The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2021, 06:02 AM   #91
shinshin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicaman View Post
Hey Shinshin

Did you get this and your other recent purchase at an AD in Japan? I also live in Japan. I’ve been told by a few people here that the best way to get a SS watch here is to pretty much go in to the store everyday to see if they have got any new deliveries. I’m not sure how true it is but I’ve been told by a few people that the ADs here don’t play games with most people. A good friend of mine has got 3 Daytonas, two subs (one being a Hulk) and two Sea Dwellers all from walking into an AD everyday to see what they had (he worked around the corner from the AD). Is this what you do also?
Yes
shinshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 06:28 AM   #92
Watch Maniac
"TRF" Member

Hmmmmmm
Watch Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 08:37 AM   #93
Aterth
Banned

It is so pretty, i love it. Congratulations.
Aterth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 10:07 AM   #94
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
nah, still calling bs
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 02:57 PM   #95
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Congratulations to you. Very very lucky.

No offense, just very sad and disheartening when others can’t buy a break like that from their AD.

Some have been way cool to our ADs, been going there for years and have multiple purchases over several years and can’t even get that watch. Sad.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2021, 04:54 PM   #96
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by scombs263 View Post
Congratulations to you. Very very lucky.

No offense, just very sad and disheartening when others can’t buy a break like that from their AD.

Some have been way cool to our ADs, been going there for years and have multiple purchases over several years and can’t even get that watch. Sad.

It seems like the more you do for them the less they have to do for you. It’s crazy really...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 12:28 AM   #97
GMTme
"TRF" Member

Great piece and a great pickup! Congrats!
GMTme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 12:56 AM   #98
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Looks like too many members here are always assuming the market is the same around the globe....

shinshin may be having success by being persistent and being in the right market
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:05 AM   #99
aff1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well on two of them he turned water into wine so that bumped him up 5 places.
aff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:19 AM   #100
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I too, looked up his IG. It appears he does own these watches. More importantly, I can't believe this thread is still going.......
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:43 AM   #101
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I too, looked up his IG. It appears he does own these watches. More importantly, I can't believe this thread is still going.......

There is no reason to lock this thread. The OP seems to be telling the truth.

I wonder how many threads have been locked when members begin ridiculing the OP and attempting to call them out, and then a MOD locks the thread, and the OP may have been honest the whole time....
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 07:26 AM   #102
scorpiojai
"TRF" Member

Probably most, cuz ppl are jealous and a-holes because sitting on a computer in their undies at home makes them think its ok.

scorpiojai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 07:31 AM   #103
scorpiojai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinshin View Post
Yes

I scored an Exp II and a Deepsea just by cold calling for 2 weeks. Did this two different times. And I have yet to get anything in SS from my regular A/D eversince the Seadweller 43 in two tone came out - that was the last time I was offered anything even though I’ve spent close to $70k CAD there over the years on watches and jewellery for my wife.

Old 14 January 2021, 07:58 AM   #104
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Congratulations....i love how you are rattling the cage of all the Rolex Gurus here...

Believe it or not...very interesting read, even the long remarks...a learning tool for all.
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 08:31 AM   #105
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post

I wonder how many threads have been locked when members begin ridiculing the OP and attempting to call them out, and then a MOD locks the thread, and the OP may have been honest the whole time....

Odd reading comprehension on your part. I said nothing about locking the thread. I was simply speaking to the length of the thread. Be careful with your assumptions.

Your response to me is even odder since my first sentence was suggesting OP was telling the truth. I don't know how your take away was me suggesting the thread should have been locked.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:04 PM   #106
subboi
"TRF" Member

Buying from AD is different in each country ... there have been posting whereby AD are selling watches at grey prices .. that is allowed elsewhere, maybe not the US ... so visiting an AD is no different from going grey ...
subboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:11 PM   #107
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiojai View Post
Probably most, cuz ppl are jealous and a-holes because sitting on a computer in their undies at home makes them think its ok.

But you have class?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:05 PM   #108
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post

One of my first threads on TRF was locked cause I was looking for info on some vintage watches belonging to my dad. I was accused of trying to sell watches. It was pretty annoying.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:48 PM   #109
TopDog2315
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/16570/16220
Why are you guys still feeding this thread?

As mentioned above, you all know this is a classic example of trolling...

No need to get nasty, just move on!

Cheers

TopDog2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:07 AM   #110
studioJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog2315 View Post
As mentioned above, you all know this is a classic example of trolling...
Nope, it isn't.
studioJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:23 AM   #111
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I’m not sure what goes on with this OP but it’s taken me 40 plus years to acquire the same number of watches he has had incoming since he joined TRF July 2020?!

No offense to the OP but just thinking out loud here...
Old 16 January 2021, 01:49 AM   #112
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Maybe someone from Japan can comment on the strategy of just visiting every AD in Tokyo repeatedly, even daily perhaps, to obtain SS professional models.

Though I am not immersed in Japanese culture, I can totally accept that it's possible the Japanese ADs don't play waiting list or bundling games, or give preferential treatment to top customers, etc. I could totally see them saying the fairest and therefore best practice in their view is simply to sell the customer what they want when it is available.

In my case, I don't speak Japanese, and I don't care to fly to Japan for weeks to visit ADs over and over to try to get lucky. I have a job and my time actually justifies the grey prices compared to this strategy. I imagine I am not alone in that regard amongst the readers here.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:09 AM   #113
Ceaiu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Congrats OP!
Ceaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:11 AM   #114
Max 66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
Maybe someone from Japan can comment on the strategy of just visiting every AD in Tokyo repeatedly, even daily perhaps, to obtain SS professional models.

Though I am not immersed in Japanese culture, I can totally accept that it's possible the Japanese ADs don't play waiting list or bundling games, or give preferential treatment to top customers, etc. I could totally see them saying the fairest and therefore best practice in their view is simply to sell the customer what they want when it is available.

In my case, I don't speak Japanese, and I don't care to fly to Japan for weeks to visit ADs over and over to try to get lucky. I have a job and my time actually justifies the grey prices compared to this strategy. I imagine I am not alone in that regard amongst the readers here.
I am curious as well to hear comments from someone in Japan.
I assume that in Japan, like all over the world, ADs have clients that already purchased several watches, so why should they give any SS sporty watch to the first person that visits the showroom, rather than reward those that already spent several millions Yen to the AD?
Moreover I do not believe there will be a queue in front of Rolex ADs in Japan to purchase DJ or OP or Cellini, so why should ADs in Japan not adopt the tactic to sell a sporty watch to those that buy the less sought after watches?  
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:58 PM   #115
Leicaman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 66 View Post
I am curious as well to hear comments from someone in Japan.
I assume that in Japan, like all over the world, ADs have clients that already purchased several watches, so why should they give any SS sporty watch to the first person that visits the showroom, rather than reward those that already spent several millions Yen to the AD?
Moreover I do not believe there will be a queue in front of Rolex ADs in Japan to purchase DJ or OP or Cellini, so why should ADs in Japan not adopt the tactic to sell a sporty watch to those that buy the less sought after watches?  

As I said above, I live in Japan , and have done so for the last 16 years. I live around 25km north of Tokyo, in Saitama. There are a few ADs here but not as many as in Tokyo. Every AD I’ve visited has always told me the same, that they don’t take names or have any lists and that the only way to get a watch is to come in and see what they have taken delivery of.

A good Japanese friend of mine who has managed to get his hands on three Daytona’s told me the same thing. He Knows the manager at one of the ADs and he told me the same, that it’s just luck if you come in at the right time. Whether I totally believe this is always the case, I’m not sure. In the case of my friend, this is how he managed to get his three Daytona.

I follow a Japanese guy on Instagram that I sometimes DM. He has an insane collection of watches. I believe he adds over 100 watches per year to his collection (just last week he added a Patek 5930g, AP 26530st and a submariner date). He’s not the biggest fan of Rolex but he does have quite a few pieces in his collection including the platona. He told me he always gets the pieces at an AD and doesn’t buy grey. This leads me to believe that at least some of the Japanese ADs definitely do look after their very wealthy customers. I can’t see this guy going into a Rolex AD everyday to check to see what deliveries they have, especially as he doesn’t like Rolex too much.

I do think Shinshin is telling the truth and that he probably pops into his AD most days to see what they have. I noticed that on his Instagram he said it took him 6 months to get a BLRO. If he popped in everyday then I can believe this. His Instagram also looks pretty legit to me. The watches he has on there all match up with what he has posted on TRF.

If he is lying then it’s no skin off my nose. I don’t understand all the negative comments here, calling him a liar and worse. One poster even went so far as to claim the OP was doing it because he was lacking downstairs in the trouser department. Totally inappropriate and quite frankly pathetic.

If my good friend can get hold of three Daytona, submariner, hulk and deapsea all by walking into the AD everyday, I can’t see why Shinshin can’t do the same.

As a side note, I often peruse the grey dealer shops in Nakano (West Tokyo). There are probably around 20 or 30 grey dealers in Nakano broadway. Every Rolex watch imaginable is available there. I’ve seen everything there from rainbow Daytonas, rows of platonas and the odd Paul Newman. I’ve not asked to look at too many watches out of the cabinet but every watch I’ve seen was originally sold in another country, especially Italy. The last watch I looked at was sold at Selfridges, London.
Leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 03:17 PM   #116
shinshin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicaman View Post
As I said above, I live in Japan , and have done so for the last 16 years. I live around 25km north of Tokyo, in Saitama. There are a few ADs here but not as many as in Tokyo. Every AD I’ve visited has always told me the same, that they don’t take names or have any lists and that the only way to get a watch is to come in and see what they have taken delivery of.

A good Japanese friend of mine who has managed to get his hands on three Daytona’s told me the same thing. He Knows the manager at one of the ADs and he told me the same, that it’s just luck if you come in at the right time. Whether I totally believe this is always the case, I’m not sure. In the case of my friend, this is how he managed to get his three Daytona.

I follow a Japanese guy on Instagram that I sometimes DM. He has an insane collection of watches. I believe he adds over 100 watches per year to his collection (just last week he added a Patek 5930g, AP 26530st and a submariner date). He’s not the biggest fan of Rolex but he does have quite a few pieces in his collection including the platona. He told me he always gets the pieces at an AD and doesn’t buy grey. This leads me to believe that at least some of the Japanese ADs definitely do look after their very wealthy customers. I can’t see this guy going into a Rolex AD everyday to check to see what deliveries they have, especially as he doesn’t like Rolex too much.

I do think Shinshin is telling the truth and that he probably pops into his AD most days to see what they have. I noticed that on his Instagram he said it took him 6 months to get a BLRO. If he popped in everyday then I can believe this. His Instagram also looks pretty legit to me. The watches he has on there all match up with what he has posted on TRF.

If he is lying then it’s no skin off my nose. I don’t understand all the negative comments here, calling him a liar and worse. One poster even went so far as to claim the OP was doing it because he was lacking downstairs in the trouser department. Totally inappropriate and quite frankly pathetic.

If my good friend can get hold of three Daytona, submariner, hulk and deapsea all by walking into the AD everyday, I can’t see why Shinshin can’t do the same.

As a side note, I often peruse the grey dealer shops in Nakano (West Tokyo). There are probably around 20 or 30 grey dealers in Nakano broadway. Every Rolex watch imaginable is available there. I’ve seen everything there from rainbow Daytonas, rows of platonas and the odd Paul Newman. I’ve not asked to look at too many watches out of the cabinet but every watch I’ve seen was originally sold in another country, especially Italy. The last watch I looked at was sold at Selfridges, London.
Only VVIP and VIP can get a call from AD otherwise you need to visit AD many times.
Japanese AD always says it's just luck but it's not accurate. They judge you are a flipper or not. It has a kind of interview while talking with staff. It is the same in the USA.

I bought some SS hot piece from AD in the USA without purchase history.

When I bought a green sub, the staff brought me it before asking about availability. And I was told, the staff wanted to sell a green sub when it is available.
shinshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 06:54 PM   #117
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I walked into a random AD and picked all of these up yesterday , I guess it was my lucky day
Hilarious
Nice collection by the way.

tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:37 AM   #118
scorpiojai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
But you have class?

You were sitting in your undies weren’t you!? Lol its ok bud, these are unprecedented times.

Old 17 January 2021, 10:04 AM   #119
Jrbjr63
Banned

Wow! Congrats!
Jrbjr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:35 PM   #120
duncand111
Banned

Watch: Couple of Rolexes
Very funny thread!