The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 October 2019, 04:52 AM   #91
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Recent review of PL's by the NYTimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/d...ete-wells.html
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 04:54 AM   #92
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 6138-0030
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post

Blistering to say the least. "unshakable sense that I've been scammed"
Waxtactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 04:59 AM   #93
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxtactic View Post
Blistering to say the least. "unshakable sense that I've been scammed"
And two other critics discussing the review.

https://ny.eater.com/2019/10/29/2093...-critics-eater

I have been to two of the three other places they mention -- Minetta (about a million times and it is awesome) and St Anselm and both are terrific for steak FWIW.
Old 30 October 2019, 04:59 AM   #94
1911dude
Banned

Watch: Omega PO
The place is an overpriced dump, I'd rather have a dirty water dog in times square.

Go to Frankie and Johnnie's in the theater district
1911dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 05:44 AM   #95
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Keens
Old 30 October 2019, 06:31 AM   #96
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Keens
That.
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 09:35 AM   #97
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Look the place has been a tourist trap for years but if you work around it you can still get a great meal and I very much appreciate what it is and have no delusions about what it isn't.

Say what you want, whether you think the review is a hatchet-job or them proclaiming the king has no clothes, finally... I think both are absolutely true, and you can still have a world class meal, or be as disappointed as a child who's dropped their ice cream. You aren't going for luxury or to be treated fabulously. "uneven temps" send it back, steak unevenly cooked, eat the part of it and send the raw part to be heated up, my wife and I eat the med rare parts and send the raw part back for a re-grill. Whatever, and lunch eater didn't and decided to tear them down, whatevs. papers and their reviews are irrelevant everywhere else in the country and its starting be that way in NYC too.

You want everything perfect, no character and plenty of open reservations, go to Wolfgang's. Me I'll stick to PL, love it there, always will!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 09:44 AM   #98
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Stop by the Davidoff next door for a cigar if you’re into such things. Open late...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 09:52 AM   #99
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Wanted to go there to tick it off but seemed hassle getting over there so I just went to Keens which was great
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:14 AM   #100
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Classic takedown by Pete Wells. Ouch!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:39 AM   #101
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
In short, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Look the place has been a tourist trap for years but if you work around it you can still get a great meal and I very much appreciate what it is and have no delusions about what it isn't.

Say what you want, whether you think the review is a hatchet-job or them proclaiming the king has no clothes, finally... I think both are absolutely true, and you can still have a world class meal, or be as disappointed as a child who's dropped their ice cream. You aren't going for luxury or to be treated fabulously. "uneven temps" send it back, steak unevenly cooked, eat the part of it and send the raw part to be heated up, my wife and I eat the med rare parts and send the raw part back for a re-grill. Whatever, and lunch eater didn't and decided to tear them down, whatevs. papers and their reviews are irrelevant everywhere else in the country and its starting be that way in NYC too.

You want everything perfect, no character and plenty of open reservations, go to Wolfgang's. Me I'll stick to PL, love it there, always will!!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:59 AM   #102
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Well, I got shut out again this year. I went online exactly six weeks in advance and the only reservation for two I could get was 10:45. Actually, I had been checking everyday for awhile and, with a very rare weeknight exception, there are no prime time reservations available. None.
We’re headed to Wolfgangs at Park & 33rd and I’m looking forward to it. A report will follow upon my return.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 11:07 AM   #103
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Peter Luger NYC

Quote:
......St Anselm......terrific for steak FWIW.
You must be joking.

There is so much nonsense on this thread. You all sound like the Rolex haters hating on what’s cool to hate on.

I can’t rehash what I’ve said in another hate on Lugers thread, but I will say, if you know New York, you know Lugers is tough to top.

That being said, many many great steak houses here in NYC. Everyone has their favorite. Mine is Lugers, with Benjamin’s a distant second tied perhaps with the Great Neck Lugers.

Keens great for a weeknight burger or the mutton chop. Del Frisco to impress your out of state in-laws. Homestead to be disappointed by and every other over hyped steakhouse like Wolfgang’s, like BLT, etc etc to feel like you know better than everyone who actually knows Lugers is king.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 11:11 AM   #104
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHFinster View Post
You must be joking.

Minetta without a doubt. They have fantastic steaks. Luger is very hit or miss and just not worth the price IMO. For pure old school steakhouse I vote Keen’s
Old 30 October 2019, 11:16 AM   #105
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Peter Luger NYC

Quote:
Minetta without a doubt. They have fantastic steaks. Luger is very hit or miss and just not worth the price IMO. For pure old school steakhouse I vote Keen’s

Minetta is great, a favorite, but for steak? Does not even come close to the other players.

My comment was on St Anselem. That place is an absolute joke.

FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 01:52 AM   #106
SMD
"TRF" Member

Other options.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/d...core-ios-share
Old 31 October 2019, 02:01 AM   #107
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
The NYT hasn’t been relevant for many years now.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 10:46 PM   #108
crew
"TRF" Member

Well, another trip to NYC and unable to get a reservation at Peter Luger’s.
I called exactly 45 days in advance, that’s the earliest they accept reservations, and the only open time available was 10:30.

Now, to be fair, as several members here suggested, I think if we just showed up at Luger’s, with at least a $50, we probably would have gotten in. I need more than a “probably” to go over to Brooklyn though.

I decided to go with Plan B: Wolfgang’s on Park. As we do every year, Nancy & I ordered the Porterhouse for two. Our verdict: delicious! Perfectly seasoned and, IMO, the most tender steak I’ve ever had. Here’s a pic of the guest of honor taken right after our waiter served us our first slices.

Also, while at dinner, there was a gentleman with a very “tropical” shirt on at the table directly behind us. When he got up and turned around I immediately recognized him as Captain Lee from the Below Deck TV show. I will admit to you all that Below Deck is my one guilty pleasures . I spoke with him briefly and he’s a super guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 644012B6-0B93-407B-BD35-5FD518B315C1.jpeg (102.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 18 November 2019, 02:12 AM   #109
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

“You tip good you eat good”. The regulars that take care of the staff well always get priority. $50 head manager tip, confidence and a good back story will get you a guaranteed spot and not more then a 30 minutes wait time at lugers. Wolfgangs in my book is on equal par with lugers, i have family that works at all levels at both.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 06:12 AM   #110
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Well, another trip to NYC and unable to get a reservation at Peter Luger’s.
I called exactly 45 days in advance, that’s the earliest they accept reservations, and the only open time available was 10:30.

Now, to be fair, as several members here suggested, I think if we just showed up at Luger’s, with at least a $50, we probably would have gotten in. I need more than a “probably” to go over to Brooklyn though.

I decided to go with Plan B: Wolfgang’s on Park. As we do every year, Nancy & I ordered the Porterhouse for two. Our verdict: delicious! Perfectly seasoned and, IMO, the most tender steak I’ve ever had. Here’s a pic of the guest of honor taken right after our waiter served us our first slices.

Also, while at dinner, there was a gentleman with a very “tropical” shirt on at the table directly behind us. When he got up and turned around I immediately recognized him as Captain Lee from the Below Deck TV show. I will admit to you all that Below Deck is my one guilty pleasures . I spoke with him briefly and he’s a super guy.
Yikes! WAY overcooked, but whatever floats your boat.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 06:13 AM   #111
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHFinster View Post
You must be joking.

There is so much nonsense on this thread. You all sound like the Rolex haters hating on what’s cool to hate on.

I can’t rehash what I’ve said in another hate on Lugers thread, but I will say, if you know New York, you know Lugers is tough to top.

That being said, many many great steak houses here in NYC. Everyone has their favorite. Mine is Lugers, with Benjamin’s a distant second tied perhaps with the Great Neck Lugers.

Keens great for a weeknight burger or the mutton chop. Del Frisco to impress your out of state in-laws. Homestead to be disappointed by and every other over hyped steakhouse like Wolfgang’s, like BLT, etc etc to feel like you know better than everyone who actually knows Lugers is king.

DING DING DING!!!
Luger's is and always will be King.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 06:31 AM   #112
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Lugers hasn't changed a bit imho... and it is exactly what i want in a steak house.

there are dozens of other steakhouses in nyc that will give you a good steak and many that won't come close.

BUT

when it comes to the complete package, all the sides with just the perfect complementary flavor, ONLY Lugers knocks it out of the park.

porterhouse for two
tomato & onion
shrimp cocktail
creamed spinach
home fries
bacon (if you are so inclined)
apple strudel with schlage (to be fair the volume of schlag has been reduced since the renovation, you used to get a dump truck's worth and now its only a toyota pick up amount but i understand the original schlag room now seats 50 persons.)

as far as service goes, again, it is PERFECT...

every Waiter: "can i get you a menu?"

Me: "you know what i want"

every waiter: repeats the above order automatically while i nod my head yes.

i know exactly what i am going to get and they know exactly what i want.

and the price is exceptionally fair.

as far as all the bad press, imho those writing it are just giving me an outline of persons i will never take a food recommendation from... thank you.

all said as far as the bullshit with reservations and wait times, Lugers can be like trying to purchase a SS rolex... i am sure someone was not happy about waiting and decided to light them up in the press... sour grapes.
Old 18 November 2019, 07:37 AM   #113
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Lugers hasn't changed a bit imho... and it is exactly what i want in a steak house.

there are dozens of other steakhouses in nyc that will give you a good steak and many that won't come close.

BUT

when it comes to the complete package, all the sides with just the perfect complementary flavor, ONLY Lugers knocks it out of the park.

porterhouse for two
tomato & onion
shrimp cocktail
creamed spinach
home fries
apple strudel with schlage (to be fair the volume of schlag has been reduced since the renovation, you used to get a dump truck's worth and now its only a toyota pick up amount but i understand the original schlag room now seats 50 persons.)

as far as all the bad press, imho those writing it are just giving me an outline of persons i will never take a food recommendation from... thank you.

all said as far as the bullshit with reservations and wait times, Lugers can be like trying to purchase a SS rolex... i am sure someone was not happy about waiting and decided to light them up in the press... sour grapes.
Yes. Pete wells could not get a reservation and that is the reason for the review. Good lord the Luger fanboys are just as bad as the Rolex fanboys.
Old 18 November 2019, 08:01 AM   #114
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

BUT

porterhouse for two
tomato & onion
shrimp cocktail
creamed spinach
home fries

You hit it right on the head Gus
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 08:42 AM   #115
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
Slip the head waiter a ten dollar bill
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 09:04 AM   #116
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
You must not get out much, that might have worked in the 1930s
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 09:39 AM   #117
crew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Yikes! WAY overcooked, but whatever floats your boat.
Actually it wasn’t, that pic distorts the color.
I saw two people eating at the bar. One had ordered theirs rare and it was almost raw in the middle. The other was med-rare, which is how I normally order it, and it too was too rare for my taste. Ours was ordered medium and it was just about right. Bright pink in the center and very tender.
Old 18 November 2019, 10:40 AM   #118
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. Pete wells could not get a reservation and that is the reason for the review. Good lord the Luger fanboys are just as bad as the Rolex fanboys.
“Good lord” what a worthless reply.
Old 18 November 2019, 10:50 AM   #119
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
You hit it right on the head Gus
Old 18 November 2019, 10:52 AM   #120
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
In the flyover states that might work but Lugers, a fifty will work. A ten marks you as a tourist, a twenty as a frugal local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote