The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2021, 11:45 PM   #1
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

She wants one...

Afer a couple hints...more like I want a Peloton the decision has been made to get a spin bike for the house. Looked at the new plus bike from Peloton seems fine...Also have heard a lot about echelon.. they have a new seven series bike out that is supposed to be the latest and greatest.... my main problem with Peloton is the 12 week wait. Echelon says we can have their bike in 7-10 days... Anyone have a Echelon? I did wait almost a year for my first Daytona but months for a bike.... good problem to have for Peloton.
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 12:30 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I see Nordic Track now has one too. Seen a bunch of commericals.

No idea if it's like the Peleton or not.

https://www.maybeyesno.com/fitness-r...rdictrack-s22i
Old 13 January 2021, 12:46 AM   #3
avidflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

THANKS for reminding me about the Nordic track...they have those in stock all over STL. I was shocked when we demo'd one. The sales guys wouldn't say anything about it, just I need to get on it.... MAN not to be harsh but it was junk (or at least that floor model) very unstable, nothing seemed to fit correctly. It was hard to believe they put something out that bad. I'd love to see another to compare it to. He didn't push any brand, just a stay away from the nordic track in general. I really wanted to like the Nordic Track, they have some really good free ride graphics...
Old 13 January 2021, 02:01 AM   #4
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I think Echelon bikes are a slight step below the Peloton. The price, however, is a huge value.

If your wife is wanting the interactive platform, the Peloton is still the way to go. I do not need or want this but many, many, many of or friends absolutely LOVE the Peloton environment. This alone is the swing factor. One friend just finished a monthly miles challenge and logged 1000 miles!!! I would blow my brains out from boredom, but she loved it.

That being said, Instill prefer my 12 year old Lemond spin bike for its simplicity.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 02:26 AM   #5
avidflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I think Echelon bikes are a slight step below the Peloton. The price, however, is a huge value.

If your wife is wanting the interactive platform, the Peloton is still the way to go. I do not need or want this but many, many, many of or friends absolutely LOVE the Peloton environment. This alone is the swing factor. One friend just finished a monthly miles challenge and logged 1000 miles!!! I would blow my brains out from boredom, but she loved it.

That being said, Instill prefer my 12 year old Lemond spin bike for its simplicity.
tried the Lemond was a brick sh-t house loved it but no interaction....that brand looked top notch
Old 13 January 2021, 02:50 AM   #6
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

We’ve had a Peloton for 3 years and it’s honestly been on of the best investments that’s we’ve ever made. The number of classes available across all platforms is amazing. I’ve stuck with a few of the instructors but there are plenty to choose from. The best part is the monthly fee you pay will cover both you and your wife.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 06:45 AM   #7
2qne
Banned

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Afer a couple hints...more like I want a Peloton the decision has been made to get a spin bike for the house. Looked at the new plus bike from Peloton seems fine...Also have heard a lot about echelon.. they have a new seven series bike out that is supposed to be the latest and greatest.... my main problem with Peloton is the 12 week wait. Echelon says we can have their bike in 7-10 days... Anyone have a Echelon? I did wait almost a year for my first Daytona but months for a bike.... good problem to have for Peloton.
My other half pestered me for ages to get her an exercise bike. Eventually, I couldn't stand it anymore and bought one...thankfully it wasn't one of these ridiculously over priced things where you have some idiot shouting at you from a computer screen. After using it just once on the easiest setting, she declared it was 'too much like hard work' and never used it again. It got put in the garage and after a few years, eventually went to the tip...
2qne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 09:53 PM   #8
jedmonds
"TRF" Member

You can use the Echelon bike with the Peloton app. The digital app is $12.99 a month vs $40 subscription that you need if using a Peloton bike. Going this route, you would need a tablet/iphone/android phone to install the digital subscription Peleton app. Another spin bike to consider is the Schwinn IC4. TailHappyTV on youtube has a ton of comparison videos worth watching TailHappyTV Spin Bike Reviews If you end up getting a bike with a built-in tablet, you will most likely be stuck with that brands subscription services for content, as most of the bikes with built-in tablets do not allow you to install other apps. If you go with a bike that does not have a built-in tablet and use an android or apple tablet instead, you have a lot of content options from other providers to choose from, Apple Fitness+, Peloton Digital Subscription, Echeclon App, iFit, youtube and so on.
jedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 10:12 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If you’re putting it in a home gym, read up on noise levels.

I have no personal experience with any of the above but my wife has a rower
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 12:33 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qne View Post
Eventually, I couldn't stand it anymore and bought one...ridiculously over priced things ....where you have some idiot shouting at you from a computer screen.

I had to laugh when you said that......abuse....

.... c'mon you lazy snotty faced heap of parrot droppings.......PEDAL you worthless lump of lard.....THAT bike is gonna collapse under the weight of your great big fat behind balancing like an elephant on a pogo stick...I SAID PEDAL.......FASTER....FASTER.... you useless bag of festering corpuscles ...now move those legs....I SAID PEDAL....PEDAL......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BRc5zV4YKU
Old 14 January 2021, 01:01 AM   #11
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Honestly, we got the Peloton in August and it's the best decision that we've made.

The classes keep you engaged, and the platform for stretching and other types of workouts have been invaluable.

Go with the Peloton, well worth the wait.
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 02:22 AM   #12
Langnam
"TRF" Member

I’ve been spinning for nearly 14 years in a gym until Covid. When my gym reopened, I opted for a Peloton bike instead. The bike was backordered two months, but worth the wait.

I really enjoyed Spin in the gym, but Peloton is leaps and bounds better if you’re into fitness.

Gyms work on “perceived “ exertion, whereas the Peloton gives you a real number to work with.

I am over the top on fitness now because of that. If that’s important, go with the Peloton.

Can’t say enough about the product, instructors and the community.

I was a skeptic for years, but no more.

I’ll never go back to the gym for Spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2021, 03:04 AM   #13
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I use a Concept 2 Bike Erg and an app called Zwift, I like it because the person in the app on the bike that is supposed to be me looks a lot thinner and younger than I do. Most other users pass me very quickly but I do overtake some who I look down on with disdain.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:32 AM   #14
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
tried the Lemond was a brick sh-t house loved it but no interaction....that brand looked top notch
Another important thing to remember is to get a proper pair of cycling shoes and pedals or, at least, the Peloton shoe/pedal package. Make sure the cleat is adjusted properly (see YouTube) as a bad foot to pedal connection can lead to serious knee irritation.

Learning to use a proper circular pedal stroke is essential for engaging the hamstrings and glutes, which maximizes the strength and muscle toning capabilities of the bike. Just pushing down on the pedals only gets you about 70% of the benefit.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 14 January 2021, 08:16 AM   #15
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
I’ve been spinning for nearly 14 years in a gym until Covid. When my gym reopened, I opted for a Peloton bike instead. The bike was backordered two months, but worth the wait.

I really enjoyed Spin in the gym, but Peloton is leaps and bounds better if you’re into fitness.

Gyms work on “perceived “ exertion, whereas the Peloton gives you a real number to work with.

I am over the top on fitness now because of that. If that’s important, go with the Peloton.

Can’t say enough about the product, instructors and the community.

I was a skeptic for years, but no more.

I’ll never go back to the gym for Spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just as skeptical about Peloton before we bought one. My wife wanted one for almost a year but I said it's not worth it. Now, I use it almost everyday. The off days I'll use one of the outdoor audio classes for a walk or one of the main strength classes they offer. I'm coming up on 1,600 rides this month or next.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 10:24 PM   #16
avidflyer

Ordered the Echelon 7s, seven to ten days ship time....if they are correct. couldnt do the 12 week Peloton wait
Old 14 January 2021, 11:02 PM   #17
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Ordered the Echelon 7s, seven to ten days ship time....if they are correct. couldnt do the 12 week Peloton wait
Um, what!? Did your wife say “I want a Peloton” and you are going to mansplain to her that the Echelon is a better choice?? Yikes! This has the makings of a story you will never hear the end of. Heaven forbid one of her friends has a Peloton...they won’t be able to add each other because you went and got the cheap one.

Oh her friend got a cute Peloton hoodie after her 100th ride, I’m sure your wife will love wearing those cute Echelon accessories—-(no not really).

Believe me, the extra weeks wait will feel like nothing when you end up buying a Peloton anyway and trying to sell or dump the Echelon.

If this was her decision...all good, but man, I am not sure you are in a good spot here. This is like text book “how to be a good husband” ...my advice is Abort, and course correct!

(Btw, my wife loves her Peloton)

Good luck
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:09 PM   #18
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No opinion on quality. I ordered mine Nov 12, 2020, initial delivery 8 weeks, 2 reschedules now next delivery March 13, 2021.. it’s for my wife, not me. At this rate, it’ll be her 2021 Christmas gift.
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:34 PM   #19
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Um, what!? Did your wife say “I want a Peloton” and you are going to mansplain to her that the Echelon is a better choice?? Yikes! This has the makings of a story you will never hear the end of. Heaven forbid one of her friends has a Peloton...they won’t be able to add each other because you went and got the cheap one.

Oh her friend got a cute Peloton hoodie after her 100th ride, I’m sure your wife will love wearing those cute Echelon accessories—-(no not really).

Believe me, the extra weeks wait will feel like nothing when you end up buying a Peloton anyway and trying to sell or dump the Echelon.

If this was her decision...all good, but man, I am not sure you are in a good spot here. This is like text book “how to be a good husband” ...my advice is Abort, and course correct!

(Btw, my wife loves her Peloton)

Good luck

You correctly read my mind.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 01:27 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I would be concerned about Echelon’s interactive environment. Reviews on this seem to feel that this lags far behind Peloton. Check out Wirecutter’s reviews of bikes. At least with Peloton, you have an obscene demand for used bikes if you ever need to sell.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 15 January 2021, 02:11 AM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

I looked at the Nordic track and they all are similar what the difference is the platform for the classes. Nordic track has for example real Tour de France routes where you ride with a virtual trainer whereas peloton appears to focus on classes. Nordic track does classes too and appears more versatile. Nordic track appears to be a cross between peloton and Swift.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:36 PM   #22
avidflyer

Just couldn't do the Peloton wait, figured 12 weeks would end up being 16 weeks or more. Did give her the option, wait for it or get it in a week or two. I'll keep the info updated for those interested.
Old 15 January 2021, 05:06 PM   #23
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Why not order the Pelaton in parallel?

Use the other product until that arrives, then you have a back up or sell it on/ giveaway ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:39 AM   #24
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Very helpful thread. After reading everything here and doing more research we just ordered the Nordic Track Commercial S22i Studio Cycle. Will be here in 3 weeks but that's not why we made this choice. Our interest is in both studio spin classes and location training/riding. We also likes the google maps "create your own route" feature. It will allow us to ride routes in our own area that we're familiar with and like. I'll post a quick review once it arrives and we've used it a bit. Thanks to Blansky for the link he posted.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:59 AM   #25
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Very helpful thread. After reading everything here and doing more research we just ordered the Nordic Track Commercial S22i Studio Cycle. Will be here in 3 weeks but that's not why we made this choice. Our interest is in both studio spin classes and location training/riding. We also likes the google maps "create your own route" feature. It will allow us to ride routes in our own area that we're familiar with and like. I'll post a quick review once it arrives and we've used it a bit. Thanks to Blansky for the link he posted.
Good call on that!!!

I am an avid cyclist and approaching this more from a fitness maintenance and early season training tool perspective. Many of my friend have been going over to this smart bike concept for their off season training. A few have the Peloton and generally like it but it seems that their spouses benefit more from the law environment then they do.

I have been using the Peloton app for the last two weeks to check out the environment while using my 13 year old Lemond Revmaster.

I absolutely hated almost all of the regular spin classes. I know people like them for overall fitness and motivation but the class leaders uniformly reminded my of the jerk on the mountain bike ride that would never shut up. Some of the movements and high rpm segments can actually damage someone’s knees if they are not well conditioned.

I did like the Power Zone classes even though I could not take full advantage of the Peloton output wattage guidance on my old dumb bike. I could see this having a huge benefit.

The ones I really liked were the pro classes by Christian Vandevelde. All around excellent or cycling training as well as base fitness development. Unfortunately, these are limited in quantity as Peloton had to drop most of these early classes for music copyright infringements. However, I have done three so far and each one was a great workout that left me totally cooked. I really did push myself harder than I typically would jus watching tv.

I would like to try the Nordictrack and might pop over to the Denver kiosk next week. It seems to offer a better fit for my needs.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 25 January 2021, 08:48 AM   #26
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Thanks. This was a bit of a flyer not having been able to try this one or any of the competition like Peloton etc. One of the helpful links I found was a review done by this confirmed Peloton guy.

https://youtu.be/roQB-FktA8U

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote