The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Need Forum opinions - 5 digit or 6 digit bluesy and why?

Going through some 5 digit longing right now as well as wanting to put a blue dial 2 tone back in the arsenal. Let's talk this through... I know the advantages of the 6 digit C case and bracelet, but there is something about some of the 5 digit blue dials depending on the series etc.. that are very cool.. What would you do, what have you done, and why?
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:17 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP

5 digit all the way. Just a classic in every way. This is an A series - and the dial is starting to turn purplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:20 AM   #3
nick800
"TRF" Member

Six because

nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:21 AM   #4
KKholiday77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yourself
I have a 5 digit bluesy and have often thought of trading & adding $ for the 6 digit. I can’t bring myself to do it though. The sunburst dial on the 5 digit is much more mesmerizing than the 6 digit to me. The bezel also is a better match to the dial on the 5 than the 6. I have a few other watches in my arsenal and no intention of letting the 5 go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KKholiday77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:27 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
6 digit. Heft and bracelet construction along with bezel being ceramic. I don't apologize for not being a purist. Lugs and crown guards doing have to be skinny to work.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:44 AM   #6
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
5 digit hands down. The 6 digit just didn’t sing to me like the 5 digit did. The dial is simply amazing compared to the washed out six digit. Proportional to your wrist and just fits and looks better than the 6 digit. The bracelet is much more durable and the 6 digit and doesn’t scratch as easily. Find a mint, papers, box 2008 M with the engraved Rehaut. Has the 18k all through the Buckle as well. These will command a much higher premium in the future in excellent shape. I believe this is the best of the best of the 5 digit Bluesy! Here is a pic of my mint 2008 M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 23106815-0880-40B9-A05D-51523487D075.jpeg (124.9 KB, 321 views)
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 12:20 PM   #7
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post

5 digit all the way. Just a classic in every way. This is an A series - and the dial is starting to turn purplish.

I love when the dial starts to turn that way, that's part of my attraction to the 5 digit! Thanks!
Old 23 February 2019, 12:20 PM   #8
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
I love when the dial starts to turn that way, that's part of my attraction to the 5 digit! Thanks!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
5 digit hands down. The 6 digit just didn’t sing to me like the 5 digit did. The dial is simply amazing compared to the washed out six digit. Proportional to your wrist and just fits and looks better than the 6 digit. The bracelet is much more durable and the 6 digit and doesn’t scratch as easily. Find a mint, papers, box 2008 M with the engraved Rehaut. Has the 18k all through the Buckle as well. These will command a much higher premium in the future in excellent shape. I believe this is the best of the best of the 5 digit Bluesy! Here is a pic of my mint 2008 M.
Thanks! Looka Awesome!!
Old 23 February 2019, 12:23 PM   #10
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Having owned both and I would go 6 digit if I were to go for it again. Much more brilliant but a lot of bling. The glare off the bezel ring can be seen across the parking lot kind of sharp.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 12:23 PM   #11
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! Looka Awesome!!
Old 23 February 2019, 12:23 PM   #12
dollar919
"TRF" Member

Currently have the 6 digit...used to have the 5 digit. glidelock is the way to go!
dollar919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:37 PM   #13
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d give serious thought to chnr. 6 digit for the blues
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:43 PM   #14
nick c
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
5 digits so sexy
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:47 PM   #15
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback , this is what I'm looking for, found a really nice "A" serial from 99 but no rehaut. And yes there is a difference in the bracelet I believe as well.
Old 23 February 2019, 02:49 PM   #16
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So what's your thought on a 1999 A serial VS a last run 2008 M ? - I've located a very nice A serial.
Old 23 February 2019, 04:51 PM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If you are looking for the purple fade of the 5 series buy one which is already purple. Otherwise you might wait years and years to fade if ever it does

I'd go with the 6 series for all the known arguments, two totally different watches, it's wise to try them on before you buy
Old 23 February 2019, 04:58 PM   #18
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
If you are looking for the purple fade of the 5 series buy one which is already purple. Otherwise you might wait years and years to fade if ever it does

I'd go with the 6 series for all the known arguments, two totally different watches, it's wise to try them on before you buy
Old 23 February 2019, 05:04 PM   #19
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
5-digit all the way.

6-digit is very nice but 5-digit is just perfection.

I sold mine because I never felt comfortable with gold but man isn't that blue dial just amazing.

Old 23 February 2019, 07:44 PM   #20
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Had both.. if again I'd have a 5.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:19 PM   #21
Ljung
"TRF" Member

5 digit, because of the yellowish date wheel which i feel matches the bezel yellow text better.
Ljung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:21 PM   #22
Dean88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I’d give serious thought to chnr. 6 digit for the blues
Agreed, CHNR is much nicer in my opinion
Dean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:32 PM   #23
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Need Forum opinions - 5 digit or 6 digit bluesy and why?

I prefer the 5 digit Bluesy due to the proportions. I had a z-series and just bought a m-series with a richer deeper blue dial and engraved rehaut. Cheers!
Old 23 February 2019, 11:45 PM   #24
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

6 digit would be my preference.
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:26 AM   #25
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So what's your thought on a 1999 A serial VS a last run 2008 M ? - I've located a very nice A serial.
I believe the 1999 has a holes case and not solid. Gold not all the way through Buckle. Rehaut was only engraved in 2008. Does it have service history? Will be about $2K - $4k less (depends on condition) than a 2008 M which go from $9,500 - $12,000 in excellent nick with all boxes, papers and hang tags. Personally I would save my money to get a 2008 M complete set if I were you. 2008 M are hard to find complete and may take some time locating one. Still a great watch either way.
Old 24 February 2019, 12:37 AM   #26
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116619
6 digit has better wrist presence.
Headhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:40 AM   #27
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Had the 5. Traded up to six. Very happy.

Old 24 February 2019, 12:44 AM   #28
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
6. Not close unless it's a Serti dial. Solid link bracelet, far better clasp, maxi dial and glidelock, plus that ceramic bezel will last longer than you.

I'm not one for watch purism so take it with some salt but they really did right when they updated this watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3356.jpeg (230.2 KB, 149 views)

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 12:48 AM   #29
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I recently wrestled with this. 6 digit won. Clasp, solid links, ceramic...it sung to me
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:04 AM   #30
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I looked at and handled both prior to buying a 6 digit almost two years ago. My pros/cons for both and then a little narrative:

5 digit
Pros: slimmer lugs for a more elegant look, lower price tag, aluminum bezel cheaper to replace if damaged, slightly more comfortable on the wrist, slimmer crown guards
Cons: aluminum bezel scratches more easily, hollow center links prone to stretch over time, lower quality bracelet and clasp, smaller hour markers

6 digit
Pros: Maxi dial, ceramic bezel, Glidelock clasp functionality, solid center links, extra heft makes the watch feel more solid, more sporty, more wrist presence
Cons: wider lugs give the watch a more squarish look, Glidelock clasp more prone to show scratches (sits higher, polished center), crown guards are a little blockish

After falling in love with the Bluesy over 13 years ago, I was always slightly unimpressed whenever I held the 5 digit in hand. I expected a watch at that price point to be more substantial in overall construction and heft. In particular, the bracelet and clasp seemed to trail behind the solid case and beautiful blue dial, and to me the bezel was pretty but unimpressive.

When the six digit came out, I did not like some of the key changes, especially the loss of the sunburst in favor of the flat ceramic dial, as well as the new oversized case. Additionally, I was not a fan of the increased price tag. However, I was happy to hear about the improvements to the bracelet and clasp, as well as the upgrade to a ceramic bezel. At that point in time, I was still leaning toward owning the 5 digit.

Fast-forward to 2015 and I found myself in Las Vegas with a little extra time so I decided to visit a Rolex boutique. I read online that Rolex had brought the sunburst dial back to the Bluesy and I decided to have a look for myself. Granted, this was far enough in the past that almost all models (to include SS) were available in the display case on any given day. How I do miss that!

Sure enough, they had a Bluesy in the case and I tried it on. I was awestruck. The watch sang to me like no other watch ever had. The quality of construction was superb and it had the heft I was looking for. The sunburst dial and blue ceramic bezel were beautiful. The larger case and lugs weren’t an issue anymore - it all worked so well together. I knew I had to have it and eventually purchased one from my local AD. It has been a pleasure to wear ever since.

So that is my Bluesy story. It is based on my experiences, opinion, and taste in watches and may differ from your own. The bottom line is pictures and forums are helpful (and even enabling) but there is nothing like seeing a watch in the flesh and trying it on. Sometimes it takes several visits and extra time to think before making a decision. Good luck with yours! Can’t go wrong with either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F3789E0A-CF97-4ACB-8BE2-16A2309AF714.jpeg (223.6 KB, 136 views)
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote