The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 December 2017, 07:57 PM   #1
peterpl
Banned

Possible trade - thoughts please

Hi Gents,

OK I've been thinking about this possible trade for quite some time now. I want to upgrade to a 116618LB and was thinking about trading both my 116613LB and 116713LN for it.

Few questions

1) Would it be possible for a straight trade for these 2 for the 116618LB? The LB I see is listed for around $23-$24k NIB or Mint. Pretty sure if I was serious buyer $22k would do the trick.

They are both in very good condition and minimal marks which a light polish would easily make them look new. GTM2c is dated August 2015. Bluesy dated Sept 2016.

2) If not a direct swap how much is a fair amount to add on top of those 2? A few grand? I'm hoping a direct swap would be possible.

116613LB & 116713LN

SWAP FOR

peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 08:27 PM   #2
meganfox17
Banned

I think you've gone mad...
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 08:28 PM   #3
WatchObsess
"TRF" Member

Full gold is beautiful but for me it is hard to wear in all situations so I wouldn't do the trade. The bluesy you have has the exact same dial and bezel without being too loud. However, if that 116618lb won't be your only piece, I'd say go for it. You can always sell it easily down the line.

For how much to top up, I would say 3k max depending on the dealer.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
WatchObsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 08:30 PM   #4
MonBK
Banned

An even trade, you can always dream.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 09:07 PM   #5
nocampo
"TRF" Member

Your two beautiful pieces + cash to trade for one, I would NOT do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 09:16 PM   #6
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Well, I'm not a fan of two tone. I can't comment on the financial side as to whether it's a good deal or not but I would make the trade if you're happy with the numbers.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 10:05 PM   #7
peterpl
Banned

Hmmm many ppl advisng me not to do it. LOL

Honestly thats why it has taken me so long to decide. The 13LB has the exact same dial and bezel as the 18LB so effectively I'm trading another watch + money to switch out the case to full gold only.

So it seems a straight swap may not be possible. I think the maximum I could do if I was going to do it would be these 2 + $3k cash anymore and it wouldnt make any sense I think.

Tough choice.
Old 23 December 2017, 10:07 PM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Hmmm many ppl advisng me not to do it. LOL

Honestly thats why it has taken me so long to decide. The 13LB has the exact same dial and bezel as the 18LB so effectively I'm trading another watch + money to switch out the case to full gold only.

So it seems a straight swap may not be possible. I think the maximum I could do if I was going to do it would be these 2 + $3k cash anymore and it wouldnt make any sense I think.

Tough choice.
Add another 2 -3k and I think it's doable.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 10:12 PM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

First of all you won't get a 116618LB for 22K. Second, if trading those 2 you will need to add some cash. Contact some of the established sellers here and find a deal that is acceptable.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 10:12 PM   #10
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I wouldn’t do it, I have been down that road before and did.

All that is going to happen is you will be immediately planning for another piece to buy for when you can’t wear your PM Sub.

If you had more pieces than pictured, then that may be a different story.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 10:15 PM   #11
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
First of all you won't get a 116618LB for 22K.
You sure about this? When I bought my DD40 and my Skydweller I got a few thousand reduction from the asking price from Trusted Sellers no problems.
Old 23 December 2017, 10:17 PM   #12
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
If you had more pieces than pictured, then that may be a different story.
I also have a RG DD40 Choco dial and a RG Skydweller on Bracelet with Sundust dial.

So as you can see I love PM pieces.

But yes you are right. These TT pieces I wear moreso in environments where my full gold pieces are not appropriate. If I flipped both of these I wouldn't have any SS models to pick from.

Hmmmm.........first world problems hey...
Old 23 December 2017, 10:26 PM   #13
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
First of all you won't get a 116618LB for 22K. Second, if trading those 2 you will need to add some cash. Contact some of the established sellers here and find a deal that is acceptable.
There is 2017 unworn on ebayUK for £22,450

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 10:36 PM   #14
Maiden
"TRF" Member

It is a tough one. For me the 116613 lb is a more stunning watch than the full gold model. I chose to go with a day date for my full PM. Seeing you own a few other PM pieces I would keep the bluesy, still stunning with that beautiful dial but rugged enough for more robust activities or in situations where you don’t want full PM. If you really crave a full gold sub you could also trade one of your other PM pieces for a full gold black dial 116618ln and keep the bluesy. Now we’re talkin!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 10:44 PM   #15
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
It is a tough one. For me the 116613 lb is a more stunning watch than the full gold model. I chose to go with a day date for my full PM. Seeing you own a few other PM pieces I would keep the bluesy, still stunning with that beautiful dial but rugged enough for more robust activities or in situations where you don’t want full PM. If you really crave a full gold sub you could also trade one of your other PM pieces for a full gold black dial 116618ln and keep the bluesy. Now we’re talkin!
Hahahaha dont make the choice harder man!!! I've already been thinking of this trade for more than 3 months LOL

I cant flip the DD40 or the SkyD. I love them both too much. I dont wear the GMT2c as much to be completely honest - most days its the 116613LB or the DD40.

Maybe I will do this trade and get myself a BLNR or HULK for SS watch?
Old 23 December 2017, 10:48 PM   #16
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I would do the trade in a heartbeat.
I recently purchased the 13LB but only because I can't quite afford the 18LB at this time.
Between the DD40 and the 18LB it's my ultimate goal to one day own a full PM Rolex watch.
The DD40 is awesome but the 18LB is even more awsomererer...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 10:52 PM   #17
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
I also have a RG DD40 Choco dial and a RG Skydweller on Bracelet with Sundust dial.

So as you can see I love PM pieces.

But yes you are right. These TT pieces I wear moreso in environments where my full gold pieces are not appropriate. If I flipped both of these I wouldn't have any SS models to pick from.

Hmmmm.........first world problems hey...
I think I would then only use one of them as a trade. Perhaps the TT sub in order to reduce redundancy with the blue dial and then you would have the GMT for those situations previously discussed.

Fantastic collection!!!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 11:03 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think on the trade you are considering, you are 2-4K below where an established TS will be on a trade for the 116618LB. If it means that much to you go for it. I would decide between the DD40 and the Sky-Dweller and trade that watch toward a 116618LN. Keep the 116613LB, same dial and bezel as the 116618LB, and add the GMT to the trade. Pick up your 116618LN and a Hulk, BLNR, SD43 or other desirable watch. This would leave you with a RG model, a YG model, a TT Submariner with the blue and a new SS watch. A nice collection that touches a lot of bases. The Sky-Dweller would be the watch I moved, and I did when I owned the WG and YG. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 11:23 PM   #19
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now you’re talking. Do the trade and also get a Hulk.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 11:28 PM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Probably cost you 6k to do that swap. Then another 6k for an explorer 1 to beat on
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 11:35 PM   #21
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Probably cost you 6k to do that swap.
$6k on top of those 2 watches? LOL - I would be getting screwed bigtime I would think with that. If that was indeed the case I wouldnt do it for sure.

I'll probably just flip the GMT then and just save for a Patek 5980. No point losing so much money on a flip.

Thanks gents for all the suggestions. As said above the DD40 and the RG SkyD is off the table. I love them too much. I guess I'll wait to see how much money I make on Cryptocurrencies in 2018 before I decide. Then a $6k difference is not much. :)
Old 23 December 2017, 11:43 PM   #22
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I honestly don't see the sense in flipping those 2 for a full gold sub. You have to ask yourself what is the real reason - is it to be more flashy / have a great f#@* off piece (as Archieluxury would say), achievement, etc.

I think going for something different that others don't have, something with a complication or other higher end horology brand than Rolex.

I would second Patek, possibly AP if you don't have one already or a Piaget Polo 45 which is my favourite watch for all situations
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 11:53 PM   #23
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
I honestly don't see the sense in flipping those 2 for a full gold sub. You have to ask yourself what is the real reason - is it to be more flashy / have a great f#@* off piece (as Archieluxury would say), achievement, etc.
None of these reasons mate. I already have 2 pieces for that purpose. LOL

Nah in all honestly I just like the look of all gold piece with the blue face/dial. The 116613LB was actually one of my first loves but the 116618LB was my must have from day one.

Before I make any rash decisions I'll think about it more. I was hoping to do this trade on my next visit to the states. I'm buying some real estate over there even though I'm from Australia so was going to take both watches and do the trade. :)
Old 23 December 2017, 11:58 PM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Of course I say do it.

Getting a BLNR or LVc with it is a great idea, I did the same with the LVc.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 12:01 AM   #25
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Of course I say do it.
Getting a BLNR or LVc with it is a great idea, I did the same with the LVc.
I knew you were going to post your LB to add fuel to my desire!!! b@stard! hahaha :P - your pictures are a big contributing factor I cant stop thinking about it.
Old 24 December 2017, 12:10 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I knew you were going to post your LB to add fuel to my desire!!! b@stard! hahaha :P - your pictures are a big contributing factor I cant stop thinking about it.
Right back at you, mate, with your pics! It's a cracking watch and one PM is better than 2 TTs imho. Price here has moved up a few grand on this YG Subc in the last few months so you might need to add more cash, but you should also get more for your TTs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 12:16 AM   #27
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:

Now that sounds like a good plan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 December 2017, 12:18 AM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

You are not going to change the real world look that much from your Bluesy. That said, I understand the lust of a solid gold Sub and you already know the look the blue sunburst dial gives you. My advise is if you really love the sunburst dial a lot more than your GMT, then doing a 2 for 1 + cash trade isn’t a crazy idea. You are somewhat educated in what to expect with the blue sunburst and how it fits into your style and make sure you are o.k with minor wear marks the 18k Sub will easily pick up in every day wear. That is a ocd question you have to answer. Everyone says it won’t bother them at first but make sure you are being totally honest cause that first good ding in solid 18k from everyday wear is gonna hurt.
Be warned that you will be adding a considerable amount of cash plus your two watches to make this happen. The trade in value of TT watches are not good. I just went through this.
Old 24 December 2017, 12:34 AM   #29
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Alot of two tone owners take thst plunge ........and never look back but its gonna cost u 5-7k at least
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 12:50 AM   #30
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Great move

Get a fair deal and go for it.