The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2020, 01:12 AM   #31
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
My suggestion would be to wear it. If you aren't going to wear it you should sell it and buy something you will wear. If you insist on keeping it and not wearing it, take it off the winder and put it in the safe.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:16 AM   #32
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRider View Post
If you’re never wearing it, don’t keep it on a watch winder. All it does is put unnecessary wear on the movement.
No, the movement is lubricated and the lubrication is meant to be moved around. These lubricants will eventually dry out regardless if you wear the watch or not. Keeping a watch in your safe for 10 years and then take it out to wear it for 1 month will cause more wear and tear than 5 years of a daytona sitting in a watchwinder.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:19 AM   #33
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

I can understand why some people might be too worried to wear their 116500 Daytona. This model is worth a significant amount of money and if it got lost or stolen they would be heartbroken. Many people buy watches just to look at and admire and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I do agree that it's not a good idea to keep it ruining for no real purpose. Maybe if you just wear it around the house.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:31 AM   #34
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
If you're not going to wear it then just let it stop running so you can say it is BNIB / unworn. If you are saving it for yourself then either wind or don't wind you're still servicing at year 10. Get a good winder with 650 tpd or an orbita that can't overwind.
Old 9 April 2020, 03:20 AM   #35
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks,it’s your business what you do with your watches.
I have a brand new 116500, white and black version that I don’t wear which are new in the box.I also have ten other watches including earlier Daytona’s that I do wear.
What ever makes you happy,
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 03:31 AM   #36
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
Keeping a watch in your safe for 10 years and then take it out to wear it for 1 month will cause more wear and tear than 5 years of a daytona sitting in a watchwinder.
I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 03:36 AM   #37
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Keen to see the source of this information.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2020, 03:36 AM   #38
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
I can understand why some people might be too worried to wear their 116500 Daytona. This model is worth a significant amount of money and if it got lost or stolen they would be heartbroken. Many people buy watches just to look at and admire and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I do agree that it's not a good idea to keep it ruining for no real purpose. Maybe if you just wear it around the house.

Well thats the trouble today Rolex watches have stopped being bought and enjoyed to wear, now they are seen as little more than ££££££$$$$$ to many.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 03:39 AM   #39
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well thats the trouble today Rolex watches have stopped being bought and enjoyed to wear, now they are seen as little more than ££££££$$$$$ to many.
Peter, is Ger correct in saying that keeping a watch in your safe for 10 years and then take it out to wear it for 1 month will cause more wear and tear than 5 years of a daytona sitting in a watchwinder? It makes sense that the movement is lubricated and the lubrication is meant to be moved around. It also makes sense that the lubricants will eventually dry out regardless if you wear the watch or not. But is it really that bad to keep a watch sitting unwound contrasted to keeping it on a winder?
Old 9 April 2020, 03:48 AM   #40
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
That's a shame.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 03:53 AM   #41
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He must be referring to scratches and dings.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 03:59 AM   #42
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

OP that is honestly, from the bottom of my heart, truly heartbreaking that you acquired one of the hottest and best watches on the planet yet choose not to wear it, keep it until your last day just see how much it's worth. I think you would have bigger concerns during your last days than to see how much your watch has appreciated over the years. That money won't go to the grave with you...

I never got the concept of safe queens but it seems excessive and greedy.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:01 AM   #43
Heady Topper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm4288 View Post
i wear a 116710LN, for almost 10 years... so worn that i’m not dare to wear the Daytona...
so when i bought the 116500, i just want to keep it until the end of my day... and see how much that worth...

Why not leave it to someone who'll actually enjoy it?
Heady Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:02 AM   #44
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
He must be referring to scratches and dings.
I know at Watchbox, they categorize watches that have been stored on a winder as having undergone "hard use"
Old 9 April 2020, 04:11 AM   #45
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

I don’t get the concept of admiring from a distance. Just wear the damn thing. It’s only a watch and there are thousands of them out there.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:11 AM   #46
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I would guess -- just a guess -- that it's better to NOT put it on a watch winder. After all, AD's have watches in their cases and back room that sit there for perhaps years (DJ's) and I don't think they wind them, do they?

On the other hand, if you enjoy seeing it every day, keeping time, but safe in your winder so it doesn't get scratches, then that's fine, your choice. There is more than one way to enjoy a Rolex (although my preference is to wear mine).

I notice that nobody answered your original question -- if you're keeping a Daytona in a watch winder to preserve it (under the assumption that this is better than not running it), should you be running the stop-watch second hand as well? What do the experts say????

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:14 AM   #47
Frank90402
"TRF" Member

Does it make you happy knowing you have a mint Rolex? You might as well wear it. Or release whatever it is that is holding you back from using the watch for it’s very purpose.
Frank90402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:28 AM   #48
robby818
"TRF" Member

I keep my watches on winders but I only run them for a 24 hour period once every few months. I figure it is good to turn the gears every few months plus it's a nice way to display them. I understand that leaving it on a powered on winder 24/7 is going to wear out the movement so I don't do that.
robby818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:31 AM   #49
Carew
"TRF" Member

wear the watch... enjoy the watch
Carew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:36 AM   #50
Spartan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL of them
This is why there's a Daytona C shortage, people are hording them and / not wearing them...LOL
Real watch lovers wait on the sidelines, on the false waiting list, dreaming of buying at retail.

ohhh well
ROLEX1675:126660:226570BL:116613LN:114060
Pam00279 : Pam00270 : OMEGA3861 : Navitimer A23322 :
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:37 AM   #51
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf&Watches View Post
I'm told that some people like to keep theirs in the fridge for freshness, I sometimes wear mine.
Yes sir! I keep mine in the crisper drawer with the vegetables. Helps keep the movement Nice and Crisp

OP. Wear the watch!
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 05:56 AM   #52
pholzer
Banned

Wear it, it's yours enjoy it.
pholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:34 AM   #53
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

just wear it

otherwise why buy it?

complete waste of money
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 07:57 AM   #54
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
I have a 116500LN Black which I bought in 2018, never wear (except when I got it from dealer and adjust the strap) and just run it in a watch winder (over time this watch has accuracy +2 sec/day). recently I started to think whether I should keep all hands moving instead of just three (hour/minute/second). So I started it on timing mode and it's nearly a month since I work like this.

Anyone out there work your Daytona like me?

Any comment is appreciated?
Lots of hate. Lol. I won’t be mean though. Here’s the reality... It’s your watch... I say you should do whatever you want with it. They’re built tough. It’ll be fine. I prefer to enjoy mine on my wrist but that’s me.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:09 PM   #55
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I don't think someone's reluctance to wear their watch necessarily confirms they only bought it for investment purposes. The very fact they are a member of this forum and bringing us topics to debate or asking questions to increase their knowledge would suggest that their love of watches goes far beyond £££$$$

Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:40 PM   #56
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum. Wear it and enjoy.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:44 PM   #57
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Wear it as a daily beater to sports events, or when I feel like 'today' is a Daytona day. You should wear it and enjoy your time.
Yes; This. Welcome to TRF.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:46 PM   #58
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
No, the movement is lubricated and the lubrication is meant to be moved around. These lubricants will eventually dry out regardless if you wear the watch or not. Keeping a watch in your safe for 10 years and then take it out to wear it for 1 month will cause more wear and tear than 5 years of a daytona sitting in a watchwinder.
Sigh. Would you rather service a watch that needs lubrication or a far more pricy overhaul to replace *worn* parts?

Ideally, every six months or so wear or use the winder to give the movement a work-out. Then, let it run down (if you must!) and visit it in 6 months for more exercise.

The wristwatch was a milestone providing a small, accurate clock that was originally only for home, business or institutional use to 'regular folks' to whom time was important.

The entire CONCEPT was based around the idea of punctuality for people not near or having available the correct time. Simply put, it was INVENTED to be worn. Never worn or used "safe queens" notwithstanding, to own a wristwatch and to not *wear* it is not only silly, it's somewhat crazy.

Do as you please. it's your watch after all. But, get it off that winder and the environmental pollution, dust, UV sun exposure and vault it. Periodically, give it a little workout and leave well enough alone.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:48 PM   #59
JamyMC
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710
Quote:
I have a 116500LN Black which I bought in 2018, never wear (except when I got it from dealer and adjust the strap) and just run it in a watch winder (over time this watch has accuracy +2 sec/day). recently I started to think whether I should keep all hands moving instead of just three (hour/minute/second). So I started it on timing mode and it's nearly a month since I work like this.

Anyone out there work your Daytona like me?

Any comment is appreciated?
Why keeping it for the older year, its a watch wear it..
JamyMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:54 PM   #60
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Wear it now so you won’t have regrets, you never know when your last day will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote