The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 January 2021, 08:25 AM   #91
Thug
"TRF" Member

Trash neighbors come in all income levels.
Old 12 January 2021, 08:28 AM   #92
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Show me any of them please, they should all absolutely be listed on StreetEasy and/or MLS, historic prices and current prices. You think it's impossible that your friend was using hyperbole? "BRO you gotta see these apartments are so cheap now bro, 50% off!"

Also, you realistically think prices aren't going up in the next two years? The vaccine is here, I cannot see a scenario where it doesn't get at least marginally better from here. In two years all of this will be a memory and anyone who locked something in now will be very pleased with themselves.
Old 12 January 2021, 08:35 AM   #93
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Show me any of them please, they should all absolutely be listed on StreetEasy and/or MLS, historic prices and current prices. You think it's impossible that your friend was using hyperbole? "BRO you gotta see these apartments are so cheap now bro, 50% off!"

Also, you realistically think prices aren't going up in the next two years? The vaccine is here, I cannot see a scenario where it doesn't get at least marginally better from here. In two years all of this will be a memory and anyone who locked something in now will be very pleased with themselves.
I give you a real world example of my own personal apartment at 34% off. Also why are we assuming my friend is from the Jersey Shore and speaks that way? or is that your assumption of anybody who deals in real estate?

Prices could very well go back up, never said they couldn’t. I just explicitly stated that IF prices remain the same, most certainly the entire nyc lifestyle will change. It will also become ‘normalized’ and not on a pedestal out of the grasp of a lot of people. Think of how Rolex has marketed themselves, NYC has literally priced themselves into that same unobtainable mindset for some people.

Anyhow that’s enough for me, good talk
Old 12 January 2021, 08:37 AM   #94
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I give you a real world example of my own personal apartment at 34% off. Also why are we assuming my friend is from the Jersey Shore and speaks that way? or is that your assumption of anybody who deals in real estate?
Yes, that's my inner real estate broker voice
Old 12 January 2021, 11:06 AM   #95
austinp
"TRF" Member

I was just there over New Years and had a nice time. Picked up beer at Other Half in Brooklyn. Had Pizza at Johns of Bleecker, L and B, Williamsburg Pizza and Best Pizza. Did some day drinking and lots of walking. Was a great day with my brothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 January 2021, 11:51 AM   #96
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
A lot of mentally ill people walking the streets. Drug deals going on in plain sight. Drug addicts all around, and inside Penn Stations, and Port Authority. Times Square is virtually empty. Some hotels are shelters. I can’t believe the state NYC is in. Our mayor decided to send NYPD to California to arrest the young girl, that falsely accused, and attacked a young man that she thought had her cell phone. A waste of time, and money. We have a bail reform law that was passed. Criminals get arrested, and usually released the same day. They get a Dunkin Donut gift card, and Met tickets so they will hopefully show up to there court date. Police are on the sidelines.
It’s really sad to see the city I grew up in, and work in like this. Theaters, and restaurants closed. A lot of stores are out of business. NYC is in dire need for a comeback.

I have full confidence that NYC will rebound. Hopefully sooner, than later. With the current state NYC is in, its still my home. And I wouldn’t want to be any place else. Looking forward to the traffic, restaurants, and theaters to open. And of course, welcome back tourists.

Like Sinatra said, ” If you could make it here, you could make It anywhere.”

I love New York.
Old 12 January 2021, 12:05 PM   #97
DudePerfect
Banned

Watch: amacallit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post

Like Sinatra said, ” If you could make it here, you could make It anywhere.”

I love New York.
If the song where written today the line would be “ If you made it here, you can now make it better in Florida or Texas.”
Old 12 January 2021, 12:24 PM   #98
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I tend to agree. and I don't want to say that, at all.......as NYC in its prime was one of the best cities in the world and absolutely amazing. I'm truly terrified at just how long it's going to take to get back to that position, it seems we're continuing a downward spiral with leadership propositions instead of bouncing back.

and I agree above with the new kind of people it's going to start bringing in. I know a guy who has lived in his place for years and paid as much as $3k for a 1br in 2019, now going for under $2k. I recently saw a 10 month studio sublease for $1200...in EAST VILLAGE, not somewhere funky. Not to be judgmental but yeah, it's 100% going to change the entire scene. Rent before priced out a lot of problems.....everybody wants lower rent until they realize what comes along with that.....

Quite frankly I think you're using the wrong word here. because you're smoking something from another planet if you think it's more alive in any type of busy/things to do sense. This city as incredibly dead. I say that as somebody in my 30s and all my peers as well. only people who I know would say the city is 'alive' would be 55+, as perhaps their local destinations are unchanged/potentially having stronger showouts.

also sorry, but you're completely wrong in stating that 80% of the businesses/restaurants which closed were going to close soon anyways. the shutdowns decimated some to the point of no return when they had PLENTY of business prior.

Dmash I pretty much agree with everything you say here. Well said
Old 12 January 2021, 02:09 PM   #99
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NYC. I am a proud New Yorker who love my city because of its vibrant fast-pace energy. There is no other city in the world like New York. The city that was once pronounced as "the greatest city that never sleeps" is in complete turmoil. Anyone who does not see this is oblivious or in complete denial. This city has been in the worst state in the last 30 years ruined by the worst Mayor in the history of our city. I am saddened by how far we have declined and am terrified that we will not recover in the foreseeable future. Everyday more and more small businesses are closing, companies are moving out of NYC, our MTA Transit system is at an all time worst, homelessness and crimes are at an all time high. You hear about shootings every other day. I do not feel safe in the city I love. I can go on and on...

The lifeline of our city is completely shutdown such as entertainments, restaurants, and small consumer businesses. Real estate is in complete disarray that will not recover any time soon. I own and work in residential and commercial real estate in Manhattan so I see it first hand. The longer this Pandemic prolongs, the harder it will be for this city to recover. This has already changed the mindset of many businesses. I pray that we can get out of this nightmare soon.
Old 12 January 2021, 02:38 PM   #100
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razcal View Post
i was born and raised in brooklyn, nyc. I am a proud new yorker who love my city because of its vibrant fast-pace energy. There is no other city in the world like new york. The city that was once pronounced as "the greatest city that never sleeps" is in complete turmoil. Anyone who does not see this is oblivious or in complete denial. This city has been in the worst state in the last 30 years ruined by the worst mayor in the history of our city. I am saddened by how far we have declined and am terrified that we will not recover in the foreseeable future. Everyday more and more small businesses are closing, companies are moving out of nyc, our mta transit system is at an all time worst, homelessness and crimes are at an all time high. You hear about shootings every other day. I do not feel safe in the city i love. I can go on and on...

The lifeline of our city is completely shutdown such as entertainments, restaurants, and small consumer businesses. Real estate is in complete disarray that will not recover any time soon. I own and work in residential and commercial real estate in manhattan so i see it first hand. The longer this pandemic prolongs, the harder it will be for this city to recover. This has already changed the mindset of many businesses. I pray that we can get out of this nightmare soon.
100%
Old 12 January 2021, 03:08 PM   #101
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NYC. I am a proud New Yorker who love my city because of its vibrant fast-pace energy. There is no other city in the world like New York. The city that was once pronounced as "the greatest city that never sleeps" is in complete turmoil. Anyone who does not see this is oblivious or in complete denial. This city has been in the worst state in the last 30 years ruined by the worst Mayor in the history of our city. I am saddened by how far we have declined and am terrified that we will not recover in the foreseeable future. Everyday more and more small businesses are closing, companies are moving out of NYC, our MTA Transit system is at an all time worst, homelessness and crimes are at an all time high. You hear about shootings every other day. I do not feel safe in the city I love. I can go on and on...

The lifeline of our city is completely shutdown such as entertainments, restaurants, and small consumer businesses. Real estate is in complete disarray that will not recover any time soon. I own and work in residential and commercial real estate in Manhattan so I see it first hand. The longer this Pandemic prolongs, the harder it will be for this city to recover. This has already changed the mindset of many businesses. I pray that we can get out of this nightmare soon.
I share the same sentiment. I walk, and pay more attention to my surroundings than I use to. A lot of crazies out there at the moment. RaZCaL, stay safe. The city we love, will rebound.
Old 12 January 2021, 03:26 PM   #102
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
NYC has been around some 400 years it will be just fine. I’d go tomorrow if there was a deal on a nice watch
That was a good one, funny.
However, I still don’t think we could get a SS sport model at a AD in NYC.

I saw a Yachmaster, 37mm at the AD on 42nd, and 6th ave on Saturday. I was shocked.
Old 12 January 2021, 04:48 PM   #103
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I went to college just north of the city, and would take the train down as much as I could. NYC meant freedom, great food, fun and a respite from the granite fortress and pressures that school was. Been back several times since I graduated, and the city had the same feel. Hope it can recover by the time I visit it again.

Are other cities in the same spot? I’ve heard LA is similar, but they had a huge homeless problem before the pandemic. What about London, Paris or Madrid?
Old 12 January 2021, 05:00 PM   #104
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post

Well put.

I truly don’t understand how some are acting like everything is groovy in the city right now. Quite frankly it SUCKS in a lot of aspects. I’m not a native but it still kind of gets me, as I have a soft spot for NYC, can’t imagine the emotions to be there your entire life and see the current disarray.

I sold some furniture on marketplace this year, and for the first time EVER.....and I have met up with people in NY over 100 times via FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc over multiple years selling expensive items.......I had TWO different ladies say ‘can we meet morning or afternoon instead of evening? I don’t feel safe walking with the table/mirror at night’.

It’s nuts right now. I can’t recall how many 4am drunk stoopers home I had in my early 20s and never felt the least bit unsafe. Now I have friends walking their female counterparts Lyfts and not even letting them walk a block alone, scared to take the train.....it’s seriously a different world and not unfounded. I say that as a guy who has visited tons of countries and usually criticizing others for being overly cautious and paranoid.
Old 12 January 2021, 05:10 PM   #105
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Dmash I pretty much agree with everything you say here. Well said

Our ideology usually always aligns
Old 13 January 2021, 09:01 AM   #106
Eyenigma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
I’ve heard LA is similar, but they had a huge homeless problem before the pandemic.
Los Angeles is in shambles too. Inept mayor who has largely obliterated the city, not unlike New York. Numerous small businesses forced to close with no help. Crime and vagrancy at new highs. A police that is neutered and seen as the enemy. Strangely enough, our housing prices have not been affected though. Yet. As more and more Californians flea for Texas, Florida, and Tennessee, the reality of the situation will be inescapable.

Those apartments range from $3K to $5K USD per month, depending on size, amenities, etc. Encampment with discarded needles outside your door comes free.

Bringing it back to NYC, I think once the arts and culture returns (Broadway, food, sports in earnest, NYE ball drop) — the city should slowly rebound
Old 15 January 2021, 12:36 AM   #107
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
That drum can only be beat so hard until the head breaks. The pendulum is going to have to swing pretty hard pro business after the mayor is done with his “redistribution”

Cops being told to stand on the sideline for just about any dispute. This isn’t hyperbole

steve
Exactly, the 'bias for normal' causes people to ignore this. You don't get the NYC that flourished in the recent peak years with opposite policies of the current mayor. The same can be said for Chicago where I grew up.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:38 AM   #108
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyenigma View Post
Los Angeles is in shambles too. Inept mayor who has largely obliterated the city, not unlike New York. Numerous small businesses forced to close with no help. Crime and vagrancy at new highs. A police that is neutered and seen as the enemy. Strangely enough, our housing prices have not been affected though. Yet. As more and more Californians flea for Texas, Florida, and Tennessee, the reality of the situation will be inescapable.

Those apartments range from $3K to $5K USD per month, depending on size, amenities, etc. Encampment with discarded needles outside your door comes free.

Bringing it back to NYC, I think once the arts and culture returns (Broadway, food, sports in earnest, NYE ball drop) — the city should slowly rebound
Insane. I was in Santa Monica last summer and saw people in homeless 'cities' openly using the sidewalk as a toilet, try that in Texas, it is Third World stuff.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:44 AM   #109
bejzv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
winter and covid. not exactly a good combo for nyc hotels.
The thought of it
Old 15 January 2021, 12:46 AM   #110
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
A lot of mentally ill people walking the streets.
Related to your next two sentences.

Quote:
Drug deals going on in plain sight. Drug addicts all around, and inside Penn Stations, and Port Authority.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:48 AM   #111
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyenigma View Post

the big wildcard here is will kids be going back to college.......those rich kids going to school in the city love to eat and drink

steve
Old 15 January 2021, 06:01 PM   #112
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Related to your next two sentences.

Do you mean you could relate to my next two sentences?
Closed Thread