.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 11:25 AM   #65
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Verniers measuring the ID of the Rehaut is the only metric that matters here.
what's the ID of the rehaut?
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 11:32 AM   #66
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
what's the ID if the rehaut?
That's the question.
We don't know until someone measures all the contenders and provides a definitive answer to the issue of the visible dial diameter.
It's never been done before.
The DSSD is going to be the biggest problem because not everybody can just open them up, with someone at an RSC being best placed to pursue it when they're servicing a DSSD.
Old 10 April 2020, 11:37 AM   #67
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
Then what happens with the DSSD, have a case even bigger and do not have problem with the design and date position. I think is not true, Rolex made the best possible version for the SD in his 50th. And the Cyclops is a Rolex iconic feature.

All designs are a compromise of one thing or another.
It all comes down to the beholder.
Mk II 116660 and D-blue 116660 for the win around these parts
Unless you speak to my wife of course then her DJ gets the award
Old 10 April 2020, 12:06 PM   #68
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
All designs are a compromise of one thing or another.

It all comes down to the beholder.

Mk II 116660 and D-blue 116660 for the win around these parts

Unless you speak to my wife of course then her DJ gets the award
Is True.

I love the SD43 and the next one to me will be to add a DSSD someday. The two badass divers.

abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 12:52 PM   #69
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
As an aside from all of this, I'm glad the cyclops is on there just so my damn 50 y/o+ eyes can read the date!
This thread has made me realize that I have not been able to read the date on my Deeps Sea without extreme effort for almost a year now - and I have just turned 49.

I am now thinking that the cyclops is in fact a very useful enhancement to a watch, and I plan to acquire a Rolex with one as soon as I am able to.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote