The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2021, 07:51 AM   #1
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
OP 36 ( various colours) - are they future classic or they will be forgotten/hated?

Good evening,guys.
I am after Explorer 214270 or OP36 ( yellow/green/red) not sure yet. To be honest - the Explorer has some flat style of the bezel that flattens/squashes the whole shape of the watch. But a better clasp. And timeless design. On contrary, the OP are very fresh and crisp looking. And better proportioned ( to me),especially at 36mmm. But not so fancy clasp.

I prefer not to lose money in case of future sale ,so hence my silly question - after the cold initial reception of the Power rangers ( they really look like members of Power rangers team),do you think they will follow the other steel models like value and desirability or they will stay under the radar?
Much love.
Dimi
mitadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:54 AM   #2
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Don't try to make OP into Sub or Daytona. OP is entry model and will remain so IMO!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:06 AM   #3
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Don't try to make OP into Sub or Daytona. OP is entry model and will remain so IMO!
Never had compared them to Sub or Daytona,however all steel models follow similar trend.
Old 15 January 2021, 08:08 AM   #4
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

The OP36 colours you have mentioned are definitely not under the radar
Blue or black on the other hand, yes.
No idea on resale
Buy the one you like
Jb1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:26 AM   #5
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitadoc View Post
Good evening,guys.
I am after Explorer 214270 or OP36 ( yellow/green/red) not sure yet. To be honest - the Explorer has some flat style of the bezel that flattens/squashes the whole shape of the watch. But a better clasp. And timeless design. On contrary, the OP are very fresh and crisp looking. And better proportioned ( to me),especially at 36mmm. But not so fancy clasp.

I prefer not to lose money in case of future sale ,so hence my silly question - after the cold initial reception of the Power rangers ( they really look like members of Power rangers team),do you think they will follow the other steel models like value and desirability or they will stay under the radar?
Much love.
Dimi
The colours you are interested in (yellow, green, red) are re-selling way above retail. I recently saw a yellow listed for over double MSRP! Those colours, and the turquoise, will probably stay well above MSRP for awhile, with a higher re-sale value than the Explorer. I don't think you will lose either way.
Old 15 January 2021, 08:33 AM   #6
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Neither watch will return you enough money in a potential future sale to warrant overthinking this decision.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:37 AM   #7
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
Neither watch will return you enough money in a potential future sale to warrant overthinking this decision.
I am not after fortune making, but not losing money if deciding to sell.
Cheers.
Old 15 January 2021, 04:22 PM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
This is just my opinion but if you are concerned about possibly losing money then you should only stick to the hot watches.
If I had to guess I would think you will be lucky to break even on an OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:48 PM   #9
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Completely different watches. Depends on your wrist size and the general look you are after. Small wrist? Stick with 36. Sports or dress aesthetic?? The 36mm OP wears more dressy, Exp waxes a more sporty. Both are versatile enough to cross territories.

As for clasp, don't discredit the seemingly simple oyster clasp of the OP. It's solid, secure, and very well executed. I actually prefer it to the locking clasp of the Exp and it beats many of the other sports models too, in my opinion.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 06:20 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Good evening,guys.

Much love.
Dimi
Hardly futuristic these colours were around way back in the late 1960/70s then called stella dials. Like anything Rolex today if the internet hype generates these watches are the greatest things since sliced bread, the hype collectors will buy them. Myself always likes the bright colours of the stella dials from the 1970s great looking watches then and now.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:43 PM   #11
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the inputs.
My wrist is relatively small - 18cm (7.2 inches).
Old 15 January 2021, 08:13 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peemaster View Post
Future value will be dictated by the scarcity of these watches. If Rolex decides to discontinue the current OP dials in lets say 2 years (just like it happened with the white op39), they will most definitely become future classics. With the tiffany dial the watch will put you back MSRPx2 on the gray market already...
There are no tiffany dial Rolex tiffany dialled Rolex they went out of production in the 1980s.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:40 PM   #13
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
There are no tiffany dial Rolex tiffany dialled Rolex they went out of production in the 1980s.
I guess he meant the turquoise
I like it as well.
Old 16 January 2021, 01:12 AM   #14
Soultime
"TRF" Member

The 2020 OP36 coloured dials are proving very popular with women as well - which is driving demand up.

They are selling well above retail and I don't see that changing, unless supply suddenly increases dramatically (which is unlikely).
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:16 AM   #15
KonradvonMarburg
Banned

Quote:
Good evening,guys.

Much love.
Dimi
I don't like the coloured dials. I think they look gimmicky and I don't think they will age well. This should only be a consideration if you plan to sell it at some future point. If you plan on keeping it forever then it doesn't really matter.
KonradvonMarburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:23 AM   #16
ScrantonStrangler
"TRF" Member

The only reason Stella dials shot up in value was due to their limited production in the 70’s...because no one bought them.

Once the hype dies down I can’t see the bright dials other than the Tiffany blue aging well. Of course...we are talking about Rolex which means all bets are off and I’m very likely to be proven wrong.
ScrantonStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 09:00 AM   #17
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Like anything, I think it will depend on availability, scarcity and desirability. They are a bit too bright for my taste, but if Rolex discontinues any, that may drive up value in the future.

I don't think too much about buying a watch for investment. Buy what you like, wear it and enjoy it.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 09:30 AM   #18
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I was a bit disappointed when trying on two OP41s in blue and yellow at the AD. Colour aside, I found them a bit boring and underwhelming. Also, crown action felt kind of dainty to me. Honestly, I'd much rather have a Sub 124060 for €2k more where I live. I think these colourful OP's are a bit of a fad. I can't see them being long term classic, personally.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:25 PM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Oh,they will remain popular .Lots of interest in them .Funky at a low price .
Turquoise blue/Yellow/Green .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:26 PM   #20
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I think some colors will be more popular than others.
Old 16 January 2021, 02:10 PM   #21
McDusty
"TRF" Member

If you decide you don't like quickly and its in like new order flipping should be fine. Just look at what is selling on greys first.

Bright colors seem fun, but appeal will be more limited long term. So if long term value is a concern get a more classic color OP or Explorer.

Or get a Explorer / OP mash up. Best of both worlds
McDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 01:04 AM   #22
CashGap
"TRF" Member

I think they'll age well. Particularly if the colors have a limited selling period, cycling out after three (?) years for example for new colors. Then folks will be looking for the one they missed.

They will also likely expand the pool of Rolex buyers. And the one who purchased the yellow dial in 2020 because it was "cute" might deep dive into the brand and start to want the premium references.

I'm really trying to accept the double indices. Give me another couple months, I'll get there.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote