The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2020, 03:15 PM   #1
lamshanks
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Hublot vs Rolex

After collecting Daytonas, Sky Dwellers, Sea Dwellers, etc, etc from Rolex, a part of me is itching to expand the brands in my collection past Rolex and PP. Sure, those are the two brands where prices keep going up. But just in the mood to mix it up a bit. Also tired of always begging ADs to get that next rare PP/Rolex. Ever have that feeling?

Anyhow, at this point, I was considering adding a <gasp> Hublot. Not the overexposed Big Bang but the Mech-10 in blue or black ceramic. Most of me loves it. Manual wind. Innovative materials. Thinking to pull the trigger - but there's that little part of me that keeps thinking "Are you sure - it's an HUBLOT!!"

What do you guys think of the brand and that particular model?

(full transparency - thinking of adding yet another rolex - root beer in TT or this Mech 10 - love the root beer but again, ANOTHER Rolex??)

THX for your thoughts.
lamshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:21 PM   #2
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
I’d go AP next. Or Richard Mille. Then VC or Lange. Hublot is just so far off base right now.
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
I would not buy a watch that's owned by Moet
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Great watch but not the brand I would chose to venture out with. I buy what I like and if that's all Rolex so be it. I don't play into what collectors should do or have, I'm not a collector.

If you're a "collector" go for it, collect away. I buy watches I like and would enjoy, mostly that's Rolex, there's a Pam on it's way and hopefully a Speedmaster later on. I like these watches and I spend a huge amount of time researching and trying it out before purchase because I don't plan on selling. Hublot is too experimental for me, I'm more traditional. I get a kick at looking at Hubots in the store and in the media but never on my wrist.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:36 PM   #5
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
I have a Hublot. I bought it because I liked it. Was originally targeting a AP RO 41mm chrono but it just wore too small for me. I bought it in 2012. I regret not buying the AP as a better investment but I don't regret buying the Hublot either, as ultimately I bought what I like and still like.

Old 24 January 2020, 04:10 PM   #6
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
I have the classic fusion Hublot, and I love the way it looks on my wrist. It's a good, traditional black/stainless combo with a case that's just different enough that people notice it. I think they nailed the balance of angularity and smooth curves. I also have a TT root beer, so we must be brothers from different mothers. :)
Old 24 January 2020, 04:53 PM   #7
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
I mean, if you love it... fine (?)

I hope fans can forgive me for coming across as presumptuous, but to me, a Hublot's aesthetic looks like a "phase" people go through.

There are so many watch brands with great stuff to offer, especially on the vintage side.
Old 24 January 2020, 05:17 PM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamshanks View Post
After collecting Daytonas, Sky Dwellers, Sea Dwellers, etc, etc from Rolex, a part of me is itching to expand the brands in my collection past Rolex and PP. Sure, those are the two brands where prices keep going up. But just in the mood to mix it up a bit. Also tired of always begging ADs to get that next rare PP/Rolex. Ever have that feeling?

Anyhow, at this point, I was considering adding a <gasp> Hublot. Not the overexposed Big Bang but the Mech-10 in blue or black ceramic. Most of me loves it. Manual wind. Innovative materials. Thinking to pull the trigger - but there's that little part of me that keeps thinking "Are you sure - it's an HUBLOT!!"

(full transparency - thinking of adding yet another rolex - root beer in TT or this Mech 10 - love the root beer but again, ANOTHER Rolex??)

THX for your thoughts.

Absolute no to Hublot, especially when you are deciding between it and a Rolex.

The Hublot is almost $20K and unless you really 10000000% love it and will NEVER grow tired of it and try to move on from it, it is like burning money. You may not even be able to sell it, the brand is that weak. Rolex is red hot. Hublot is ice cold.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:33 PM   #9
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Where has the love for a watch gone nowadays? In years gone past, everyone bought a watch because they like it not because how much it was going to cost/gain/loose them.

Variety is the spice of life, but I guess this being a Rolex forum, Rolex will be the only winner
Old 24 January 2020, 05:33 PM   #10
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane75 View Post
I have the classic fusion Hublot, and I love the way it looks on my wrist. It's a good, traditional black/stainless combo with a case that's just different enough that people notice it. I think they nailed the balance of angularity and smooth curves. I also have a TT root beer, so we must be brothers from different mothers. :)
You have another brother... I have a CHNR too
Old 24 January 2020, 06:24 PM   #11
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I personally feel that the Hublot was a bit of a fad watch. People bought it because they wanted to show off. I am not saying that’s why you would buy it. But if you love the watch, screw what others think. Buy it, enjoy it, and if you get over it, sell it and move on.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:28 PM   #12
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007timer View Post
I personally feel that the Hublot was a bit of a fad watch. People bought it because they wanted to show off. I am not saying that’s why you would buy it. But if you love the watch, screw what others think. Buy it, enjoy it, and if you get over it, sell it and move on.

Good luck.

I actually bought mine before the hype after the heavy promotion of the brand sponsoring the world cup (football). I was quite upset about this, as I could no longer wear it without it being noticed.

I always buy watches because they attract me rather than for the flex value and as of such, the Hublot of mine gets very little wrist time nowadays. Maybe in a couple more years, the brand awareness will die down and I can wear it more again!
Old 24 January 2020, 08:59 PM   #13
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Absolute no to Hublot, especially when you are deciding between it and a Rolex.

The Hublot is almost $20K and unless you really 10000000% love it and will NEVER grow tired of it and try to move on from it, it is like burning money. You may not even be able to sell it, the brand is that weak. Rolex is red hot. Hublot is ice cold.
Hublot, whether you like it or not or whether it’s hot or not is still at a higher echelon of watchmaking than Rolex. but you are correct he will lose 50% of its value the moment he walks out the door and then probably another 10 to 15% within weeks.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:01 PM   #14
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
I actually bought mine before the hype after the heavy promotion of the brand sponsoring the world cup (football). I was quite upset about this, as I could no longer wear it without it being noticed.

I always buy watches because they attract me rather than for the flex value and as of such, the Hublot of mine gets very little wrist time nowadays. Maybe in a couple more years, the brand awareness will die down and I can wear it more again!
Really? where do you live where an average person would know let alone care what Hublot is? That’s fascinating.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:35 PM   #15
averynickt
Banned

Oh you opened the flood gates. You will find very little love for Hublot around here. Personally I don't get it, yes they are a new guy and copy designs like everyone else. But as others said, their watchmaking is top notch and blows many away. Just need to buy it right..preowned if possible otherwise have to save at least 25% if not more off msrp.

But since when did every watch purchase have to be about making money and going up in value? I have a Mido my wife bought me that gets the most wrist time. it was a $1400 watch, never more and def less now. I have a Royal Oak I bought about 30 months ago at a discount brand new from a AD, its clean as can be and could sell and profit 8k at least but I'm not. I love the watch but it isn't an everyday wear.

I personally like the Hublot. Sure would I buy an RM instead well hell yes if I could drop 150k on a watch. Good luck on your journey and buy what you enjoy.
averynickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:12 PM   #16
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Really? where do you live where an average person would know let alone care what Hublot is? That’s fascinating.
I live in London and the Hublot unfortunately (for me) is a brand widely recognised by the crowd that do the majority of the thefts. Like I said, luckily it's popularity is tailing off now, so soon I should be able to wear it again without a care in the world.

I think with you being in the USA you don't get to see much around the football (soccer) premier League scene of the UK. For a period it was a favourite brand of the highly paid footballers and team managers.

I have to say, that if I need to flex, the Hublot will open more doors for me than any of my Rolex ever could... (Sub C, Daytona C, SS skydweller, CHNR, TT Sd43).

Most people who know a Hublot see it as a more premium brand than Rolex. This I have experienced in UK and HK.
Old 24 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamshanks View Post

If you like it that is all that matters.

I have no interest in Hublot
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:21 PM   #18
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
If you like it - go for it! End of the day that is all that matters. Personally I like the Big Bang - always have. It would be the only watch I had - but it works in a rotation. It also adds diversity to a collection - and a different look and feel. Which is important.

I believe you really only need so many Subs/GMTs etc before you feel like you’re wearing the same watch everyday! Same with Patek. Having those bases ‘covered’ branch out!!!!

If you get in at the right price point (which I definitely recommend) they are very enjoyable pieces!

Good luck!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:22 PM   #19
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikoBake View Post
I’d go AP next. Or Richard Mille. Then VC or Lange. Hublot is just so far off base right now.
Why in God’s name would you suggest brands which cost more than the $13-14K a Meca 10 can be had for?

Care to clarify/justify what I’ve bolded?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:47 PM   #20
simpleman
"TRF" Member

Absolutely yes to Hublot - but only if you like it!
You feel attached to Rolex and all the other hyped bread and butter crap? Stay with it!
simpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 03:26 AM   #21
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

My collection includes a couple Rolexes, IWC, VC, Blancpain, Tudor, Zenith but my Hublot gets a ton of my wrist time.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:50 PM   #22
MCHI09
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I like the mech 10 a lot. Very cool movement / skeleton dial to look at. I wonder how much off a good AD may offer it at...
MCHI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 03:34 PM   #23
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Hublot, whether you like it or not or whether it’s hot or not is still at a higher echelon of watchmaking than Rolex. but you are correct he will lose 50% of its value the moment he walks out the door and then probably another 10 to 15% within weeks.
That's the problem here...in that the OP is on the fence about it and even has a Rolex he might consider instead.

What that tells me is that he is unsure.

Being unsure usually means that the purchase will end up in regret.

Regret usually ends up in wanting to move on from the watch and get something else.

In this case, with Hublot, it will cost him over $10K...or he may not even be able to move on at all and is "stuck" with a watch he doesn't want and gets bitter about the "nasty" watch market and gives up collecting...

How many times has this scenario played out?

Now, I realize that $10K is more than likely an insignificant sum to many members on the forum and the advise usually is do whatever you like...it's not that big a deal or whatever.

I guess I'm just offering a contrarian viewpoint due to the initial uncertainty regarding the purchase.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 03:53 PM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Anything but hublot
Old 25 January 2020, 05:56 PM   #25
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Hublot > a lot of Rolex models.

The brand cops it a bit from WIS, only because it's a popular thing to do. "Hublot copied AP". Ahh so did Patek...

Technically Hublot is on a higher level and on average they cost a lot more than most popular Rolex models. It's more popular with the younger crowd that's why after Rolex, Hublot has the most brand recognition amongst the public.

I don't own a Hublot, but I appreciate a few of their models and would easily pick them over 90 percent of Rolex models.
Old 25 January 2020, 07:40 PM   #26
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
Hublot > a lot of Rolex models.

The brand cops it a bit from WIS, only because it's a popular thing to do. "Hublot copied AP". Ahh so did Patek...

Technically Hublot is on a higher level and on average they cost a lot more than most popular Rolex models. It's more popular with the younger crowd that's why after Rolex, Hublot has the most brand recognition amongst the public.

I don't own a Hublot, but I appreciate a few of their models and would easily pick them over 90 percent of Rolex models.
Not really.
Genta designed for Patek, as he did for IWC, so it was only natural there’d be a correlation between the three.
His inspiration came from diver helmets, but Hublot (French for porthole) copied the theme, but took design from ship portholes.
Bear in mind that Hublot was already in existence when JCB joined, after selling Blancpain to Swatch Group, so the theme was there from the start in the form of the MDM model, which introduced the notion of gold with a rubber strap.

You can see where the ‘ears’ came from, and the bolts were changed to H screws.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:15 PM   #27
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Personally think that Hublot are well overpriced and way too trendy for me!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:54 PM   #28
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
The Meca 10 is a great watch. Lots of Hublots strengths combined in there:
* Classic Big Bang case design
* Innovative in-house movement w manual wind 10 day power reserve
* Movement built as skeleton & visible through sapphire dial
* Cutting edge materials (ceramics and/or magic gold)
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #29
Clasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
I live in London and the Hublot unfortunately (for me) is a brand widely recognised by the crowd that do the majority of the thefts. Like I said, luckily it's popularity is tailing off now, so soon I should be able to wear it again without a care in the world.

I think with you being in the USA you don't get to see much around the football (soccer) premier League scene of the UK. For a period it was a favourite brand of the highly paid footballers and team managers.

I have to say, that if I need to flex, the Hublot will open more doors for me than any of my Rolex ever could... (Sub C, Daytona C, SS skydweller, CHNR, TT Sd43).

Most people who know a Hublot see it as a more premium brand than Rolex. This I have experienced in UK and HK.

What you have written above and the recognition Hublot currently gets would make me quite happy in the knowledge of owning a Rolex and not the latest "in watch" as worn by footballers and others.

I remember the football casuals virtually destroying the Burberry brand for a long time something that's took ages and I'm sure a great deal of expense to recover from. This could easily happen again if not already with the overly exposed and often discounted Hublot. Remember Omega went down this route too.

Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:07 AM   #30
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clasper View Post
What you have written above and the recognition Hublot currently gets would make me quite happy in the knowledge of owning a Rolex and not the latest "in watch" as worn by footballers and others.

I remember the football casuals virtually destroying the Burberry brand for a long time something that's took ages and I'm sure a great deal of expense to recover from. This could easily happen again if not already with the overly exposed and often discounted Hublot. Remember Omega went down this route too.

Luckily trends come and go, such as the chavs no longer wearing Burberry. Hublot is not longer in the public eye either, I personally think it peaked around 3yrs ago. Soon will be a distant memory.

Look at Rolex now. No discount, no stock, premium at grey. This would not have been seen coming 10years ago. But that's fashion and trends. Rolex has always been a stable brand, I learnt this early from my Chinese roots, but the craze at the moment won't last for ever... I remember getting my first Rolex in 2000, DJ Oyster with black dial. 20% off too!

Luckily for me, I'm a savvy shopper and know market values. At the time of buying my Hublot, I got 30% off UK list. All my Rolex are from AD at list. Procurement of a watch is a first world problem and I will never pay premium for a current release model of any brand. If it's meant to be, it will be.