The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 January 2021, 05:19 PM   #1
bbecl
"TRF" Member

Submariner info- chocolate/brown dial/bezel Submariner

Hello,

I have several Swiss watches, but no Rolex. I’m looking to change that, but I’m super picky. I’ve always wanted a brown dial/bezel, and know vintage Subs had them available (Ref 1680 tropical), and of course the GMT Master (Ref. 1675, and other/later variants). I saw a Submariner with a brown dial and bezel from BAselWorld 2014, that is visible if you google 2014 Rolex bicolor Everose Submariner with brown chocolate bezel and dial. Anyone have any info on that particular Sub? If need be, I’ll buckle and get a used GMT Master (or II), which I’ve found several good examples between $10K-$20K, or go all out and get a vintage Ref 1680 red “Submariner” with tropical dial and bezel, which I’ve seen some exceptional ones in the $40-50K range. Am I the only person that would be interested in purchasing a new Submariner with a chocolate dial/bezel? Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Eric
bbecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 10:38 PM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yes you are, just get a tudor
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:31 PM   #3
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Submariner info- chocolate/brown dial/bezel Submariner

Brown is an interesting color. People either really like or dislike it. Reminds me of all green like the 166710LV.

I really like my 16713 Root Beer GMT but it sure doesn’t match many of my outfits.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:48 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's simply a personal choice. Buy it if you like it. Why does it matter what others like?
Old 15 January 2021, 01:43 AM   #5
bbecl
"TRF" Member

I have a Tudor Heritage Chrono in blue, along with an Omega Speedmaster Reduced (with cream/whitish dial that was only available in Japan), an Oris Diver’s Sixty-Five with grey dial, 2 Tag Heuer Aquaracers (in blue and black dials), and a Tissot Seastar Automatic with black dial that was a gift. I couldn’t really care less what others think, I was more trying to gauge if anyone else was into brown dials and acquire a little info, if possible.

The First brown dial watch I ever saw was a Brietling Heritage Superocean, and I’ve always liked the color (perhaps it stuck with me because at the time I couldn’t fathom spending a few grand on a watch). I was trying to kill two birds with one stone and buy my first ever Rolex, but also get something with a brown dial/bezel. I’ve always liked dive watches, so I was hoping to get a Submariner, but ever since I’ve learned about that specific newer Sub I mentioned, I’ve never been able to find it. That’s why I was asking if anyone knows about it.

Eric
Old 15 January 2021, 02:05 AM   #6
bbecl
"TRF" Member

Jaisonline: if I can’t find that newer Sub I’m looking for, a “Hulk” would be my second choice in a newer Sub, but honestly I’d rather get a quality used GMT MASTER (or II) for less than what the “Hulk” Sub runs.