The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2019, 08:19 PM   #1
twidz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 18238
AD Peed me off!

I love watches and i occasionally pop into my local AD to look at watches, build rapport and just talk about watches as unfortunately within my circle, no one has a watch passion like me.

The AD i popped into wasn't my usual, but i did go in there once and the manager was so fantastic, i wanted to go and say hi, even though i've never bought from him.

So i went in and noticed he was with a customer and a Chinese lady who worked there advised he was busy and he had actually finished but his appointment ran over so he wouldn't be able to see me. Anyway i noticed she had a hulk on and as a watch enthusiast i was like wow, how did you get that! Not meaning it literally, more of a shock as i rarely see them in person. So she was like i bought it from here a few years ago but she wasn't rude but fairly abrupt.

Anyway i was like they are rare, what's the wait on them? She was like 5 years! I rolled my eyes (in my mind, not literally) because i thought, BS! If you wanted to get me one, you would. She was like any sub is a 4/5 year wait! I wanted to blurt out that my original AD who i go to has offered me 3 non date subs in the past 5 months (i eventually took 1). And then she went on to give me the old spiel that we look at your spending history and that determines what we offer you etc.

Ok i get that but how can i spend if you have watches that have no interest to me or that i can buy for substantially less elsewhere.

SO THIS IS WHERE I GOT PEEVED OFF!

I was like i'm picking up a gold day date tomorrow, i would never buy one brand new from an AD, not because i don't have the money, because as beautiful as they are, the depreciation is substantial compared to a SS sports model etc.

She looked at me with a bit of a mythed face and was like i don't know why English people do that, in China we buy everything new, we don't believe in 2nd hand. Well i was like, if i can save 2-3-4-5-6-7-7-8 grand on something, i will do. I have no ego, i will still enjoy it as much etc.

Further more, i will buy new but you have nothing i want! Get me a hulk, pepsi, batman, daytona bla bla and ill buy ALL of them right now ticket price but you wont so i cant buy them new unless i wanna bend over and pay grey prices and quite frankly i do not.

Further further more, Chinese people who come to the UK get 16.5% off fkin Rolex's due to VAT relief! Now bab im not being funny but if i was getting that discount off Rolex, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc, i'd be filling my boots!

Long story short, she made me feel a tw*t, like i couldn't afford to buy a watch new. I felt like i needed to justify myself.

Rant over. I will not be going back there again!
twidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:31 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

No offence but if you volunteer information to a sales person like 'I am buying a day-date second hand because it is so much cheaper...I would never buy one from an AD' they are not likely to treat you like a big spender.

If you know what you can and cannot afford there is no way she can make you feel like a tw@. You just end the interaction and move on.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:41 PM   #3
DYJ150
"TRF" Member

Interesting story...AD literally do not care..

I went into an AD in Bluewater to be basically told FO and get out the shop - The lady in there even had the audacity to look me up and down (I was wearing trainers).
DYJ150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:48 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
No offence but if you volunteer information to a sales person like 'I am buying a day-date second hand because it is so much cheaper...I would never buy one from an AD' they are not likely to treat you like a big spender.

If you know what you can and cannot afford there is no way she can make you feel like a tw@. You just end the interaction and move on.
Have to agree and IMHO many of these types of posts lately are more pie in the sky than anything.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

“Dysfunctional consultation”

These happen in life, to everyone and in the grand scheme of things, it’s no big deal.

Bear something in mind: we all have bad days. You don’t know anything about her or what’s going on in her life. So sure if somebody is flat out abusive or aggressive, chew them out, but otherwise, let it slide. Easier said than done sometimes. But it’s worth remembering what you yourself are like on your worst days.
Old 23 February 2019, 08:59 PM   #6
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twidz View Post
I love watches and i occasionally pop into my local AD to look at watches, build rapport and just talk about watches as unfortunately within my circle, no one has a watch passion like me.

The AD i popped into wasn't my usual, but i did go in there once and the manager was so fantastic, i wanted to go and say hi, even though i've never bought from him.

So i went in and noticed he was with a customer and a Chinese lady who worked there advised he was busy and he had actually finished but his appointment ran over so he wouldn't be able to see me. Anyway i noticed she had a hulk on and as a watch enthusiast i was like wow, how did you get that! Not meaning it literally, more of a shock as i rarely see them in person. So she was like i bought it from here a few years ago but she wasn't rude but fairly abrupt.

Anyway i was like they are rare, what's the wait on them? She was like 5 years! I rolled my eyes (in my mind, not literally) because i thought, BS! If you wanted to get me one, you would. She was like any sub is a 4/5 year wait! I wanted to blurt out that my original AD who i go to has offered me 3 non date subs in the past 5 months (i eventually took 1). And then she went on to give me the old spiel that we look at your spending history and that determines what we offer you etc.

Ok i get that but how can i spend if you have watches that have no interest to me or that i can buy for substantially less elsewhere.

SO THIS IS WHERE I GOT PEEVED OFF!

I was like i'm picking up a gold day date tomorrow, i would never buy one brand new from an AD, not because i don't have the money, because as beautiful as they are, the depreciation is substantial compared to a SS sports model etc.

She looked at me with a bit of a mythed face and was like i don't know why English people do that, in China we buy everything new, we don't believe in 2nd hand. Well i was like, if i can save 2-3-4-5-6-7-7-8 grand on something, i will do. I have no ego, i will still enjoy it as much etc.

Further more, i will buy new but you have nothing i want! Get me a hulk, pepsi, batman, daytona bla bla and ill buy ALL of them right now ticket price but you wont so i cant buy them new unless i wanna bend over and pay grey prices and quite frankly i do not.

Further further more, Chinese people who come to the UK get 16.5% off fkin Rolex's due to VAT relief! Now bab im not being funny but if i was getting that discount off Rolex, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc, i'd be filling my boots!

Long story short, she made me feel a tw*t, like i couldn't afford to buy a watch new. I felt like i needed to justify myself.

That was like maybe not a story that made the point that like you might have intended.
bezler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:01 PM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You are like thousand others who want a BLRO, Daytona, Hulk but don't give any incentive to this AD to sell you one. You will never get one from any AD if you sing this song
Old 23 February 2019, 09:02 PM   #8
Dean88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYJ150 View Post

I went into an AD in Bluewater to be basically told FO and get out the shop - The lady in there even had the audacity to look me up and down (I was wearing trainers).
Haha ADs in London and surrounding areas can be shocking I had a similar experience in Westfield shepherds Bush, I was dressed very casual and I could feel their eyes burning me as if I should be there, they seem to forget they are working in retail they do not own the shop
Dean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
No one is entitled to a SS Rolex. ADs can do what they want, and they didn’t want to serve you up a hard to get piece. Their choice, unfortunately for you, just move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:25 PM   #10
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
No one is entitled to a SS Rolex. ADs can do what they want, and they didn’t want to serve you up a hard to get piece. Their choice, unfortunately for you, just move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This should be written in a TRF message prompt that pops up for acknowledgement every time someone opens the page.... maybe it would cut down on the threads since we all get it
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:35 PM   #11
CharlieB93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYJ150 View Post

This is my AD, and they have been nothing but helpful I managed to pick up a hulk in January too!
CharlieB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:35 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Like ... really?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:37 PM   #13
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
I think sadly, that type of treatment is not that uncommon here.
Having just gone to a local AD myself yesterday they are no better.
I think the OP should go back there another day, nice and casual, wearing his ND and perhaps strike up a nice converstation with the manager and see where it goes.
The salepeople are there to sell watches, I realise they give priority to who they like, but that is the game today.
Good Luck from a fellow Brummie, it was nice to see "bab" in the forum!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:46 PM   #14
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
I don't expect any special treatment when I visit somebody's store. If I'm given any special treatment then that's a bonus. Life's too short to worry about such things.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:47 PM   #15
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If all you want to do is ask questions you already know the answer to, talk about something you are buying somewhere else, you may as well just find a stranger on the bus to talk to.

The manager who indulged you was busy, it was probably time to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:56 PM   #16
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

The manager of the AD I like wears a Hulk, it is not a million miles from you, but I know he bought it about 4 years ago when it was sat in the window and no-one wanted it!
He just gets asked regularly if he wants to sell it, probably by walk-ins who think he just treated himself to it just now, off list!

Last edited by Daveclock; 23 February 2019 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: typo - fat fingers!
Old 23 February 2019, 10:00 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post

+1

only buying stuff at retail that is worth above retail would make any AD pass on that business. Plenty of other potential customers

Its true but buying a DD second hand and buying a Hulk at an AD is the same thing. Shopping at the sale rack. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is and you told them.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:06 PM   #18
mrblue
"TRF" Member

Seems like you set yourself up for failure. Why give all the unnecessary details to a stranger? She isn't a doctor she is a salesperson. I'm sure she has no interest in you other than selling you something.
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:13 PM   #19
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I bought my hulk 5 years ago when nobody wanted it.

I distinctly remember the talk, even on this forum and new turfers being along the lines of... green, who wants green, it doesn't even go with anything i wear....

Especially back then when the 50th anniversary maxi dial green bezel sub was sitting in the same window, people went for the 50th because of the nostalgia.

Anyway. AD's today. Its like everyone is saying, right now is NOT a good time to be a rolex watch collector. Unless of course you happen to have bought everything or most of your watches from one place.

I really dislike the notion that money talks but sadly in this case it does.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:16 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
No AD is going to encourage you to buy second hand, and then you roll out the flipper's Xmas list as your I'm not poor defensive retort... I know you were flummoxed but you really couldn't have said more wrong things. Still, if you want a DD then you are one of the lucky ones as this can be bought in a decent manner.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:19 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I bought my hulk 5 years ago when nobody wanted it.

I distinctly remember the talk, even on this forum and new turfers being along the lines of... green, who wants green, it doesn't even go with anything i wear....

Especially back then when the 50th anniversary maxi dial green bezel sub was sitting in the same window, people went for the 50th because of the nostalgia.

Anyway. AD's today. Its like everyone is saying, right now is NOT a good time to be a rolex watch collector. Unless of course you happen to have bought everything or most of your watches from one place.

I really dislike the notion that money talks but sadly in this case it does.
Yes, even just a couple of years ago people would almost apologetically announce the green incoming, but now people are so grateful and over the moon to have landed one, just shows how powerful exclusivity/scarcity is on the psyche, and on the one hand, I am glad I have mine and all the SS I want, but on the other I kind of envy these new guys who are getting this extra kick from landing such a hot watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:20 PM   #22
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Dont let it get to u bro. Just do u. Breathe in breathe out...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:24 PM   #23
peterpl
Banned

Worst time EVER in history to be buying any Rolex/AP or Patek.

Just wait it out.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB93 View Post
This is my AD, and they have been nothing but helpful I managed to pick up a hulk in January too!
It’s my AD n’all and I picked up the exact same watch in early January too.

Shortage schmortage
Old 23 February 2019, 10:36 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean88 View Post
Haha ADs in London and surrounding areas can be shocking I had a similar experience in Westfield shepherds Bush, I was dressed very casual and I could feel their eyes burning me as if I should be there, they seem to forget they are working in retail they do not own the shop
IMO this says more about the confidence level of people entering the shop than anything. I wear whatever and no one cares. They can tell im serious and i know what im talking about pretty quickly.

honestly the only negative thing i get is when they hear my american accent as then they assume i am a tourist. Other than that, i can go in wearing flipflops and no one acts like i dont belong.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:37 PM   #26
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It’s my AD n’all and I picked up the exact same watch in early January too.

Shortage schmortage
Jeeze its like playing watch poker with the AD
Old 23 February 2019, 10:43 PM   #27
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
Jeeze its like playing watch poker with the AD
I have no empirical data (aside from two LVc’s sold in the same month from the same AD which slightly surprises me but supports my claim) but I’m sure there are no fewer watches around now than five years ago.

It’s just that, back then it was the customer who chose whether or not they buy. Now it’s the AD that chooses.

I’m not saying that’s in any way a good thing. It’s just a thing currently.
Old 23 February 2019, 10:43 PM   #28
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
You can’t go to an AD whose livelihood relies on them selling watches, brag to them that you are buying a day-date from somewhere else, and expect them to fall at your feet.
Would you really expect an AD to applaud you for not buying your watch from them?
Old 23 February 2019, 11:05 PM   #29
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
Seems like you set yourself up for failure. Why give all the unnecessary details to a stranger? She isn't a doctor she is a salesperson. I'm sure she has no interest in you other than selling you something.
Precisely ... the AD is the last person I'd want to impress to get into their good books. This is just business to them and they hardly share the same passion & knowledge.

If money isn't the issue, i'd rather just buy from a grey dealer & enjoy the watch, instead of going head-on with this AD issue.

Lastly, isn't the 16.5% VAT refund for all tourists regardless if they're Chinese, Aussie, Indian, Russian, American etc etc ? Similiarly Brits get a tax refund too if they shop in most parts of Asia.
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:18 PM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by twidz View Post

The AD will be glad you do not go back and it sounds like expensive high end luxury jewelry is not your issue.

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote