The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2021, 05:00 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

New Sub : AD possible or go through Grey?

For a new Sub Date, is it at all possible to walk into an AD with no prior relationship and get put on a legit waiting list? Or is going grey the only answer right now? I wouldn't necessarily mind waiting 6 months to a year if I do have a realistic chance of getting one. If not might as well pay the premium for grey.

FWIW, I'm in the SF Bay Area which I imagine is a ridiculously competitive market.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:06 AM   #2
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
It’s a bit like asking your friend at a bar “do you think that pretty girl over there will talk to me?”

There’s only one way to find out...
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:12 AM   #3
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Call them all up and work with the one that gives you the best answer.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:19 AM   #4
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Yes, I believe there's a very good chance you could get one within 6 months to a year.

Explain to the AD you understand how hard the market is right now and that availability is sparse. You want to express your interest to obtain the piece for this _____ (insert life event here...birthday, graduation, promotion, etcc.) within the next year and it would be greatly appreciated if they consider you.

Buy a little something on your way out and pop in every other month or so to re-express interest. I guarantee you will get a Sub.

I've been able to acquire a Sub ND, SD43, and 2x BLROs this way.

I lucked into a Hulk in Hawaii when my wife walked into the Rolex AD with Louis Vuitton bags and they broke it out of the back room.

White dial Daytona is next but it's for the wife.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:23 AM   #5
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Is water wet?
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:29 AM   #6
Elzombo
"TRF" Member

I’m in the same boat as you: ready to purchase my first Rolex and debating on which route to take. While I know I’m not “entitled” to any model, I don’t think I’m asking for the hardest to acquire model (SS black Sub). I just wish I could get an honest answer. Using the pretty girl at the bar analogy, you are correct that you never know unless you ask, but I can appreciate a straightforward, “No thank you.” rather than a completely ambiguous response. It is possible for an AD to be honest and say that unless you’re an established client the answer is going to be no. That way at least you know it means move along and explore the gray market to acquire your first Rolex.
Elzombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:35 AM   #7
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Z blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
It’s a bit like asking your friend at a bar “do you think that pretty girl over there will talk to me?”

Best answer
MacanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:36 AM   #8
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
Yes, I believe there's a very good chance you could get one within 6 months to a year.

Explain to the AD you understand how hard the market is right now and that availability is sparse. You want to express your interest to obtain the piece for this _____ (insert life event here...birthday, graduation, promotion, etcc.) within the next year and it would be greatly appreciated if they consider you.

Buy a little something on your way out and pop in every other month or so to re-express interest. I guarantee you will get a Sub.

I've been able to acquire a Sub ND, SD43, and 2x BLROs this way.

I lucked into a Hulk in Hawaii when my wife walked into the Rolex AD with Louis Vuitton bags and they broke it out of the back room.

White dial Daytona is next but it's for the wife.
Small note: the Hulk was bundled with a DJ36. Still a nice deal.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:37 AM   #9
kpinthebay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610 or dads
Quote:

So for me, the Rolex AD will say no way.
Old 16 January 2021, 05:55 AM   #10
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
For a new Sub Date, is it at all possible to walk into an AD with no prior relationship and get put on a legit waiting list? Or is going grey the only answer right now? I wouldn't necessarily mind waiting 6 months to a year if I do have a realistic chance of getting one. If not might as well pay the premium for grey.

FWIW, I'm in the SF Bay Area which I imagine is a ridiculously competitive market.
Tough call, AD prob not for years, grey, overpay!
Old 16 January 2021, 06:05 AM   #11
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
For an LN? Yes

LV? Little chance
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 07:03 AM   #12
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
AD is possible with a wait. If time is money, simply go grey. I'm also in the Bay and obtained my first 114060 by calling around, establishing rapport, stopping by, and with some fortuitous timing obtained my Sub. This maybe more of an exception, but with a little leg work, calls, etc.. you may land one by the summer.

Best of luck.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 07:10 AM   #13
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post

I think if you really want, $4k above MSRP is nothing, which is actually $3K about MSRP as you'll be skipping tax. Daytona started with similar but after a year, it went over twice MSRP.

For $3K more, I don't think waiting a year or two makes sense!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 07:29 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
We’ve seen quite a few incomings here since release and some of those are first timers like yourself, so I’d say yes
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 11:54 AM   #15
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
Small note: the Hulk was bundled with a DJ36. Still a nice deal.
Thank you.

I’m not ashamed to admit the bundle aspect as per my thread. It was a walk in acquisition but I can see how it is misleading to the “dreamers”
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 12:47 PM   #16
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Allow me to interject some reality.

You will not get one from any AD. Especially in your area. Not going to happen.

My advice: Buy from a trusted seller. You'll thank me later. Get the watch, enjoy it, form a bond with it, form memories, celebrate whatever it is you want to celebrate, and most importantly: you get to keep your dignity and not deal with any BS. That's easily worth 5k, at least.

Then, if you are really set on trying to get one at retail, continue your little quest to get one from the AD. If you somehow do (spoiler: it wont happen without you spending on a bunch of other stuff), then you can sell one of them to recoup most of your premium on the initial secondary market purchase.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:03 PM   #17
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I been to all the bay dealers and
I think try a gentleman’s approach express interest without showing frustration
Indicate it’s your first purchase what you dreamed of and like someone above said make polite courtesy follow ups and probably have a pretty decent chance.

Some dealers I been seem less than caring but some have been welcoming
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:11 PM   #18
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
In the 5th largest economy in the world ,grey shouldnt be a problem.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:53 PM   #19
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
New Sub : AD possible or go through Grey?

Realistically, 6 months to 1 year wait for a brand new customer is not realistic. Some obscure AD, maybe, definitely not in the Bay Area

Go grey and pay the premium, which isn’t too much for a Sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:56 PM   #20
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I think a random walk in buy is unlikely but asking nicely and being willing to wait a while, I’d say yes. My advice is to always visit in person, AD’s get dozens of phone calls everyday.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:28 PM   #21
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I think it’s very possible if it’s the LN. Now if it’s the LV, Blro, blnr, ss daytona or skyd it will be a different story.
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:35 PM   #22
rjack19
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126040-001
yes it is possible! I walked in an AD here in vegas to show my face and develop a relationship. asked about new 2020 subs. was initially to none were available. handed the salesman card. he came back with a new sub!!! no prior purchase history and first time in store
rjack19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:40 PM   #23
rmags
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15210 & 124060
Difficult, probably...impossible, no. I’m obviously in the minority, but I walked into a Bay Area AD last November and was able to purchase a 124060 without any previous history. The SA had already put me on the “list” when he asked me to wait as he walked over to his manager. The manager remembered my name from previous emails I had sent him several weeks prior. He leaned over and told me they had one for me.
rmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:42 PM   #24
JebM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Go in and give it a try. They’ll be making them for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:47 PM   #25
kizerman
Banned

Don't buy from a grey, it's not that difficult. Stop by and AD, express your interest and stop in occasionally being polite and non pushy. you'll be surprised how well it works. These are mass produced watches and the availability is greater than you think.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:31 PM   #26
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
You asked so, in my opinion do NOT go grey. By doing so one only feeds the beast. Take your time to visit AD's. Being from the SF bay myself, I know competition is fierce especially when competing with the unlimited funds of the turist market. But now may be the time to go chat up a few AD's around you. I would also hit up Dublin/Pleasanton, San Jose, Los Gatos wait scratch out Los Gatos... all joking aside, go talk to them, bring them into your story as to why do you want it, to mark an achievement, special occasion or simply starting a collection as a collection starts with one and the one you want to start with is the Sub. I would not ask for the K2, BLNR, BLRO, DAYTONA etc. But would ask for a submariner date or none. No need to kiss up, but yes be genuine as to why you want the piece. At least that is what worked for me...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:41 PM   #27
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Exactly
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:59 AM   #28
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Try the AD route give it some time, if that doesn't work out you can always go grey. I would recommed using grey only as a last resort.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 01:53 AM   #29
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
You should try your luck by going to Rolex boutique/ADs. If you are pretty lucky, you will get your watch in a reasonable wait time.

I am very lucky with Rolex, I got all my Rolexes from boutique/AD in a very short time.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 02:04 AM   #30
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:

Love it!!! 100%
4 Aussies is online now   Reply With Quote