The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2022, 02:49 AM   #91
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 May 2022, 03:20 AM   #92
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathrum View Post
I decided to make this challenge for myself in 2022, and now it's May.
Good job man, and continued sucess to you!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:50 AM   #93
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Watch: Recon
It looks like this was an older thread that was inadvertently bumped..

However - I am 880 days into "taking a break" from the sauce. I haven't looked back and have loved every minute of sobriety!!
RUSH2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:56 AM   #94
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Checking in on you Seth... Are you still Dry? Are you going to make it until Sunday the 31st at Midnight to have a drink?
Ha. Just seeing this as per the new bump.

Made the month and then some. Loved it.

Thinking about a dry June, but will likely wait until October. And then January again.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:02 AM   #95
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2689 View Post
It looks like this was an older thread that was inadvertently bumped..

However - I am 880 days into "taking a break" from the sauce. I haven't looked back and have loved every minute of sobriety!!
791 days myself. I don't plan on evet picking one up again at this point. Unfortunately moderation didn't work to well for me.

Best of luck to all, whether it be moderation or abstinence. Life doesn't suck as much as I thought without alcohol. Certainly do miss it at times.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:26 AM   #96
Uggi
Banned

I have mixed feelings about Dry January. One of my oldest friends, who was a moderate drinker, perhaps having a few beers 2 or 3 times a week but rarely going overboard, tried it in 2018 because everyone in his department was doing and he felt he should.
It ruined him.
He stuck to it but was miserable throughout the whole experience. When Feb came he couldn’t wait to taste beer again and he ended up drinking every night - moderately at first but then more and more. He’s a bit better now but not the same - he went from having a “normal”, safe relationship with alcohol to quite a dangerous one.
I think he felt pressured into doing it which wasn’t ideal but even so - it doesn’t work for everyone.
My motto in life is “everything in moderation - including moderation itself”.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:43 AM   #97
Mifune
Banned

I just found this thread and I find it Ironic that I have not had a drink in about 5+ years (I do not missed it one bit) not because I over indulged, but because I began to experience SEVERE Gout attacks. it forced me to stop after I had a dozen or so crippling episodes.

THEN, last weekend I had a SINGLE SHOT of some 17 year whiskey at a birthday party and it was good.

Come that following Monday I woke up to severe Gout again... the big guy is telling me something.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:57 AM   #98
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
I have mixed feelings about Dry January. One of my oldest friends, who was a moderate drinker, perhaps having a few beers 2 or 3 times a week but rarely going overboard, tried it in 2018 because everyone in his department was doing and he felt he should.
It ruined him.
He stuck to it but was miserable throughout the whole experience. When Feb came he couldn’t wait to taste beer again and he ended up drinking every night - moderately at first but then more and more. He’s a bit better now but not the same - he went from having a “normal”, safe relationship with alcohol to quite a dangerous one.
I think he felt pressured into doing it which wasn’t ideal but even so - it doesn’t work for everyone.
My motto in life is “everything in moderation - including moderation itself”.
2-3 beers a week is not moderate. That’s almost not drinking at all. Drinking 2-3 beers 2-3 time a week is moderate.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your friend. That’s a sad story. My guess is there are other issues involved.

I wish I didn’t, but I enjoy drinking. Literally, everything was better without. Sleeping, digestion, focus, my workouts, etc.

But I entrain a lot. And I really do enjoy it, in the moment, mostly.

I’ll quit for good at some point. Just not yet. I find taking time off now and again to be great.

Old 19 May 2022, 04:57 AM   #99
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I just found this thread and I find it Ironic that I have not had a drink in about 5+ years (I do not missed it one bit) not because I over indulged, but because I began to experience SEVERE Gout attacks. it forced me to stop after I had a dozen or so crippling episodes.

THEN, last weekend I had a SINGLE SHOT of some 17 year whiskey at a birthday party and it was good.

Come that following Monday I woke up to severe Gout again... the big guy is telling me something.
Gout is the worst. I can relate.

Old 19 May 2022, 05:05 AM   #100
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
2-3 beers a week is not moderate. That’s almost not drinking at all. Drinking 2-3 beers 2-3 time a week is moderate.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your friend. That’s a sad story. My guess is there are other issues involved.

I wish I didn’t, but I enjoy drinking. Literally, everything was better without. Sleeping, digestion, focus, my workouts, etc.

But I entrain a lot. And I really do enjoy it, in the moment, mostly.

I’ll quit for good at some point. Just not yet. I find taking time off now and again to be great.
Ah no sorry - he was drinking beer 2-3 times a week. Maybe 3 beers at a time, so around 8 or 9 beers (pints over here) per week. Not excessive.
He’s one of those characters who lives by habit. Eats the same foods on the same days, takes the same holidays each year, has only ever done one job (IT security).
I think being shaken out of that routine really created some problems for him. He is a little better now.
I also like drinking. Beer, wine, maybe the occasional brandy. It’s an enjoyable part of life and I’m personally not ready to abstain from things I find enjoyable (yet). I like to think I offset the drinking with a strict vegetarian diet and very heavy exercise 5 days per week but maybe I’m kidding myself.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 05:13 AM   #101
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Well, I don’t count the days too often, but I just did. 2069 days.

When I quit cold Turkey in 2016, certain was drinking daily 2-3 hard ones. More on weekends. Weekends started on Thursday.

Sobriety isn’t for everyone, but damn, I don’t miss drinking. I could not even imagine just one sip.

Everything is groovy.

Old 19 May 2022, 05:31 AM   #102
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Watch: Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Well, I don’t count the days too often, but I just did. 2069 days.

When I quit cold Turkey in 2016, certain was drinking daily 2-3 hard ones. More on weekends. Weekends started on Thursday.

Sobriety isn’t for everyone, but damn, I don’t miss drinking. I could not even imagine just one sip.

Everything is groovy.

This is where I’m at. Don’t miss a single thing about drinking. Everything in life is better sober
RUSH2689 is offline   Reply With Quote