The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 January 2021, 08:45 AM   #1
T1cktock
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Advice on vintage Rolex

We inherited a vintage Rolex from my FIL that has been sitting in a drawer for 16 years. looking for advice / information about where to get it serviced. i believe it is from about 1955, as the serial number is five digits starting with a 5. It has the Brevet + on the side. the bracelet is Champion 10k with some wear, I think around 1960. The watch runs when I pick it up, but needs attention. Should it go to a RSC or elsewhere, and also looking for approximate value. Not looking to sell, this will go to one of my sons. Thanks in advance for input :)
T1cktock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 09:00 AM   #2
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
That's a bit too old for RSC. An independent watchmaker like LA Watchworks or Rolliworks should be able to service it assuming the movement isn't too bad. Cool watch though, 1955 looks about right
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Nice looking watch.

Over on your side of the country Rik Dietel down in Fla gets high marks for taking care of older watches. Give him a call at Time Care Inc.

RSC is not a good option for a vintage piece.
Old 10 January 2021, 07:33 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

What a beautiful vintage piece. Take the advice from above. Definitely deserves the best care.
Old 11 January 2021, 04:27 AM   #5
T1cktock
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the good advice - I will follow up on it! Is it considered a no no to have it polished and cleaned? I see a lot of posts about how vintage pieces were worked on in ways that downgraded the watch.
T1cktock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 05:00 AM   #6
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1cktock View Post
Thanks for all the good advice - I will follow up on it! Is it considered a no no to have it polished and cleaned? I see a lot of posts about how vintage pieces were worked on in ways that downgraded the watch.
Depends on what you like, but the beauty and value of vintage pieces are in their originality and condition. I would just get a movement service and source a crystal.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 05:44 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1cktock View Post
There is nothing wrong with cleaning and a proper light refinishing. Naturally you would not want a butcher to gouge out or feather into deep cuts and dents.

For whatever reason, the last couple of years we have seen a small, but vocal, group of "anti-polishers". They have their reasons, but they have not really put forth a compelling argument for such nonsense.

Discuss what you want with whomever you decide will do the work for you.
Old 12 January 2021, 07:18 AM   #8
watchbobby
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is nothing wrong with cleaning and a proper light refinishing. Naturally you would not want a butcher to gouge out or feather into deep cuts and dents.

For whatever reason, the last couple of years we have seen a small, but vocal, group of "anti-polishers". They have their reasons, but they have not really put forth a compelling argument for such nonsense.

Discuss what you want with whomever you decide will do the work for you.
I have to agree with you. While I can appreciate the "keep it original" standpoint, it turns my stomach sometimes to see the horrible condition some of these vintage watches are in.

There's a local vintage dealer here where I live, and while some of his inventory is, let's say tarnished, most are in very good and sometimes pristine shape. I just don't see the point in buying something, let alone wearing it, just to say it's original if it's in terrible shape. If you want to keep it for nostalgia's sake fine, but vintage watches don't have to look like they spent their entire life at the bottom of the ocean.

As always, just my $.02.
watchbobby is offline   Reply With Quote