The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2019, 09:20 PM   #1
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Viewing a 16570 polar Exp II tomorrow

Checking out my local pre-owned dealer last weekend they had a 2000 P serial Explorer II, watch only for sale. It’s something I’ve been thinking about, adding the polar would diversify my all black dialed Exp I and 16710. The P appeals due to the lug holes yet SELs. Price was fair at $5k, haven’t seen any here that price from main dealers.

I suppose, for me, do I really care about B&Ps?
Would I be better to squirrel that 5k away towards a PM piece with lighter dial?
Isn’t my already 2 5-digit collection enough? Time to go 6?

These are the questions in my mind right now. Only I can make the choice but any thoughts on this I surely appreciate!
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
It’s a great watch. Price is just OK.
Don’t care about box so long as the price is discounted. Will you wear it? If you don’t see yourself wearing it often....don’t get it.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:02 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If the dealer is trust worthy and the watch he has for sell is as described, I don't think you can go wrong with it. You are in the fair market value for the watch and the box and manuals can be purchased online if you so desire. At the point that it needs a service and you go with the RSC you then have service papers and all would be good for a complete set. I would go check it out and if all was right I would buy it. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:38 PM   #4
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
It’s a great watch. Price is just OK.
Don’t care about box so long as the price is discounted. Will you wear it? If you don’t see yourself wearing it often....don’t get it.
It would definitely get wrist time, i like its aesthetics. From the case, it looked in good condition, with chamfers still on the lugs. I just didn’t have time to check it out. Will see how I feel when in the flesh.

Old 22 February 2019, 12:13 AM   #5
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

I recently picked up a polar from around that era with B&P for about $500 more so your price is pretty good in my opinion. Im not really hung up on papers but it is the one thing about a watch you cant buy/fix later.

If the watch has good lugs and the polished ring around the bezel then count yourself lucky and wear the watch proudly! I'm also looking for a 16710 to complement my 14060m and 16570 so I dont think these watches necessarily overlap each other.

Gmt for weekday, no date watch for weekends, and polar for travel or anything rough and tumble. Put the polar on an Everest rubber band and no one will look twice at it and you can wear it for anything "explorery" :)
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 12:19 AM   #6
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
It's a great watch. Are you ok with 36mm? If you are used to 40, that can be a bit of an adjustment. I absolutely love the Explorer. I think you'll know once you try it on and spend a little time with it. I have to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is all over the map on what to get next/ the direction of my collection. I looked at a DSSD and a 39mm OP the other night....and pretty much everything in between. Having a finite amount of money is really a drag on my watch collection.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:29 AM   #7
ejj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I wear a 16570 daily. It is sooooo comfortable. Similar to your GMT case size without the colored bezel, which makes it a little more under the radar.

IMHO the 5 digit expII and GMTs are the best Rolexes to wear these days--not too much money, built well, etc.
ejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:38 AM   #8
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Seems like a good deal. Love my T serial 16570. I bought head only on the cheap, sent to RSC for a full resto and bought a sel bracelet for it. Best of both worlds. Tritium dial with SEL and basically a brand new 22 year old watch. With the RSC service papers no need for original box and papers. Not that I care but at some point these will go up in value too.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:06 AM   #9
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
It's a great watch. Are you ok with 36mm? If you are used to 40, that can be a bit of an adjustment. I absolutely love the Explorer. I think you'll know once you try it on and spend a little time with it. I have to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is all over the map on what to get next/ the direction of my collection. I looked at a DSSD and a 39mm OP the other night....and pretty much everything in between. Having a finite amount of money is really a drag on my watch collection.

Sorry...I read that wrong. 5 digit polar Explorer II. That is an outstanding piece. You unfortunately could have saved about a Grand had you picked it up a year and a half ago. Price sounds about right.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:09 AM   #10
Ballzzz

If I’m the same hunt. I offered some guys here 4800 for decent examples but they are in the 5.2-6.4k range on TRF. I had one at 4.5 but it was rough no b&p as well. Price is fair in today’s conditions. I love this serial as well with holes caseband sel, good luck!
Old 23 February 2019, 03:34 PM   #11
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Thanks all,

I took a look at the watch and, well, is now on my wrist. I felt very good about the condition and price. I managed to bring him down to $4750 (526,000yen). Lug chamfers all in tact, sunburst bezel, clean lug holes. Clasp code confirms year 2000-2001. Trust the seller as I bought both my other Rolex's from there. On the machine, it was clocking 2+/- secs so all good there.

Some bracelet stretch (more than my Explorer and GMT Master.) and I reckon a couple of links are missing, I count 11 but ok for my 6.75 wrist.

Funny, in the end he had a look around for a box and came out with an old Rolex red one with flowers on the lid, hardly screams STEEL SPORTS PROFESSIONAL.

Somewhat of an unexpected incoming but felt good about it and I love the look on the wrist!
Old 23 February 2019, 03:36 PM   #12
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 February 2019, 04:07 PM   #13
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:41 PM   #14
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Congratulations!
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:03 PM   #15
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Dang- nice! I've been seriously thinking about the black dial version (or a 10460) as my first Rolex, but the more I look at online photos (in the last two days), I tend to be leaning towards the Polar... Which is opposite to what I've always wanted... I'm finding it's a bit harder to find clean (unpolished) examples the Polar than the black dial.

Reasons why I'm leaning to the Polar - even though I prefer black dials, and it really just dawned on me recently, I really think the stainless bezel works better with the white dial as well as the date window (white on white). I'll reserve the black dial for the 10460, and my PO 2500.

I'd love a chance to see both black and polar in person at the same time.

It's entirely possible I will change my mind again tomorrow.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:21 PM   #16
Noah860
"TRF" Member

I fricken love these 16570 polars. The combo of the bezel shine/sunburst reflection in the light, the white dial, and red gmt hand, together its perfection. Good pickup on this one. And congrats, everyone loves to chip down price a little.
Noah860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:59 AM   #17
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Congrats! Mine gets 90% of my write time and I still love it.
Old 24 February 2019, 01:12 AM   #18
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Saw your incoming. Congratulations again.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote