The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2021, 12:50 PM   #3721
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great find and a great cobbler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 12:55 PM   #3722
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Great find and a great cobbler

Thanks - haven't taken them to the Cobbler yet...these are as I found them with some Saphir Cordovan Cream left on for 24 hours and another brushing after initial clean-up.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 03:59 PM   #3723
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I really want a pair of nice loafers. Been thinking about this while WFH. Something that would not look out of place with jeans or business casual type dress pants. Nothing like a suit. Think Khakis and an un-tucked button down, short sleeve shirt.

I always default to the Gucci Horsebit Leather Loafers but what do others recommend?
https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/c/men...73627BYX002613
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 05:44 PM   #3724
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I really want a pair of nice loafers. Been thinking about this while WFH. Something that would not look out of place with jeans or business casual type dress pants. Nothing like a suit. Think Khakis and an un-tucked button down, short sleeve shirt.

I always default to the Gucci Horsebit Leather Loafers but what do others recommend?
Alden unlined LHS loafers. Because they’re GY welted, the soles won’t be as thin as the Gucci loafers but the Alden LHS will last years. Just need to send them in to Alden to get resolved.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 11:57 PM   #3725
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post

The Gucci's are a classic and would do well. I do think they're kind of expensive for what they are, but that's par for the course. Regarding the suggestion about the Alden leisure handsewn, I agree it's a great shoe and would also fit the bill, but the sizing can be a bit tricky. A lot of men experience tightness across the instep (including me). So, try before you buy if you go that way.

Also, now that Brooks Brothers has stopped carrying Alden, it will probably be harder to find an unlined version of the LHS (at least new). But the lined ones are still nice.

If you want to go with Alden but decide the LHS isn't for you, you might want to look at the full strap slip on. It's also available in shell cordovan, and I've found the fit to be a little more forgiving.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 01:25 AM   #3726
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Just got them cleaned up, what an awesome local find!!

Some vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings in Burgundy Shell Cordovan...looked them up and they are the 93605, from around 1968-72 I'm thinking..sheesh, looks like they've never been worn.

Interesting, going to *maybe* have to send them to my Cobbler for a half-heel and a Topy possibly, maybe a French Tip? These have what's called a "suicide" heel...haven't even worn them yet.

Wow, look unworn. Congrats!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:19 AM   #3727
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks JBZ and texasmade! I will look into Aldens and make sure to try on the Gucci before buying. I was worried about the fit and buying sight unseen.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:42 AM   #3728
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
The Gucci's are a classic and would do well. I do think they're kind of expensive for what they are, but that's par for the course. Regarding the suggestion about the Alden leisure handsewn, I agree it's a great shoe and would also fit the bill, but the sizing can be a bit tricky. A lot of men experience tightness across the instep (including me). So, try before you buy if you go that way.

Also, now that Brooks Brothers has stopped carrying Alden, it will probably be harder to find an unlined version of the LHS (at least new). But the lined ones are still nice.

If you want to go with Alden but decide the LHS isn't for you, you might want to look at the full strap slip on. It's also available in shell cordovan, and I've found the fit to be a little more forgiving.
J Crew may have the unlined ones come warmer weather.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 12:39 AM   #3729
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
J Crew may have the unlined ones come warmer weather.
Good to know. I didn't realize J Crew carried that model, but I haven't looked at their website in awhile. I imagine there may be some independent shoe retailers out there (maybe The Shoemart or Leather Soul) that might carry an unlined version from time to time.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:10 AM   #3730
swils8610

Can’t go wrong with Alden loafers. Rancourt also makes a great loafer which I own. Look at Ferragamo’s also.

Old 15 January 2021, 05:32 AM   #3731
Phrank

Watch: ♕
So wore these 1968-1972 Vintage Florsheim Cordovan LWB 93605 for the first time today, Goodyear Welted, V-Cleat as previous post, the shoes feel phenomenal on the foot, Florsheim made some superb shoes back in the day. This shoe is a tank!

Have some Brass Toe Caps/French Point on order, going to leave the 89 nail "suicide" heel for now, no Topy to spoil the sole and just enjoy these.

What a great local find in a dusty old box...wow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Florshiem_Parklot.jpg (177.2 KB, 406 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 12:43 AM   #3732
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Planning on picking up some black chelsea boots this weekend.

Any thoughts?

Was thinking of trying Carmina. Don't have any yet, but I've heard good things.
Old 3 April 2021, 02:04 AM   #3733
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

My first pair of luxury shoes in my life: Vintage Mezlan Platinum Botero in Alligator leather along with my John Alan Woodward handmade Alligator belt and wallet. Tudor Black Bay Burgundy with the crew.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Doug5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 04:48 AM   #3734
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Planning on picking up some black chelsea boots this weekend.

Any thoughts?

Was thinking of trying Carmina. Don't have any yet, but I've heard good things.
RM Williams Comfort Craftsman. I have two pairs.

Crocket & Jones Chelsea VIII. Tried these on as well and love the 341 last.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 3 April 2021, 11:42 PM   #3735
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Yeah, I have chelsea VIIIs in brown suede that I love.

Might stop by RM again. Was always interested in them but the people working at the soho location weren't much help the last time I was there.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
Old 3 November 2021, 01:05 AM   #3736
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just picked these up a few days ago. Really liking them.

Comfort craftsman in dark tan.

Very comfortable out of the box. Don't know if they compare favorably against C&J at a somewhat similar price point but will see how they hold up.

Old 3 November 2021, 07:19 AM   #3737
swils8610

Nice pick up!

Old 3 November 2021, 07:47 AM   #3738
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Nice pick up!

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Old 4 November 2021, 09:56 PM   #3739
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
So wore these 1968-1972 Vintage Florsheim Cordovan LWB 93605 for the first time today

What a great local find in a dusty old box...wow!
Wow is right! Scuff up those soles, young man, before they slip out from under you!
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:44 AM   #3740
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Any thoughts here?

Vs

Old 17 November 2021, 11:01 AM   #3741
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Any thoughts here?

Vs

Both Trickers and Viberg make nice Boots. Pick either and you can’t go wrong. I don’t have any Trickers but do have a pair of Vibergs. Personally I would go with Viberg.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 November 2021, 11:13 AM   #3742
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Both Trickers and Viberg make nice Boots. Pick either and you can’t go wrong. I don’t have any Trickers but do have a pair of Vibergs. Personally I would go with Viberg.

Thanks for the input Dan. I have a pair of trickers stowe country boots and they’ve been really great so far. Of course the pull of viberg is strong. Living in buffalo I’m seeking something with a commando sole as the regular dainites sometimes seem like ice skates in the winter.
Old 17 November 2021, 12:17 PM   #3743
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input Dan. I have a pair of trickers stowe country boots and they’ve been really great so far. Of course the pull of viberg is strong. Living in buffalo I’m seeking something with a commando sole as the regular dainites sometimes seem like ice skates in the winter.
All I know is that it was something I certainly looked forward to with great anticipation at the time and for me it worked out well. I think they have a few service boots on ridgeway soles on Viberg's web site which would serve your purpose as well.

I hardly ever seriously consider getting anymore boots at this point just because I have soo many but lately the two I was seriously considering where either another pair of Vibergs or a pair of Nicks. Nicks are really well made boots as are Vibergs but there's just something about the Viberg Service boot that looks and works real well for me. However it's just a bit harder to get it in the D width.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 November 2021, 02:13 PM   #3744
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Just picked these up a few days ago. Really liking them.

Comfort craftsman in dark tan.

Very comfortable out of the box. Don't know if they compare favorably against C&J at a somewhat similar price point but will see how they hold up.

Sorry I missed this one. You will love them! Mine have worn very well over five years despite even kicking the toe into a bent steel grate.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 17 November 2021, 02:23 PM   #3745
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
X2 on Dainite.

I really like the waxy Kudu Trickers.

The Horween Dublin is an excellent leather however, I would go with kudu if it is going to be a wet weather boot.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 17 November 2021, 02:34 PM   #3746
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Take a look at Allen Edmonds new Freeport boot. I just got a pair in suede and the sole is even better than my traditional vibram lugged sole on wet tile. Vastly better than dainite. They come in natural chromexcel which would be good for weather.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 17 November 2021, 02:51 PM   #3747
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
All I know is that it was something I certainly looked forward to with great anticipation at the time and for me it worked out well. I think they have a few service boots on ridgeway soles on Viberg's web site which would serve your purpose as well.

I hardly ever seriously consider getting anymore boots at this point just because I have soo many but lately the two I was seriously considering where either another pair of Vibergs or a pair of Nicks. Nicks are really well made boots as are Vibergs but there's just something about the Viberg Service boot that looks and works real well for me. However it's just a bit harder to get it in the D width.

I’ll look into nicks as well thanks Dan.
Old 17 November 2021, 02:53 PM   #3748
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
X2 on Dainite.

I really like the waxy Kudu Trickers.

The Horween Dublin is an excellent leather however, I would go with kudu if it is going to be a wet weather boot.

Quote:
Take a look at Allen Edmonds new Freeport boot. I just got a pair in suede and the sole is even better than my traditional vibram lugged sole on wet tile. Vastly better than dainite. They come in natural chromexcel which would be good for weather.

Thanks for the input on the Dublin leather. I’ll definitely give AE a look too. I love my park avenues and another pair of brogues I have from them. I am more likely to wear a boot than a dress shoe these days. Well rather since always haha
Old 17 November 2021, 08:01 PM   #3749
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll look into nicks as well thanks Dan.
I woul say this about the two without owning a pair of Nicks boots. For one your not going to find a sleek last with Nick boots. Construction between the two are on pair if not better way better on a pair of Nicks work boots. Checkout Youtube there is a guy that cuts boots in half if I find a link later I’ll post it. He doesn’t cut any Vibergs in half but he does at least on Nicks work boots.

There’s the Urban logger from Nicks with a combat sole I’ve contemplated getting. However the main reason I’m still not convinced is the look and fit of Vibergss last that works for me.

Anyway in my opinion there is no comparison when it comes to a boot that either of these make and a boot from AE. You may be able to resolve any of the three but the thicknesses of the leather they use for one thing is entirely different. Also AEs quality out the door is known to be spotty. Customer service in getting fixed might be tops but chances you”ll need it much greater. With Nicks for one thing you also have a choice of a number of different types of leathers if you choose one of their custom boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 November 2021, 01:30 AM   #3750
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I went with the viberg. Couldn’t help myself. Might grab something else in addition for really sloppy weather. Thx guys