The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2008, 04:56 AM   #1
Percival007

Watch: Tudor Sport 20020
Tudor Repairer suggestions, UK.

Hello all,

I'm new here so hello to everyone.

I have purchased a Tudor Prince Oysterdate from ebay recently. I believe it is from the early nineties. I have allways aspired to owning an example of this type of watch ever since drooling over them whilst on lunch-break from college, wandering the shops in my local town centre! So now, years later and having saved up i bit the bullet, so to speak!

It has not got the original papers with it and has not got the original strap. The hands and the minute markers no longer illuminate in the dark. Other than that the watch is beautifull and keeps time perfectly.

Because of the little niggles listed above and i thought a service would not go amiss i took it to my local Jewellers (a Rolex agent). I was told that because it did not have the papers they were unable to ascertain whether the watch was genuine or not and if sent to the Rolex service centre it may be returned to me "smashed" if discovered to be a fake watch. I was reasonably sure that the watch was a genuine Tudor so asked if they would send the watch off.

I was telephoned by the Jewellers on Friday (29th Feb), 6 weeks after Rolex had sent notification of receipt of the watch and was told that Rolex had returned the watch unrepaired. There was a covering letter.

I won't quote the whole letter, but basically i am informed that the watch was "manufactured many years ago" and if opened and they were "...to find worn or broken..." parts, a repair to a satisfactory standard would be impossible, so nothing would be done. The watch was not smashed though, so i assume the watch to be genuine, at least some good news!

This i find a little surprising on a watch that i presume would have cost perhaps £500? when new.

Would any of you care to comment on my experience and perhaps offer any suggestions. Perhaps you could offer suggestions on an independant watch repairer with Tudor experience in the U.K. where i can get the watch serviced and perhaps the faults sorted.

Sorry to "go a bit" on my first post.

All the best, James.
Percival007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to The Forum James.

I'm a bit surprised tohear how Rolex handled your Tudor. Tudor used the well known and plentiful ETA movements, so I am unsure why there would not be parts available except that Rolex and Swatch (ETA manufacturer) do not see eye-to-eye.

The good news is that since these movements are plentiful in the world, many decent watchmakers will be able to ensure it's proper functioning.

There are many fine crafstmen in the UK, so I am moving your post to the main Rolex forum where you might find some experiences..
Old 2 March 2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
James,
I too am very surprised.
I have an early eighties Tudor, which I had serviced by Rolex Bexley 2 years ago.
Are you sure the watch is 90's?
What Symbol does your watch have on the dial?
Is it a Shield or a Rose?
A picture would be helpful as I would think it must be very early for Rolex not to want to service it, they usually only do this with watches over 30 years old that they no longer hold parts for if it is over that age, but they still hold parts they will usually service it anyway.
As Larry has said all is not lost the ETA movement will have plenty of parts availability if needed and there are many good watchmakers here.
I have used a chap called Brian at Tickers in Oldham Tel No 01616 242555 a few times and can say he is very reliable and reasonably priced.
Give him a ring and have a chat he is Swiss trained, so knows his onions.
Cheers,

Mark
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Percival007

Tudor Repairers suggestions, UK.

Thank-you chaps for the encouraging replies.

There is a shield on the face, not a rose. I am not 100% certain of the date of manufacture, but think 90's. I have posted some pics, if any-one can clarify i'd be gratefull.

Thanks for the information on the Oldham repairer, i'll give him a ring.

Regards, James.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001a.jpg (38.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0003a.jpg (32.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 2 March 2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Spark
"TRF" Member

James,
That is approx the same time frame as my one.
I am even more surprised now that Rolex will not entertain a service.
Where are you in the UK?
If you are close to Kent/London it would be worth your while taking the watch to Bexley yourself.
You actually get to speak with one of the top watchmakers/Technitians and they explain everything (if you ask/show an interest).
Luckily I live in Kent, so it only takes me 45 mins to pop up to the service center.
Here is a pic of mine so you can see it is approx the same age.
Cheers,

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor Cali.jpg (59.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 2 March 2008, 06:07 PM   #6
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

"Second Time Round" in the Gray's Antique Market in London, near Oxford Street, off Bond St. Tube St., does repair jobs, two.

Enjoy your stay here!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Cheal will sort it out for you

http://www.chealwatch.com/
Old 2 March 2008, 07:43 PM   #8
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Watch: what your doing.
Very strange - I have had numerous Tudor's serviced by Rolex SC Bexley, some recently and some as old as early 80's but I do always post them direct via special delivery with a letter stating what I'm after if possible.
I did get one returned once with a letter from Rolex stating the watch was 'no longer in production' and as I was after a dial change (from silver to black) it was not possible so they returned it.
Old 2 March 2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Percival007

Thanks Spark for the information, though you don't actually say when your watch was made, it does seem similar to mine.

The letter received back with the watch was on Rolex headed paper and from the Bexley service centre so a trip there would not i think be beneficial. I am in Berkshire so it would not be too far though.

Thanks again for the replies and interest,

best wishes, James.

Last edited by Percival007; 2 March 2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Left out some information.
Old 3 March 2008, 07:14 AM   #10
Spark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival007 View Post
Thanks Spark for the information, though you don't actually say when your watch was made, it does seem similar to mine.

The letter received back with the watch was on Rolex headed paper and from the Bexley service centre so a trip there would not i think be beneficial. I am in Berkshire so it would not be too far though.

Thanks again for the replies and interest,

best wishes, James.

I would give them a ring then.
The number will be in the top left hand corner of the green Rolex letter you received.
If it isn't it is 01322 625400 ask to speak to the service department and they should be able to explain.
You may even find that they will do the work direct (they may have to do certain things if they are working for an AD), it's worth a shot.
I am pretty sure my watch is early 80's, but it has a model number I can't find on any reference material regarding Tudor watches.
When they serviced the watch for me it only cost £89 including a new crystal, but due to it's age they wouldn't give it the usual guarantee.
If you give them a ring I'd be interested to know how you get on PM me.
Cheers,

Mark.
Old 4 March 2008, 04:27 AM   #11
Percival007

Well, i rang the Bexley Service Centre this morning and was given the same answer.

A Tudor watch of this vintage (i'm still not sure when it was actually made) just cannot be repaired/serviced by Rolex any longer. The lady i spoke to recommended i take the watch to an Antique Horologist................

..........."Any particular recommendations" i asked (it was like pulling teeth).

I was finally recommended to a company called SHWR run by a Stephen Hale.

I gave the number a ring and spoke to a very pleasant Irish chap who seemed very optimistic about the possibility of effecting a full repair/service on my watch.

There is a charge made if any estimate is refused and any work necessary will take approximately 16 to 20 weeks.

I think i will send the watch off and hope that something can be done.

Baptistman, i did e-mail Cheal watches but as yet have not heard from them.

I will keep you informed about the outcome.

Regards, James.
Old 4 March 2008, 04:52 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Cheal will sort it out for you

http://www.chealwatch.com/
Highly recommended great service but any good watchmaker could service your watch or get any movement parts if needed from ETA.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2008, 06:48 AM   #13
ratae1950
"TRF" Member

Come to Boston!

I had work done on a similar vintage Tudor* done at New England Watch. No hassles, pretentions etc., and done in one week!

* not this onetudor.jpg