The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 March 2020, 10:37 PM   #121
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
To me, and again I am not a professional, it means that when I see large swings day to day it points to uncertainty in the markets and a lack of confidence which can go downhill very fast. A dangerous place for casual investors to dabble unless they have a very strong stomach or the professional guidance needed to deploy more complex strategies.
Got it and agreed. Which was my idea behind offering a relatively simple (finite loss) strategy that could take advantage of the uncertainty for less experienced investors. Thanks.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 10:46 PM   #122
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
John I don’t have any actionable financial advice for strangers on a watch forum.

Seeing as you’re apparently a hedge fund manager I can see why this sort of market is very profitable for you but for many of us we are just looking for ways to protect capital. We are not professionals.

Coming in after close to call out random strangers on TRF about an opinion on market direction seems like an odd move for someone in your profession.
Quote:
To me, and again I am not a professional, it means that when I see large swings day to day it points to uncertainty in the markets and a lack of confidence which can go downhill very fast. A dangerous place for casual investors to dabble unless they have a very strong stomach or the professional guidance needed to deploy more complex strategies.
Ditto.

There’s a lot of technical jargon here and that’s great for seasoned pros, but just like watches, there are many different types of investors. There are many who are experienced (the watch connoisseurs if you will) and many who are not (guys like me).

There’s one thing I’ve learned after being in invested the markets for the last 31 years and that is, they go up and they go down and no one know precisely where the top or the bottom occurs.

In between, there’s ups and downs and times like these require patience.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 10:59 PM   #123
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Got it and agreed. Which was my idea behind offering a relatively simple (finite loss) strategy that could take advantage of the uncertainty for less experienced investors. Thanks.

I understand that but most investors here would need some professional guidance to deploy a straddle. As you know not everyone has the ability to trade options on their account and for good reason.

My issue with your post yesterday was not with the information itself but rather the manner in which you chose to convey it.
Old 3 March 2020, 11:14 PM   #124
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
I understand that but most investors here would need some professional guidance to deploy a straddle. As you know not everyone has the ability to trade options on their account and for good reason.

My issue with your post yesterday was not with the information itself but rather the manner in which you chose to convey it.
I am shocked, first time I pissed someone off!
Old 3 March 2020, 11:20 PM   #125
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Can we assume without giving advice your general expectation is continued volatility without a sustained move up or down?
Old 3 March 2020, 11:28 PM   #126
Bryant Park
Banned

I think that over near and midterm there is a lot more potential negative headline risk then positive. I think valuations had fully built in every optimistic assumption and the markets are now held hostage to emotion. All considered I have a heavy negative bias. Particularly towards bank names given the likelihood central banks will intervene to keep rates low squeezing margins.

Against that backdrop great time to cherry pick names that get oversold that you want to own as long term core holdings. Given that in high vol periods such as this names all tend to trade in tandem based on swings use the moves to upgrade portfolio but simultaneously selling names you are skeptical of and buying long term holds. In that way you are largely market neutral but credit specific improved.
Old 3 March 2020, 11:49 PM   #127
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I don't mind reading others' opinions but I suggest that everyone should have a qualified financial advisor whom you trust. Find a good one with a track record. I'll stick my neck out and say that they know more than we do. My guy has done well for me and even though my financial setup in retirement often gets criticized, I have done well and am adequately funded.

I love the comments I get like "If you had bought xyz you would have twice as much."
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 11:50 PM   #128
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Having followed your and Tom’s back and forth across multiple thread no less and chanting “fight! Fight! Fight!” under my breath, I will say this. Sometimes directly or indirectly showcasing how smart or knowledgeable you think you are tends to bring out the devil’s advocate in others. I’ve learned that humility in all things tends to win friends and influence people rather than actually being right.

Bryant/John, it only takes a cursory read of your post history to see that you may not intend to brag about your collection or knowledge, but I can say truthfully that it does come across that way sometimes regardless of your intentions.

Anyway, since there is no more drama here I will slink away back to the Patek forums - Jin out
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 12:03 AM   #129
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Having followed your and Tom’s back and forth across multiple thread no less and chanting “fight! Fight! Fight!” under my breath, I will say this. Sometimes directly or indirectly showcasing how smart or knowledgeable you think you are tends to bring out the devil’s advocate in others. I’ve learned that humility in all things tends to win friends and influence people rather than actually being right.

Bryant/John, it only takes a cursory read of your post history to see that you may not intend to brag about your collection or knowledge, but I can say truthfully that it does come across that way sometimes regardless of your intentions.

Anyway, since there is no more drama here I will slink away back to the Patek forums - Jin out
Certain irony to feeling self important enough to tell others to display humility.

Thanks.
Old 4 March 2020, 12:04 AM   #130
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
watching these futures swing is giving me whiplash.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 12:04 AM   #131
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand that but most investors here would need some professional guidance to deploy a straddle. As you know not everyone has the ability to trade options on their account and for good reason..
I am one of those (inexperienced) and would love to know what a straddle is and how to deploy it.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 12:12 AM   #132
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I am one of those (inexperienced) and would love to know what a straddle is and how to deploy it.
I had to look it up.

Way too advanced for me.

I am not looking to get too technical either. I am not looking to get rich in the markets. Just smart long term investing.

I invest with my FA. At this point it is my goals and he implements.

I love learning about this. But tons of people think they can game the system. Tons of people go broke trying. If I can eek out a meager 5-6 points consistently over the years, I will be very happy.

Old 4 March 2020, 12:15 AM   #133
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...no-matter.aspx

Here is a very basic summary. Total risk is the cost of the option contracts if they expire out of the money. The key is pricing and would strongly suggest a professional advise in its usage.

These strategies are hardly "gaming" the system but instead hedging risk.
Old 4 March 2020, 12:24 AM   #134
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
watching these futures swing is giving me whiplash.

Algos reacting to news, wait for after 10 to get a sense of the trade
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 12:25 AM   #135
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Talking Stocks 2.0

Quote:

I agree with Seth’s point above on your post.

Any complex tactical position requires a strong set of quantitative data to help the analyst choose the strength of each side in a straddle. Then you really need a well formed algorithm that is repeatedly tested many times each day to confirm its chi-squared test (and variants) for fitness.

If you are a tactical investor, you also need very high confidence in your transaction processing house.

Just ask those RobinHood speculators how that worked out yesterday...

Last thing - even if you’re a savant and can do it all in your head like John Nash - someone else’s machine will take the same raw data and hit the same answer as you. Now it’s the guy who gets the trade recorded first that wins the race. Big houses spend millions per year to have high-speed, zero latency access to the trading servers.

Bottom line, we civilians are pretty much slow on the trigger compared to our brokerage houses that can actually use our trades to front-run our tactics.

I like trading for the sport of it but don’t play at the tactical level - better for me to strive for balance and not get overweighted into sectors that have become overheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 12:30 AM   #136
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Algos reacting to news, wait for after 10 to get a sense of the trade
Algorithmic trading does not factor news. It is entirely machine driven based on factors such as volume, price, and timing. It is efficiency and momentum based. It will react to human intervention to news events however.
Old 4 March 2020, 12:32 AM   #137
smohr33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
I don't mind reading others' opinions but I suggest that everyone should have a qualified financial advisor whom you trust. Find a good one with a track record. I'll stick my neck out and say that they know more than we do. My guy has done well for me and even though my financial setup in retirement often gets criticized, I have done well and am adequately funded.

I love the comments I get like "If you had bought xyz you would have twice as much."
Advisors are largely salespeople, paid by you, from your earnings, to push products that are advantageous to them and their firms.

An advisor would have to guarantee to me in writing that he could beat the total return I get on my self-advised lazy portfolio every year for the next 30 years. I don't see that happening, and I'm not willing to siphon off 1% or more of my portfolio to fund my advisors retirement.

I'm happier and wealthier since I dumped my advisor.
smohr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 12:51 AM   #138
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I only check in to TRF to consult strangers for medical advice.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 12:52 AM   #139
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Advisors are largely salespeople, paid by you, from your earnings, to push products that are advantageous to them and their firms.

An advisor would have to guarantee to me in writing that he could beat the total return I get on my self-advised lazy portfolio every year for the next 30 years. I don't see that happening, and I'm not willing to siphon off 1% or more of my portfolio to fund my advisors retirement.

I'm happier and wealthier since I dumped my advisor.
I struggle with this.

Can your lazy portfolio guarantee the same thing?

I am not saying you are wrong. Not by a long shot. But I have done a good amount of research on this. And a lazy portfolio will not be balanced the way a managed portfolio will be.

So far, I have a very reasonable rate of return. Even with the most recent hits. Yes, I pay my fees. But I get a service for that, and again, so far I am satisfied with this service.

I wonder if I should move over to a simply low fee fund. Tony Robbins certainly says I should.

In a challenging time like this, I am grateful for my guy. Watching trends and making changes based on my goals and the plan that we set up. He has access to incredible amount of data and tools that I could not dream of.

Hard to say what is right. My opinion anyway. I suppose it depends largely on the person involved and their own habits and comfort levels.

Old 4 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #140
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I only check in to TRF to consult strangers for medical advice.

smart. only way to do it.

Old 4 March 2020, 01:00 AM   #141
smohr33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I struggle with this.

Can your lazy portfolio guarantee the same thing?

I am not saying you are wrong. Not by a long shot. But I have done a good amount of research on this. And a lazy portfolio will not be balanced the way a managed portfolio will be.

So far, I have a very reasonable rate of return. Even with the most recent hits. Yes, I pay my fees. But I get a service for that, and again, so far I am satisfied with this service.

I wonder if I should move over to a simply low fee fund. Tony Robbins certainly says I should.

In a challenging time like this, I am grateful for my guy. Watching trends and making changes based on my goals and the plan that we set up. He has access to incredible amount of data and tools that I could not dream of.

Hard to say what is right. My opinion anyway. I suppose it depends largely on the person involved and their own habits and comfort levels.
I own the entire market, at market weight. My returns are what the market provides, and I accept that. The last few years have been very good. There were many years while I had an advisor that my portfolio returned less than the market average.

I rebalence one annually based on my investment policy statement, and am able to completely tune out news such as the last two weeks as I have an asset allocation that I can sleep at night with.

I still own some single stocks in a taxable account that my previous advisor purchased for me, over weighting me in tech slightly, but I've been tax loss harvesting or selling and taking minimal long term cap gains on those to completely eliminate single stocks from my portfolio.

A book I highly recommend: https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Gu.../dp/0470067365
smohr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 01:03 AM   #142
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stocks surge after the Fed cuts rates by half a point

Mistake in my opinion as this will do nothing except give a false sense of security

Taking more off today, well that was a short window. Building cash

Risk happens fast
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 4 March 2020, 01:38 AM   #143
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Mistake in my opinion as this will do nothing except give a false sense of security

Taking more off today, well that was a short window. Building cash

Risk happens fast
I agree, there's not much ammo left in the Fed's tank, why are they pulling the trigger on this so soon?
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 01:45 AM   #144
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I agree, there's not much ammo left in the Fed's tank, why are they pulling the trigger on this so soon?
I don't want to derail this thread as well but the reasons are clear, to me at least.

Bottomline is that there is little left when the next reason to lower occurs.
Old 4 March 2020, 02:27 AM   #145
mcnealstash
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
I don't want to derail this thread as well but the reasons are clear, to me at least.

Bottomline is that there is little left when the next reason to lower occurs.
So if more bad news keeps coming our way- say something like a big outbreak in the U.S.- are you saying then that we are in deep doo doo?

I'm confused about the jig saw effect happening right now- I suppose it's because people are "buying the dip." A lot of this, however, feels like FOMO to me, especially yesterday's insane spike. Is the pricing on stocks right now baking in the potentially bad earnings that stocks could be reporting later this year for Q1 and Q2? Or was that taken into account of last week with the correction?

Sorry I am clearly not as savvy a technical trader as you are (not sure if my questions are even relevant to what you're talking about...), but I do appreciate your daily insights/commentary- I've been following this thread religiously since it was started as well as the older investment thread.

I'm on the younger side (early 30's) and have a lot of interest in more active portfolio management strategy. I've dabbled in stocks since I was about 21 or so and while I've done well in my time in the markets (rode a lot of tech/IT hype trains like Apple, Tesla, AMD, Nvidia) I realize a few things now:

a. I was investing extremely recklessly by dedicating a significant portion of my portfolio on one or two companies (sometimes >80% of the portfolio). Granted it was not a ton of money and it would have been okay if I lost it all...
b. I got extremely lucky- I never got burned by any of my "picks."
b. The time period in which I was investing was perhaps one of the most prosperous periods ever to be "in" the stock market (especially in tech), and therefore I am probably biased in one way or another because of it.

I sold all my non-bond positions last Monday, and now have abut 20% bonds, 30% stocks (fortunately bought a little before the rise yesterady), and now have ~50% of my portfolio in cash "waiting in the wings" for any opportunities. I read Motley fool, Schwab insights, WSJ, NYT, and a little bit of reddit. I also aggressively follow news relating to a pretty short list of companies- the vast majority of these are blue chip stocks, however.

What are some things that I can do to better myself as an investor and teach myself about portfolio management and maybe even options trading? Or ways that I can expand my horizon beyond large cap blue chip companies.
mcnealstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 04:06 AM   #146
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post
So if more bad news keeps coming our way- say something like a big outbreak in the U.S.- are you saying then that we are in deep doo doo?

What are some things that I can do to better myself as an investor and teach myself about portfolio management and maybe even options trading? Or ways that I can expand my horizon beyond large cap blue chip companies.
Fed Funds rate is now in the range of 1.00% to 1.25%. There is little left if there is a real crisis like 2008. This cut today actually (IMHO) makes things worse.

You have time on your side, there are many great resources out there, books, websites etc., to learn. Depending on who your broker is, they have resources. I use Schwab because I like their trading tools and research.
Old 4 March 2020, 04:25 AM   #147
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Fed Funds rate is now in the range of 1.00% to 1.25%. There is little left if there is a real crisis like 2008. This cut today actually (IMHO) makes things worse...
The fact that the market still tanked today, even after a massive fed drop in interest rates, is probably the most worrisome indicator on the direction of the market.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 04:29 AM   #148
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
The fact that the market still tanked today, even after a massive fed drop in interest rates, is probably the most worrisome indicator on the direction of the market.
Completely agree, it was a panic reaction that would never have done anything.

We are now worse off
Old 4 March 2020, 04:46 AM   #149
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Yes the problem is that on the one hand we are told by policy makers and federal agencies not to worry, it's all under control. On the other hand, let's do an emergency rate cut not employed since 2008. While I understand that's intended to have a broad stabilizing effect on the economy, it's more narrow effect on the markets today probably isn't what was anticipated.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 04:49 AM   #150
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Yes the problem is that on the one hand we are told by policy makers and federal agencies not to worry, it's all under control. On the other hand, let's do an emergency rate cut not employed since 2008. While I understand that's intended to have a broad stabilizing effect on the economy, it's more narrow effect on the markets today probably isn't what was anticipated.

I'm not liking this chart at all