The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2019, 08:52 AM   #31
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

No, just the opposite. I often get asked if I want to sell the one on my wrist.
Old 23 February 2019, 08:55 AM   #32
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Not intimidated one bit, in fact everyone in the AD knows me. We communicate on a regular basis. Stopped in today and had a wonderful time talking about Skydweller's perpetual date, Daytonas and lady presidents.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:56 AM   #33
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Never! If you’re comfortable cultivating a relationship you shouldn’t be intimidated. Especially if it deals with only you parting with your cash for a fine timepiece. The worst that will happen is you leave the place without buying anything.

It’s not a job interview.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:58 AM   #34
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Yes I’m too afraid, so I just buy online LOL jk

F-No, it’s just a watch.....it a passion, don’t let anyone make you feel small. It’s your money and they need you ALOT more then you need a watch
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:59 AM   #35
gastown604
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdizzle92 View Post
I've had a few experiences where they say something absurd like "sure I can put you on the wait list but its going to be a 2 year wait" "we need a 50-100% deposit and we are not guaranteeing delivery of your watch by x time" I understand the current market environment but after a few experiences like this I rather not bother at all to be honest..
Sounds like Palladio. That's their standard response to tell you to go away.

None of the ADs in Vancouver will sell you one unless you spend some money on some other stuff in the store today, or have good purchase histories with them before. The waitlist is useless too because the SS watches are offered to high spenders first before the waitlist people.
gastown604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:59 AM   #36
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdizzle92 View Post
Does anyone else feel intimiated going to an AD?
No

There is no reason to.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:05 AM   #37
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

I feel it as well. Mostly if I'm not ready to buy and am just window shopping. Repeat visits and getting to know the staff, or at least the vibe of the store, makes it go away. I have no trouble browsing the Omega Boutique now :)
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:07 AM   #38
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

I've been to every Vancouver AD, and there's no need to be intimidated. There have been one or two arrogant sales staff, but they are the exception rather than the norm. Most are very pleasant.

I recently chatted with a manager at one AD for over an hour. I wasn't after any hot pieces or relationship. He told me during our conversation that because of the abundance of disposable wealth in this city, many clients come in wanting the hot piece but have no clue what the name of the watch even is. They just want what everyone else is after. So when a watch guy walks through his doors, it's always a pleasant experience for him to talk watches.

But don't ever fall for their offer to give them an interest free loan even with a promise of delivery. That's just all BS tactics.
F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:09 AM   #39
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I enjoy visiting my Rolex AD. They are nice people and I like to hear about what's going on with them and their families. And when I'm interested in buying a watch or some jewelry for my wife, I let them know what I'm looking for. Watch buying should be a pleasure and reward for hard work well done.
Old 23 February 2019, 09:16 AM   #40
mikeyatc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Why would anyone be intimated by a salesman?
mikeyatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:21 AM   #41
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Nope. No AD close to me so when I am in the city and have a few minutes I stop by. One of the salesman has been there for like 30 years. Even though I rarely stop in and have only bought a couple pieces from them over the years, he always remembers me and is always nice and willing to show me what I want to see. I bought my first Sub from them back in the 80's.
Last time was a few months back. We had a discussion about the current market. It was clear he was frustrated with all the craziness. They sell PP too so he was talking about he endless calls he gets from all over the world from people looking for hot models. They only sell to local folks. He asked if I wanted to be on the list for the BLRO and I declined--I will wait it out.

Buying a luxury item should be an enjoyable experience.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:27 AM   #42
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
No. Its just a store.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:34 AM   #43
Trepang
"TRF" Member

Never a problem with an AD when I was looking. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Years ago, I went to the Dodge dealer unshaven and in ratty clothes to buy a new $70K diesel pickup and got an attitude from the salesman. No problem - I bought it from another dealer.

My wife was humping my leg for a new Audi Q5. She picked me up at the marine as soon as I backed the charter boat in from running a trip. Went to the Annapolis Audi dealer dressed like a fish bum with blood splatter clothes. They treated her well and looked at me like I had the plague. They got kinda snooty when they said they would need to run our credit before we went any further - then they offered me coffee when I told them that was unnecessary as we would be writing a check for the car.

Its actually kinda fun
Trepang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:37 AM   #44
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Why would we feel intimidated? We have what they need, they only have what we want. And currently, they don’t even have that.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:38 AM   #45
Chloe&Harley

Watch: Milgauss white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Well I usually arrive via piggyback ride on my manservant.
Chloe&Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:42 AM   #46
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Never has never will..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:21 AM   #47
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I am not intimidated but generally I don't like Rolex AD's.
They usually annoy me by their ignorance or just plain BS and I find it not worth it wasting my time.

Nowadays you can have everything you wish delivered next day at your doorstep, works best for me.
Old 23 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #48
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Nope not at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:23 AM   #49
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
AD's serve but 1 purpose and only one...

For you to go in and have a look...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:33 AM   #50
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
This.

At every watch dealer I almost always get asked this question: "what do you wear now?" As soon as I get asked that question I show them the Rolex on my wrist. I almost always and instantly get the "we approve" look from the sales person.

To people who sell watches, they are naturally attuned to the watch they see on their customers and the value it carries. I don't find this to be either good or bad; just the way it is. Lacking too many things to assess you, people will assess you based on obvious things they see on you with which they can associate values.

Another way to "un-intimidate" yourself in front of the AD sales person is to showcase your knowledge about the watch. Be knowledgeable about the movement, the features, what is hot/what is not, the design, etc. It lets them know you are not an uninformed buyer with money; knowledge commands respect.

This here hits the nail on the head. When I wore my Batman or hulk they would talk more at my non normal ad. They know one of 2 things either you paid over retail or you buy a lot of watches to get ahold of one
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:12 AM   #51
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepang View Post
Never a problem with an AD when I was looking. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Years ago, I went to the Dodge dealer unshaven and in ratty clothes to buy a new $70K diesel pickup and got an attitude from the salesman. No problem - I bought it from another dealer.

My wife was humping my leg for a new Audi Q5. She picked me up at the marine as soon as I backed the charter boat in from running a trip. Went to the Annapolis Audi dealer dressed like a fish bum with blood splatter clothes. They treated her well and looked at me like I had the plague. They got kinda snooty when they said they would need to run our credit before we went any further - then they offered me coffee when I told them that was unnecessary as we would be writing a check for the car.

Its actually kinda fun
I always always always tell the dealers right off the bat "I want the cash out the door price" or just make it clear I'm not leasing or financing. Letting the car salesman know you can write a check for what they're selling they can save that "what is payment budget" and "how much do you owe on your current car" bullsh_t. To be honest, taking all their leverage away right at the start helps. Also doesn't hurt to say you're looking at many different types of cars and just "looking for the best deal" off MSRP. I told the Audi guy I was looking at a Chevy Tahoe, Accord and a 340i...

Consumer credit is a weird thing... People think they are getting a favor from the place because "they kept my payment under $400 a month"
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:26 AM   #52
RolexNinja7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
This.

At every watch dealer I almost always get asked this question: "what do you wear now?" As soon as I get asked that question I show them the Rolex on my wrist. I almost always and instantly get the "we approve" look from the sales person.
Now try this with a $50K APRO. The sales staff will jump to their feet and ask if you want champagne/whiskey/sparkling water while waving over their store manager or owner
RolexNinja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:28 AM   #53
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Never !

I know without a second thought that ...

- I know more than the sales staff about watches
- I have more spending power than them
- my collection is far superior to theirs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:33 AM   #54
Montes
"TRF" Member

I guess it depends on which AD you go to. As a salesman, you have to be aggressive so I have noticed that every time I go into an AD store, I get greeted right away and have someone walk up to me to ask what I am looking for. Once I answer "I am just looking" they kind of back up and just wait for me to ask a question lol. I guess the "intimidating" part is felt when you know you are not buying anything, just looking, and don't want to waste someone's time.
Montes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:36 AM   #55
efes9
"TRF" Member

One of my good friends is the GM at a local AD, and while I am not uncomfortable, there is a aura at the AD that could make one feel less than comfortable (all the expensive watches, the displays, the "formal-ness" of the whole thing). I have gone into other AD's (locally and when travelling abroad), and always felt even less comfortable (my hulk, GMT, or Day-Date help "break the ice" but I still feel like a 3 year old in a glass Museum). Way more comfortable at Porsche or Ferrari, but I think I am more of gearhead vs a watch-man...
efes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:39 AM   #56
RolexNinja7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/Breitling
Also, the AD sales people acting snobby is all "power-tripping". Often seen at the TSA security check points and DMV offices... Those people want to feel they got power over you.. very sad.
RolexNinja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:40 AM   #57
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Yeah, the little minimum wage blonde behind the counter truly terrifies me... LOL!
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:56 AM   #58
Tonyfsu21
Banned

IMHO, screw the AD experience. I prefer calling or texting my TS and my watch arriving to my front door 24 hours later. No BS, no judgement at all. I would personally pay a premium for that. I’ve got no time to deal with salespeople face to face for a f’ing wristwatch.
Tonyfsu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 12:07 PM   #59
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Sometimes, I will go in, acknowledge the presence of the armed guard and make small talk with the sales staff, "hey, whatcha wearing today?" And if they have a ROLEX on their wrist, I will say, "Nice Omega" - that gets a chuckle, but the face expression = priceless !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 12:12 PM   #60
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Nope. I bought my subc in Austin TX a few years ago. I dress super casually. Tactical pants, another way to say cargo pants, that were dirty from yard work, old hiking boots, sweaty T shirt. Went straight to Rolex counter and talked watches. Bought the subc. Left never to be seen again.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote