The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 August 2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Calefornia
"TRF" Member

Explorer Experts Needed! My Great Grandpa's Explorer & Bracelet (Early 1950's)

I was recently going through my family's watch collection with my father and was hoping some expert eyes might be able to shine some more light on this watch than google!

We no longer have box and papers however this is what we know:
He bought the watch new in the early 50's that came with the bracelet that is currently shown in the pictures. The watch is all original and has never been refurbished.

The bracelet has a stamp on it of 4-52. We believe that's referring to 4th Quarter 1952 when the bracelet was made. I believe the bracelet itself may be rare as well.

In regards to the watch, one side of the lugs says Brevet 6298 and on the other is the serial number: 929XXX. 6298 is the watch's reference number however it has been difficult to find an exact comparable on the internet, it seems like there were a lot of different 6298's - all with different hands, dials, and any combination of those. Some have the 12 at the top, some have the Rolex Crown, some have 12, 3, 6 & 9, all stating to be 6298's. I haven't been able to find one like mine with the 12 at the top with straight hands. Also, I haven't seen ANY with this bracelet. We believe the serial number puts the watch around 1953 - this was a time when the Explorer was first being branded as the Explorer. Stamped on the inside of the back cover is 4-53.

Is this one of the earlier 6298's showing Explorer on the dial? Which bracelet or strap was standard on this watch new? Why is it so difficult to find the dial/hand combination?

Thoughts, expert advice, link to comparables all extremely appreciated! Thanks!

(Also, what the hell is up with the 293.4kb max file size? How can I post higher res photos?)
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_6841.PNG (173.6 KB, 575 views)
File Type: png IMG_6844.PNG (175.5 KB, 573 views)
File Type: png IMG_6845.PNG (176.8 KB, 568 views)
File Type: png IMG_6842.PNG (170.6 KB, 564 views)
File Type: png IMG_6843.PNG (176.0 KB, 562 views)
Calefornia is offline   Reply With Quote