The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 January 2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Rylor
"TRF" Member

5513 “Meters First”

Hello, so, I recently purchased a 1966 5513 “meters first” sub. I read that the change from the gilt gloss dialed 5513 to the meters first matte dialed 5513 started around the 1.6 mil serial range. Mine is 1.4 mil serial. It’s my understanding that my purchase was all original. Just looking for some insight... want to make sure my meters first dial is original to my 1.4 mil serial. Any input is appreciated!
Rylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 10:04 AM   #2
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
http://www.5513mattedial.com/MetersFirst.html
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 10:57 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think it's uncommon to find watches in the 1.5M range with matte MF dials. Please give another couple of digits of your serial number and show good photos of the watch including the inside of the case-back if possible. More information is better.
Old 10 January 2021, 11:22 AM   #4
stmoore
Banned

The first you will see is the 5512. There are neat fonts 1.51 mil 5512s with error 6th quarter 66 caseback. The 5513s were later. 1.55 are some of the earliet known. My second was a 1.6 (edited).
Old 10 January 2021, 11:25 AM   #5
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Mine is a 1.47mil serial and it is matte as well. If you look around online you will see that yours is fine. Mine has a damaged dial, and I’m pretty sure it’s orig to the watch
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 11:29 AM   #6
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Mine is a 1.47mil serial and it is matte as well. If you look around online you will see that yours is fine. Mine has a damaged dial, and I’m pretty sure it’s orig to the watch
Caseback year?

I just pulled up my spreadsheet. My first was a 1.55, second was 1.6 both first owner.

I know gilt 5513s that went into 1.54....
Old 10 January 2021, 11:38 AM   #7
Rylor
"TRF" Member

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 5.36.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 5.37.03 PM.png
Old 10 January 2021, 11:42 AM   #8
stmoore
Banned

Heavily polished, especially the crown guards. Service crown / tube. Heavy hand drags on the dial.

I’d pass.
Old 10 January 2021, 11:51 AM   #9
Rylor
"TRF" Member

sorry I'm just getting into the vintage Rolex space...pardon my ignorance...what is service crown? Also, the pic that appears to show hand drag is bad pic. No hand drag, dial super clean. Thanks for the input!
Old 10 January 2021, 11:57 AM   #10
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylor View Post
sorry I'm just getting into the vintage Rolex space...pardon my ignorance...what is service crown? Also, the pic that appears to show hand drag is bad pic. No hand drag, dial super clean. Thanks for the input!
It’s an improved , later crown, with wider dimensions.

Also, the dial should glow green just for a moment when hit with a torch.

If you are just getting into vintage, what do you want? Do you want this exact watch, any matte 5513, something else?
Old 10 January 2021, 12:06 PM   #11
Rylor
"TRF" Member

I really like the 5513. Ideally, I'd purchase a gilt but that is out of my budget currently ($16K)...just looking for a great collector 5513 that I/ can start my collection and ultimately hand down to my son:)
Old 10 January 2021, 12:09 PM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
The 5513s were later. 1.55 are some of the earliet known. My second was a 1.6 (edited).
Interesting. I never looked so closely at the numbers within the 1.5 range. I will pay more attention in the future.

I have a 1,549,8xx matte dial with the error case-back that I bought from the original owner. So basically 1.55M I guess.

Given what we hear about the way that the watches were assembled, it wouldn't be shocking if there was a small amount of serial number overlap between gilt and matte dials, don't you think.
Old 10 January 2021, 12:11 PM   #13
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Heavily polished, especially the crown guards. Service crown / tube. Heavy hand drags on the dial.

I’d pass.
I think the "heavy hand drags" is the reflection of the camera... agree on the crown guards thought that is thin...
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 12:18 PM   #14
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Interesting. I never looked so closely at the numbers within the 1.5 range. I will pay more attention in the future.

I have a 1,549,8xx matte dial with the error case-back that I bought from the original owner. So basically 1.55M I guess.

Given what we hear about the way that the watches were assembled, it wouldn't be shocking if there was a small amount of serial number overlap between gilt and matte dials, don't you think.
Nothing is linear with Rolex especially within these ranges.
Old 10 January 2021, 12:18 PM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylor View Post
There is a lot to learn. Sellers will try to put the same high price on any vintage 5513 regardless of condition or originality. But these details make a big difference in real value. Fortunately, the 5513mattedial website is a good starting point for research.
Old 10 January 2021, 07:30 PM   #16
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’d pass.
It would appear he’s already purchased it.
Old 11 January 2021, 01:47 AM   #17
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It’s a really nice watch. It has had some parts replaced and the crown guards are thin. Is the deal done or are you asking the group with a thought to giving her back? I just want to help.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 05:30 AM   #18
athom
"TRF" Member

Mine is 1.6, 1.4 is very (too?) early, isn't it?
Old 16 January 2021, 04:28 AM   #19
RolexBrian
"TRF" Member

My 1.3 is gilt/gloss. 5513
RolexBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 07:05 AM   #20
Subspecies
"TRF" Member

Fwiw in terms of putting numbers in boxes, my mf is 1.55 with v1 66 caseback and puffy lume which still glows briefly after uv lighting. 1.4 mil isn't light years away so who knows?
Subspecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 09:14 AM   #21
mrtoulouse
"TRF" Member

The insert and dial seem to be correct for a meters first - the hands seem to match nicely with lume. The low serial is nor necesarily a root for too much concern - I have seen meters first way into the 2.2 range, which just goes to show. The other way around is a bit less likely, of course, but if you could get better pics it would help a lot. The crown guards seem to be pointy crown guards, and could be better news than if they have polished that badly. Judging by the case thickness, I don’t think the overpolishing theory sticks for this one :)
mrtoulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 10:14 AM   #22
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoulouse View Post
The insert and dial seem to be correct for a meters first
Why do you say that it's correct? Don't you more typically see a long-5 insert with an early MF dial?
Old 16 January 2021, 11:22 AM   #23
stmoore
Banned

Rounded crown guards started in right at 1.06 m. This isn’t a pointed crown guard as you suggest, it’s just over polished.

The insert should be a mk2 long 5, this is however a mk2. Pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoulouse View Post
The insert and dial seem to be correct for a meters first - the hands seem to match nicely with lume. The low serial is nor necesarily a root for too much concern - I have seen meters first way into the 2.2 range, which just goes to show. The other way around is a bit less likely, of course, but if you could get better pics it would help a lot. The crown guards seem to be pointy crown guards, and could be better news than if they have polished that badly. Judging by the case thickness, I don’t think the overpolishing theory sticks for this one :)