The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 April 2020, 06:21 PM   #1
athom
"TRF" Member

How you do like this 16520 ?

Hi mates, I'd like to know how do you like this 16520, especially the condition of the case and bezel as well as the colour of the counters :

https://www.chrono24.fr/rolex/dayton...id14690453.htm

Many thanks for considering my request.

Best

Thomas

athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 07:26 PM   #2
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Seems quite polished and with service bezel...
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
What's the difference between an original one and service bezel? How do I spot it?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 11:50 PM   #4
1665fan
"TRF" Member

The bezel is correct for N serial....polished but correct. Looks like a nice watch to me. You won’t find an inverted 6 never polished in that price range.
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:18 AM   #5
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
The bezel is correct for N serial....polished but correct. Looks like a nice watch to me. You won’t find an inverted 6 never polished in that price range.
Based on my understanding it's an MK5 bezel, hence not time correct. But curious to get more insights.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...as-t17026.html
Old 2 April 2020, 01:32 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
It's not a service bezel, but I agree about the polished case. It's not just that it's been polished, because almost all of these Zenith Daytonas will be polished to some degree, it's about how it's been polished. I don't like the crown-side lugs and how they seem to slope inward a little. Otherwise, I love that dial and patina. Really nice. I guess it would depend on how picky you are and your budget.

Quote:
Based on my understanding it's an MK5 bezel, hence not time correct. But curious to get more insights.
As for the bezel, I'd have no issue it. We've all seen those lists/charts where they try to exactly match serial numbers with exact MK versions of bezels based on the tiniest details. We need to remember those are just guides, not gospel. Do we really think that if Rolex had a supply of certain bezels at the factory that they wouldn't use them on a certain serial number version? (Rhetorical question.)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:45 AM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I have an N serial on my wrist as I type, And it’s identical to this one on my wrist

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-NK...4EJivrPLW/view

The fonts in the writing look almost identical but the hash over the 160 mark on mine and this N4 serial clearly goes further and basically covers the 160. On that piece pictured it does not....I would say if that watch was sold 1991ish it might have been back to service and got a replacement bezel late nineties possibly or maybe they had some of the zenith bezels left over like what would have come on a W,T,some U serials.....that is the same bezel as the W serial I have....
Old 2 April 2020, 05:19 AM   #8
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have an N serial on my wrist as I type, And it’s identical to this one on my wrist

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-NK...4EJivrPLW/view

The fonts in the writing look almost identical but the hash over the 160 mark on mine and this N4 serial clearly goes further and basically covers the 160. On that piece pictured it does not....I would say if that watch was sold 1991ish it might have been back to service and got a replacement bezel late nineties possibly or maybe they had some of the zenith bezels left over like what would have come on a W,T,some U serials.....that is the same bezel as the W serial I have....
On C24, 80% have the short mark above 160 (just to say, I doesn't say that it is the right one) just fyi...just I'd like to be sure that the right should be the long version.
Old 2 April 2020, 06:08 AM   #9
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
On C24, 80% have the short mark above 160 (just to say, I doesn't say that it is the right one) just fyi...just I'd like to be sure that the right should be the long version.
Mine (L6 with MK3 dial) has the following:
T above the H
Short Line at 160
"Bigger" 6 and 9

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIw...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VcQ...ew?usp=sharing

I'd say it's an MK3 and time correct.
Old 2 April 2020, 10:34 AM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Looks like your L serial has a mark3 which is on my early N serial...then the other one I showed pics and my other N serial are mark 4 bezels...and that N serial at the top has a mark5 replacement bezel to me....
Old 3 April 2020, 01:07 AM   #11
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like your L serial has a mark3 which is on my early N serial...then the other one I showed pics and my other N serial are mark 4 bezels...and that N serial at the top has a mark5 replacement bezel to me....
so it seems to be clear that the one I showed you all has - in any case - the wrong bezel...
Old 3 April 2020, 01:28 AM   #12
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I would say yes has a late nineties bezel and should have the mark4 or 3 depending on early or late production...
Old 3 April 2020, 08:39 AM   #13
Mikel212
"TRF" Member

As a reference, I have an N with serial 31xxxx, not sure if that's an early N or late N, but looks to have the mark 4 bezel similar to pic posted by 1665.
Mikel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:49 AM   #14
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel212 View Post
As a reference, I have an N with serial 31xxxx, not sure if that's an early N or late N, but looks to have the mark 4 bezel similar to pic posted by 1665.
Thats the correct bezel for it, i have an n serial with mark 3 and n serial with mark4. I need to check my serials on them and get back to ya....of course the mark 3 bezel I have should be an earlier serial than mine and yours....